Playoff Picture, what I want for Christmas

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 2 Weeks left, heres what has to happen for the Packers to play the vikings in the first round.

WEEK 16 games
* Pack beats Seattle
* Carolina beats the NY Giants
* Washington beats Dallas
Chicago beats vikings (outside in the the cold)
Eagles beat Denver

WEEK 17 games
* Eagles beat Dallas
*NY Giants beat the vikings
*Pack loses to Arizona

If the above were to happen the playoffs would be seeded as
1st Saints
2nd Eagles
3rd Arizona
4th vikings
5th Packers
6th NY Giants

First round would be Green Bay AT MIN, and NY Giants at Arizona

It could happen, all I want for Christmas is to knock the vikings out of the playoffs. That Arizona game verses the Pack will be interesting, we can almost pick who play in the playoffs because the other two games are played at 1:00, the Packers play at 4:00.

So do we purposely lose the Arizona game to play the vikings again? That maybe the first time I would actually be cheering against the Pack or applauding them resting their starters.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care as to whether the Packers play the vikings or not. sitting at 9-5 we still need to battle our way into the postseason. I also think it would be better to let the cardinals handle the vikings. I doubt a third rematch will be better than the last two.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care as to whether the Packers play the vikings or not. sitting at 9-5 we still need to battle our way into the postseason. I also think it would be better to let the cardinals handle the vikings. I doubt a third rematch will be better than the last two.

I can see that, but I am not sure I want our secondary going against the receivers of Cardinals either. Its hard to beat the same team 3 times, The Pack is such a different team than when they last played the vikings. :viksux:

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that, but I am not sure I want our secondary going against the receivers of Cardinals either. Its hard to beat the same team 3 times, The Pack is such a different team than when they last played the vikings. :viksux:
Very true, I think our pass rush might actually be able to finally put pressure on Favre. The only thing I'm worried about is whether Favre will just chuck the ball up in the air like he always does. What worries me even more is that it's in Jarret Bush's direction.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
After tonight, Farve would probably shread our secondary like the last 2 meetings. I wouldn't look forward to a rematch with the Vikes, in their house with no wind or cold to help neutralize the Vike's passing attack. Looks like to beat the Vikes you need a legit pass rush from your linemen (not blitzes all the time), and a good secondary. Something the Pack is missing.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i honestly dont want to play the Vikings for the third time. yeah it would be amazing to knock them out of the playoffs but i think losing to them/favre for the third time in one season would be much worse. i dont want to have to play the Eagles in the first round either, i think Arizona is our best bet for a victory, they're very inconsistant

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should all cheer for Washington tonight. Our main objective is to get that wildcard spot. I don't give a rip about MN, but it was kinda funny hearing how Favre wouldn't leave the game last night after Chilly tried to bench him! I guess #4 is the boss. It won't be long before the rest of the inmates are running the asylum over in Minneapolis.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Packers can still not make it to the playoffs. The Giants and the Eagles hold the tie-breaker's over the Packers. Who you need to cheer for is anyone playing Dallas. Because if they win the Division the Packers have to worry about the Eagles and the Giants, rather then just the Cowboys.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers can still not make it to the playoffs. The Giants and the Eagles hold the tie-breaker's over the Packers. Who you need to cheer for is anyone playing Dallas. Because if they win the Division the Packers have to worry about the Eagles and the Giants, rather then just the Cowboys.

Packers need to only win one and they are in

NFL - Playoff Scenario Generator- Yahoo! Sports

NY, Philly winning every game, Pack in with one win at least thats according to that

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see the Vikings in the NFC Championship game and beat them. The victory would be so much better. Just to know that are one game away from the SuperBowl and GB shuts you down your home stadium.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The NFC picture is much more clear, with New Orleans, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and Arizona all clinching playoff berths. Green Bay (9-5) and Dallas (9-5) currently hold onto the final two spots. The only other team in contention is the New York Giants (7-6), who desperately need a Monday night victory against the Washington Redskins to have a realistic chance.

NFL Playoff Scenarios: The AFC picture is as... | Gather

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Packer beat Seattle lose to Cardinals. Finish 10-6

Giants win out finish 10-6
Philly beats Denver, losses to Dallas finish 11-5
Dallas beats Washington, Philly. finish 11-5

Dallas is the Division winner.
Eagles are the 5th seed.
Giants are the 6th seed.
Packers are at home.

One win guarantees the Packers nothing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Eagles are the 5th seed.
Giants are the 6th seed.
Packers are at home.

Yup your right sorry

I was basing it on thinking NY was 8-6 NOW......forgot they were 8-5

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are making into the play offs why would you ever post anything that would show that they are not going to make it in

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eagles are the 5th seed.
Giants are the 6th seed.
Packers are at home.

How the hell is NY gonna get the tiebreaker you idiot, Packers are currently 7-3 in the NFC while Giants are 5-4. even if giants win out they'll be 8-4 which i highly doubt. Packers win one more and they are garaunteed the wildcard spot. I can't wait till we play the queens in the playoffs. If we can go toe to toe with a team that flat out beat the queens then favre better be crapping in his pants. and don't give me that stuff about how the queens beat us twice. Packers are getting better as season progress, vikings are going the opposite way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How the hell is NY gonna get the tiebreaker you idiot, Packers are currently 7-3 in the NFC while Giants are 5-4. even if giants win out they'll be 8-4 which i highly doubt. Packers win one more and they are garaunteed the wildcard spot. I can't wait till we play the queens in the playoffs. If we can go toe to toe with a team that flat out beat the queens then favre better be crapping in his pants. and don't give me that stuff about how the queens beat us twice. Packers are getting better as season progress, vikings are going the opposite way.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four......
  4. ** they beat Tampa, and swept Dallas, lost to Arizona, still have to play Minny..since the Pack are at best going to be 2-3 in those games and NY could be 4-1 they get the tie breaker

1. Strength of victory.
  2. Strength of schedule.
  3. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  4. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  5. Best net points in conference games.
  6. Best net points in all games.
  7. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  8. Coin toss.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am not sure why, but he Giants and Eagles hold the tie breakers against the Pack and the vikings. That Dallas Eagles game week 17 will be a big one, 2nd seed and playoff births may be on the line.

Bottom line the Pack needs to take care of business against Seattle.

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the way it stands we just need 1 more win

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eagles are the 5th seed.
Giants are the 6th seed.
Packers are at home.

We need to beat Seattle, good news if the above happens we will now exactly what we are playing for against Arizona at 4:00 that Sunday bacause everyone else is playing at noon. We lose to Seattle we will need help with a win over Arizona.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
curious if there are any statistics to back up that claim.

I just looked it up, I was surprised that it has happened 18 times and those teams went 11-7. I thought it would be 7 for 11. Still 7 times the team that was swept in the regular season went further in the playoffs.:viksux:

jimdier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so based on that the vikes would beat us in game three 11 out of 18 games? Am I understanding correctly?

Side question, what is the farthest a highly penalized team has gone in postseason? Like top 4th or 5th most penalized?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so based on that the vikes would beat us in game three 11 out of 18 games? Am I understanding correctly?

Side question, what is the farthest a highly penalized team has gone in postseason? Like top 4th or 5th most penalized?
You can't make that assumption with so little data. Different circumstances each time.

-

Here's a great article about penalties: Penalties not killing Pack - JSOnline

To briefly answer your question, the Cardinals last year were the 5th most penalized team...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
They went toe to toe with a team that flat out beat the Vikings? You mean the Steelers? Go back and watch the Vikings-Steelers game. The Steeler got lucky on two defensive plays. The Steeler offense scored 13 points against the Vikings and had a total of 259 yards of offense. But if you think giving up 503 yards of passing is more impressive keep your glasses cleaned. But what do I know, hell I even think the Giants hold the tie-breaker over the Packers. If the Giants lose tonight, then one win should do it for the Packers. So cheer for Washington tonight, although its already 24-0.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts