Playoff Picture from Sportsline...

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updated: Dec/22/2006 12:15 AM

Green Bay beats Minnesota...what does that mean for tiebreakers?
Here's a couple of quick bullets on what effect the Packers 9-7 barnburner win over the Vikings has on the Playoff Race.

- Minnesota is now officially eliminated from playoff contention.

- Although Green Bay won to stay alive in the playoff hunt, the Packers will be eliminated from playoff contention if the NY Giants beat New Orleans this week. The New Orleans win would give the Giants a common opponents tiebreaker advantage over the Packers. That combined with the Packers loss to Philadelphia earlier this year and the fact that none of Atlanta, Carolina, SF, Seattle or St. Louis can create a 3-way tiebreaker with GB and either NYG or Philly at 8-8 with a 7-5 conference record (that might help keep GB alive based on Strength of Victory).

- GB fans need to root for Giants losses the rest of the way and at least one Atlanta loss and at least one St. Louis loss, in addition to the Packers need for a win against Chicago next week.

nothing really new. But I figured since its a new week, it'd be good to update. GO SAINTS, REDSKINS, and PANTHERS!

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wish we controlled our own destiny, but the giants should lose to the saints. The redskins......now they arnt a good team. Panthers are a good team, and can beat Atlanta. This is starting to get more realistic.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really wish we controlled our own destiny, but the giants should lose to the saints. The redskins......now they arnt a good team. Panthers are a good team, and can beat Atlanta. This is starting to get more realistic.

Carolina is 6-8 and looks like Delhome will not play

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I see it here is how the games are going to go over the next 2 weekends....

week 16
Car @ Atl (Atl wins)
NO @ NYG (NO)
Wash @ StL (StL)
AZ @ SF (SF)
Phil @ Dallas (Dallas)

week 17
NYG @Wash (NYG)
StL @ MN (MN)
Car @ NO (NO)
Atl @ Phil (Phil)
SF @ Denver (Denver)
GB @ Chi (Chi) so it all becomes accademic

Final records
Phil 9-7 (8-4 NFC)
NYG 8-8 (7-5)
Atl 8-8 (6-6)
GB 7-9 (6-6)
SF 7-9 (6-6)
StL 7-9 (5-7)
Car 6-10 (4-8)

GB had their day when AZ upset MN a couple of years ago and that allowed GB to make the playoffs. I don't see the impossible happening again.
Wasn't it last year that the Bears decided to give the starters an extra week off (to avoid injury no doubt) and let most of the starters rest in week 17. They then had the bye week in the 1st round of the playoffs and they were flat when they hosted & lost to Carolina in the 2nd round? I don't see Lovey making the same mistake again. Plus the fact that he will not want to take the chance of losing to the Packers with his starters on the bench.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't it last year that the Bears decided to give the starters an extra week off (to avoid injury no doubt) and let most of the starters rest in week 17. They then had the bye week in the 1st round of the playoffs and they were flat when they hosted & lost to Carolina in the 2nd round? I don't see Lovey making the same mistake again. Plus the fact that he will not want to take the chance of losing to the Packers with his starters on the bench.

Agreed, and I can't see the Bears laying down to us after 10+ years of the beat downs we gave them. I guess we are just going to have to beat them the best way, at full strenght.

To tell you the truth, I want their starters in there, so we can have a measurement as to how much we improved this season.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I want their starters in there, so we can have a measurement as to how much we improved this season.

Agreed. If GB beats their starters no one can say they backed into the playoffs dispite the Giants etal having to lose.
I would feel better about GB's chances if Brett would have thrown just ONE TD pass in the past 2 games.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:

Excellent point. I agree.

yes if we cant beat the Bears straight up then we dont deserve a playoff spot.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:

Carolina is 6-8 and looks like Delhome will not play

Sorry, I see Carolina play every week and they are not that good. If Delhome cannot play, they will be starting Chris Weinke who ranks 2nd all-time in consecutive losses by a starting QB -- 17 games dating back to the second game of the 2001 season. As of Wednesday, Delhomme's thumb was swollen and he still could not grip the football. Plus, they have a lot of players (Wahle included) on IR -- especially on the line so their running game is lacking.

The Packer's best chance for an Atlanta loss is week 17 against the Eagles. If the Eagles beat Dallas this week, they lead their division by virtue of the season sweep of the 'Boys. But, in week 17, Dallas plays Detroit so the Eagles will not sit anyone down just in case the Lions, in their ineptitude, win and lose the #1 draft pick. So I would expect Atlanta to have their hands full with the Eagles.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pittsburgh beat Carolina because they were able to keep Steve Smith out of the game. As long as he is a factor they can win on any given Sunday

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts