• True we're better off in domes, but at home is better

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • The main reason at home is because we'd just need 2 wins to reach the SB

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we grinded out the week 17 win, in Green Bay, on January 2nd over the Bears 10-3, we knew our playoff road was all away from home.

After we escaped Philly with a thrilling win thanks to their kicker missing 2 FGs, a lot of experts thought we had a chance in Atlanta because of our precision pass-oriented offense on the fast turf there, and they were right as Rodgers put on a historic clinic.

Then we ugly-grinded out the win outdoors in Chicago again with a thrilling win over the Bears to make it to the Super Bowl, despite Rodgers playing crappy again outdoors vs the Bears in cold weather.

So it was onto the indoors in Dallas against the Blitzburgh defense, where again Rodgers and our offense were super and we won the game, despite the fewest rushes in Super Bowl-winning history. As McCarthy said, we put the game on Aaron Rodgers shoulders.

He had about 5 absolutely perfect, precision passes with guys covered well that had they been an inch off would not have been completed.

Now here's my question to you fruitcakes:

• Are we better off playing our January playoff games at home on the Frozen Tundra where those elements tend to bog our high-octane down a bit?
  • Or are we better off going on the road in nice climate-controlled stadiums like at the Saints, Falcons, Cowboys, Cardinals, Rams, or at warm places like Tampa Bay?

We have no problems playing well on the road. Then again we went 7-1 at home this season too.... it's just that in the cold weather and especially against teams like Chicago, those elements/defense bogged down our offense. I believe if we'd play the Bears in Atlanta's dome or New Orelans' dome or Minnesota's dome, we'd carve them up too.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, i fully believe this coming season will feature a much improved running game to compliment our high octane passing attack. So playing PO games at home in january will be to our advantage.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, i fully believe this coming season will feature a much improved running game to compliment our high octane passing attack. So playing PO games at home in january will be to our advantage.
Boy I'd like to believe that, but with the same OL from Clifton to Bulaga, I can't see us all of a suddenly featuring a strong running game.
Especially when we don't need to because of the elite Aaron Rodgers & Greg Jennings and emerging Jordy Nelson.

And remember, we will be getting Jermichael Finley back and he's a lethal receiving TE, not blocking TE.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I believe there's a certain degree of comfort/assuredness involved. We played really well on the road in 2010, especially in play-off mode. Yet, when playing in Detroit (the shoo win), we came short. Maybe playing on the road AND against more threatening opponents, stirs up exaggerated strength & determination that results in victory. So perhaps the outcome of the game is more influenced by the opponent than location. Just a thought.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked "home" but more for the sake of the home fans to see their Packers win a playoff game at home as they march to the SB. The Packers this year have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are ready, willing and able to take on anybody, anywhere. To them, in terms of winning games, it does not matter. The Pack is coming (*credit to Woodson). They beat a strong Eagles team at home, as well as Atlanta and they marched out of Soldier Field holding the Halas trophy. The only reason I would favor a home game is because the win would be more emotional at home.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True the win is more emotional at home-but for WE FANS, not the players. No disrespect to us, but the players tend to thrive more beating an opponent in their park, them against the world mentality.

We've had our season end at home too many times lately, but that was the other QB (lost in playoffs at home to NYG, Minny, Atlanta)..... the homefield advantage isn't that big as great teams keep winning on the road.

I just think our team is clearly a team now that thrives on speed and precision. We're not the 1960's Packers who outrun, outgrind teams in the mud and gunk. Even the 90's Packers with Edgar & Dorsey did that well, but our offense bogged down in Chicago, and in Green Bay vs Chicago week 17. I don't like that. I like our offense in the perfect weather where weather is not an equalizer. Because all things being equal, we're a better team than anyone.

The thing with being the #1 seed is, all we need to do is win 2 games and we're in the Super Bowl. The way we did it was 33.33% harder, needing to win a 3rd game. Then again, Atlanta and New England were #1 seeds this year just needing 2 home wins to get to the Super Bowl, and they both bombed out right away with that bye week.

Our early voting here is interesting......

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end... this is a business. It's better to sell tics, beer and hot dogs in our own stadium.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, we do play really well in domes, but we would have to win 3 games in a row just to get to the Super Bowl. So I picked at home because we only need 2 wins to reach the Super Bowl. Also, there's no guaruntee that the teams that we play at will have a dome. I would've much rather played the last NFC Championship in Green Bay than in Chicago.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Yes, we do play really well in domes, but we would have to win 3 games in a row just to get to the Super Bowl. So I picked at home because we only need 2 wins to reach the Super Bowl. Also, there's no guaruntee that the teams that we play at will have a dome. I would've much rather played the last NFC Championship in Green Bay than in Chicago.

I thought playing in their house made it just that much sweeter. IMO

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, it's split.

IMHO, homefield advantage has only one influence: On the refs.
It's true that this is a passing team that plays better at domes. But, then again, in Lambeau on the cold, Rodgers does better than almost any other QB, due to his hand size and arm strenght. The defense is equally good on both instances, and the bad ST is equally bad on both, if any advantage, it has on the cold, where the opposing team isn't as fast, and mistakes aren't as relevant.

So I believe in any surface, in any weather, this team is capable of winning, specially with Starks and Grant active.

The difference is how refs call the game. They were fair this time, but it's not always like this.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought playing in their house made it just that much sweeter. IMO

I agree with you here that it was sweeter being able to beat Chicago in their own house. I'm just saying that we have more of an advantage playing in Green Bay, especially with the bad field conditions in Chicago.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is how refs call the game. They were fair this time, but it's not always like this.
Good point on the zebra factor. They never get the full credit/blame that they deserve.

People like to say that their bad calls tend to even out, but they don't usually within one ball game.

I can't stand refs to be honest with you.....especially holding calls. Put the big offensive lineman in hockey goaltender gloves and stop calling holding all-together because I don't like when refs choose to call that one.... they can call it any time so when they call it is up to their mood (or the script).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on the zebra factor. They never get the full credit/blame that they deserve.

People like to say that their bad calls tend to even out, but they don't usually within one ball game.

I can't stand refs to be honest with you.....especially holding calls. Put the big offensive lineman in hockey goaltender gloves and stop calling holding all-together because I don't like when refs choose to call that one.... they can call it any time so when they call it is up to their mood (or the script).
The one I get most frustrated with is defensive PI. I mean, as long as the guy is not blalantly pushing the other, or on the receiver's helmet, let the guys play already!

Sometimes if the defender even slighlty touches the receiver after 5 yards, he's called. And even if the ball is in the air and the defender is CLEARLY looking at the ball, it is called.

And it's pretty clear I hate the refs as well.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy I'd like to believe that, but with the same OL from Clifton to Bulaga, I can't see us all of a suddenly featuring a strong running game.
Especially when we don't need to because of the elite Aaron Rodgers & Greg Jennings and emerging Jordy Nelson.

And remember, we will be getting Jermichael Finley back and he's a lethal receiving TE, not blocking TE.

By much improved I mean another 20-25 yards average per game rushing. I know we won't play like the '72 Packers with John Brockington running the ball like crazy and A-rod morphing into a Scott Hunter.

LOL

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The dummy has an answer to make this a moot point

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rav3eN5OA4]YouTube - Jeff Dunham - Spark of Insanity - Walter Disses on Green Bay[/ame]

For the record I went with better in domes but home is better.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i would prefer we get the wild card round off but in a dome seems like a insta-win for rodgers and co

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our team is getting younger, better, and more depth in next month's draft. We should be better off at home since not all the predicted 2011-2012 Division Champs have Domes for us to play in assuming we do play on the road. Really only Atlanta/New Orleans do which means 2 other games we have to play in someone else's house in cold weather.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really only Atlanta/New Orleans do which means 2 other games we have to play in someone else's house in cold weather.
Remember the Rams play in a dome, and they almost won that crappy division last year, losing the week 17 showdown in Seattle.
I wouldn't mind playing in St Louis as a #5 at #4 seed, then going to New Orleans or Atlanta again, or even Dallas.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
It just seems like it was not so long ago with Brett that we seemed to have a "Dome Curse" and could NOT win in one.

Thankfully THAT seems to be over.

Members online

Latest posts