Playmakers

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems to be the BIG thing this offseason. GB needs PLAYMAKERS!

We will be hearing over and over again every big name playmaker that is available or becomes trade bait.

Here's my take on it.

1) We already have playmaking WR's in Driver and Jennings, therefore, I do not see us obtaining any huge name wide receiver. The best they could expect would be somebody to take over the #2 and put Jennings at #3.

I'm not sure that would be smart anyways. Jennings, when healthy, IS a playmaker himself. Why take more opportunities AWAY from him.

We do need a solid #3 WR that keeps the defense honest in it's coverage of the other two guys making it hard to cover all three at any one time.

We need two other components to give any playmaker a chance to...well, make plays.

We need a serious pass catching threat at TE and secondly, we need a bonafide and consistant running game and the last part about the running game is what I feel is the most important part of giving playmakers their opportunity.

New Orleans, void of the big play for years, comes out of no where with a prolific offense that has a solid receiving corps and a run game defenses HAVE TO RESPECT. With a QB that can deliver all of a sudden they ALL became playmakers.

Our run game last year was very blue collar. Go to work and after a full day you could see some results but not normally enough to say "wow" about that often.

We get a ligitimate #3 receiver, a TE that can catch the damn ball, and obtain a break away threat at RB and watch how much more often Driver and Jennings make plays.

Finding three solid guys that can contribute in the above positions will go much farther than getting some $7 million dollar man that can run 100 miles an hour.

If we don't have a serious groung threat that guys not going to get open anyways.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Without digging up a lot of stats an references, here's my 'big 3' pickups.

Ken Hamlin to replace Manuel
Michael Turner to replace Green as starter (keep Green for 3rd down an keep Morency)
Donte Stallworth to replace Ferguson as 3rd WR

edit, I'd have to throw in a fourth now that I think about it. B.J. Sams although he's a restricted FA, I think going after him would be huge. He'd be a helluva KR/PR

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with you zero for the most part. I'm not too big on Stalworth. He's a good player but his downside is injury and i think he'll eventually get signed for way more than i think he's worth. i'd be perfectly happy with Hamlin and Turner. however, i think we are in desparate need of a good 3rd WR and a TE, but i don't think it makes a lot of sense to push the issue and sign someone to an outrageous contract simply because of the lack of FA talent available at those positions this offseason.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i agree with you zero for the most part. I'm not too big on Stalworth. He's a good player but his downside is injury and i think he'll eventually get signed for way more than i think he's worth. i'd be perfectly happy with Hamlin and Turner. however, i think we are in desparate need of a good 3rd WR and a TE, but i don't think it makes a lot of sense to push the issue and sign someone to an outrageous contract simply because of the lack of FA talent available at those positions this offseason.

I think Stallworth would be a good 3 because most of the attention will be gone to Driver and Jennings leaving him covered by a safety or a backer. He does get injured often, but hopefully he can be healthy enough until Koren comes back, well IF he comes back.

I don't think we try an get a FA TE, I think we draft our TE. I also read somewhere that Mike mentioned maybe the lack of solid play from the TE position is because they weren't used adequately. It was in one of his press conferences. So maybe he can figure out how to use Bubba and Co more efficiently?

Maybe Bubba forgot how to catch an hold onto the ball because all he really does now is block? lol

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
very true about bubba. i think that's mostly why you hear about "receiving TE's" or "blocking TE's" . it's gotta be really tough to switch gears. i would also look to the draft for a TE rather than free agency.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm a bit unclear about restricted free agency... if we sign a restricted free agent to a tender, and his current team does not match it, we must give up one of our draft picks (the higher the offer, the earlier the round?) to that team in compensation, is that right?

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i agree, i guess. any ideas on who these three guys will be? who you'd like them to be?

I would like to see the TE be a FA and a good one. The last draft review I saw was not high on the talent at that position this year.

The RB could be a draft pick. Especially if we keep Green. This year the young/old combination worked real well for several teams.

The WR needs to have speed and help stretch the field but must also be a threat on any passing down to keep the pass "D" legit. This is why Stallworth's name is mentioned but MM obviously considers the "availability" factor very important. Many have us using the first pick here but only because of the need making it an obvious choice.

It will be interesting to see what TT does with the draft this year. We obviously need players at these positions but TT is going to take the best guy on the board which I think is smart.

It may tick a lot of people off but if some guy grades out way higher than anyone at these positions he will probably pick him ahead of the "need" pick. Especially with the first pick. You don't ever want to blow that one.

I have faith. If WE can see where the weaknesses are they ought to look like headlights to a deer for TT. Some people say "oh really"? Why didn't he address this or that position then?

Because we were an engine leaking oil from many places. The list of positions we "just have to improve" is getting smaller and smaller.

If you remember it wasn't that long ago we "had to improve" at DL, LB(big time), CB(remember the Carroll days), Safety, OG, WR, K, P, and special teams.

It wasn't TT couldn't see it. He couldn't reach it. Not all of it in two years.

We're getting close now though.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Michael Turner to replace Green as starter (keep Green for 3rd down an keep Morency)

edit, I'd have to throw in a fourth now that I think about it. B.J. Sams although he's a restricted FA, I think going after him would be huge. He'd be a helluva KR/PR

i dont think green will be replaced(at least this season).

but i do agree with everything elce you said, but for some reason i think greg will keep his position at no 3 WR.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

i dont think green will be replaced(at least this season).

but i do agree with everything elce you said, but for some reason i think greg will keep his position at no 3 WR.

Greg? Greg is the 2, not the 3.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i'm a bit unclear about restricted free agency... if we sign a restricted free agent to a tender, and his current team does not match it, we must give up one of our draft picks (the higher the offer, the earlier the round?) to that team in compensation, is that right?

It depends on what the level of tender he receives. If it's level 1 I believe that's a 1st and 3rd compensation. If it's 2 then it's a 1st. I believe 3 is a 2nd and four is the round he was selected in which is a 5th in the case of Michael Turner. If he receives no tender then there is no compensation.

So if Green Bay signs him to an offer sheet the Chargers will have one week to match it. If they match it they resign Turner to a new deal. If they don't match it then Green Bay gets Turner and loses a draft pick pending whatever Tender he got Green Bay will likely lose a 1st round pick if they sign him as I would assume they give him a high level tender. I believe I got that all right. :)

San Diego has a time frame before free agency to offer him a tender or resign him.

When free agency starts Green Bay or any team can go after him.

If he is signed San Diego has a week to match it.

That's pretty much how it goes.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with warhawk's original post, and I also agree that TE is the most likely offensive position to benefit from free agency. I think a good enough RB can be found in the draft, possibly in the middle rounds, and the draft looks likea good place to get a receiver as well. Donte Stallworth is interesting, though. He did miss a lot of time this year, but he made some big catches in the playoffs.

Hamlin is the only name I'm hearing as a possible free agent safety, but I don't know if he's any good. Maybe somebody else will become available.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agent Tight Ends

Kyle Brady, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Daniel Graham, UFA, New England Patriots
Ben Hartsock, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Zach Hilton, UFA, New York Jets
Reggie Kelly, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Jerramy Stevens, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Boo Williams, UFA, New York Giants

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agent Tight Ends

Kyle Brady, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Daniel Graham, UFA, New England Patriots
Ben Hartsock, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Zach Hilton, UFA, New York Jets
Reggie Kelly, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Jerramy Stevens, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Boo Williams, UFA, New York Giants

Jerramy Stevens is a UFA? Why haven't I heard his name before. He's mostly been a disappointment, but he had the game of his career in the playoffs against the Cowboys. Also, Thompson played a part in drafting him, so he might take a look at him.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the TE could be addressed in FA if that guy is Graham from the Patriots. He is one player that would immediately help the offense because he stretches the field and catches almost anything thrown his way.

I'd like to see the Packers draft Lynch from Cal. This way, GB could use Green/Lynch the same way that the Patriots used Dillon/Maroney.

Ken Hamlin would be another interesting pickup. Is he solid in coverage? I know GB needs to allow Nick Collins to roam a little and get closer to the line to smack people but, in order to do that, the other safety has to be able to cover (Manual sucks).

As far as a #3 receiver, I don't know why but I still like Ruvell Martin and Holliday and think one of those guys could really step up if they got an expanded role...Stallworth would be nice if he was on the field but that hasn't been a guarantee with his history.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the TE could be addressed in FA if that guy is Graham from the Patriots. He is one player that would immediately help the offense because he stretches the field and catches almost anything thrown his way.

I'd like to see the Packers draft Lynch from Cal. This way, GB could use Green/Lynch the same way that the Patriots used Dillon/Maroney.

Ken Hamlin would be another interesting pickup. Is he solid in coverage? I know GB needs to allow Nick Collins to roam a little and get closer to the line to smack people but, in order to do that, the other safety has to be able to cover (Manual sucks).

As far as a #3 receiver, I don't know why but I still like Ruvell Martin and Holliday and think one of those guys could really step up if they got an expanded role...Stallworth would be nice if he was on the field but that hasn't been a guarantee with his history.

How far we go to replace Manuel will depend on what they think of Underwood. If they really like what they have there I doubt they will go big and move on a Hamlin or other costly safeties. It will be interesting what they do there. I will say though if we could get a guy that would have an impact even close to what Sanders has done for Indy back there and we would have a top 5 defense. Top 10 for sure.

Between Martin and Holliday I like Holliday in the long run. He looks faster and runs good routes.

I think we could be fine at WR if we don't latch onto a big name as long as the TE is a true threat and we get that running game humming. More consistancy there along with a break away threat will do more to open up our offense than any #3 we could get our hands on.

Inconsistancy there cost us big time in the red zone and especially inside the five. You have to have an effective running game to keep the defense honest down there. The field gets way to small and easy to cover if you don't.

Like I said New Orleans has the patent on this. They get two threats behind the QB that can do damage at any time and all of a sudden everybody they have is a playmaker now that they have the QB to get them the ball.

Members online

Latest posts