Players speak frankly on what is ailing Packers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Offense clears the air - JSOnline
Green Bay — If the foundering Green Bay Packers go on a long-shot run to the playoffs in the second half of the season, the record will show the resurrection started at approximately 2:25 p.m. Monday.

The Packers had just finished watching the game film from Sunday's disheartening, 38-28 loss to the previously winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers when the lights were turned on in the offensive meeting room.

The problems that have plagued the unit - and inflicted the Packers overall - had once again been illuminated in inglorious fashion on the projection screen for all to see.
And it was time for it all to end. Past time, actually.

With the coaches still in the room, the veteran leaders on offense, one by one, took turns addressing the rest of the unit.

"It was a come-to-Jesus meeting," guard Daryn Colledge said Wednesday.
While the overall tone of the words were positive and reinforced all the good things the league's seventh-ranked offense has done and can build upon, there also were some very critical moments.

Some of the words were so blunt, it didn't take long for defensive players to hear about it.
"Heard they really had it out," said one player. "Good. I don't think anything but positive things can come from that."

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers was told he has held onto the ball too long on occasion. The offensive line was told they weren't blocking close to well enough. The receivers heard they have dropped too many passes. The running backs had left too many yards out on the field.
According to players who were in the room, Rodgers, tackle Mark Tauscher and receiver Donald Driver were the most powerful speakers.

Many players would not reveal the details of what was said.
"All that's between us," Driver said.

But according to some players, these were the highlights:
Rodgers admitted he was part of the problem for taking too many sacks and vowed to do better. He also asked that the offensive linemen "look in the mirror" and ask themselves how they can be better.

"We all have to ask ourselves if we're doing enough," Rodgers said, "because if we're not, we're going to be sitting at home in January watching the playoffs, not playing in them. Again. I don't want to do that again."

But perhaps the most pointed words were spoken by the 34-year-old Driver, who is in his 11th season.

If there was any doubt whether the players and coaches inside 1265 Lombardi Ave. are aware of the unhappiness with the team outside those walls, it ended when Driver stood up.
"If we don't win - and I mean now - they are going to fire all of our (butts) at the end of the season," Driver said. "I'm serious."

It took a league-leading 37 sacks and 62 penalties, and an embarrassing loss to a winless team, but the Packers have finally come to grips with where they are.
And that might be a good starting point.

"For us, the leaders and the guys that needed to be heard were heard and hopefully everybody listened," Colledge said. "I think we walked out as a better offense without even practicing."
Rodgers said he feels the offense has a sense of urgency.

"Unfortunately, I feel like we do now," Rodgers said. "But it's tough because you don't ever want to lose to get that sense of urgency, but that's sometimes how it works."

Driver at first denied he spoke at the meeting, but later fessed up.

"Just little words, words of encouragement," Driver said. "That's all it was."
Driver was asked why he felt the need to speak up.

"I think it just all needs to come out," Driver said. "Everything needs to come out and I think guys just need to understand (where we are) and we need to take care of business. That's all I said."

Of course, two big questions remain: Will the words do any good, and did they come too late?
The Packers are 4-4 and sit one game out of the NFC wild-card chase. They also are 6-11 since beating the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 19, 2008. The wins have come against the Detroit Lions (twice), Chicago Bears (twice), St. Louis Rams (1-7 currently) and Cleveland Browns (1-7).
But if the Packers can somehow find a way to beat the Dallas Cowboys (6-2), a bona fide contender, on Sunday, the players know the entire momentum of the season can shift.

That's why coach Mike McCarthy said, in his own way, that Sunday is a must-win for his team.
"We really want to win the game this week," McCarthy said. "There's no question about that.
"Our message is very clear. The head coach has to coach better, the coaches have to coach better, the players have to play better, and we have to win games. That's our focus. We're going to apply all of our energy into this Dallas game plan. . . . That's about as far down the road as we're looking. We're going to pour everything that we have into winning at home against the Cowboys. That's our focus."

The importance has clearly filtered down to the players.
"Oh, of course, this is a must-win," Driver said. "If we don't, we can't get to the postseason with losses. So we've got to go out there and do everything we need to do."
Said Greg Jennings: "Definitely got to have this game. Got to have it."

With three games in 12 days starting Sunday, if the Packers can go 3-0 heading into a week of extra rest before the Dec. 7 game against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night, the perceptions about the Packers can change quickly.

"Sunday is absolutely a huge game," Colledge said. "Those three games, if we can get a hold of them, all of a sudden we're sitting in a great position in the NFC. We realize that each game is going to be a playoff game. We need to treat it that way."

Of course, if the Packers fail to pick up their game against the Cowboys, fans could become ruthless inside Lambeau Field.

And no words will need to be said about that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a great article...

Like it said, it's a start. But it may be too little too late. There need to be actions on the field following those words...

But it's a start.

FanOfTheGame

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is kind of a double edged sword. On the one hand, if the Packers suddenly "click" and start winning important games we could get to the post season. On the other hand, it doesn't sound like it would be because the coach did or said anything. It's the veterans who had to take charge. The veterans will have accomplished in a few hours what the coach couldn't in half of a season.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is kind of a double edged sword. On the one hand, if the Packers suddenly "click" and start winning important games we could get to the post season. On the other hand, it doesn't sound like it would be because the coach did or said anything. It's the veterans who had to take charge. The veterans will have accomplished in a few hours what the coach couldn't in half of a season.

Well said, that sums up my feelings on the whole thing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREAT point... Totally agree...

But, I've allways felt that a really great team can win with almost any coach...

But we're not a really great team. Unfortunately, we need good coaching to suceed...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Every team needs it leaders on the field ... - No coaches will be succesful without having "apparent" leaders on-field ... Coaches aren't playing, and thus needs their "right hands" to take charge when playing ...

Untill (according to the article) now, that is a very important aspect that the Packers "seemed" to be missing this season and the season before ...

Good article and perhaps the Packers should have more of those sessions (internally) for a little while longer ... I don't know ...

In my opinion "Veterans" are supposed to be doing this ... "New" guys always (some times on purpose) needs veterans to "lean up against" when the going gets tough ...

Members online

Latest posts