Player that is the all time face of the team = Bart Starr #15

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi is the number one head coach of all time, not only for the Pack, but for all the NFL based on his coaching record and motivational skills.

In my opinion Bart Starr is the top player of all time for the Green Bay Packers, if one had to pick only one. He was the field general that called the plays under Lombardi and ended his playing days with five (5) rings. The Packer dynasty of the 1960's made the Pack legendary, forever. There have so many been great players on the team before and since Starr's playing days, but none have his distinction of his consistent and repeated championship caliber play in most times extreme weather conditions in the playoffs.

Reaction score
Tell us something we don't know :). But I agree. If you don't love Bart Starr, you're not a Packers fan. And if you don't love Lombardi, you're not a football fan.

Pack15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such a great man off the field as well. Rodgers said he's not worried about being the best quarterback to ever play, but rather he wants to be one of the best men to ever play the game. I think Starr had a lot of influence in that thought.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi is the number one head coach of all time, not only for the Pack, but for all the NFL based on his coaching record and motivational skills.

In my opinion Bart Starr is the top player of all time for the Green Bay Packers, if one had to pick only one. He was the field general that called the plays under Lombardi and ended his playing days with five (5) rings. The Packer dynasty of the 1960's made the Pack legendary, forever. There have so many been great players on the team before and since Starr's playing days, but none have his distinction of his consistent and repeated championship caliber play in most times extreme weather conditions in the playoffs.
I wouldn't argue too much about your assertions, but I would like a little clarification on what the criteria of "the face of the team" would be.
If major components were international fame, notoriety and historical importance as shown by books written about, other media references, etc., then I might give the nod to Lombardi over Starr.
If we need to limit only to players, you might get an argument from some about Don Hutson vs. Starr. No other player was as dominant in his time than Hutson, and many would rank him as the second or first greatest pro football player ever. But if other criteria are involved (other than on-field domination compared to peers of the time, for example), then maybe Starr is more suitable to such a title.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with gwh, and I'll lobby for Hutson as the greatest player ever for the packers. This coming from the guy who thinks Starr is the best QB of all time

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Don Hutson is the best player in Packers history. He was the Babe Ruth of his era. Compare both players' stats vs. their contemporaries and their accomplishments are even more astounding. Hutson was the first "modern day" WR - he basically invented the position - and his career ended over 65 years ago. But Hutson played too long ago to get the recognition he deserves.

As great a player as Bart Starr was, he is a better man. And that's saying a lot. IMO his greatest attributes on the field were his leadership qualities and he consistently rose to the occasion. The bigger the game, the better he was. If you haven't seen this before, I highly recommend Packers fans take a look at this list of the top 10 QBs in NFL history from Cold Hard Football Facts:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2103_The_definitive_list:_Top_10_NFL_quarterbacks.html

As for the face of the Packers franchise, that has to be the best HC in NFL history. Vince Lombardi's Packers teams won 5 titles in 7 seasons. In any era that's an incredible feat.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Bart Starr's character is maybe his greatest attribute. His leadership and dedication could be a close second. His image throughout the years really makes him the face of the Packers and he has the record to back it up. My avatar also speaks how I feel about it.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I kind of have to argue on the Don Hutson side, he played on all sides of the ball, and as great as he was at wide receiver, he also played on defense. If the ball was in the air there was a huge chance he would be near it, whether on offense or defense. His play was excellent for his era, and he should be recognized more than whats given.

Bart Starr was great, he still supports the Packers, and I won't forget how happy I felt that he was the one that received Rodgers FedEx player of the air award and when he was carrying the Packers flag at the season opener, in knowing that is how close he still is with the franchise. But if I had to choose who would I prefer to be described as the face of the franchise it would be Hutson

Members online

Latest posts