Player Suprises and Dissapointments on the 06 Packers.

Reaction score
Which one player pleasantly surprised you, and which one player most disappointed you? Feel free to add a short blurb on why.

For me:

SURPRISE: Daryn Colledge, LG. He was downright awful in training camp, and he looked inept at being a LG in the NFL. I thought his inability to get low enough would eventually make him a LT in the scheme, but credit to Colledge for working hard and transitioning quite well. It was a day and night difference when Colledge played vs the Chargers in the preseason and when he came back as starter at LG during the season.

DISAPPOINTMENT: Nick Collins, S. While Manuel may very well be an option, I thought Collins would really build on his solid rookie season. He displayed so much range and potential, I really expected him to be on the verge of becoming a playmaker this season. With his speed, and some INTs he dropped in his rookie season, I imagined him to be a difference maker in his second year but he struggled. The Collins that showed up in the last two games of the season has filled me with hope for next year, but it is a shame that type of Collins couldn't show up earlier.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Player Suprises and Dissapointments ion the 06 Packers.

Suprise, Woodson-Jennings

Dis, Bubba

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Player Suprises and Dissapointments ion the 06 Packers.

Manuel was definetly the most dissapointing. I don't know how Collin's was to you. He didn't do too bad. He was ok. Jennings was a surpise. Just beacause he produced great as a rookie :)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Which one player pleasantly surprised you, and which one player most disappointed you? Feel free to add a short blurb on why.

For me:

SURPRISE: Daryn Colledge, LG. He was downright awful in training camp, and he looked inept at being a LG in the NFL. I thought his inability to get low enough would eventually make him a LT in the scheme, but credit to Colledge for working hard and transitioning quite well. It was a day and night difference when Colledge played vs the Chargers in the preseason and when he came back as starter at LG during the season.

DISAPPOINTMENT: Nick Collins, S. While Manuel may very well be an option, I thought Collins would really build on his solid rookie season. He displayed so much range and potential, I really expected him to be on the verge of becoming a playmaker this season. With his speed, and some INTs he dropped in his rookie season, I imagined him to be a difference maker in his second year but he struggled. The Collins that showed up in the last two games of the season has filled me with hope for next year, but it is a shame that type of Collins couldn't show up earlier.

I wish I could be more original, but you pretty much nailed it here.... At least there was a glimmer of hope for Collins at the end of the season, but his overall performance in 2006 was very poor.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest Surprise: how quickly Poppinga returned from injury and how he fought through early struggles to solid to outstanding play down the stretch.

Biggest Disappointment: I said from the first day the Manuel interest was rumored that he could not run and was a liability in coverage. It ended up being far worse than even I anticipated. He was not a solid tackler and unless the ball carrier was right and front of him with no chance to make a move he usually ended up grabbing air and kissing turf. He hit about as hard as I had in my book on him, but was a far worse tackler than I expected.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest Surprise: how quickly Poppinga returned from injury and how he fought through early struggles to solid to outstanding play down the stretch.

Biggest Disappointment: I said from the first day the Manuel interest was rumored that he could not run and was a liability in coverage. It ended up being far worse than even I anticipated. He was not a solid tackler and unless the ball carrier was right and front of him with no chance to make a move he usually ended up grabbing air and kissing turf. He hit about as hard as I had in my book on him, but was a far worse tackler than I expected.

I remember that Bruce. Didn't want to agree with it but remember it. Too bad it all came true. That was ugly to watch at times.

Biggest Surprise. I am going to speak here on behalf of the cowards that won't come forward who said Brett Favre was making a big mistake and shouldn't have come back because he was done. I am speaking for them because I highly doubt to hear from them as to how surprised they are at how well he played. We will see you in '07. I'm sure you will be back.

My Personal own surprise pick. Scott Wells. Nobody really knew how well he would do or if he was capable of taking over at center but he was the best and most consistant "0" lineman we had.

I don't know if he will ever make a Pro-Bowl but he is darn good. He was overlooked with all the attention the rookies got but he hadn't started in the NFL before last year either.

Do you realize how bad it could have been if this guy didn't step up big with the youth on either side of him? OUCH.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprise- Kampman yes I know he was solid in his earlier years with GB but who would have thought he was going to become such a great pass rusher as well and get 9 more sacks then the year before

Dissapointment- ALL our TE's at the start of the season this isnt bashing him but TT said our TE's was one of the strongest poistions we have and many of us thought the same thing but as it turned out they all pretty much sucked and dissapointed everyone.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a group, the TEs WERE the biggest disappointments on this team. We'll need at least two new ones this year. BTW, who was our TEs coach, anyway? Did the team actually pay him for his "work"?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best: I'd have to agree with Poppinga as the biggest surprise to me. Poppinga struggled at the beginning of the season and I was ready to give up on him, but he really improved quickly and is becoming a very good player.

Worst: Franks. I have been a fan of Franks, but he had a terrible year in receiving. He was a good blocker, but he's getting too much money to be just a good blocking TE. The next would be Martin, who looked good before getting injured and was non-existant after coming back.
TE was supposed to be the strongest position on the team and now everyone is talking about it being our top offseason need.

GO PACK GO!!!

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

For me:

Nick Collins is only an average FS who really needs to play opposite a solid SS.

Manuel and Bubba were the biggest disappointments and Woodson was a surprise.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprise: Brady Poppinga - he was a first year starter surprisingly. GB went out and got Ben Taylor just to cover their butts at that position. Poppinga was so bad in pass coverage early on in the season he made Marquand Manuel look great. But a lot of times when you have first year starters and solid coaching, improvements are expected to be made, and he made huge strides as the season went on. The linebacker group turned into one of the best in the NFC by seasons end. I can't wait to see more of Snap,Crackle, and Poppinga.

(I wont say Kampman cuz his great play didnt surprise me, but he did have a great year)

Disappointment: Marquand Manuel(Ted Thompson)
- Marquand Manuel really did suck. I always give management the benefit of the doubt on pickups like this, because they know more than me(and you too, jerky). But man....talk about a swing and a miss by thompson. Manuel was bad at defending the pass, and he wasn't even very good against the RUN either. At least Mark Roman could do that most of the time. I am just glad we have Culver\Underwood coming back from injuries. They outplayed Manuel in preseason but eventually fell to injuries. Thank god that chapter is closed.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprise: I have multiple surprises from this past season. I didn't know much about Greg Jennings, so he was a great surprise to me. Donald Driver had a career year, and I did not expect him to do EVERYTHING he did. Kampman and Driver are similar as well. I was also surprised with how well AJ Hawk played in his rookie year. I knew he would be good, but he was better than good. This kid is going to be a monster, like soon.

Disappointment: I will echo others on this board and say Manuel was the biggest downer for me. I didn't know much about this young man, but as soon as I saw him play I became disappointed. I thought that adding him and cutting Roman would establish our defensive backfield with him, Harris, Woodson and Collins. Unfortunately our safeties were bad this season--Collins included. I think that Collins will bounce back and be successful here in the future, but Manuel may be a different situation.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest surprise: runner up is Kampan but I go with Woodson. Not for how good he was cause I knew he was talented but at the beginning of the year I would've given 3-1 odds he doesn't finish the season. He showed a lot of heart I didn't know he had. So then I gotta give TT an honuorable mention as a surprise successful signing that I questioned.

Dissapointment: Don't stone me but Greg Jennings only because we hyped him up so much and injuries slowed him down. I still expect a big sophmore year

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprise: The emergence of Corey Williams. I always thought he was a hard worker that should’ve broke into the starting lineup. However I never thought he’d be as solid as a player as he is right now. He’s still very young and is finally coming along. I credit the coaching staff for finally giving him a chance.

Disappointment: Bubba Franks was awful. He went from being one of the best red zone targets in the NFL to one of the worst receiving TE’s in the league right now. He’s a great blocker but his inability to help the Packers in the passing attack has really put Green Bay in a tough spot with it’s TE’s.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

I remember that Bruce. Didn't want to agree with it but remember it. Too bad it all came true. That was ugly to watch at times.

Biggest Surprise. I am going to speak here on behalf of the cowards that won't come forward who said Brett Favre was making a big mistake and shouldn't have come back because he was done. I am speaking for them because I highly doubt to hear from them as to how surprised they are at how well he played. We will see you in '07. I'm sure you will be back.

My Personal own surprise pick. Scott Wells. Nobody really knew how well he would do or if he was capable of taking over at center but he was the best and most consistant "0" lineman we had.

I don't know if he will ever make a Pro-Bowl but he is darn good. He was overlooked with all the attention the rookies got but he hadn't started in the NFL before last year either.

Do you realize how bad it could have been if this guy didn't step up big with the youth on either side of him? OUCH.

Favre having a decent year was no surprise for me. I'll say it here and you can quote me on this. If we pick up Randy Moss and a decent TE, expect 30+ TDs from Favre. The line is starting to get solid enough that they could actually send a TE on a pass route.

Now back to topic.
Surprise - Kampman. I said before the season that Kampman should split time with KGB, with Kampman playing running downs and KGB playing passing downs. Boy was I wrong, and I'm glad I was wrong. Kampman has become one of my fav players.

Disappointment - Manuel. And our TEs.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SURPRISE: Ahman Green gaining over 1,000 coming back from his injury and missing two games while Brett had a career high passing attempts.

DISAPPOINTMENT: Jagz use of the TE, but since this has to be a player. Ahmad Carroll. (Some say Manuel, but Bruce warned us repeatedly and I trusted him although wanted to give Manuel a fair chance, I wasn't surprised) I felt with a new staff and the comments from his teammates during the offseason an preseason he was gonna finally live up to his drafted (well hyped from Sherman) hype. I thought as a Nickel back with Harris and Woodson on the corners, he'd flourish.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SURPRISE: Ahman Green gaining over 1,000 coming back from his injury and missing two games while Brett had a career high passing attempts.

DISAPPOINTMENT: Jagz use of the TE, but since this has to be a player. Ahmad Carroll. (Some say Manuel, but Bruce warned us repeatedly and I trusted him although wanted to give Manuel a fair chance, I wasn't surprised) I felt with a new staff and the comments from his teammates during the offseason an preseason he was gonna finally live up to his drafted (well hyped from Sherman) hype. I thought as a Nickel back with Harris and Woodson on the corners, he'd flourish.

I would say Woodson and Jennings were the surorizes

The biggest disappointment was Brett NOT passing up Marino in Career TD passes. He had 6 to go with 4 games left and...STILL has 6 to go.

Manuel was an expected disappointment so I really wasn't disappointed... More angry. Carroll again was expected. Bubba Franks was a disappointment but I guess I was looking for another 40 reception, 7 TD season from him . We could have used those...

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franks had 0 TDs. I think that's the biggest disappointment. The TE situation is bad. And trading Samkon Gado, but Morency is working out pretty well.

Biggest surprise was the OL. Something seemed to click late in the season, and they were able to give Favre all the time he needed in the pocket.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SURPRISE: Charles Woodson
He played like crap in the first quarter of the season, but after that, he really gelled--finishing 2nd in the NFL at interceptions. That's something we've been lacking in Green Bay since the loss of Darren Sharper.

DISAPPOINTMENT: GB Red Zone Offense
Favre used to average 30 TD passes a season. He's currently a far cry to what his average was. They failed to really open up their offense with a consistent attack, and they never used play action. With a more experienced line, this can change.

WORTH MENTIONING: Dave Rayner
Seriously. Who misses Longwell? He seemed to miss long awfully well.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me there were alot of surprises. Kampman NOT tanking after signing the big contract was a good one. Woodson showing he was pretty good after all was great. Corey Williams also was good. Jennings looks like the "real thing".

TE REALLY was dissapointing. They need a total overhaul of that position in my view. I think thats why they couldn't use the position well. No one at TE was any good last year, so who can you throw to when you can't trust your TE to catch the ball? Let alone do anything with it afterwords.

Members online

Latest posts