playbook

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like every time I see a replay; our receivers are making their cuts directly into the opposing DBs or linebackers. It is like they know the play beforehand. Something needs to change in a hurry. Jones constantly staying on the sideline and only getting man on man on every play is pitiful. He has got to mix it up more across the middle. And pitiful attempts at trying to establish a running game that gets us one or two first downs will not work. The holes won't open up until we can throw and we won't be able to throw until the routes are less predictable. Man was that an awful 3 quarters of offense!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a guy who "Doesn't like to turnover the ball" Aaron sure has turned the ball over a lot as of late. He has a potential game tying int in the end zone yesterday and a fumble 6 again.

Against the Cardinals he threw an int in the end zone that would've made the game 10-7 instead of 17-0 going into the half. He also had 3 fumbles with 2 fumble 6 at that game.

Against the Raiders he threw another int.

Although we have struggles with our Oline and Receivers. Aaron is a big reason why this offense is struggling. It will take a new coach to get him back to fundamentals, work on his clock to get rid of the ball, and give him some confidence. Maybe he should stop worrying about making all these commercials and tv shows and work on his craft some more. Once someone becomes complacent is when they will be eff behind.

If any other player played like he is playing, but was doing all these tv shows and commercials, you know they would not hear the end of it. But Arod continues to get a pass, someone needs to shake him up

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The playbook last night involved using an entire 14 players on offense.

I think the 5 O-line, Rodgers, JJ and Cobb were in on every single play.

The only guys rotating were Lacy and Starks and when they wen't double TE Quarless was in and Adams was out.
I saw 84 return one punt and 83 only play special teams. Didn't see if Perillo was active or Crockett. Never saw Ripper other than special teams.

Extremely creative stuff there MM.

Back to Rodgers. His footwork looked awful. He has extremely happy feet and seems to be throwing the ball from very weird lower body angles. The only time he looked comfortable at all was doing a pre-designed roll out.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It seems like every time I see a replay; our receivers are making their cuts directly into the opposing DBs or linebackers. It is like they know the play beforehand. Something needs to change in a hurry.
I noticed that too - on a few occasions the DBs looked like they were running the routes along with the receivers. McCarthy and staff need to plan to face man coverage because that's what has been working against them. And if they - you know - want to perhaps win the game they should introduce some new routes into the game plan.

azrsx05, incredibly some here have been calling for Rodgers to take more risks, implying that throwing INTs isn't a big deal. I don't know if you were one of those posters or not but for those who were criticizing Rodgers for not taking more chances, you can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interceptions are terrible. Never have liked them. But with the way we aren't moving the ball, I think AR has to do some threading the needle. I absolutely believe we have to move the ball via air for the running game to be effective. I was baffled by that 4th down throw to Kuhn. He had zero chance of making a first down. Against washington our DBs have to come to play. No way we get away with having cover linebackers all the time. Totally agree with your other points.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The playbook last night involved using an entire 14 players on offense.

I think the 5 O-line, Rodgers, JJ and Cobb were in on every single play.

The only guys rotating were Lacy and Starks and when they wen't double TE Quarless was in and Adams was out.
I saw 84 return one punt and 83 only play special teams. Didn't see if Perillo was active or Crockett. Never saw Ripper other than special teams.

Extremely creative stuff there MM.

Back to Rodgers. His footwork looked awful. He has extremely happy feet and seems to be throwing the ball from very weird lower body angles. The only time he looked comfortable at all was doing a pre-designed roll out.
I think they just need a fresh perspective in there at coaching. This offense is growing stale.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
azrsx05, incredibly some here have been calling for Rodgers to take more risks, implying that throwing INTs isn't a big deal. I don't know if you were one of those posters or not but for those who were criticizing Rodgers for not taking more chances, you can't have it both ways.

There is a big difference in taking chances and carelessly throwing the ball at a DB as he did last night. He had plenty of room and made a bad decision. The Arizona one was once again a horrible throw. He gave Jones zero chance at that ball, needed to be 5 feet higher.

His fumble I don't blame on Rodgers though... The line has been atrocious, but that doesn't excuse his throws. They were bad bad bad.

I am sure with your knowledge you know there is a difference between giving your receiver a shot, and throwing it directly at a DB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is those who criticized him essentially for not throwing more INTs - those who criticized his (historically) best TD/INT ratio were - and are - wrong headed. Rodgers has not been the supremely accurate QB we have become accustomed to this season, but refusing to give him credit before this season for his discipline in not throwing INTs was foolish IMO.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is those who criticized him essentially for not throwing more INTs - those who criticized his (historically) best TD/INT ratio were - and are - wrong headed. Rodgers has not been the supremely accurate QB we have become accustomed to this season, but refusing to give him credit before this season for his discipline in not throwing INTs was foolish IMO.

Yeah, I can definitely agree there. I think it is also possible that we have raised the bar TOO HIGH for Rodgers. And that there is no way that we can expect that kind of performance for anyone, every year. Just unrealistic.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Yeah, I can definitely agree there. I think it is also possible that we have raised the bar TOO HIGH for Rodgers. And that there is no way that we can expect that kind of performance for anyone, every year. Just unrealistic.

:eek:....You two agree on something ??? :laugh:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like every time I see a replay; our receivers are making their cuts directly into the opposing DBs or linebackers. It is like they know the play beforehand.
I thought the same thing.
I don't have a lot of faith in anything changing however.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread..We seem to have a lot of similar threads right now.....But I will allow them..

MM offense in last 9 years (not this year)

average of #6.5 in offense points score rank--top 5 in points scored 5 times...Twice #1

Oddly enough, that is exactly same rank in yards gained as well #6.5 average..Top #5 in yards gained 3 times

So he is proven to be a very very good offensive mind.

So did he all of a sudden forget what he is doing..

Nope---

Only thing he can do is maybe adjust game plan to fit the players he has now. But I still wont put the majority on MM---Maybe 20%---I am calling out Rodgers for majority

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread..We seem to have a lot of similar threads right now.....But I will allow them..

MM offense in last 9 years (not this year)

average of #6.5 in offense points score rank--top 5 in points scored 5 times...Twice #1

Oddly enough, that is exactly same rank in yards gained as well #6.5 average..Top #5 in yards gained 3 times

So he is proven to be a very very good offensive mind.

So did he all of a sudden forget what he is doing..

Nope---

Only thing he can do is maybe adjust game plan to fit the players he has now. But I still wont put the majority on MM---Maybe 20%---I am calling out Rodgers for majority
So you are giving McCarthy the credit for the performances in past seasons, yet giving Rodgers none, who has consistently been the best QB in the league.

Did Rodgers forget how to throw a football? No. In fact, much of their offensive success at the beginning of the year came from his ability to improvise and produce plays despite vanilla play calling. No QB in the league has ever had a great year while constantly being harassed and without a #1 WR or capable TE.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So you are giving McCarthy the credit for the performances in past seasons, yet giving Rodgers none, who has consistently been the best QB in the league.

Did Rodgers forget how to throw a football? No. In fact, much of their offensive success at the beginning of the year came from his ability to improvise and produce plays despite vanilla play calling. No QB in the league has ever had a great year while constantly being harassed and without a #1 WR or capable TE.

Not giving a pass, but to say MM play calling is an issue doesnt fly with me-We had two diff play callers and nothing has changed..

MM didnt forget how to call a game...But what ever he is doing isnt working..Thats why I said he is to blame maybe 20%..

I and a few others have mentioned this before---Play calling will not make Rodgers over throw someone..Or make him throw in wrong spot when JJ would have had a TD vs Vikings last Sunday..

I think line gets about 20 % too..

Rodgers and receivers 30% each...They cant get open when then should and Rodgers is missing throws he normally makes in his sleep. Even tho Rodgers didnt forget how to throw, he is missing throws and making bad choices when he never did before

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not giving a pass, but to say MM play calling is an issue doesnt fly with me-We had two diff play callers and nothing has changed..

MM didnt forget how to call a game...But what ever he is doing isnt working..Thats why I said he is to blame maybe 20%..

I and a few others have mentioned this before---Play calling will not make Rodgers over throw someone..Or make him throw in wrong spot when JJ would have had a TD vs Vikings last Sunday..

I think line gets about 20 % too..

Rodgers and receivers 30% each...They cant get open when then should and Rodgers is missing throws he normally makes in his sleep. Even tho Rodgers didnt forget how to throw, he is missing throws and making bad choices when he never did before
I can't defend anyone who calls a screen pass to Richard Rodgers every game. The receivers aren't blanketed every single play, and Rodgers has missed throws, but for the most part defenses have us figured out and McCarthy hasn't been able to make any adjustments to fight man coverage.

Every play involves the receivers in 1-on-1 matchup, which we know that we will lose in most cases, so most of the plays are setting us up for failure. Maybe it's The entire playbook that is the problem, and it is designed for players who can win these matchups. That doesn't work when you don't have a #1 receiver.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As has been pointed out a number of times on this board, I do think McCarthy and staff call too many pass plays with isolation routes. That worked in the past because the receivers were better winning one-on-one match ups but it's not working now because they aren't consistently winning those match ups. And IMO the expectation of any pass thrown to Richard Rodgers is that he'll be tackled within one to two yards of making the catch.

Members online

Latest posts