Play-it-safe Thompson holds back the Packers

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This should inspire some great discussion.

By Mike Vandermause

The Green Bay Packers were the big losers Sunday in the Randy Moss sweepstakes.

A Moss trade to Green Bay has been rumored for most of the offseason, but the Packers couldn't close the deal.

They weren't aggressive enough in attempting to land a desperately needed offensive playmaker, and it will come back to haunt them. Somewhere in Mississippi, quarterback Brett Favre must be frowning.

Instead of adding a proven Pro Bowl receiver, the Packers' idea of helping Favre over the weekend was to draft a pair of unproven wideouts who will be hard-pressed to make an immediate impact.

The New England Patriots were the big winners in the Moss derby. They secured Moss' services for the bargain-basement price of a fourth-round draft choice and a reported $3 million in compensation in 2007.

Ted Thompson, the Packers' general manager, has taken a measured, cautious approach to building the roster. There are benefits to that philosophy, in which Thompson leans heavily on the draft and accumulating extra picks, mixes in occasional free-agent signings, and focuses on retaining solid players on the roster.

But there's a significant flaw in Thompson's strategy. At some point, a team has to be willing to take a risk, and Thompson seems unable or unwilling to do that. The safe way is not always the best way.

Former Packers GM Ron Wolf was a master at throwing caution to the wind. In 1992, he traded a first-round draft choice for Favre, who was a third-string quarterback. In 1993, he handed over a boatload of money to sign free-agent Reggie White. In 1995, he traded a second-round pick for tight end Keith Jackson. Those were key moves that helped build a Super Bowl championship team.

That go-for-the-throat mentality appears to be lacking in Thompson, who seems too willing to allow other teams to force the action and dictate terms.

His passive approach has left the Packers without a go-to running back. Thompson was outbid by the Houston Texans for free-agent Ahman Green during the offseason, and he wasn't willing to move up in the first round to select a premier back. In fact, Thompson never has traded up in the draft.

Besides an untested backfield, Favre will be forced to live with one bona fide star receiver — Donald Driver — and a collection of players high on potential and low on experience.

Thompson would do well to heed the advice of Wolf, who last week offered his philosophy on targeting certain players, either in the draft or on the trade market.

"The bottom line was, if you really wanted a guy, go get the guy," Wolf said. "So what if you gave too much? You would try to make that up some other way. The key was, make sure you got the guy you wanted to get."

The Packers failed to get Moss, a player Favre would have welcomed with open arms. The result is the Packers, who ranked a lowly 22nd in points scored last season, likely will continue to struggle on offense.

Asked Sunday if he needs to be more aggressive for the Packers to reach the next level, Thompson replied: "What we try to do is everything in our power … to help to make this team as good as it can be."

Thompson needs to venture outside his comfort zone and try harder. Only then will the Packers be as good as they can be.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This sums it up for most fans losing patience with the lack of urgency..

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2128

Packer Nation finally reached a boiling point during last weekend’s draft. Boo-birds sang loudly in the Lambeau Field Atrium draft day party, while fan reaction on Internet blogs ranged from mild surprise to mostly demands of Ted Thompson’s head on a platter.

Why? Because – during the draft – many fans finally came to the sad realization that Ted Thompson has no plan of doing anything special to help Brett Favre on the offense side of the ball; therefore, giving their hero little chance to finish his career with another Superbowl victory.

To those fans I say – Ted Thompson’s draft prowess is not the place for your anger. His inability to make a bold move is. Whether it is free-agency, a blockbuster trade, or moving up in the draft, Ted is not interested. But, don’t equate his lack of risk taking with poor drafting ability. The more I evaluate this draft, the more I like it. I think Ted Thompson is proving to be a fine evaluator of college football talent.

For the most part, Ted does a very good job of taking the best player available when it is his turn to draft. He uses this skill to his advantage by acquiring extra picks. He is a tireless evaluator who makes informed decisions on the available talent pool. Good news is in the long-term the Packers will be a better team with Ted Thompson at the helm. Bad news is they will never win a championship because he cannot make the bold move – the move every GM must make to win a championship.

Ted Thompson may be less talkative than a monk with laryngitis, but his performance in the draft clearly showed how he feels in two particular areas. First of all, he truly believes Aaron Rogers is the future at quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. Passing on Brady Quinn was a clear answer to the referendum that is Aaron Rogers.

Secondly, he doesn’t intend to make any moves that can be perceived as direct benefits to Brett Favre. There were multiple opportunities for Ted to make a bold move this year and he passed every time. This off-season Ted felt it was important to stay on task and keep building for the future. However, therein lays the problem. Will the future ever arrive for Ted Thompson? Will the opportunity ever be right to make the bold move?

To me, its beginning to seem the issue isn’t that Ted Thompson doesn’t want to make the bold move; it’s that he can’t make the bold move. He physically cannot do it. By nature, he’s an ultra-conservative, glass half-empty guy who cannot handle the fear associated with moving outside his comfort zone. We all work with this personality type. They are diligent, detail-oriented workers who are severely averse to risk-taking.

So, don’t be mad about the players Ted drafted. He’s pretty darned good at drafting. I think fans will warm up to his selection of Justin Harrell – provided the kid doesn’t get hurt. Several other players from the 2007 draft will help the team, and some will become good players.

Frustration directed at Ted Thompson should be focused on his inability to make the bold move. If Ted were at the helm instead of Ron Wolf, the Packers never would have acquired Reggie White, Keith Jackson, or Brett Favre. I mean…could you imagine Ted Thompson giving up a first round draft choice for a third-string Atlanta quarterback drafted in the second round from Southern Mississippi?

I sure can’t.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well since Zero started another tread.... why not
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Even though the ending is predictable :)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

lol i thought it was a decent article and i thought if i posted it in the 'hate ted' thread it'd get lost by those who still want to read decent articles on this site. :)

Pack93z

Reaction score
lol i thought it was a decent article and i thought if i posted it in the 'hate ted' thread it'd get lost by those who still want to read decent articles on this site. :)

No complaints... just thought I would throw some more gas on it :)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z: You very well may be right about Thompson being doomed by overcautiousness. His record in Seattle does show that he got some solid players, but the team did not take its leap until the year after he left and they brought in some free agents. Possibly Thompson was planning on doing that anyway, but I doubt it.

I would caution you, though, about judging Thompson too early. We have another thread going where somebody is criticizing the Harrell pick as "risky" because of Harrell's injury history. So by that standard, I guess that if Harrell becomes a difference-maker, Thompson's picking him will be seen as a "bold move." Often the bold moves are the ones that are viewed as stupid or boring at the time. Reggie White and Brett Favre were fantastic acquisitions by Wolf (and Reggie's signing was anything but boring), but those sorts of things don't come along very often. What bold moves did the Patriots make before they won their first Super Bowl? I honestly can't think of any. They didn't start going after big-name free agents until after they'd won their first championship.

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

TOP HAT: AMUSING, SINCE THE ARTICLE WAS POSTED DAYS AGO, DAYS AGO IN MY "DRAFT REVIEW" THREAD.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:

TOP HAT: AMUSING, SINCE THE ARTICLE WAS POSTED DAYS AGO, DAYS AGO IN MY "DRAFT REVIEW" THREAD.

Zero2Cool : Almost as amusing as your utter arrogance.

-- see i can type my name then bold the entire line too!! ---

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Suppose we should get back to the article here...

The article states Wolf through caution to the wind several times. I hope Thompson does the same. It's unfair to match them because Wolf was a GM before coming to GB. Thompson's first gig as GM is GB.

I wonder how many know how important that is.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson made a bit of a splash last offseason. Big contract for Charles Woodson. That started out rough, but ended up giving the Packers one of the better CB tandems in the league.

I'll admit he's been a bit quiet this offseason. Too quiet for my taste. But he built a winner in Seattle, and I've liked what he's done so far.

I really think we have a bunch of ignorant fans if the growing sentiment is that a few big moves would make us a contender. Last year's 8-8 is deceiving. We had a SUPER soft schedule and we won against some bad teams down the stretch (notwithstanding Chicago, but even they weren't REALLY fielding their A-team). This upcoming year we have to play against the NFC East as well as the AFC West. Damn. That's 5 playoff teams.

I know we want success right now. We expect success. We've had TONS of great years (with a HOF QB no less). That isn't normal. Look what happened to the 49ers after so many years? What about the Cowboys? It takes a few years to get things going again. How do you do that? You draft well. Judge what you will about this offseason's draft, but it really is of no significance until these guys get out there and play.

Point of my rant: let the FB people do what they do. Storm the castle gates when **** is really out of hand... not when it's all still up in the air (and your team won twice as many games last year as they did the year before). ;)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suppose we should get back to the article here...

The article states Wolf through caution to the wind several times. I hope Thompson does the same. It's unfair to match them because Wolf was a GM before coming to GB. Thompson's first gig as GM is GB.

I wonder how many know how important that is.

1) Do you really want the GM to "throw caution to the wind" ??

2) Who really believes that adding a Randy Moss type free agent is better than James Jones??

3) Do we really want hundreds of threads debating the "Sherman-keep it going philosphy" vs the "Thompson- we're building steam philosphy" ??

4) As Packer fans can't we all just get along?

5) I really did not see any free agents that were "worth it" except perhaps Eric Johnson.

6) Too many people do not realize the work of the coaching staff in improving young players. Is it logical to assume that Spitz, College, Moll, Hawk, Jennings, Martin, and Holliday will not be better players in 2007??

7) Do you not think that the Packer staff saw good things in Brandon Jackson and James Jones to select them ahead of what some journalists thought were better players??

8) Why do you assume journalists know more about player evaluation than the Packer scouting staff??

I think you must give Ted Thompson the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. We have all been suprised by low round guys that turned out to be very good players. Relax and enjoy Packer football.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheese,
I got into this very subject with the TT naysayers regarding progress and how HAVING young players and HAVING the team back together will equate to improvement.

That's where the teams with youth benefit vs. teams that have older players that have reached their peak performance years.

The one thing about the NFL is that once you have been given that opportunity the coaching staff gets a handle on whether or not to proceed a whole lot further very quickly. Either you show something or your out.

It may be a new concept to some Packer fans because since around the 2000 season we pretty much stayed status quo with players so there WAS LITTLE benefit from young guys who got more PT the previous year.

A couple of players from that time that you can track and see how playing time and experience helped themselves and GB was Barnett and Walker.
Each year those two got better and made GB better at those positions.

Now we have many young players from last year that know NFL football and how it's played better than they knew it last year. They showed they have the ABILITY to execute and contribute although they didn't have the EXPERIENCE to MAXIMIZE their production.

As these players gain experience they will achieve a higher and higher level of production until they too reach a peak.

We should see at least SIX to Eight players increase their production over a freshman 2006 year. Hawk, Poppinga, Wells, Spitz, Colledge, Jennings, Moll and I will add Jenkins because we found where he fit best late last year.
That many players who are now better prepared and have a better understanding of what they have to do is certainly going to help make this a better football team than '06.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Californiacheez summed it up well with one question:

6) Too many people do not realize the work of the coaching staff in improving young players. Is it logical to assume that Spitz, College, Moll, Hawk, Jennings, Martin, and Holliday will not be better players in 2007??

As for the orginal author, I like the way he can look back on Wolf's moves and point out the benefit of taking risks, but he doesn't mention the Woodson acquisition done by TT last year or Wolf's misses.

Oh and wasn't it Wolf that passed on Moss in the first place? I rest my case. Said author is a moron.

These bagging on TT topics are beyond old.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like, to me at least, that the author is trying to use reverse psychology to get Ted to make a move. Like, if I want my 2 year old to do something, I tell him not to or that he cannot do it.

I don't think Ted will fall for that. If roster moves are not influenced by fan opinion (as he has said), then they definitely will not be swayed by reporters.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I think most fans would just be content if TT showed he could build a winning team some time in his career.

Seattle was under .500 while he was there.

Green Bay is under .500 since he's been here.

And before everyone races to be the first one to call me a "TT-Basher", as I've said before I'm not a TT anything, I'm a Packer fan. I don't care who does it, I don't care how he does it, I don't care if he puts us in salary cap hell, I don't care if if builds through the draft, I don't care if he uses young players, I don't care if he uses veteran FAs, I don't care if Favre is QB, I don't care if Ingle Martin is QB.

All I want is for someone to get Green Bay to win more games than they lose. And when they do, I'll be that person's biggest supporter. And when they don't, I won't think they are doing a very good job.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Your posts would be so much better if you actually posted something

The irony in this post is so thick I can barely even see anymore.

These boards are ripe with humor right now, and I love it and hate it at the same time. Oh, how I long for even the preseason...

Well, I still think that it still is way too early too judge. The article talks about some of the moves Wolf made in 1992 and 1995. A four-year span. We are halfway through that and fans are screaming murder. I could see their point of view if we went 8-8 then 4-12. A sharp sudden decrease in wins. But we didn't. So those praising Wolf and calling for Thompson head need to step back.

Guess how we finished in the playoffs under Wolf in '92 and '93? 0-0. That's right, we didn't make the playoffs. He needed time to make his plan work. Give TT the benefit of the doubt.

And some smileys for good measure :Canada: :wall: :boo: :Evil:

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Maybe I missed the memo... When did taking risks become the road to the Superbowl?

Not counting this offseason (which reeks of desperation to me) how many risks have Scott Pioli and the Patriots taken in the last 7 or 8 years? They seem to have built a pretty good team without gobbling up every free agent that came along.

How well has that strategy worked out for the Redskins? or the Vikings? How well have the Oakland "We'll take everone's rejects" Raiders fared?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares about Randy Moss, I wish we could have kept Javon Walker. I just wonder what the Packers would be like with J-Walk, and DD. Could the Packers have signed M.Whale and drafted Colledge, Spitz a few years later?

If you have HOF qb, with a great arm, and a coach who loves to throw, why not focus on that, and build on it.

Members online

Latest posts