Planning my visit for the weekend of Nov. 21st

amp49ers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, I'm glad I found this forum. I knew there had to be a web site that would discuss visiting one of football's 'must-visit' shrine.

Here's my basic plan on visiting Green Bay, I only have a weekend to visit and want to obviously hit as many spots as possible. I want to hit the Lambeau Field tour and go to the Packers Hall of Fame. Probably other places you guys and gals may suggest.

I'm flying in solo and taking a red eye flight into Wisconsin.
Now here's the first question.

1) Should I fly directly to Green Bay/Austin Straubel or fly to Milwaukee and drive the two hours? The flights coming into Green Bay and Milwaukee will come in around 8:30am. (By flying into Green Bay, I don't have to drive the extra 2 hours into town)

2) On Sunday, my flight leaves around 6PM at Green Bay, or I could drive to Milwaukee and take a 7PM flight out. What I worry about is the after game traffic and the probably driving in bad weather. The game is a Noon start, so I guess I'll still have time to drive to Milwaukee and make my flight?

3) To tie into the first two questions, the difference in air fare is about $180, should I save the money and go to Milwaukee? (I'll be renting a car, either way if I fly into Green Bay or Milwaukee) Now by saving the money, I'll have less time to tour Green Bay, and add to the stress by driving in after game traffic down to Milwaukee in possible bad weather and worrying to catch my flight home. I'm leaning towards flying directly to Green Bay.

4) Finding a place to stay: I've read that if you want to stay at a hotel in Green Bay, a two night stay is required. I'm flying in Saturday and leaving after the game. I'll have a rental car, so driving and staying outside of Green Bay will be ok. I found a few nice places in Appleton, do they require a two night stay, too? Other than Appleton, any other recommendations? I'm solo, so I don't have or hardly have any unique requirements.

5) Game time parking, I read that the parking lot at Lambeau is only reserved for season ticket holders. I found great information at Packers gameday.com, is the information there spot on? Or are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
-Alan

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just fly into Green Bay and dont worry about the speed traps and such that litter 41/43 and enjoy your extra two hours in Green Bay.

Stay in Appleton rates will be a little more reasonable and try to stop by the fox river mall as it is much nicer than the Mall in Green Bay.

For the pre-game check out Martys Boston Crab. $35 all you can eat and drink with free parking and rides to the game. Just down the street from Lambeau. I had an absolute blast when I went there several years ago. Plus the radio guys do the pre-game there which is kinda cool.

Oh BTW Appleton is about a 35 minute drive away but you can find some places on Hwy 41 that will keep you close to both Green Bay and Appleton.

Be prepared to see a lot of Blaze Orange around that time if you aren't familiar to the area.

atw airport

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Options

I don't mean to add more details to your trip, just additional options. There is an airport in Appleton (about 30 minutes away) the code is ATW. When I tailgate I purchase pre-paid passes from a company called Ticket King in Greenbay. They are pricey but they are reserved and very close. When you get there, there will be many parking and tail-gating options on gameday also. It just depends on the mood your in.

GO PACK!!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should actually be going to the game and PackAttackUK will be attending as well so we should coordinate and go as a group to the pregame festivities. Also would be an awesome opportunity for some great Photos for Packerforum.

MichPackerBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See a few suggestions I just posted for the "monday night football" thread regarding hotels in GB. Also, just south of Appleton is Oshkosh, where there are a bunch of hotels along US 41, which probably do not require two nights stay. All the usual franchise names.
If yhou can, take a little time after the game to enjoy the post game festivities in the Lambeau neighborhood. It's a good time at all the sports bars.

T-Bomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If ever you're in the area again, you could also think about staying in a town near Green Bay. That way it won't be so congested when you're there for the game and you probably wouldn't have the 2 night minimum stay to worry about. You could stay in Appleton as you mentioned or another place I've stayed is Manitowoc which is about a half hour to 45 minutes away. It's a very nice area. They have a bunch of hotels off of I-43. We usually stay at Super 8, but there's a Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, and some other ones around the same area.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get to the stadium early and walk around the neighborhood and check out the party scene. Fly into GB, as Milwaukee is a dump. There isnt much to do in GB though so be warned. I would strongly suggest calling the union hotel in De pere, Wi and seeing if they have any rooms as it would be extremely cheap and you would get to stay at where the 60s teams hung out after games. The place hasnt changed a bit and is also a good place to eat. Peter King of Sport Illustrated named it the 2nd best bar for sports fans in his most recent book. Its not a sports bar but you walk in and you can picture Lombardi at the corner table.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
If you want to see some NFL shrines in Green Bay......go to City Stadium behind Green Bay East High School. City Stadium was the Packers home until 1956 and the Packers have erected some very cool monuments on the site where Green Bay East still plays football. City Stadium is on Baird St on the East side of town. The house that Curly Lambeau was born and raised in is about two blocks away right across the street from nearby Nicolet Elementary school. Lambeaus grave can also be found in the Allouez Catholic Cemetary on Webster Ave in Allouez right next to the CVS Pharmacy. The house that Vince Lombardi lived in is also in Allouez and is located on Sunset Circle and it is the Red Brick ranch on the north side of the street. There is great eating in Green Bay at traditional old school places like Kroll's (east side and west side) and Al's Hamburger downtown. Green Bay is a great town and I love living here and you will love your visit. ENJOY! and GO PACK GO! If you need someone to have a beer with on Gameday I tailgate in the vacant lot just South of the stadium and am always at the Leinie's Lodge just north of the Oneida Nation Gate until kickoff.

Members online

Latest posts