Pittsburgh media: "The Packers didn't win, the Steelers lost"

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over and over again over the week after the Super Bowl, I heard nearly every Pittsburgh media member claim that the Packers didn't really win the Super Bowl, but that the Steelers gave it to them. Granted, in Pittsburgh even the most diehard Steelers fans hate the media, but I kept on hearing this over and over again.

Their idea is basically that turnovers are "luck" or that the Steelers just decided to give the ball to the Packers. Really, there's no logical explanation for their reasoning. Did the Steelers QB purposely throw the ball to Nick Collins and Jarrett Bush? Did Mendenhall purposely drop the ball on the ground? The answer of course is no, but these hosts make it out that the Steelers just gave it away on purpose.

Their argument basically boils down to the old "we would have won if we would have scored more points than the other team" because it's that stupid. Yet they keep on saying it over and over again. I think most Steelers fans aren't that dumb and believe that the better team won and that they just came up short, but unfortunately the prevailing notion in the Pittsburgh media is that Rodgers, Jennings, etc. aren't really that great and that the Packers pretty much just got lucky.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only team that got lucky was the steelers. They got to play a defense with out woodson for a little over a half and shields was out a whole qtr. They also got a dumb facemask call. They could only score 3pts up to the point we lost woodson and sheilds then all of a sudden they start scoring hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I say if woodson and shields played the whole game pitt dont score over 20.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet if Pittsburgh would've gotten turnovers they would have attributed to the wonderful talent and skill of their defense, masters of their craft, and lords of their niches, but when it's the other way around it becomes "luck".

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I hope they manage to convince the remainder of the NFL teams that it was merely luck as well. It wouldn't bother me a bit if the rest of the league underestimated us next year, because their PERCEPTIONS will only limit their ability to deal with the FACT that the Pack IS Back!

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over and over again over the week after the Super Bowl, I heard nearly every Pittsburgh media member claim that the Packers didn't really win the Super Bowl, but that the Steelers gave it to them. Granted, in Pittsburgh even the most diehard Steelers fans hate the media, but I kept on hearing this over and over again.

Their idea is basically that turnovers are "luck" or that the Steelers just decided to give the ball to the Packers. Really, there's no logical explanation for their reasoning. Did the Steelers QB purposely throw the ball to Nick Collins and Jarrett Bush? Did Mendenhall purposely drop the ball on the ground? The answer of course is no, but these hosts make it out that the Steelers just gave it away on purpose.

Their argument basically boils down to the old "we would have won if we would have scored more points than the other team" because it's that stupid. Yet they keep on saying it over and over again. I think most Steelers fans aren't that dumb and believe that the better team won and that they just came up short, but unfortunately the prevailing notion in the Pittsburgh media is that Rodgers, Jennings, etc. aren't really that great and that the Packers pretty much just got lucky.
ah, you peeps and the media. Do you have a link/quote from any "media"? I work at NMCSD with over 1000 employees and I have not heard any of what you are saying from any of the Steeler fans,,,,,they all say "congrats"..."we sucked", "it hurt, especially from all the turnovers", etc etc etc.

5 Boroughs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just proves how dumb some people are. No the game had nothing to do with the fact that Big Ben may have faced the toughest D he's seen the entire year. How the pressure and are coverage were just luck. Yeah it was just luck we ripped through the playoffs on the road and controlled every game including the SuperBowl. It was just luck that Rodgers played the way he did, how he handles pressure and stuck it to all the doubters out there. Yeah it it was just luck how injures slowed the team down for a bit, but once we kept players on the field we put together what teams call chemistry and played together as a team. Yeah it was all luck we won. Get real. People are affraid to admit the truth they lost cause we were the better team. Be affraid cause we will be around for the next 5 years...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The only articles I saw here in the Capitol of PA to that effect was written by a guy from the Minneapolis Star Tribune. My brother and his son are die hard Steelers fans and we watched the game together. At the end of the game, he said; "You know I thought the Steelers were going to win it at the end". They just didn't do it.

Most of the Articles I've read, though, in the Harrisburg paper give a lot of credit to a young Packers team that rose to the occasion. I recall one article saying the Steelers played "flat" and to that I would agree. But most of the articles say the Packers overcame adversity with depth and great play.

Reverend Conehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha ha ha! They did the same thing after Super Bowl 30. You'll recall the Steelers had the chance to win that game, but O'Donnell threw two picks. Larry Brown had done his homework and knew O'Donnell's tendencies and read those plays and was in the right place to get those two picks that sealed the game. What we got from Steelers fans was a simpleton analysis to the effect of, "If we woulda scored on those drives we woulda won" and "Larry Brown got lucky." No, Larry Brown knew what he was doing and made the plays the team needed to win.

No way did the Packers simply get lucky. They lead the entire game and won mainly with D. The Steelers had the ball with about 2 min left to play, but the D rose to the occasion and stopped'em, even without Woodson. They forced those three turnovers. It wasn't a case of a better team just goofing up and giving it to them.

I agree -- it is as dumb as, "If we woulda scored more points we woulda won."

"If the guy on our team had caught the ball instead of the guy on the other team when our guy threw it, then we woulda won."

"If our guy had kept the ball instead of dropping it so the guy on the other team could pick it up, then we woulda won."

OP
OP
Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was radio media, stuff I heard in the car day after day last week. Apparently the radio hosts aren't dumb enough to also write it in the newspaper, as some of them double as writers/radio hosts. So there's no juicy articles to read. But I can assure you that the topic title was an exact quote from some of those hosts. The Steelers fans for the most part are smarter than the hosts and don't attribute it to luck.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can they be so sore when the majority of their own team said WE OUTPLAYED THEM!

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if any team in the nfl had the worst "luck" this season it was the packers. ******* steelers fans only know the steelers and know nothing else about any other team in the nfl. clueless ********.

Our stars missed out this season due to injury, their big star missed out early because he ****** around. yeah, great organization you have there pittsburg.

i hope the steelers make it to the superbowl next season so we can "outluck" them again.

**** the steelers fans.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Losing fans have to rationalize the pain they are suffering. So looking at the three TAKEAWAYS (more appropriate term than turnover) it is easy to say, the Steelers had bad luck on those. Sorry, GB didn't just have LUCK and the Steelers handed them the ball, the GB D forced the takeaways and made plays.

I'd say the Steelers had more luck than the Packers in that game. Woodson, Drivers out of the game the 2nd half. BS facemask. Steelers NEVER had the lead ever. How is that Luck? Capers did say the LONG halftime helped them adjust to Wood being out. So I guess that was lucky for us.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you expect them to say anything else?......They're like the Montreal Canadiens of the '70's........they never gave the other team credit for beating them.

JEFF4i

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOTALLY disagree. And I'm a Steelers fan.

You guys didn't play overly aggressive with score, because you didn't have to. The team that has no turnovers, the team that scores early and takes the lead, and the team who holds up on defense to keep a lead, wins.

Bottom line. We played well, all things considered, but that day, the Packers were the better team on the field.

JEFF4i

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers had to consume clock, they did.

When the Packers were only up by 4, they forced a turnover.

When the Packers had to stop a team KNOWN for it's 2 minute drill to win. They did.

It hurts, but it's true. I hate people devaluing wins with this stuff.

Latest posts