1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Piling on

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by net, Aug 29, 2006.

1. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    The Packers are squarely not ready to compete for the playoffs at this point.

This happens in the new coaches tenure when players are still trying to get a sense of what needs to be done.

I can forgive most of what happened on offense.

I can't forgive what happened on defense. This is a veteran unit playing in a simplified system. If a high school team tackled like that, you would work them until they passed out. This is the pros. Simple, fundamental football is something you shouldn't be worrying about by the third pre-season game.

While pre-season is always the excuse, I can't find a reason to excuse no pass rush, poor tackling, high-paid defenders(Al Harris the exception) out of position and the opponent doing what it wants to do at its will.

And, once again, on national television.

One final observation: can we put a bounty on the morons still wearing cheeseheads?

2. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    One final observation: can we put a bounty on the morons still wearing cheeseheads?

:agree: :wall: :wall: :wall: :beer:

3. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There were only three guys from our D that belonged on the field yesterday, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Montgomery and the consummate pro, Al Harris (get this guy an extension TT).

4. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree there, TOP. Jenkins was getting his name called alot.

I shudder to think what practice will be like following this dismal performance.

5. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It may still be a preseason game, but horse hockies..LOL..this maybe a very long season for us...

6. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    i hope our 1st game agaisnt the bears will not be like this,e was teribble,and when they did get to the q.b. they let him slip through their fingers just let him get away, i hope our other games are better.

7. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    These pansies were whining about practice being too long this past week. I hope McCarthy runs their a$$e$ ragged this week.

8. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the bad tackling was pretty disturbing. It wasn't just a couple players either, it was a whole bunch of them.

I don't think the Packers were manhandled at the line of scrimmage like they were in the San Diego game. In this game, a lot of the blame falls on the so-called skill players, Charles Woodson being the biggest culprit.

And it needs to be said that the fumble by Favre was horrendous, and the interception wasn't pretty either. Another late throw over the middle--just what McCarthy said a QB should NOT do.

9. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah..he should've have taken the sack..

He should have taken a bunch of sacks...How dare he hit his receivers right in the hands with a football..What the hell is the guy thinking out there?

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I never really thought this team could make the playoffs. I thought maybe 6 or 7 wins and I still think that. I think after this game it's going to be an inconsistent season. Maybe a nice win one game and then a loss to a team like the 49ers that'll just make you cringe.

With that said if they look sloppy Friday and if they get whooped up by the Bears then I think things are going to be as bad as last year and probably worse.

11. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd add Barnett, Hawk, and Collins to that list.

12. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Barnett and Hawk blew last night.

13. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree. Barnett led the team in tackles and Hawk wasn't far behind. I'd say our Dline outside of Jenkins blew as well as Woodson and Manuel.

14. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Barnett was AWFUL last night, no question. He could not cover a friggin TE. I thought Nick was fast. He also missed quite a few tackles as did Hawk. There wasn't 1 LB on the field for the Packers last night who played even close to well.

15. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Remember, your playing Chicago's Offense the 1st game...an offense without the right QB starting. You are in good shape despite the Cinci game.

16. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What tackles did they miss?

17. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Week 1 will be a low scoring game. I'm thinking something like 13 to 7. It won't be a high scoring pretty game. Both O's will struggle and both D's will do well. I like Chicago with the experience they have.

18. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    4th&26...you SURE you won't have a QB controversy by then?? :)

19. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    i hope not. let us play against rex.

20. carlos

carlos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the bright side. We'll get next years number one pick.

21. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gee..I hope we're not saying that for every year that TT is here!

That wouldn't be good.

22. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Over a preseason game we've now determined we will get next years #1 pick? Geez....

23. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    4thand26,

I find you have said something far more positive than a lot of Packer fans have in the last week with that one post, considering you are a Bears fan.

Maybe if all us Packer fans read what you posted, things wouldn't be so volatile on the forum right now.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

24. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well at some point Ted Thompson has to be held accountable.

1) For the coaching staff because he fired the old one including Jim Bates(900K this year) the packer bottom line is affected by paying multiple coaching staffs.
    2) The departure of players without getting value. Wahle, Sharper, Roman, Thomas, Longwell were all starters that not only have not been adequately replaced but nothing was obtained in exchange. Several back up players as well.
    3) The drafts. 2005 1st round player and one of the second rounders have no production while the 3rd round was traded away. The production of the other draft picks has yet to been demonstrated.
    4) Few of the players acquired by Sherman remain. Over 50% of the players are Thompson acquired. Blaming the former GM is no longer valid. There is cap room.
    5) Winning games. The 4 years proceeding Ted Thompson's arrival the Packers were a contender reaching the playoffs. Since his arrival they have only won 25% of their games. Changing the coaching staff this year has the team winning 33% of their games.

It is time for some light and heat to be applied to Ted Thompson in order to at least get him recognize he is responsible to win first and foremost. All other considerations are secondary.

25. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well at some point Ted Thompson has to be held accountable.

That and doesn't he have to pay Sherman? Or does that fee get waived once sherman takes another job? I thought he had to be a HC somewhere else in order not to get paid, not just an Oline coach.
    Wahle and Sharper I could see getting compensation for...but what in the world would we get for Roman, Thomas, and Longwell?
    His first rounder is playing well and is our QB of the future. Why that is not taken into consideration along with the amount of injuries to his draft picks such as murphy, underwood, poppinga etc is beyond me.
    Blaming the former GM for the lack of depth on this team IS still valid. The cap situation has been managed well THIS season. 27 draft picks in 4 years with Sherman, 23 in two years with TT. He is building through the draft.
    Yep, 25% with the former GM being the coach that season. Are you seriously using the preseason as a measuring stick for MM? Honestly? Lol ok so if we use that then we've IMPROVED from 25% to 33% right?