Piling on

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are squarely not ready to compete for the playoffs at this point.

This happens in the new coaches tenure when players are still trying to get a sense of what needs to be done.

I can forgive most of what happened on offense.

I can't forgive what happened on defense. This is a veteran unit playing in a simplified system. If a high school team tackled like that, you would work them until they passed out. This is the pros. Simple, fundamental football is something you shouldn't be worrying about by the third pre-season game.

While pre-season is always the excuse, I can't find a reason to excuse no pass rush, poor tackling, high-paid defenders(Al Harris the exception) out of position and the opponent doing what it wants to do at its will.

And, once again, on national television.

One final observation: can we put a bounty on the morons still wearing cheeseheads?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were only three guys from our D that belonged on the field yesterday, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Montgomery and the consummate pro, Al Harris (get this guy an extension TT).

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta agree there, TOP. Jenkins was getting his name called alot.

I shudder to think what practice will be like following this dismal performance.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope our 1st game agaisnt the bears will not be like this,e was teribble,and when they did get to the q.b. they let him slip through their fingers just let him get away, i hope our other games are better.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the bad tackling was pretty disturbing. It wasn't just a couple players either, it was a whole bunch of them.

I don't think the Packers were manhandled at the line of scrimmage like they were in the San Diego game. In this game, a lot of the blame falls on the so-called skill players, Charles Woodson being the biggest culprit.

And it needs to be said that the fumble by Favre was horrendous, and the interception wasn't pretty either. Another late throw over the middle--just what McCarthy said a QB should NOT do.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah..he should've have taken the sack..

He should have taken a bunch of sacks...How dare he hit his receivers right in the hands with a football..What the hell is the guy thinking out there?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never really thought this team could make the playoffs. I thought maybe 6 or 7 wins and I still think that. I think after this game it's going to be an inconsistent season. Maybe a nice win one game and then a loss to a team like the 49ers that'll just make you cringe.

With that said if they look sloppy Friday and if they get whooped up by the Bears then I think things are going to be as bad as last year and probably worse.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
There were only three guys from our D that belonged on the field yesterday, Cullen Jenkins, Mike Montgomery and the consummate pro, Al Harris (get this guy an extension TT).

I'd add Barnett, Hawk, and Collins to that list.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Barnett and Hawk blew last night.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Cory said:
TOPackerFan said:

Barnett and Hawk blew last night.

I disagree. Barnett led the team in tackles and Hawk wasn't far behind. I'd say our Dline outside of Jenkins blew as well as Woodson and Manuel.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett was AWFUL last night, no question. He could not cover a friggin TE. I thought Nick was fast. He also missed quite a few tackles as did Hawk. There wasn't 1 LB on the field for the Packers last night who played even close to well.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan4ever said:
i hope our 1st game agaisnt the bears will not be like this,e was teribble,and when they did get to the q.b. they let him slip through their fingers just let him get away, i hope our other games are better.

Remember, your playing Chicago's Offense the 1st game...an offense without the right QB starting. You are in good shape despite the Cinci game.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Barnett was AWFUL last night, no question. He could not cover a friggin TE. I thought Nick was fast. He also missed quite a few tackles as did Hawk. There wasn't 1 LB on the field for the Packers last night who played even close to well.

What tackles did they miss?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
packerfan4ever said:

Remember, your playing Chicago's Offense the 1st game...an offense without the right QB starting. You are in good shape despite the Cinci game.

Yeah Week 1 will be a low scoring game. I'm thinking something like 13 to 7. It won't be a high scoring pretty game. Both O's will struggle and both D's will do well. I like Chicago with the experience they have.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carlos said:
Look at the bright side. We'll get next years number one pick.

Gee..I hope we're not saying that for every year that TT is here!

That wouldn't be good.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over a preseason game we've now determined we will get next years #1 pick? Geez....

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:

4thand26,

I find you have said something far more positive than a lot of Packer fans have in the last week with that one post, considering you are a Bears fan.

Maybe if all us Packer fans read what you posted, things wouldn't be so volatile on the forum right now.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at some point Ted Thompson has to be held accountable.

1) For the coaching staff because he fired the old one including Jim Bates(900K this year) the packer bottom line is affected by paying multiple coaching staffs.
2) The departure of players without getting value. Wahle, Sharper, Roman, Thomas, Longwell were all starters that not only have not been adequately replaced but nothing was obtained in exchange. Several back up players as well.
3) The drafts. 2005 1st round player and one of the second rounders have no production while the 3rd round was traded away. The production of the other draft picks has yet to been demonstrated.
4) Few of the players acquired by Sherman remain. Over 50% of the players are Thompson acquired. Blaming the former GM is no longer valid. There is cap room.
5) Winning games. The 4 years proceeding Ted Thompson's arrival the Packers were a contender reaching the playoffs. Since his arrival they have only won 25% of their games. Changing the coaching staff this year has the team winning 33% of their games.

It is time for some light and heat to be applied to Ted Thompson in order to at least get him recognize he is responsible to win first and foremost. All other considerations are secondary.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at some point Ted Thompson has to be held accountable.

1) For the coaching staff because he fired the old one including Jim Bates(900K this year) the packer bottom line is affected by paying multiple coaching staffs.
That and doesn't he have to pay Sherman? Or does that fee get waived once sherman takes another job? I thought he had to be a HC somewhere else in order not to get paid, not just an Oline coach.
2) The departure of players without getting value. Wahle, Sharper, Roman, Thomas, Longwell were all starters that not only have not been adequately replaced but nothing was obtained in exchange. Several back up players as well.
Wahle and Sharper I could see getting compensation for...but what in the world would we get for Roman, Thomas, and Longwell?
3) The drafts. 2005 1st round player and one of the second rounders have no production while the 3rd round was traded away. The production of the other draft picks has yet to been demonstrated.
His first rounder is playing well and is our QB of the future. Why that is not taken into consideration along with the amount of injuries to his draft picks such as murphy, underwood, poppinga etc is beyond me.
4) Few of the players acquired by Sherman remain. Over 50% of the players are Thompson acquired. Blaming the former GM is no longer valid. There is cap room.
Blaming the former GM for the lack of depth on this team IS still valid. The cap situation has been managed well THIS season. 27 draft picks in 4 years with Sherman, 23 in two years with TT. He is building through the draft.
5) Winning games. The 4 years proceeding Ted Thompson's arrival the Packers were a contender reaching the playoffs. Since his arrival they have only won 25% of their games. Changing the coaching staff this year has the team winning 33% of their games.
Yep, 25% with the former GM being the coach that season. Are you seriously using the preseason as a measuring stick for MM? Honestly? Lol ok so if we use that then we've IMPROVED from 25% to 33% right?

Members online