Pick the best player at each level for our defense

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And cough up 'why'.

One from the Defensive line
One from the Linebackers
One from the Secondary

My d-line pick is a toss up between Jenkins and Kampman. I'll take Jenkins as he's a force against the run and the pass.

My linebacker pick is Barnett. He's making Hawk look average.

My secondary pick is Marquand Manuel... for not being on the field. (sorry Al, I had to take that shot)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would definitely go with Kampman on the D-line. He is a force against the run and the pass, just as Jenkins is, but better against both right now. I'm hoping Jenkins can get healed up a little, because I do think he has the potential to be as good as Kampman.

It's Barnett at linebacker, although I think that if Hawk was playing the middle and Barnett was on Hawk's side with all of Hawk's responsibilities, we would all be talking about how Hawk is "all over the field" and Barnett is invisible most of the time. The truth is, they're both very, very good. But I have to pick Barnett's real accomplishments this season over what I imagine Hawk would have accomplished if the played the middle.

In the secondary it's Al Harris, the lockdown corner, one of the best in the business. Woodson makes more big plays but also makes more mistakes.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins is a solid player but Kampman is and will always be a better player. Barnett is the man at LB, and Al Harris is still a better corner than Woodson.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D-Line: I'm going to go with Kampman as well, he's a great pass rusher and has really proven himself to me (and I'm sure others) in the last few years because I doubted him when we first drafted him. Kampman narrowly beats out Jenkins and Jolly for me. Johnny Jolly has been a pleasant surprise and he's only going to get better!

Linebackers: Nick Barnett, hands down. Barnett is an elecrifying player in my opinion. There's no doubt in my mind that he can go down in history as one of the best Packer linebackers ever if we keep him around here for the majority of his career. He is smart and has a great talent. He is making AJ Hawk look like he's 30-something years old (not that AJ hasn't been playing well, it's just from what I've seen I think that Barnett is outplaying him 10-fold)

Secondary: This is tough, I am going to go with Charles Woodson though. Woodson has the experience and leadership qualities that we need on defense. He seems to always be involved in the bigger plays on defense. Harris and Bigby a close second for me. I'm VERY impressed with Bigby's agressiveness and he has become one of my favorite players on the team. Collins is playing alright, not as solid as I would like to see him though.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D-Line – I will go with Kampman, but Pickett is a very important player for us and is playing well.

LB – Barnett.

DB – You can't go wrong with either CB, but I will pick Harris.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Kampman - He pressures the Quarterback on almost every play. He never stops or takes a play off.

Nick Barnett - A.J. Hawk has more upside but Barnett is outplaying him. He's been better in coverage and he's been a tackling machine. I think he's going to the Pro Bowl this year.

Al Harris - He constantly takes on the best receiver of our opponents and presses him at the line of scrimmage. I like Woodson a lot and think he's a big play guy but what Harris does is ridiculous in my opinion. He's playing smash mouth, in your face type of football against anyone.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Kampman - He pressures the Quarterback on almost every play. He never stops or takes a play off.

Nick Barnett - A.J. Hawk has more upside but Barnett is outplaying him. He's been better in coverage and he's been a tackling machine. I think he's going to the Pro Bowl this year.

Al Harris - He constantly takes on the best receiver of our opponents and presses him at the line of scrimmage. I like Woodson a lot and think he's a big play guy but what Harris does is ridiculous in my opinion. He's playing smash mouth, in your face type of football against anyone.

:agree:

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DL - Kampman

LB - Barnett

DB - Harris

I like the way Timmons put it in the first post. Barnett is playing so good this season he's making Hawk(a very good player of himself) look like just another guy.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've said this before but in reality Barnett and Hawk are competing for stats which is a great thing. It's crazy how teams like the 49ers (Willis)and Bills (Poslusnzy) drafted big name LBs to basically anchor and lead their defense but we got Hawk, a superior player to both and hes just a cog in our machine. Says alot for the talent on the D.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DL-Jolly. Wasn't he the one who kept on batting down thw opponent's passes?

LB- Not toobad here but Barnett has been a playmaker all season

DB-Bigby-He's been the difference maker back there. In the mold of LeRoy Butler.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definsive line=Kampman because of the pressure he gets to the QB, and forcing fumbles.

LB= Barnett, he is swarming around every play, he always seems to be in a spot to make the tackle or do whatever he has to do. And most of the time he comes through for us.

DB= Al Harris. I think he is the most consistint guy back there. He always gets matched up against the other teams number one reciever and he comes through for us.

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I have to watch Kampman vs. Jenkins more as Kampman is getting more of your attention. I'll look for it.

For my serious answer for the secondary, I'd choose between Bigby and Harris and give it to Harris, for being out lockdown guy. No big plays, just all our consistent (well man on man deep ball knock downs are big plays, but no big INTs).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D-Line: Kampman. You'd think he would slow down or be neutralized since the NFL is on to his shenanigans, but no, he keeps on producing no matter what. Also, he got the big contract and he didn't stop trying like a lot of people do when they get their payday. Kampman is the man.

LB: Nick Barnett. He is 2nd place in tackles in the NFL I believe. Also, he's better than Poppinga and Hawk, which makes this an easy pick.

DB: Atari Bigby. Yeah, I said it. Woodson and Harris are starting to show their age, and make a lot of mistakes (as well as some good ones). Collins is the personification of AVERAGE, but Bigby seems to be doing it all - covering, hitting, deflecting, intercepting. And he is doing it all at a young age.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DL- Kampman. High motor guy, who also has talent, a very tough combo. Jenkins probably has more talent, but not quite the heart or desire - although he is very good as well.

LB- Barnett. Just a good football player, with athletic ability to boot. For a guy many think is miscast in his current position, he still makes the big play and is consistently around the ball.

DB- Tough call. Bigby has been a significant upgrade and made the unit play better as a whole. He has also shown toughness, is a sure tackler and seems to be around the ball alot. Woodson has shed the reputation from Oakland and returned to earlier form. He has played through injury, and can change a game on any given play. But I would have to say Harris. Always matched against the top receiver, plays through injury is football smart and aware.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Kampman and Barnett picks but I am going to go with Woodson and maybe even as the MVP on defense.

It is a huge difference to have that guy over there that can do as much damage as Harris because they come his way vs. having a weak link over there getting burned.

Also, his ablility in the bump and run give the defense so much flexibility it's night and day to what we could do if he could not do this. Sanders has way more options because of what Woodson can do over there.

I see no one on the defense that has done more and been more productive with their opportunities than Woodson and that's saying alot because several guys over there are doing a damn good job.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Kampman up front with a strong second to Pickett.

Barnett easily at LB.. the others are steady.

I have to go with Harris.. not much is getting caught on him. Close second to Bush.. because he is without a doubt light years ahead of the gent that had the spot last year. ;)

profootball weekly said:
Barnett already making a case for Pro Bowl berth
Oct. 19, 2007
After a 12-tackle performance against the Redskins that team insiders believe might have been his best at the pro level, it has become quite apparent to anybody with eyes that Nick Barnett was playing as well as any middle linebacker in the league heading into the Packers’ bye week. Although he has some legal issues that might come into play before the season runs its course, it will be a big surprise if Barnett isn’t packing his bags for Honolulu this coming February. Barnett has registered at least seven tackles in each of the Packers’ first six games, but unlike his previous four seasons, when many of his tackles occurred 7-8 yards downfield, he’s been much more active at the line of scrimmage, displaying an impressive combination of blazing speed that is never out of control and flat-out nastiness at the point of attack. While his stellar run defense has been by far his best quality, Barnett has also greatly improved his pass coverage and is on pace for career highs in both interceptions (five) and pass breakups (eight). There are other strong candidates for team Defensive MVP honors so far this season (most notably DE Aaron Kampman and CB Charles Woodson), but our sources believe Barnett is by far the most deserving candidate up to now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts