Pick any player

Reaction score
If you could pick ANY player CURRENTLY playing in the NFL to be on the Packers, who would it be?

My choice:

Reggie Bush - He IS a game chagner and he WILL be a stud IMO. It says something when teams are targeting him to make sure he stays in check at such an early age. Not to mention if we add Bush, all of a sudden we have our future RB, and our WR options look a LOT more comforting with DD/GJ/RB/RF/RM.

I also think he would've been able to help A-Rod in terms of taking some of the media microscope that will be on him when Favre is gone.

So who would you choose, and add a short blurb about why. :)

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ladanian Tomlinson-Same reason as Reggie Bush except he's already proven as perhaps the best offensive player in the game...and unlike Bush he can take on 35-40 carries and run the clock if you have the lead

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish our problems could be solved by a single player, but I know they can't.

To have the most impact, I think an upgrade over Manuel at safety would be the best player. Troy Polamalu from the Steelers will be my pick.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Great choice HtE.

However one more reason just came to mind:

Bush will need time to adjust to the NFL. He is young so once he adjusts, he'll be great. Our O-line needs time also. I think a year of having Bush and the O-Line just develop would be more beneficial than having someone, say LT, coming in and being a year older next year and finally having some shape of an o-line.

However on the other hand LT can come in and being the player he is, make due with less so he would REALLY help neutralize the ineffectiveness of our young o-line.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
BR, I do agree with you that no one player can help.

I was thinking about the other side of the ball, and thought TP might be the best addition, or perhaps Dwight Freeney.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I was thinking about the other side of the ball, and thought TP might be the best addition, or perhaps Dwight Freeney.

We're actually producing a pass rush and getting great play out of our DL, so I think the bigger impact would come from upgrading at safety.

On the offensive side I think that we'd need to get the OL unit together as a whole before anyone would have a major impact. Green has looked very good (except for some drops), but he doesn't have any running room. That wouldn't change for LT or RB, although those guys would command more attention.

A great safety wouldn't have let the Bears out to an early lead, changing that whole game. It also would have helped us hold onto our lead last Sunday. That's the biggest impact I think any single player could make for our team right now.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"TP?"..........toilet paper??? :wink: :lol:

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Very valid points. I do think though that LT could make something more with our o-line than Green, but of course no proof on my part.

I said Freeney because of 2 reasons:

1. You can never have too much of a pass rush.

2. I hope he could serve as a mentor of sorts to Jason Hunter, who has comparable speed.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very valid points. I do think though that LT could make something more with our o-line than Green, but of course no proof on my part.

2. I hope he could serve as a mentor of sorts to Jason Hunter, who has comparable speed.

Good points. I guess I was thinking of the highest instant impact. Solidifying our secondary with a playmaking safety to compliment Collins would go a long way.

I agree that LT would likely do more than Green, but he would still struggle with our OL blocking right now.

Basically we need only 3 guys to go to the Super Bowl this year. Too bad there isn't a chance in hell on getting any of them.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats funny, Freeney was my first thought and figured noone would mention him. Good call AADP!

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Polamalu or Reed. They could help the Pack D figure out other team can throw the ball.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to spark some more discussion, I'll pick one player from every position, who I think is the best at every position who would be best suited for the Packers...
QB-Brett Favre
RB-Ladanian Tomlinson
WR-Larry Fitzgerald
...Young, still developing, but already has one 100+ catch season, his height would be a great complement to driver
TE-Jeremy Shockey
...what? not antonio gates????? I love the intensity that Shockey brings, every game, he gives his team an identity, I haven't seen a Packer team with a true identity since Reggie White was the leader of the team
OL-Olin Kreutz
Some people might pick Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden...I'm going with an experienced center due to the fact that he'd be able to make blitz calls, etc...and help all of our rookies progress...and Kreutz is still fairly young, somewhere around his 5th-6th season
DL-Aaron Kampman
Enough said, pound for pound the best DL in the league
LB-...
I like our LB core and where its headed, I wont tamper
DB-Ed Reed
TURNOVERS are what he produces...and we havent done that in a while...a good hitter and always comes up with big plays

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Reggie Bush? You have got to be kidding. Err, I disagree, big time. Bush is hella elusive, but he's a rookie. If you have a selection out of 1,643 playerse I surely will not be picking a rookie lol.

This is a very good question. I have to think first what are biggest weakness is. What we lack the most. Many will disagree, but I think its on defense.

I'd have to go with Ed Reed and move Nick Collins to Strong Safety.

I think Ed Reed makes our Safety position solid and will help the DC go with more man to man coverage instead of zone where Woodson and Harris can excel. I think both Woodson and Harris are better man to man cover man than they are zone.

This addition also makes it easier for the D Line to pressure the qb and the LB blitz.

I feel it would shore up the defense very nicely and let Brett do his thing on offense without feeling like he needs to hold the ball forever and make errant throws.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walter Jones. If we had this kind of player pretecting Favre's blind side and run blocking, there is no question that this would be a very different offense. Easily the best offensive lineman in football.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Reggie Bush? You have got to be kidding. Err, I disagree, big time. Bush is hella elusive, but he's a rookie. If you have a selection out of 1,643 playerse I surely will not be picking a rookie lol.

This is a very good question. I have to think first what are biggest weakness is. What we lack the most. Many will disagree, but I think its on defense.

I think Ed Reed makes our Safety position solid and will help the DC go with more man to man coverage instead of zone where Woodson and Harris can excel. I think both Woodson and Harris are better man to man cover man than they are zone.

This addition also makes it easier for the D Line to pressure the qb and the LB blitz.

I feel it would shore up the defense very nicely and let Brett do his thing on offense without feeling like he needs to hold the ball forever and make errant throws.

Indeed choosing a rookie would be very different than picking a known pro-bowl player such as Ed Reed.

I understand your line of thinking, but I choose a rookie mainly because IMO the Packers aren't one playmaker (Reed) away from competing. Would it help tremendously? Yes, but I would be willing to loose 2 or so extra games without a player of Reed's caliber in order to get a top pick in the draft.

As for Bush, I feel he is still about at least one year (a couple IMO) from becoming a solid pro-bowl type player. In that span of time I think he'd be able to learn and get used to the speed of the NFL and be further along the learning curve. Thus he will be ready to "break-out" so to speak, in a couple of years when are O-line is established and better, A-Rod has had a season under his belt, and we have more playmakers.

All in all, I would use this because we'd have all the right parts coming together at the right time and allowing us to compete and contend.

Of course that is how I would think it would happen, but there are just to many circumstances that must end in the Packers favor for this to be a sure thing.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's your line of thinking, A-Dap, then my pick would be D'Brickashaw Ferguson. I picked Walter Jones as the player that helps us compete the most right now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Indeed choosing a rookie would be very different than picking a known pro-bowl player such as Ed Reed.

I understand your line of thinking, but I choose a rookie mainly because IMO the Packers aren't one playmaker (Reed) away from competing. Would it help tremendously? Yes, but I would be willing to loose 2 or so extra games without a player of Reed's caliber in order to get a top pick in the draft.

As for Bush, I feel he is still about at least one year (a couple IMO) from becoming a solid pro-bowl type player. In that span of time I think he'd be able to learn and get used to the speed of the NFL and be further along the learning curve. Thus he will be ready to "break-out" so to speak, in a couple of years when are O-line is established and better, A-Rod has had a season under his belt, and we have more playmakers.

All in all, I would use this because we'd have all the right parts coming together at the right time and allowing us to compete and contend.

Of course that is how I would think it would happen, but there are just to many circumstances that must end in the Packers favor for this to be a sure thing.

So you think we have a better chance with Bush and Aaron Rodgers than we would with Brett Favre and Ed Reed?

Interesting.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Zero2Cool said:

So you think we have a better chance with Bush and Aaron Rodgers than we would with Brett Favre and Ed Reed?

Interesting.

Not necessarily better, but they (A-Rod+Bush) would be able to maintain success for a longer period of time if they play to potential.

Add that to my opinion that Culver will be ready in a couple of years to form a killer duo with Collins, thus taking away having Reed from my perspective.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go with a big time receiver but they're so unpredictable so I'm happy with the dependability in Driver. If I'm thinking of the Packer's specifically I'd say Hutchinson. Never would I have ever thought of an O-LIneman but watching him with the Vikings I've realized what a dominant lineman can do

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Reggie Bush. Yes he's a rookie but he's one of those rookies that don't come around very often. Now my reasoning is simple. Bush would be effective now and probably be the face of the game in a year or two. Most important the state of the team. If we were in a contender I would take someone to put us over the top (like a Freeny or Ed Reed) but since we have a lot of missing puzzle pieces, I would take the best young up and coming player in the game today and that's Reggie Bush in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts