1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Phrases that make no sense

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Cheesehead4, May 28, 2006.

1. Cheesehead4

Cheesehead4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    we all know some, we all use some, lets see how many we can come up with.

you almost hit something, it is called a near miss, but isn't it a near hit?

fat chance and slim chance have the same meaning?

By the skin of my teeth.....we have skin on our teeth?

2. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    why do we drive through parkways and park in driveways?
    Why does a shipment go by truck, but cargo goes by ship?
    You do not have a hot water heater in your house. If the water is already hot, why would you have to heat it? It is a water heater.

3. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe - Maybe not - mean the same thing

Why is it called a Bra though woman have 2 Boobies, shouldn't it be called Bra's, yet, panties is plural even though they have only 1......uhhhh you get it

Why do they call Doctor's offices Practices? They ain't practicing on me!

4. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bra is short for brazier, though I prefer the manzier.

When people like chocolate, why are they called "chocoholics"? That makes no sense. Alcoholic = alcohol + ic. People who like chocolate should be called chocolatics.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Vikings win the super bowl

6. Cheesehead4

Cheesehead4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :lol: They bribe the refs you see :wink:

7. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "You talk like a man with a paper ***." Now what the hell does that mean?

8. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You just want your cake and eat it too.

(What the hell are you going to do with cake if you can't eat it.)

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Six on one hand, half a dozen on the other...........HUH!?!?!?LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

10. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "your grandmother milks goats!" i have NO clue what the heck that means but my mom said it the other day & i was laughing my buttinski off!!

another fave of my mom's is "you must be pickin sh1t with the chickens!"

11. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In baseball, why is a ball that hits the foul pole a home run, and not foul?

Here is one that I can answer "The whole nine yards". I saw on the History Channel that machine gun bullets came in bundles that were 9 yards long. Thus, giving "The whole nine yards" means giving everything that you have.

12. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ever heard anyone say they were going to unthaw something? Wouldn't that mean they're just leaving it frozen?

It probably depends on which way the ball bounces.

13. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    no, it doesnt. if it hits any part of that pole, its a homerun...reagrdless if the ball bounces foul, or if it bounces back onto the field...or if it flies right into the umpires ***(he probably deserved it).

14. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking of fair or foul....why in net games; tennis, badminton, etc. or baseball, are the lines considered "in" if the ball hits it, but in other games like football and basketball, the lines are considered "out."?

15. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    You wanna hear stuff that doesn't make any sense? Go listen to the sheep that are more commonly known as leadership in big businesses. These guys hear something that sounds smart and repeat it without thinking about it.

Execuspeak:
    "On a go forward basis" or "going foward" <-- This is my most hated statement. The tense of the sentence in which it is used means that it is not required. Futhermore, forward is a direction and not a time reference. I usually ask about what our 'going backwards' plan is, just to be sure. The worst instance I've ever heard of this was "Our go-forward plan"... as if we have plans pertaining to the past? Good Lord, stop me now.

"Per se" - Per se is latin for "Not needed". Take any sentence in which 'per se' is used, and you can just drop the 'per se'. It means and adds nothing. Usually, the author is just trying to sound smarter, per se. <-- I am funny!

Other statements:
    "Could care less" instead of "Couldn't care less". Most people use the former incorrectly instead of the latter.

And one more thing that drives me nuts... What happened to "You're welcome."? Why doe everyone answer a "Thank You", with a "Thank you." Are we so politically correct and team serving now, that we can't even say "You're welcome."

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    When people say "thank you" alot of times i say "No problem!" Because i don't consider it a problem to bestow what SHOULD be commom courtesy to them. (Holding a door open, that kind of stuff.)

17. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    again, the whole "thank you" issue happened to me just today. somebody was thanking me for donating some stuff to my kids' preschool. maybe it's just me but saying "you're welcome" would be like taking credit for doing something that i didn't really want credit for. all i could say was "oh, it's not big deal & no problem."

does that make any sense to anyone else?!? :wink:

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It makes sense 4pack! But as they say.....one person's trash is another person's treasure!

Yesterday. my wife and i went to see the new "X-Men" movie. As we left the theater, a young man (probably 14 or so) went out of his way to hold the door for my wife and I. There was a van picking him and his brother up, and both I and my wife went over to tell his Mom what he had done. I wanted him to KNOW that it is appreciated and noticed, and i wanted his Mom to know so too! There's NOT alot of people that do that anymore......think of others.

19. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That first one drives me nuts too.

I'd rather hear thank you in response to my thank you than "uhh huh" which seems to be more and more common.