Philbin is new Packers OC

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No cronies for the Packers!!

Philbin is the new OC, Campen is the new OL coach and fontenot his assistant.

Moss is now the LB coach along with asisstant head coach/defense

Via Packers.com

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exciting news. I figured they would promote from within.

Hell I'm just psyched they didn't hire freaking Hackett. Proves something to me about MM. That he will try to do whats best for the team rather than his buddies even if they gave him his first shot in coaching.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it because there is something to be said for loyalty and consistancy. Keeping everyone on the same page and continuing to build on what was started here is really important right now.

Going into '06 the coaches didn't know the players and the players didn't know the coaches and it took awhile for all of them to get comfortable with each other.

There will be a much better understanding of what needs to be done, how it's going to be done, and, what's expected of both the coaches and players as far as MM is concerned.

I think MM is gaining respect from players and staff. He is not prone to change or panic and puts his faith in both these groups and there have been times(the three game losing streak for one) when all kinds of crap could have started happening. The HC seat was pretty hot about then.

MM played it cool, they brought Jenkins in at DE, and things worked out fine. If you remember there were coaches like Sanders who no one at the time thought would be here right now.

His bus ticket was printed and paid for but MM made it clear nobody was getting fired. That's the kind of guy others want to coach and play for.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philbin named offensive coordinator

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Coach Mike McCarthy promoted Joe Philbin to the Green Bay Packers’ offensive coordinator position on Monday, among several promotions he announced on his coaching staff.

McCarthy also promoted linebackers coach Winston Moss to assistant head coach defense. There were no indications in the Packers’ press release suggesting Moss would be running the Packers’ defense instead of defensive coordinator Bob Sanders, and the release said only that Moss will continue to coach linebackers and also “will serve as McCarthy’s primary aide and will expand his interactions with the entire football team.”

Also, with Philbin moving from offensive line coach to offensive coordinator, McCarthy promoted two other offensive-line assistants to more prominent roles.

James Campen goes from assistant offensive line coach to offensive line coach, and Jerry Fontenot replaces Campen as offensive line assistant. Fontenot was a second offensive line assistant last season.

Philbin replaces Jeff Jagodzinski, who left after one season as the Packers’ offensive coordinator to become Boston College’s head coach.

Jagodzinski was the architect of the Packers’ zone-blocking run scheme, and now Philbin will take over that role as the coordinator of the run game, while McCarthy continues to coordinate the team’s passing game.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to replace Schottenheimer. I'd like to see Washington get promoted and bring in LeRoy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All nice moves in my opinion. I think when push came to shove promoting within was the right move with the OC. I like the fact he's giving Moss a bigger role with the Defense. I thought he's done a great job with the Line backers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the moves too, based on what I know. Philbin is the best choice for continuity. And I agree with packedhouse1's idea of getting rid of Schottenheimer and bringing in Leroy to help out with the DB's. Seems like if Schottenheimer was on his way out it would've happened by now, though. So I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Philbin deserves a shot at OC. He may prove out to be a good choice.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All nice moves in my opinion. I think when push came to shove promoting within was the right move with the OC. I like the fact he's giving Moss a bigger role with the Defense. I thought he's done a great job with the Line backers.

I agree. He was my first choice as a fan. Continuity as well as loyalty for the hard work. How can it be justified bringing someone in like a hackett to oversee the work that has been put in place over the last year? I would have been very very very disapointed in MM had he hired his friend. Shows me that MM will do what he truly feels is best for the Packers rather than helping out old buddies EVEN if they happen to be the buddy that gave him his first shot.

Not to mention it seems that MM did his due diligence and saw what was out there. Kudos MM very professional and very responsible.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy with McCarty's decision to promote from within.
It shows that he has faith in his original hirings and keeps continuity which is something this young team really needs.
I think that only when things are going horribly wrong someone from the outside may have to be brought in to get a fresh perspective on a bad situation. That was not the case here.
I'm still in favor of getting rid of Schottenheimer, but I'm resigned to the thinking that it is not going to happen this year.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good decision from MM ... now that we know for sure that we are keeping the same offensive scheme ... next year the o-line and marshawn lynch should be explosive :jumpflame: :p wow

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good decision from MM ... now that we know for sure that we are keeping the same offensive scheme ... next year the o-line and marshawn lynch should be explosive :jumpflame: :p wow
Don't forget about AHMAN GREEN!!! :chalflag:

Members online

Latest posts