1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philbin is new Packers OC

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Cory, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No cronies for the Packers!!

Philbin is the new OC, Campen is the new OL coach and fontenot his assistant.

Moss is now the LB coach along with asisstant head coach/defense

Via Packers.com

2. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Exciting news. I figured they would promote from within.

3. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hell I'm just psyched they didn't hire freaking Hackett. Proves something to me about MM. That he will try to do whats best for the team rather than his buddies even if they gave him his first shot in coaching.

4. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I like it because there is something to be said for loyalty and consistancy. Keeping everyone on the same page and continuing to build on what was started here is really important right now.

Going into '06 the coaches didn't know the players and the players didn't know the coaches and it took awhile for all of them to get comfortable with each other.

There will be a much better understanding of what needs to be done, how it's going to be done, and, what's expected of both the coaches and players as far as MM is concerned.

I think MM is gaining respect from players and staff. He is not prone to change or panic and puts his faith in both these groups and there have been times(the three game losing streak for one) when all kinds of crap could have started happening. The HC seat was pretty hot about then.

MM played it cool, they brought Jenkins in at DE, and things worked out fine. If you remember there were coaches like Sanders who no one at the time thought would be here right now.

His bus ticket was printed and paid for but MM made it clear nobody was getting fired. That's the kind of guy others want to coach and play for.

5. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Given my outlook, I say they could have made a much worse choice.

I am hopeful.

6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

7. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    They need to replace Schottenheimer. I'd like to see Washington get promoted and bring in LeRoy.

8. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    All nice moves in my opinion. I think when push came to shove promoting within was the right move with the OC. I like the fact he's giving Moss a bigger role with the Defense. I thought he's done a great job with the Line backers.

9. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the moves too, based on what I know. Philbin is the best choice for continuity. And I agree with packedhouse1's idea of getting rid of Schottenheimer and bringing in Leroy to help out with the DB's. Seems like if Schottenheimer was on his way out it would've happened by now, though. So I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

10. Cliff

Cliff Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Joe Philbin deserves a shot at OC. He may prove out to be a good choice.

11. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My concern is Ty Knott as offensive quality control.
    With a name like that some may not ... take him seriously.

12. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. He was my first choice as a fan. Continuity as well as loyalty for the hard work. How can it be justified bringing someone in like a hackett to oversee the work that has been put in place over the last year? I would have been very very very disapointed in MM had he hired his friend. Shows me that MM will do what he truly feels is best for the Packers rather than helping out old buddies EVEN if they happen to be the buddy that gave him his first shot.

Not to mention it seems that MM did his due diligence and saw what was out there. Kudos MM very professional and very responsible.

13. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Does He still keep the zone blocking?

14. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I think that was the point of hiring Phillibin. He had the best grasp of the zone blocking scheme. :shrug:

15. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I was hoping for someone that uses the scheme

16. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah, me too! ... I think our small athletic OL would get murdered if we tried anything else lol

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    REGIS PHILBIN!?!?!
    Oh....wait.....nevermind!! :rotflmao:

18. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy with McCarty's decision to promote from within.
    It shows that he has faith in his original hirings and keeps continuity which is something this young team really needs.
    I think that only when things are going horribly wrong someone from the outside may have to be brought in to get a fresh perspective on a bad situation. That was not the case here.
    I'm still in favor of getting rid of Schottenheimer, but I'm resigned to the thinking that it is not going to happen this year.

19. Krazygangsta

Krazygangsta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good decision from MM ... now that we know for sure that we are keeping the same offensive scheme ... next year the o-line and marshawn lynch should be explosive :jumpflame: :p wow

20. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget about AHMAN GREEN!!! :chalflag: