Philadelphia vs. Green Bay + expert picks

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecente ... 002_GB@PHI

The Philadelphia Eagles have had no shortage of offensive weapons this season, and Brian Westbrook may be the most dangerous even when he's not completely healthy.

The speedy running back hopes to be back at full strength and continue his great start when the Eagles play the Green Bay Packers on Monday night.

Despite battling a nagging knee injury the last two weeks, Westbrook has been in the lineup every Sunday and opposing teams have paid the price. His 420 total yards from scrimmage and five touchdowns lead the NFL.

Westbrook has missed most practices the previous two weeks due to swelling in his knee, but an extra day off this week could help his recovery.

"I want it to be 100 percent," Westbrook said. "I don't want to keep doing this."

While he is among the league leaders with 256 rushing yards and 5.8 per carry despite being limited to 44 attempts, Westbrook remains one of Donovan McNabb's top targets. He has 15 receptions - one behind tight end L.J. Smith for the team lead - and tops all non-wideouts in the NFL this season with 164 receiving yards.

The fifth-year player has totaled 1,815 receiving yards and 16 touchdown catches over the last four seasons, the best marks for a running back.

"It's one of those things when you're in the offense for a number of years," Westbrook said. "I know pretty much all the plays. I go to meetings. I watch tape."

The Packers (1-2) have likely seen tape of Westbrook's performance last week, which helped Philadelphia (2-1) beat San Francisco 38-24 and bounce back from a disappointing loss to the New York Giants in Week 2.

Westbrook carried the ball eight times for 117 yards and two touchdowns, including the longest of his career on a 71-yard run, and caught four passes for 47 yards and a TD. The highest rushing total of his career came against Green Bay in last season's 19-14 victory on Nov. 27 when he ran for 120 yards and a TD on 20 carries.

Including a playoff matchup in 2004, the Eagles have won four in a row over the Packers and have won eight straight home games against them since 1962.

Those streaks are likely to continue if McNabb keeps up his hot play. He has a 105.3 passer rating, throwing for a league-high 960 yards and seven touchdowns this season with one interception.

One of his favorite targets has been newcomer Donte' Stallworth, who caught 11 passes for 222 yards over the first two games but was sidelined last week with a hamstring spasm. Stallworth is probable for Monday's game.

Without Stallworth last week, McNabb connected with second-year receiver Reggie Brown five times for 106 yards and a touchdown.

"We can be a great offense," Brown said. "We need to be more consistent, but we know what we have here. We have to put it all together every week. That is our goal."

The Eagles already lead the NFL in total offense with 436.0 yards per game. They have a good chance to at least maintain that pace when it meets a Green Bay squad ranked 31st in both passing defense, allowing 301.0 yards per game, and overall defense, giving up 388.3 per contest.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said his team's biggest problem on defense is an inability to stop what he calls "explosive plays" - runs of 12 yards or more and passes of 16 yards or more.

"We need cleaner communication," McCarthy said. "We've got to be more decisive, more urgent, and we'll get that cleaned up."

The Packers allowed a season-high 424 yards last week, but managed their first win of the season, 31-24 over Detroit.

Brett Favre came through with his best game of the season, completing 25 of 36 passes for 340 yards and three touchdowns, and ended a run of 12 straight games of throwing an interception.

"I enjoyed the heck out of the game," said Favre, who joined Dan Marino as the only players with 400 career touchdown passes. "There's nothing like winning, but there's nothing like playing - period. I hate to think if I was home and didn't come back this year, what would I be thinking?"

Donald Driver, who leads the Packers with 18 receptions for 269 yards, was Favre's go-to guy the first two games. Green Bay demonstrated versatility last week, however, as 10 different receivers caught a pass.

Green Bay's offensive line allowed five sacks over the first two games, but didn't give up one last week for the first time in 13 games. That may be hard to repeat Monday because the Eagles are tied for the league lead with 16 sacks this season.

Philadelphia also has forced seven fumbles, one of which defensive tackle Mike Patterson returned for a 98-yard touchdown last week - the sixth-longest in NFL history.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow I looked at the expert picks and saw 2 out of 5 picked Green Bay to win this game. I'm suprised by that number. I thought it'd be 5 for 5 with Philly winning.

I hope Green Bay wins but we always struggle against Philly.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they go against the spread so technicly they probably believe GB will lose by less than 11 points.
The thing I like about streaks is that they end. Hopefully their 4 straight end Monday.

OP
OP
U

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we need to win this game. i hate the eagles.

if the packers win this game do you think we can have a winning season??

the packers are going to play a pretty good team. i think if they win this game they will have a great chance of haveing more than 8 wins this season.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win this game, I think we can all rest assured that they're better than even us fans have given them credit for. Maybe "playoffs" good.

I'm with you, umair. I can't stand the Eagles, either. I do a lot of Navy work in Mount Laurel, NJ, which is, like, 7 or 8 miles from Philly. Every time I go I am constantly wearing something with a Packer logo on it. I take a lot of crap for it, too (but not too much - I'm 6-3 and 275 pounds...)

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win this Monday, they will have some serious confidence going into the Rams. And after that, a bye week to straighten out any problems we have.

I think if the Pack can manage a win, they will make the playoffs.

OP
OP
U

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what are the chances of us winning this game???

what scares me is that we are playing one of the top os and the packers have one of the worst pass ds.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a really tough game to call. Before last week it would be really easy to say we'll get blown out on Monday Night. Not that the Lions game was a rousing success, but it showed progress over the previous week and substantial progress from week1, and gives us hope. That said, we have been (to borrow a line from Simon Cowell - say it with me in an English accent!) "ab-solute-ly dread-ful" in prime time games of late. The last good showing we had was the dec '04 Oakland game (correct me if I'm wrong). The most recent showing was an utter disaster against Cincy in the pre-season. Hopefully our young players have short term memory loss and our latest prime time debacles don't even enter their heads.

Like I eluded to initially, I think this game could go either way. I could see us pulling out a victory (oh, how sweet would that be), but I could also see us losing big. Hopefully, we continue to progress and at the VERY LEAST make a game of it. Go Pack!

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that a lot will depend on how much Westbrook and Stallworth are able to play. If they don't, the Eagles are the same as they were last year after TO got suspended. Their DBs are banged up so Brett may be able to run it up on them.

My biggest concern really is LJ Smith. We do not cover tight ends very well.

While it is nice to see a couple of the experts pick GB, as it has been noted, they are picking against the spread so they feel the game will stay within 11 points. On the bright side of that, they are the only 2 experts with winning records this year. :lol:

Just a thought, last week had no INTs and an incredible QB rating for Brett. Is the rolling out letting him see the field better or is it just that he is taking more time since he does not feel the pressure? Whichever it is, it is a huge improvement.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings needs to come up big again this week. Driver will hold his own as he always manages to do but Sheppard and Hood are both doubtful so even if they do play it won't be at 100%.

Jennings will need to take every advantage of the injury situation and make some big plays.

With the pressure Philly likes to bring Green will have to have a good day catching the screen and swing passes to counter.

The loss of Kearse helps us. Cole has had a lot of sacks from the other end position but he didn't have to run far with Kearse's constant pressure.

Kearse is one of those guys that puts consistant pressure on so we catch a break there. With the protection packages now used we will hopefully be able to pick up the third down overload pressure the Philly "D" coordinator likes to use.
If we CAN handle it I look for Mr. Jennings to have a big night.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOBODY hates the iggles like I do but realistically there is no reason they should lose to us.....

Other than the fact that they are PHILLY and it's just a matter of time til they implode. They do it every year. It's usually later though.

Winning record????? How about 12-4.....you haven't been paying attention!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry guys but i just don't see us winning this one.
even with the eagles defensive players injured - they are too strong of a team.

i hope to God they prove me wrong though!! go pack go!!!!!! :D

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
sorry guys but i just don't see us winning this one.
even with the eagles defensive players injured - they are too strong of a team.

i hope to God they prove me wrong though!! go pack go!!!!!! :D

Insta4umBan til the Packers win their next game ;P

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
How can Theisman not pick? What a tool

hah thought the same thing and then i thought maybe because he's calling the game and has to take a hard line approach an cant pick a team?

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty please, zero - bring back naked baby?!? or something that doesn't mess with my puter?!?! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz????

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
It's ESPN/ABC's policy. No one calling a game can make a prediction. Herbstreit has to do the same thing for college games. He can't pick the game he's calling later in the day on College Gameday.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
kmac said:
Yared-Yam said:
It's ESPN/ABC's policy. No one calling a game can make a prediction. Herbstreit has to do the same thing for college games. He can't pick the game he's calling later in the day on College Gameday.

woohoo i was right!!

Zero2Cool said:
Yared-Yam said:

hah thought the same thing and then i thought maybe because he's calling the game and has to take a hard line approach an cant pick a team?

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win this game it would be a fluke and nothing else. The Eagles are a good team and the Packers are not, if the Packers should win (we all know they won't) they will go 5-11 instead of 4-12 at best.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackjackking said:
If the Packers win this game it would be a fluke and nothing else. The Eagles are a good team and the Packers are not, if the Packers should win (we all know they won't) they will go 5-11 instead of 4-12 at best.
....and the Negative Post of the Week Award goes to...... Bj king! :D

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Blackjackking said:
....and the Negative Post of the Week Award goes to...... Bj king! :D

I’m sorry that not all my posts are toothpaste commercials. This is reality; the Packers are bad and when Favre retires it will get worse. But if it will make you happy here it goes! The Packers are going to win, no team is going to beat the Pack (except those first two) the Packers are the best. Hooray! Hooray! Is that better?

McMVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
I would think that a lot will depend on how much Westbrook and Stallworth are able to play. If they don't, the Eagles are the same as they were last year after TO got suspended. Their DBs are banged up so Brett may be able to run it up on them.

Not sure about Stallworth....but Westbrook will play...and probably play a lot. I think they are limiting his practice time on purpose. Some of it may be injury related, but I don't think it's all that bad. I think they are trying to keep him fresh. I'm more concerned about Stallworth's hammy than I am Westbrook's knee.

But I do disagree that without these 2 we are the same as last year. McNabb played all year with a sports hernia. His health is the biggest difference from a year ago....plus their o-line was badly injure last year as well...they are all healthy now....and upgraded at center (Jackson over Fraley).

I do agree that Brett could have some big plays tonight. I haven't been too happy with the play of our secondary. Lito has been hurt since week 1....and his backup was out for a game as well. When you play a 3rd string CB, you will give up plays.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackjackking said:
I’m sorry that not all my posts are toothpaste commercials. This is reality; the Packers are bad and when Favre retires it will get worse. But if it will make you happy here it goes! The Packers are going to win, no team is going to beat the Pack (except those first two) the Packers are the best. Hooray! Hooray! Is that better?

The Eagles have had an easy schedule so far. They've played one good team(New York Giants) and lost. I agree they're a better team than the Packers, but a victory being a fluke? Come on. The Eagles aren't an elite team anymore. If we win that just means we played a great game and they made some mistakes to lose. Negative Nancy, geez. You pyle and cham are the worst.

Members online

Latest posts