PFW Top 50 Players... Not a Packer on it...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Not that this means much, but have we really fallen that far that we don't have a single player in the top 50?

Top 50 (at Bottom of Blog)

PFW's Top 50 NFL players list: a breakdown
Any day now, you can read our 2007 season preview magazine, which has landed safely in our hot little hands here in the office and soon should be in yours. I think we made some nice changes to this year's mag and offer some very good features. The Kickoff section is a must-read, too.

One section that has not changed is the player ratings story, highlighted by the Top 50 players list. It always generates controversy and discussion around the league — and I must say I thought colleague Mike Wilkening did an extremely thorough (every time I write/hear/see this word, I think of Big Lebowski: "He's a good man ... and thorough") job of compiling this year's list, which is headed up by LaDainian Tomlinson at No. 1, natch.

Taking things a step further, Dan Arkush broke down the list, team by team, to show the breakdown. And now, I bring it to you:

San Diego (5)

RB LaDainian Tomlinson (1)
TE Antonio Gates (18)
NT Jamal Williams (24)
LB Shawne Merriman (25)
OG Kris Dielman (48)

Indianapolis (4)

QB Peyton Manning (2)
WR Marvin Harrison (12)
DE Dwight Freeney (16)
WR Reggie Wayne (30)

New England (3)

QB Tom Brady (3)
DE Richard Seymour (21)
NT Vince Wilfork (45)

Cincinnati (3)

QB Carson Palmer (4)
WR Chad Johnson (11)
RB Rudi Johnson (40)

Seattle (3)

OT Walter Jones (27)
LB Julian Peterson (28)
RB Shaun Alexander (44)

Philadelphia (3)

QB Donovan McNabb (33)
OG Shawn Andrews (36)
RB Brian Westbrook (38)

Arizona (3)

WR Larry Fitzgerald (20)
WR Anquan Boldin (46)
S Adrian Wilson (50)

Kansas City (2)

RB Larry Johnson (5)
TE Tony Gonzalez (41)

St. Louis (2)

RB Steven Jackson (6)
WR Torry Holt (14)

Denver (2)

CB Champ Bailey (7)
WR Javon Walker (26)

Carolina (2)

DE Julius Peppers (8)
WR Steve Smith (15)

New Orleans (2)

QB Drew Brees (9)
OT Jammal Brown (35)

Chicago (2)

LB Brian Urlacher (17)
DT Tommie Harris (34)

Baltimore (2)

S Ed Reed (22)
OT Jonathan Ogden (43)

Minnesota (2)

DT Kevin Williams (23)
OG Steve Hutchinson (32)

Pittsburgh (2)

S Troy Polamalu (29)
NT Casey Hampton (31)

N.Y. Giants (2)

DE Mike Strahan (47)
TE Jeremy Shockey (49)

Miami (1)

DE Jason Taylor (10)

San Francisco (1)

RB Frank Gore (13)

Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Dallas (1)

CB Terence Newman (37)

Buffalo (1)

WR Lee Evans (39)

Cleveland (1)

TE Kellen Winslow (42)

Teams without Top 50 players: N.Y. Jets, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland, Washington, Green Bay, Detroit, Atlanta and Tampa Bay.

I'd love to hear your feedback. Of course, you need to buy the magazine to hear the reasoning for each pick, but I am sure you guys have your opinions on who got left out or shouldn't have made the list, or who needs to be higher/lower. Bring it.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
PFT is Packer Bashers.

Not profootball talk it is profootball weekly... and I know it doesn't mean much other than maybe the overall bench strength of the team.

Anything to talk about these days..

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
PFT is Packer Bashers.

Not profootball talk it is profootball weekly... and I know it doesn't mean much other than maybe the overall bench strength of the team.

Anything to talk about these days..

Well its my wrong. I get the names confused. :oops:

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Is Andre Johnson really that much better than Driver... especially when he's got receivers on his list after Andre Johnson (Lee Evans for one)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good....maybe this will be posted in the Packer locker room. It shows they get no respect. Maybe it will give them a little more incentive to show them how WRONG they are.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this PFW is Hub Arkish's" baby." Hub was "tied up" with the Bears ,when WGN was carrying the Bear games. and at same time Hub was publishing PFW. I never thought he was very objective about the Bears at that time. In other words, I felt he favored the Bears. I don't know how much Hub is involved with PFW any more.

I would imagine any top 50 players is based on what they did last year in NFL. It can change a lot one year to the next!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Kampman? And Greg Jennings isn't #1? PFW must have been secretly infiltrated by communists.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Is Andre Johnson really that much better than Driver... especially when he's got receivers on his list after Andre Johnson (Lee Evans for one)

WOW Driver can kick all their *****. Driver is one of the best in the league. This list IS ****.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ehh, Kampman is the only Packer that I think has any business on a top 50 list, actually.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Yeah. Andre is much more talented than Driver, hate to say it.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD will always be underrated. Where is Al Harris? He has dominated his position for years and dosent even get a honorable mention. What a bullsh!t list.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD will always be underrated. Where is Al Harris? He has dominated his position for years and dosent even get a honorable mention. What a bullsh!t list.
Fact is, most of these lists are more a "popularity contest" then a reality list.
Driver hasn't got the respect he is due for a long time. But he's not a self centered "me me me" guy, so he doesn't stand out.
Kampman is that way too. They don't go around praising themselves, and they don't get the spotlight like the "big city" teams do.
The ONLY way they will get respect is if the Packers do great as a team. Otherwise they will always be in the background.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Then I'll take the much less talented player who had almost twice as many touchdowns and 150 more yards.

And I think Cheesey pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one.

jhensiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good....maybe this will be posted in the Packer locker room. It shows they get no respect. Maybe it will give them a little more incentive to show them how WRONG they are.

Couldn't hurt

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
mi_keys said:
Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Then I'll take the much less talented player who had almost twice as many touchdowns and 150 more yards.

The difference being Brett Favre throwing to one, and David Carr throwing to the other.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that this means much, but have we really fallen that far that we don't have a single player in the top 50?

Top 50 (at Bottom of Blog)

PFW's Top 50 NFL players list: a breakdown
Any day now, you can read our 2007 season preview magazine, which has landed safely in our hot little hands here in the office and soon should be in yours. I think we made some nice changes to this year's mag and offer some very good features. The Kickoff section is a must-read, too.

One section that has not changed is the player ratings story, highlighted by the Top 50 players list. It always generates controversy and discussion around the league — and I must say I thought colleague Mike Wilkening did an extremely thorough (every time I write/hear/see this word, I think of Big Lebowski: "He's a good man ... and thorough") job of compiling this year's list, which is headed up by LaDainian Tomlinson at No. 1, natch.

Taking things a step further, Dan Arkush broke down the list, team by team, to show the breakdown. And now, I bring it to you:

San Diego (5)

RB LaDainian Tomlinson (1)
TE Antonio Gates (18)
NT Jamal Williams (24)
LB Shawne Merriman (25)
OG Kris Dielman (48)

Indianapolis (4)

QB Peyton Manning (2)
WR Marvin Harrison (12)
DE Dwight Freeney (16)
WR Reggie Wayne (30)

New England (3)

QB Tom Brady (3)
DE Richard Seymour (21)
NT Vince Wilfork (45)

Cincinnati (3)

QB Carson Palmer (4)
WR Chad Johnson (11)
RB Rudi Johnson (40)

Seattle (3)

OT Walter Jones (27)
LB Julian Peterson (28)
RB Shaun Alexander (44)

Philadelphia (3)

QB Donovan McNabb (33)
OG Shawn Andrews (36)
RB Brian Westbrook (38)

Arizona (3)

WR Larry Fitzgerald (20)
WR Anquan Boldin (46)
S Adrian Wilson (50)

Kansas City (2)

RB Larry Johnson (5)
TE Tony Gonzalez (41)

St. Louis (2)

RB Steven Jackson (6)
WR Torry Holt (14)

Denver (2)

CB Champ Bailey (7)
WR Javon Walker (26)

Carolina (2)

DE Julius Peppers (8)
WR Steve Smith (15)

New Orleans (2)

QB Drew Brees (9)
OT Jammal Brown (35)

Chicago (2)

LB Brian Urlacher (17)
DT Tommie Harris (34)

Baltimore (2)

S Ed Reed (22)
OT Jonathan Ogden (43)

Minnesota (2)

DT Kevin Williams (23)
OG Steve Hutchinson (32)

Pittsburgh (2)

S Troy Polamalu (29)
NT Casey Hampton (31)

N.Y. Giants (2)

DE Mike Strahan (47)
TE Jeremy Shockey (49)

Miami (1)

DE Jason Taylor (10)

San Francisco (1)

RB Frank Gore (13)

Houston (1)

WR Andre Johnson (19)

Dallas (1)

CB Terence Newman (37)

Buffalo (1)

WR Lee Evans (39)

Cleveland (1)

TE Kellen Winslow (42)

Teams without Top 50 players: N.Y. Jets, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland, Washington, Green Bay, Detroit, Atlanta and Tampa Bay.

I'd love to hear your feedback. Of course, you need to buy the magazine to hear the reasoning for each pick, but I am sure you guys have your opinions on who got left out or shouldn't have made the list, or who needs to be higher/lower. Bring it.

I'd rather have somebody like Donald Driver who you can count on for 1,000 yards every season unlike Lee Evans who had one great season last year

Frank Gore...one season wonder (so far), Jamaal Brown...two solid seasons, Kellen Winslow one good season after injuries/problems...Donovan McNabb should play a full season befor making any such list

Is it training camp yet?!

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
al harris is underrated because he doesnt have a lot of ints. opposing qbs dont throw towards him.

Members online

Latest posts