PFT.com followup

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Following up on yesterdays rumor mill.

POSTED 8:21 a.m. EST; UPDATED 8:34 a.m. EST, March 23, 2006

PACKERS SANDBAGGING ON LORD FAVRE RETURN

We reported on Wednesday that Packers quarterback Brett Favre has told the team that he'll play again in 2006, but that no public announcement has been made.

Our report caused a mini-commotion. ESPN.com ran a story attempting to debunk it. Adam Schefter of the NFL Network asked Favre's agent, Bus Cook, about it.

Said Cook: "That's news to me -- and I spoke to Brett an hour ago."

G.M. Ted Thompson declined to address the matter, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "It's not our policy to respond, confirm or non-confirm things on a Web site," Thompson said. "We'd spend all of our day doing that."

The Wisconsin State Journal writes that Thompson "laughed off" the report. "I don't comment on Internet reports," Thompson said Wednesday. "Especially Internet reports."

Of course, a good follow up question would have gone something like this: "But, Ted, this is a site that has broken major stories, just in the past month, including the Vikings' efforts to trade Daunte Culpepper, the retirement of the Commissioner, the Vince Young Wonderlic score, the financial details of the Edgerrin James contract, the offer sheet signed by Steve Hutchinson with the Vikings, and the existence of the 'poison pill' in that offer sheet. Still no comment?"

Then again, that question wasn't necessary. Thompson knows about us, and he knows that we're much more than just some sports site that simply scours the web for stories reported by others.

So why wouldn't Thompson respond?

Because, in our view, he knows the report is right on the money.

Though we're not sure whether the Packers are trying to keep guessing the other teams who are or who might be inclined to get in front of them on draft day or whether the Packers want to allow Favre to create the impression that he wasn't pushed into making a decision or whether the team wants the fans and the media to ultimately conclude that the organization did enough to improve the team in the offseason since the end result prompted Brett to come back, Thompson's reaction tells us everything we need to know.

Favre is coming back, and the team and the player are keeping it under wraps.

Here's the best circumstantial evidence that, in our view, supports the fact that something is happening. In Thursday's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Tom Silverstein writes that the trigger for Favre's roster bonus has again been bumped, this time from March 22 to April 1. In that same article, however, Silverstein writes that the roster bonus "is mostly artificial because under the terms of the contract Favre doesn't receive the money until September if he returns and doesn't receive it at all if he retires."

Mostly artificial? If Silverstein is right on that, the deadline for the bonus is completely artificial. All the team had to do was to exercise the roster bonus and then sit back and wait. If Favre retires, they don't pay it. If he plays, they pay.

So this whole roster bonus postponement thing is part of the smokescreen. Favre is coming back. He knows it. His agent knows it. The team knows it.

And everyone involved has decided, for whatever reason, to keep it under wraps.

Again speculation but these guys seem adament. If he is right there is no way they can keep it under wraps until the draft!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now this makes sense. I would not like to play poker with TT. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the FA's they've looked at had their meetings with the brass. You know the prospective FA had to have asked if Favre is coming back? Do they flat out tell the FA they don't know or do they spill the beans and have the FA sign a confidentiality agreement?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's with this "LORD FAVRE" crap....

(the guy who wrote this must be an a**hole....!)

tabojc03

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the article is true then I would presume they are using the smoke screen in case one of the qbs slide to them for a possible trade....it would be a good idea, since if Favre comes back there is no way the Packers draft another qb....

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tabojc03 said:
If the article is true then I would presume they are using the smoke screen in case one of the qbs slide to them for a possible trade....it would be a good idea, since if Favre comes back there is no way the Packers draft another qb....

Yea, but do you think they can carry this out until April 29th. Troms head will explode :lol:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy it. They needed a story. Posted it on the website and are now trying to talk there way out of it..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
P@ck66 said:

[quote="P@ck66":3r40f3dj](Do not DARE to contradict Lord TT you swine....He is above your puny analysis...)

Irony at it's best.[/quote:3r40f3dj]

LMAODMADL...I just pee'd a little.

But yeah, I dont buy that 'report' at all. They sound like a bunch of whiny 14 year olds who are mad everyone is bashing them(and rightfully so)

however, if it IS true, and TT and Favre are doing this mastermind angle, then my admiration for Favre and TT will have doubled.

I agree, I would not want to play poker with TT.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

PFT.com makes nicknames up for everyone... Nick Saban aka "The Nicktator", Mike Tice aka "Meathead", Kellen Winslow aka "Eval Kellneival", etc. I think the "Lord Favre" reference was made in response to Favre saying he was going to wait until the end of the FA and Draft before announcing his decision on retirement (in other words, telling TT to sign som good players). They aren't just picking on Favre, so there is no need to get your ******* in a bunch over it.

Tromadz said:
But yeah, I dont buy that 'report' at all. They sound like a bunch of whiny 14 year olds who are mad everyone is bashing them(and rightfully so)

PFT.com has been accurate on approximately 60-70% of the rumours they write about. In the last while they have been on the money on such stories as the Commishioner retiring, the Queens and Culpepper parting ways, the Vince Young Wonderlic score, and details of the offers put toward various FAs. However, they have been wrong about a few as well, for example Charlie Weis returning to the NFL for a HC gig this season.

Take it for what it is worth, but I have a strong feeling they are bang on the money with this one. In a lot of ways it confirms what I have been thinking all along, and given light of what has officially come from Favre and GB it makes a lot of sense.

Just my $0.02.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C, Hedley

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get their reasoning on the roster bonus thing. It seems possible to me that if Favre is on the roster at a certain date in March, he will receive the bonus, whether or not he decides to play next season, but the bonus would be paid to him in September due to some sort of salary cap reason or other financial technicality.

I will say, however, that with every day that goes by it seems a bit more likely that Favre will return. I wonder if Favre is waiting until he has to start working out a little more, so he can find out what his body is telling him and whether he really feels it is worth all of the effort required to get ready for the season.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, apparently Craig Nall said on Monday that:

"I talked to Brett this morning -- I've talked to him probably four or five times since the season ended -- and he has no idea what he wants to do.

"I was joking with him and said, 'Why don't you just announce you're coming back? I know you want to play.' And he said, 'I wish it was that easy.' So my signing with Buffalo is no indication of what Brett's going to do -- because I don't know."

LINK --> http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... 245:SPORTS

If Nall's comments are posted in another thread, my apologies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts