Reaction score
Well here's second week of pre-season:

Best Offense:

1. OT Zach Tom: 84.5
2. QB Jordan Love: 82.6
3. TE Sal Cannella: 82.6
4. TE Nate Becker: 80.6
5. QB Danny Etling: 78.6

*The most notable about this to me is the continued ascension of play from Cannella and Becker showing up his first week here with not just a solid 70+ grade but a 80+ grade. Becker was a lights out blocker in this preseason game. Tom allowed zero pressures across 40 snaps. Etling's is boosted quite a bit with the outlier 51 yard TD run, but still Love had a very efficient and productive game and it was illustrated by the grading this week.

Best Defense:

1. OLB Ladarius Hamitlon: 87.5
2. S Micah Abernathy: 82.9
3. CB Kiondre Thomas: 82.5
4. S De’Vante Cross: 74.7
5. LB Quay Walker: 71.5

*The depth behind our top two Safeties has been a question mark...and new comer Abernathy looked lights out in this one. Everyone will go to his splash play of the incredible interception while falling along the sideline, but two things of note for me first in coverage the guy seemed to constantly be in position and that tackle for loss play was incredible instincts. Was he lucky or was that normal for him...depending on the answer might be the difference between him forcing his way on to the roster (PS possibly) or not.

Worst Offense:

1. TE Tyler Davis: 25.2
2. TE Alize Mack: 39.9
3. G Sean Rhyan: 42.2
4. WR Samori Toure: 44.6
5. RB Dexter Williams: 46.5

*Tyler Davis experiment is nearing its end IMO. Some guys just fold when the lights come on, regardless of how much they showcase otherwise. Rhyan had terrible pass blocking day, defenders caught him leaning constantly it seemed and it showed far more than anyone probably expected.

Worst Defense:

1. DL Jonathan Ford: 26.8
2. DL Devonte Wyatt: 29.7
3. LB Ray Wilborn: 46.2
4. LB Ty Summers: 46.8
5. OLB Tipa Galeai: 49.3

*Tipa is not doing him any favors to make the 53 after many expected him too - he is making pressures when allowed to rush but is lost in coverage and worthless against the run....and Summers days after we cut Brooks and not him goes out and looks lost. Wyatt crumbled in his first taste of the NFL...his 26 snaps were essentially non-existent from him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honorable mention to McDuffie as he barely missed the top 5 on defense and continues to put together a solid TC and second PS game. In the first half, McDuffie was seen stopping two third downs for the Saints - bringing down Book once and then also Olave another time to force a FG.

However, the play that was just "HEADSY" that I noticed was when he read he could not get to the ball carrier due to a lead OL blocker down field and decided to "bull rush" the blocker and in essence turn the blocker into a tackling tool to throw at the runner. Some will glance over that play, however these are the small things which add up in a game and honestly that play had an additional ten/twenty or more yards on it had he just tried to run around the blocker while trying to time line the runner.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst Defense:

1. DL Jonathan Ford: 26.8
2. DL Devonte Wyatt: 29.7
I did not see Wyatt much during the game. But one play that stands out was when he was completely engulfed by two O Linemen. I wonder if that is a negative play for him. There was absolutely nothing he could have done about it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not see Wyatt much during the game. But one play that stands out was when he was completely engulfed by two O Linemen. I wonder if that is a negative play for him. There was absolutely nothing he could have done about it.

Swallowing doubles doesn't necessitate a bad grade for a play, it actually can work to the benefit in their grading and even boost if they manage to hold ground or move the double of course (even if no play made directly). Kenny Clark at times has had PFF note some of his high score was doe to his handling of doubles.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Well here's second week of pre-season:

Best Offense:

1. OT Zach Tom: 84.5
Tom is making the team and may well start. The Packers have always done a great job of later round picks at the offensive line. Look for Tom to be one of the latest in a long list.
3. TE Sal Cannella: 82.6
4. TE Nate Becker: 80.6
*The most notable about this to me is the continued ascension of play from Cannella and Becker showing up his first week here with not just a solid 70+ grade but a 80+ grade. Becker was a lights out blocker in this preseason game. Tom allowed zero pressures across 40 snaps. Etling's is boosted quite a bit with the outlier 51 yard TD run, but still Love had a very efficient and productive game and it was illustrated by the grading this week.
I've been ******* our TE situation. Interesting to see these guys in the 80s. Maybe I'm wrong?
*The depth behind our top two Safeties has been a question mark...and new comer Abernathy looked lights out in this one. Everyone will go to his splash play of the incredible interception while falling along the sideline, but two things of note for me first in coverage the guy seemed to constantly be in position and that tackle for loss play was incredible instincts. Was he lucky or was that normal for him...depending on the answer might be the difference between him forcing his way on to the roster (PS possibly) or not.
Agreed on Abernathy.
Worst Offense:

1. TE Tyler Davis: 25.2
2. TE Alize Mack: 39.9
3. G Sean Rhyan: 42.2
4. WR Samori Toure: 44.6
5. RB Dexter Williams: 46.5
The only surprise to me is Toure. I'm kind of rooting for him, but I think he ends up on the practice squad.
Worst Defense:

4. LB Ty Summers: 46.8
Summers days after we cut Brooks and not him goes out and looks lost.
I'm really surprised Summers is still there. He's undersized and has shown what he has. He does contribute on special teams. I just don't see it though. I don't think he makes this squad.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really surprised Summers is still there. He's undersized and has shown what he has. He does contribute on special teams. I just don't see it though. I don't think he makes this squad.
Have not watched him much this year but at least he hasn't made horrendous plays like he has in past preseason games. But I think we look pretty good at inside linebacker w/o him and just don't think it can be justified to keep him for special teams.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been ******* our TE situation. Interesting to see these guys in the 80s. Maybe I'm wrong?

To be apprehensive about the TE room is a fair thing to have, but it isn't from a what might be thing but a what will we be thing...I mean shoot we are banking clearly on the fact that Tonyan will be able to be the receiving threat prior to his injury...that's a big assumption.

Now yes, Sal is a proven receiving TE, did it in college when asked and did it well in USFL ( I know but still)...the BIG takeaway from his Saints game is how well he graded blocking wise. He actually run blocking did as well as Nijman and Newman did in the Saints game...if he can refine and become at minimum not a blocking liability he has serious potential.....if you think back to Tonyan long time ago it was a similar vein of thought on him too.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So Summers has surprisingly a lot of snaps to his name which that deep of depth in any room to still have that amount of experience is a good thing for your #5 or #6...BUT McDuffie has been grossly outplaying him and honestly that puts 4 clear top dogs in the room performing...so Summers if he sticks will be solely ST reasons IMO.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom is making the team and may well start. The Packers have always done a great job of later round picks at the offensive line. Look for Tom to be one of the latest in a long list.

Agreed on Abernathy.

The only surprise to me is Toure. I'm kind of rooting for him, but I think he ends up on the practice squad.

They'd have to keep at least five ILB for Summers to have a shot, IMHO. Campbell, Walker, Barnes & McDuffie are all well ahead of him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Summers making the team. He's shown what he has at LB'er and it's not enough for the NFL. ST's? He doesn't seem to be such a stand out there either, though you'd think a guy with his build and speed would show up a lot on coverage teams at least. I always hear he's one of our better STeamers, but then we've sucked at historic levels so it's not a high bar.

Saying Davis is not making it is just stating the obvious. 2 very poor games back to back.

Toure was up and then down the last game. He's young, it's expected. I'd like to see some consistency because I thought he was doing well up to last weeks game. He has to show more though or PS is the best he's going to get this year for us.

Abernathy looks like he certainly can flow fast to a football. In very limited opportunities he certainly jumped out to me. Hope he can maintain that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Link is to a paywall.

Meanwhile, here's another piece on Wyatt:

Packers: Is Devonte Wyatt’s relatively quiet start to the season a cause for concern?

Reaction score
Good information, it really helps to dispel or reinforce some of our initial opinions on players. Especially when we see a pattern like Zach Tom being consistently solid.

I was most surprised looking at Wilborn, that guy is always around the ball. Also McDuffie for me is a top 5 most improved from his Rookie year.

Kiondre Thomas. He looks like he’s a 3rd year Day 3 selection to me. He’s physical and instinctive and fast and has good, sound technique imo.
I don’t know yet if he just looks good because it’s 2’s-3’s he’s playing, but he really stood out to me. If he continues to impress this week, I’d stash him on PS.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't open. Can you just give a brief explanation on why they say he is struggling?

Devonte Wyatt has been a non-factor so far this preseason​

In one preseason game -- Wyatt was held out of the preseason opener because of a possible concussion -- he hasn’t shown any of that. Maybe he’s getting worn down from camp coming off two hard practices against the Saints in which he had a lot of snaps. Maybe he has a lot to learn about taking care of his body like a pro.
Regardless, there’s no getting around that his 26-snap performance in preseason Week 2 Friday night against the Saints was a dud. He was credited with two tackles (one assisted, the other unassisted), but he didn’t make a play and was a non-factor.
Wyatt’s first-step quickness is supposed to be his greatest asset, but that didn’t show up Friday night. He was consistently a half-tick behind Slaton and Heflin coming off the ball and didn’t show the explosion he did in college at Georgia...

...Players come along at different rates, and you never know when things might click. Sometimes it happens fast, sometimes it’s gradual, and sometimes it doesn’t happen at all.

Reaction score
I think these young guys need to string a series of games together and 35% snaps for a first look isn’t enough. Even Rodgers looked stale starting last season and he’s what an 18 year veteran?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these young guys need to string a series of games together and 35% snaps for a first look isn’t enough. Even Rodgers looked stale starting last season and he’s what an 18 year veteran?

It's a long season. LeFleur seems to win 13 games every year, so I won't be overly concerned if the Pack are "stale" in week one. I'd rather have our vets exposed to the least amount of hits s possible, and hopefully a healthier squad at the end of the year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about Wyatt because of his age. Yes, it's normal for a young DT to take some time to mature and get used to the physicality of the NFL but Wyatt is a 24 year old rookie. He needs to be farther along the learning curve than the 21 or 22 year old guys and he really doesn't seem to be. His "upside" isn't going to be where a younger player's is but you draft him with the thought he'll impact the team sooner than a younger player and that doesn't seem to be happening.

Reaction score
It's a long season. LeFleur seems to win 13 games every year, so I won't be overly concerned if the Pack are "stale" in week one. I'd rather have our vets exposed to the least amount of hits s possible, and hopefully a healthier squad at the end of the year.
While I agree. You responded to my post about young players though. I was just offering that we should give young players time. Critiquing Wyatt on 26 snaps is bordering on preposterous was my general point.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree. You responded to my post about young players though. I was just offering that we should give young players time. Critiquing Wyatt on 26 snaps is bordering on preposterous was my general point.

How many snaps does he need in order to be evaluated?

D

Deleted member 6794

If it's true that Wyatt is getting worn down from camp playing him more snaps against the Saints wouldn't have helped either.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about Wyatt because of his age. Yes, it's normal for a young DT to take some time to mature and get used to the physicality of the NFL but Wyatt is a 24 year old rookie. He needs to be farther along the learning curve than the 21 or 22 year old guys and he really doesn't seem to be. His "upside" isn't going to be where a younger player's is but you draft him with the thought he'll impact the team sooner than a younger player and that doesn't seem to be happening.
He will take steps throughout the season. I'm not worried about one preseason game.

Members online

Latest posts