PFDL 2016 Off-Season Thoughts

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Anything you all want to see changed or voted on with the PFDL?

I will be restacking the divisions by evening them out. I find the starting lineups to be fine, though I am ALWAYS in favor on voting for more bench spots.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would 4-5 player taxi squad be an option? When final roster reduction is done after NFL rosters are set, put players on it for the season. Something like IR is done except they cannot be activated without being cut and exposed to waivers first until after the superbowl. It's a roster expansion with a few places to stash guys like Backmun, Hundley, or any other long shot player that most likely will not play this season. Players cannot be put on it unless fully healthy so it is not an IR slot for guys injured in preseason.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Would 4-5 player taxi squad be an option? When final roster reduction is done after NFL rosters are set, put players on it for the season. Something like IR is done except they cannot be activated without being cut and exposed to waivers first until after the superbowl. It's a roster expansion with a few places to stash guys like Backmun, Hundley, or any other long shot player that most likely will not play this season. Players cannot be put on it unless fully healthy so it is not an IR slot for guys injured in preseason.
Wouldn't a taxi squad essentially be more bench spots?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't a taxi squad essentially be more bench spots?

It's basically the fantasy equivalent of a practice squad. IMO, if it is accepted in I'd rather see it be that you can put like 1st and 2nd year players on it that you've never played before. You can promote them to your full roster at any time but once they're promoted they cannot be placed back on the Taxi Squad. Also, other teams still have a shot at players on your Taxi, they just have to offer you compensation for the player they want - then you as the owner have the choice of accepting the deal and letting the player go or declining and then MUST promote the player to their full roster immediately.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
It's basically the fantasy equivalent of a practice squad. IMO, if it is accepted in I'd rather see it be that you can put like 1st and 2nd year players on it that you've never played before. You can promote them to your full roster at any time but once they're promoted they cannot be placed back on the Taxi Squad. Also, other teams still have a shot at players on your Taxi, they just have to offer you compensation for the player they want - then you as the owner have the choice of accepting the deal and letting the player go or declining and then MUST promote the player to their full roster immediately.
Sounds complicated. I will look into it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sold on others dictating my roster moves. Maybe a minimum trade offer of say a top 150 skill player or 5th round pick to implement the option. Otherwise I can agree with the rest.
btw:Would you trade Peyton Manning for Brett Hundley today knowing you have to clear a roster spot either way?

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sold on others dictating my roster moves. Maybe a minimum trade offer of say a top 150 skill player or 5th round pick to implement the option. Otherwise I can agree with the rest.
btw:Would you trade Peyton Manning for Brett Hundley today knowing you have to clear a roster spot either way?
I think it would simply be easier just adding regular bench spots.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Did we vote on the extra spots after the draft with a reduction after the cuts to 53? One to make it permanent and official?

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Did we vote on the extra spots after the draft with a reduction after the cuts to 53? One to make it permanent and official?
Every year I give 5 temp spots through the off-season. Last year we voted on bench spots and IR spots. We added IR and a new RB/WR/TE.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would simply be easier just adding regular bench spots.

Yes, it would be easier. But were getting into the territory of needing to add IDP's to warrant such large rosters even for a Dynasty Keeper league. A Taxi Squad has also become staple of standard Dynasty leagues.

The rules of it though is pretty diverse. Just the presence of the squad is what's become a staple.

Last edited:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree that the compensation would have to be reasonable to trigger the "you gotta promote em"

I'm not really fond of Peyton "I purportedly took some HGH sent to my wife" Manning as a fantasy player since his first year back. I'd have little gumption at letting him go even for a pittance. Let someone else deal with that headache.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also like to throw out there the idea of limiting the Team Defence and Kicker slots to a min of 1 and a max of 2.

You really don't need more on your roster and, imo, more than that is really a waste of a roster spot. (I know, I know, I currently have 3 TM D)

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also be cool with the idea of reducing the roster size parallel to whatever size of a Taxi Squad is implemented, if it is implemented.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I very much like the temp addition to simulate the offseason expanded rosters and final preseason cuts.
We have had temp spots every off-season.
I'd also like to throw out there the idea of limiting the Team Defence and Kicker slots to a min of 1 and a max of 2.

You really don't need more on your roster and, imo, more than that is really a waste of a roster spot. (I know, I know, I currently have 3 TM D)
I can't support this. If someone wants to fill their roster with kickers and D's then that is on them. I can't dictate how people run their teams.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have had temp spots every off-season.

Yeah, I was just saying I don't want to make those slots permanent though the seasons like Poppa was suggesting. I prefer them being only temp.

I can't dictate how people run their teams.

You can to a reasonable degree actually. That's why things like: undroppable lists, and being able to set the min/max for individual positions are options the commissioner has control over.

I just want a less anemic Free Agency. And I don't think stacking your team with D's and K's as a way of denying other owners is something that should be allowed. You can only play one each. No reason to have 4 or 5 on your team. Look at it this way maybe: this is a 10 team league, there are 32 teams which means 32 D's; if there is a limit of 2 per team that would leave 12 D's in FA, there are currently 5 available in FA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just saying I don't want to make those slots permanent though the seasons like Poppa was suggesting. I prefer them being only temp.

You can to a reasonable degree actually. That's why things like: undroppable lists, and being able to set the min/max for individual positions are options the commissioner has control over.

I just want a less anemic Free Agency. And I don't think stacking your team with D's and K's as a way of denying other owners is something that should be allowed. You can only play one each. No reason to have 4 or 5 on your team. Look at it this way maybe: this is a 10 team league, there are 32 teams which means 32 D's; if there is a limit of 2 per team that would leave 12 D's in FA, there are currently 5 available in FA.
Replace everything you said about D's and replace that with QB's and tell me what the difference is with fantasy football. Should we limit everyone's QB's too?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Replace everything you said about D's and replace that with QB's and tell me what the difference is with fantasy football. Should we limit everyone's QB's too?

But we're not talking about QB's. Nevermind that a QB is a single player whereas D's are entities that represent 22 or so individual players. You're not gonna have to put a D on IR. Really it's an apples to oranges comparison.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
But we're not talking about QB's. Nevermind that a QB is a single player whereas D's are entities that represent 22 or so individual players. You're not gonna have to put a D on IR. Really it's an apples to oranges comparison.
I recognize your complaints, but if you want a certain D then you will need to trade for it. Just like if you wanted any other player. Dynasty is supposed to be the fan's version of running a franchise. In the real NFL the waiver is super thin. In our dynasty league the waiver is super thin. You need to trade, draft, or hope someone gets cut.

Members online

Latest posts