Peter King's take on all of this

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats a very good article. I would not want to be Ted Thompson right now. I trust that he will do whats best for the Packers. I have doubted him plenty in the past and he has always proved me wrong.

Devil_Doc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What amazes me is how the media has now put this as a TT vs Favre situation, with MM in the middle, going, who's side do I take?

Half the time I want Favre to come back...the other half I want him to stay retired.

I just think the negatives of this decision to come back outweigh the positives.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the media is turning this into TT Vs. Brett, I think that's exactly what it is. They just don't like each other.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King is the one guy I trust with all things football. His articles are well thought out; measured in tone; and very accurate over a long period of time.

If this article is accurate, I am sad....for Brett Favre, and moreso the Packers.

Favre is clearly struggling with the notion of life beyond football, and I pray he does not become one of those unfortunate stories of athletes who fall apart once the only thing they have known and loved (employment-wise) is gone. Either that or he is a man in need of massive amounts of attention and ego stroking...a quality I generally detest.

That said, what he is doing to this team is abominable. The annual retirement watch, and the juggling the team did to accomodate his desire to have time to decide, was acceptable. But now, he is driving a stake in the heart of a franchise and fanbase that has been very good to him, as he has been to them and us.

A decision was made, and the team, based on that decision, has rightfully moved forward to life after-Brett. And now he pulls this ****...not only that, but having his family and agent do the work that he apparently will not do...voice his desire to return to the team/league.

So, before some of you climb down my throat and say "Brett is owed our (team's/fans') undying allegiance", I would like to remind you that this team pulled him from the scrap heap; developed his talents; stood by through thick and thin; adored him and made him a multi-millionaire.

The street goes both ways and, unfortunately, Brett clearly does not realize, or worse yet does realize but just does not care, about the horrific situation he is/has created.

Sad...for all parties involved.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the media is turning this into TT Vs. Brett, I think that's exactly what it is. They just don't like each other.
Thats what i think. And i think it all came about because TT didn't sign Moss.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King is the one guy I trust with all things football. His articles are well thought out; measured in tone; and very accurate over a long period of time.

If this article is accurate, I am sad....for Brett Favre, and moreso the Packers.

Favre is clearly struggling with the notion of life beyond football, and I pray he does not become one of those unfortunate stories of athletes who fall apart once the only thing they have known and loved (employment-wise) is gone. Either that or he is a man in need of massive amounts of attention and ego stroking...a quality I generally detest.

That said, what he is doing to this team is abominable. The annual retirement watch, and the juggling the team did to accomodate his desire to have time to decide, was acceptable. But now, he is driving a stake in the heart of a franchise and fanbase that has been very good to him, as he has been to them and us.

A decision was made, and the team, based on that decision, has rightfully moved forward to life after-Brett. And now he pulls this ****...not only that, but having his family and agent do the work that he apparently will not do...voice his desire to return to the team/league.

So, before some of you climb down my throat and say "Brett is owed our (team's/fans') undying allegiance", I would like to remind you that this team pulled him from the scrap heap; developed his talents; stood by through thick and thin; adored him and made him a multi-millionaire.

The street goes both ways and, unfortunately, Brett clearly does not realize, or worse yet does realize but just does not care, about the horrific situation he is/has created.

The guy said he has an ITCH to play football and that is his right. Because he wants to play again, he is tarnishing his legacy? When it comes time for you to retire, maybe you can let other people tell you how you feel. Hell, let them tell you when to do it.

Brett wants to play football, If GB doesn't want him that's up to management to handle. It's not Brett's fault for stating he has an itch.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

The guy said he has an ITCH to play football and that is his right. Because he wants to play again, he is tarnishing his legacy?

Maybe he is.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He shouldn't have quit in the first place then.
Like i have stated before....you can choose to change your mind, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to change their minds with you. They don't have to re do all their work to fit what you now want to do.
Of course it's all up to the Packer MGMT what they decide to do in the end.
To me, Favre should have not retired, and came to camp. Had he then decided to quit, it would'nt have been as bad as it all is now.
He set in motion the Packers draft and plays set up for Rodger's strengths. Now all that would have to be changed back to allow him to come back. Some things of course can't be changed now, like the draft, or how it will affect A-Rods desire to sit for who knows how many more years.
Can it be done? Yeah.....it can. But will it? Who knows.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like i have stated before....you can choose to change your mind, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to change their minds with you.

Wow. Well said, Cheesey. When did you become so well spoken? I like that. "that doesn't mean everyone else has to change their minds with you." Beautiful.

The team moved on. Why did they move on? Because their starting QB retired. Time doesn't stand still.

(all of a sudden we're both poets)

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well put Digs.

The problem for TT and MM is that if this situation really does exist (has any one confirmed that Brett really wants to play? All I'm hearing is third party info), Brett created it.

I am glad I'm not in TT or MM's shoes. If he does want back, this is a tough decision. I would expect that their hands will be forced and they'll have to let him.

Handling a legend in progress is never easy. Tennis player and golfers have it easier, they just play until they can't through the seniors leagues and it's all on themselves.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is more than an itch...if the article is accurate. Brett is using his unprecedented popularity to leverage (force) the team to do something that will have negative ripples throughout the organization, and its fanbase, for quite some time.

Should it come to fruition, there will be one winner in Favre, and a massive loser in the Packers organization and its fans.

Why have his family do his bidding? Why the conversations with MM and TT? Why Bus Cook hamering the phones?

This is more than an itch, again, if the article is accurate. This is a full court press to rectify his own mistake, at the full expense of the team.

I see your point, I simply do not agree with it. And really, do not pretend to know me or my career...and how I will leave it when it is over. It is not relevant to this story. But if you must know, if I walk away and my spot is filled, I would not expect it back. And unlike sports, nobody owns my rights that I can put in a bind by backtracking on my retirement plans. Sports is kinda unique in that way.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is more than an itch...if the article is accurate. Brett is using his unprecedented popularity to leverage (force) the team to do something that will have negative ripples throughout the organization, and its fanbase, for quite some time.

Should it come to fruition, there will be one winner in Favre, and a massive loser in the Packers organization and its fans.

Why have his family do his bidding? Why the conversations with MM and TT? Why Bus Cook hamering the phones?

This is more than an itch, again, if the article is accurate. This is a full court press to rectify his own mistake, at the full expense of the team.

I see your point, I simply do not agree with it. And really, do not pretend to know me or my career...and how I will leave it when it is over. It is not relevant to this story. But if you must know, if I walk away and my spot is filled, I would not expect it back. And unlike sports, nobody owns my rights that I can put in a bind by backtracking on my retirement plans. Sports is kinda unique in that way.

So be it, I guess I see it differently.

Brett's tarnishing a legacy I don't think he much cares about. Furthermore, To who is his legacy tarnished? A couple rogue Packer fans and some nobody Dave Myers from some little newspaper?

Who cares? Not Brett

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Like i have stated before....you can choose to change your mind, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to change their minds with you.

Wow. Well said, Cheesey. When did you become so well spoken? I like that. "that doesn't mean everyone else has to change their minds with you." Beautiful.

The team moved on. Why did they move on? Because their starting QB retired. Time doesn't stand still.

(all of a sudden we're both poets)
Surprised you, hey Trom? :wink: :lol:
Most people don't know i'm not always just funny. Cheesey has a VERY serious side.
I have an IQ of about 125, so I'm not as dumb as most probably think! I know i sometimes don't help myself with my "cheesey" jokes, but i like to have fun and make people laugh.
Favre set in motion an avalanche with his retirement, now he wants the snow to stop halfway down the mountain. He has put the Packer brass in an almost no win situation. And he HAD to know that if he went around his family and friends complaining about how he didn't feel "loved", that some of them would tell the press.
Now this storm is getting worse, and i myself don't see an easy answer.
I love Favre and didn't want him to retire.
Now i'm torn on what to think. I love Favre, but love the Packers more. I loved them before Favre came here, and will continue to love them. Alot of people became "Packer fans" because of Favre, and in their eyes he can do no wrong. They will probably jump ship now that he is no longer here (or is he?)
I would welcome and cheer for Brett if he is here, just as i have since he came here. But it's not up to me if he's here or not. I'm JUST a fan.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

So be it, I guess I see it differently.

Brett's tarnishing a legacy I don't think he much cares about. Furthermore, To who is his legacy tarnished? A couple rogue Packer fans and some nobody Dave Myers from some little newspaper?

Who cares? Not Brett

are you serious??? Favre doesn't care about his legacy??? really. that just shows how delusional you really are.

and more than a couple rogue Packer fans will see this legacy tarnished. the only people who wont see it will be the "couple rogue Favre-Firsters"

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team moved on. So what? Players are still more important than coaches and their off-season scheming, and Favre is better than Rodgers right now.

Brett's retirement didn't impact our draft. TT drafts BPA, remember?

If Brett wants to play, the Packers will be fine. He's our best option this year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Brett's retirement didn't impact our draft. TT drafts BPA, remember?

We would have drafted 2 QBs if Favre stayed? We would have had Favre, Rodgers, Brohm, and Flynn? Really? You believe this?

Cmon guys...

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf drafted two QBs several times. At most you'd lose Flynn.

Brohm was a pure TT value pick. Flynn was a late rounder who could've been drafted for the practice squad anyway.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Flynn was a late rounder who could've been drafted for the practice squad anyway.

Yeah and Thompson's late picks are never important or pan out to be key in the scheme of things...

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that.

Flynn can still be on the practice squad. Even if Favre doesn't return Flynn is no guarantee to be on the regular squad.

Last time we were on the cusp of the Super Bowl, Ron Wolf traded a second round pick to get an old Keith Jackson (who told us he didn't want to play here, and "retired" for half a season before showing up!) for a season and a half, just to push for the Super Bowl. Favre is a hell of a lot more valuable than Jackson, so I'm not going to lose sleep about picking up an extra QB in the 7th round who isn't going to do anything on the field this year anyway. Stick him on the PS and develop him. If a season of Keith Jackson was worth a 2nd, a season of Favre is surely worth a non-optimal 7th rounder.

Randy Nelson (typo: Jordy Nelson) --- Picked because BPA according to TT

Brohm --- Picked for value, he dropped below our ranking of him

Everyone praises our Executive of the Year for his great BPA strategy, but once Favre comes into the picture then Thompson is making picks based on need? Not to any degree worth worrying about.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
I never said that.

Flynn can still be on the practice squad. Even if Favre doesn't return Flynn is no guarantee to be on the regular squad.

Last time we were on the cusp of the Super Bowl, Ron Wolf traded a second round pick to get an old Keith Jackson (who didn't want to play here!) for a season and a half, just to push for the Super Bowl. Favre is a hell of a lot more valuable than Jackson, so I'm not going to lose sleep about picking up an extra QB in the 7th round who isn't going to do anything on the field this year anyway. Stick him on the PS and develop him. If a season of Keith Jackson was worth a 2nd, a season of Favre is surely worth a non-optimal 7th rounder.

Randy Nelson --- Picked because BPA according to TT
Brohm --- Picked for value, he dropped below our ranking of him

Everyone praises our Executive of the Year for his great BPA strategy, but once Favre comes into the picture then Thompson is making picks based on need? Not to any degree worth worrying about.

first of all... who the hell is Randy Nelson.

secondly. ah screw it.... if you can't get our first pick of the draft right... its not worth my time.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a win now league. Favre gives us the best option to win now. How does this hurt the team? how does giving rodgers another year to prepare hurt his progress? we are going to lose 3+ games in rodgers first year due to his inexperience alone. lets put that off as long as we can. we're not talking about kurt warner or vinny testaverde here. were talking about a hall of famer who had one of his best seasons last year who got us to within one pass of the superbowl and who was an mvp candidate. Not to mention, he is a hero to many.

Yes, he changes his mind too often. Like me, he's a libra, what do you expect. They are the most indecisive people out there. The most dissapointing thing about him retiring in March was that there was no farewell tour like most of the other greats had. He needs a farewell tour and then it is finished and A-Rod can take over.

Its really ridiculous to see some people on here act like Favre is doing unspeakable damage to the franchise by coming back. It does not effect our salary cap at all. We're way under the cap and do not need the money this year any way, probably not next either. Also, what better way to spend our cap money than on a HOF QB who knows our offense?

Everyone is so concerned about A-Rod's feelings. Who cares. What has he earned? What does he deserve? Other than telling his "fans" to "shut up and get on board"(which favre has never done), what had A-Rod done? He hasnt played a full game without getting injured or winning a game. Yes, he played well vs a Cowboys team that was killing the packers and had set themselves on cruise control, had not gameplanned for A-Rod or expected to see him. This performance is a huge reason people are so willing to put Favre out to pasture and move one with A-Rod. You people are dreaming. 90% chance A-rod will lead us to a 6-10 or 7-9 season at best and will struggle mightily as all first year qb's do.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first of all... who the hell is Randy Nelson.

That was a malapropism, sorry. I combined Jordy Nelson's name with our old receiver, Randy Jordan.

secondly. ah screw it.... if you can't get our first pick of the draft right... its not worth my time.

That is a really dramatic response to a typo.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
This is a win now league. Favre gives us the best option to win now. How does this hurt the team? how does giving rodgers another year to prepare hurt his progress? we are going to lose 3+ games in rodgers first year due to his inexperience alone. lets put that off as long as we can. we're not talking about kurt warner or vinny testaverde here. were talking about a hall of famer who had one of his best seasons last year who got us to within one pass of the superbowl and who was an mvp candidate. Not to mention, he is a hero to many.

Yes, he changes his mind too often. Like me, he's a libra, what do you expect. They are the most indecisive people out there. The most dissapointing thing about him retiring in March was that there was no farewell tour like most of the other greats had. He needs a farewell tour and then it is finished and A-Rod can take over.

Its really ridiculous to see some people on here act like Favre is doing unspeakable damage to the franchise by coming back. It does not effect our salary cap at all. We're way under the cap and do not need the money this year any way, probably not next either. Also, what better way to spend our cap money than on a HOF QB who knows our offense?

Everyone is so concerned about A-Rod's feelings. Who cares. What has he earned? What does he deserve? Other than telling his "fans" to "shut up and get on board"(which favre has never done), what had A-Rod done? He hasnt played a full game without getting injured or winning a game. Yes, he played well vs a Cowboys team that was killing the packers and had set themselves on cruise control, had not gameplanned for A-Rod or expected to see him. This performance is a huge reason people are so willing to put Favre out to pasture and move one with A-Rod. You people are dreaming. 90% chance A-rod will lead us to a 6-10 or 7-9 season at best and will struggle mightily as all first year qb's do.

i love the "get on board now, or keep your mouth shut" quote.

its like radar for Favre-Firsters.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts