Peter King: Pack should get Tony Gonzalez

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting comment from Peter King in Sports Illustrated yesterday:

I think, speaking of Green Bay's tight-end shortcomings, I've got a marriage made in free-agency heaven: The Packers, with Brett Favre coming back for one more year (if he does) and with $28.4 million to spend under the salary cap, Green Bay should make its number one priority in the off-season convincing Tony Gonzalez to come north as the highest-paid tight end in NFL history. Here's why: The Green Bay tight ends have killed the Pack offense all season, and Gonzalez is the most productive available tight end in recent history. Don't worry about his age (30); he's missed two games due to injury in 10 NFL seasons. Don't worry about declining production; at 27, 28, 29 and now at 30, he's had at least 70 catches and at least 850 yards receiving in each season. I realize this is not GM Ted Thompson's way, spending big on free-agents. But this should be his exception. He should look at Packer history, and see what a big signing Reggie White was in 1993 by Ron Wolf. Gonzalez isn't the same kind of "statement'' signing, but his impact on the team could be as big in 2007 as White's was around that time.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a scenario for next year --

Brett comes back for a final year, Batman is healthy, DD healthy, Jennings healthy, KRob comes back from suspension...

and we have a TE that can actually catch the ball

SuperBowl here we come!!!!

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be huge for the Pack and if TT got it done it would defenatly convince Brett to return next season. Tony G is a huge target and a great blocker. I would love to see the two TE set back with Tony G and Martin.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Totally agree with this opinion... :thumbsup:

TT should loosen his sphincter and look to free agency as a viable option for the Packers offense instead of just relying on the draft (which he is comfortable with) if he really is a Ron Wolf protege as he and Harlan claim to be....

(I'd be happy with Gonzalez or Moss...Both would be a dream come true!
But highly unlikely...)

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Pack should go ou and get a big time free agent or even two , but to say that our tight end is worthless is a bit much. I agree Bubba has had his share of drops but remember that for most of the season he's been asked to stay back and block because of or young o line. I was at the game last Thursday and was as pissed asa the next guy over the drops and the fumbles but I think worthless is to much.Now that task on hand is to get bring in a STUD D- End and yes another pass catcher. Go back to the mid 90's it was a two tight end system that the pack had a ton of luck with Chumura and Jackson.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That would be good to do,the TE we have now don't do much. Hey Ted,are you listening? :bow: :cross: :santa:

I don't need to listen, I'm a NFL General Manager. I know what needs to be done and I do what I can to make the Packers better. If I can get Tony to sign with the Packers. It will be done.
- signed, Ted Thompson

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Interesting comment from Peter King in Sports Illustrated yesterday:

I think, speaking of Green Bay's tight-end shortcomings, I've got a marriage made in free-agency heaven: The Packers, with Brett Favre coming back for one more year (if he does) and with $28.4 million to spend under the salary cap, Green Bay should make its number one priority in the off-season convincing Tony Gonzalez to come north as the highest-paid tight end in NFL history. Here's why: The Green Bay tight ends have killed the Pack offense all season, and Gonzalez is the most productive available tight end in recent history. Don't worry about his age (30); he's missed two games due to injury in 10 NFL seasons. Don't worry about declining production; at 27, 28, 29 and now at 30, he's had at least 70 catches and at least 850 yards receiving in each season. I realize this is not GM Ted Thompson's way, spending big on free-agents. But this should be his exception. He should look at Packer history, and see what a big signing Reggie White was in 1993 by Ron Wolf. Gonzalez isn't the same kind of "statement'' signing, but his impact on the team could be as big in 2007 as White's was around that time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/24/week16/5.html

That's the entire article there.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonzalez would be great in Green Bay. He's going to be way to expensive. If he were the final piece I'd say go get him, but I still think we're a ways away from being Super Bowl contenders.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's right. Peter King is a good writer and someone who knows his stuff. I agree with him. Tony G would be 1 of 2 of my big free agent signings this year. Justin Smith the DE from Cincy would be the other.

Reaction score
IMO this is not going to happen.

1. Tony G. is 30, he will likely want to cash in on his last contract. Meaning he wants the big bucks and the long years.

2. The Chiefs know without Gonzalez, their pass offense would be below average at best. They will probably use the franchise tag and retain him or get something meaningful in return.

3. TT is not willing to get into a bidding war. He is committed to contracts he believes are fair value, good for both the team and fair for the player. Kampman and Pickett were examples of this deal, so I doubt he would be willing to get into a bidding war over anyone with Tony G and end up over paying.

With that being said, I think TT will pursue a relative unknown TE in Eric Johnson. He is in the Antonio Gates mold, and has shown the ability to get open and make catches (had 800+ receiving yards in only 2004). He was injured in 05, and has almost 300 yards receiving this year (but let's be fair - Alex Smith at QB and an O scheme not to adamant about using TEs). He could be a steal, under the radar type signing that Ted would prefer.

I'd still love getting Tony G. somehow though; TT is paid the big bucks to make this team better (Tony G would do that) and be creative in doing so (find a way to make the deal not so bad for the Packers).

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be stunned if TT decided to put that much money into a FA, even one of Gonzales stature. It's not his style. However, I DO expect he'll upgrade TE with a up & comer type. I don't know enough about available TEs to name names. It is a definite need, no doubt.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be stunned if TT decided to put that much money into a FA, even one of Gonzales stature. It's not his style. However, I DO expect he'll upgrade TE with a up & comer type. I don't know enough about available TEs to name names. It is a definite need, no doubt.

But Thompson has already put that much money into a free agent. His name is Charles Woodson. So I would not rule out Gonzalez on that basis alone. Some of the best teams in the league already have good tight ends (San Diego has Antonio Gates, Baltimore has Todd Heap, Indianapolis has Dallas Clark, etc.), so it is possible that Gonzalez could be had for a price that is not too ridiculous.

Also, remember that when Ron Wolf signed Reggie, he was something like 31 years old and the Packers were still at least a couple years away from being contenders. So this is not as crazy as it may sound at first. I'm not the kind of fan who's going to demand that Thompson pursue Gonzalez. The Packers do have a lot of other needs, and I'm not from the micromanagement school of fandom anyway. But I think Gonzalez to the Pack is a very intriguing idea.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

TT should loosen his sphincter and look to free agency as a viable option for the Packers offense instead of just relying on the draft (which he is comfortable with) if he really is a Ron Wolf protege as he and Harlan claim to be....

But highly unlikely...)

Wait a sec...

Ted tossed a ton of money to Woodson, in fact........

woody, driver, Kampman, and pickett make up the top 7 highest players on the roster...and if you notice those 3 of those WERE FREE AGENTS..

So he has shown he will open his "sphincter"

But yeah, 3 guys he got to come here, and they are in the top 6 in salary but Ted is way tight

:kickcan: :rubeyes: :soapbox:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
here is his salary history from nfpa,

2002 550,000.00
2003 650,000.00
2004 2,000,000.00
2005 3,000,000.00
2006 3,600,000.00

I dont see KC letting him slip away..But maybe if the Pack offer him a crazy amount of cash he just might like to come a little bit further north

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think T.T. is willing to spend big bucks but I don't think he's willing to spend big money on a slew of players. Tony G I think he'll look at but if the bidding war gets to extreme he'll pull out.

I don't think Tony G returns to Kansas City. In fact I've read that Tony G wants to test the market and most have said he's pretty much leaving in the off season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

But highly unlikely...)

Wait a sec...

woody, driver, Kampman, and pickett make up the top 7 highest players on the roster...and if you notice those 3 of those WERE FREE AGENTS..

But yeah, 3 guys he got to come here, and they are in the top 6 in salary but Ted is way tight

You and your FACTS....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
P@ck66 said:

But highly unlikely...)

Wait a sec...

You and your FACTS....

Well some people like to use real tangible things, and others rathers just kepe assuming

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't count re-signing your own players as big FA aquisitions...

He gave Woodson a big contract and signed Pickett....

(Not exactly burning up the FA market...and not even close to the deals Ron Wolf made in building the SB teams...)

That's what I would call "facts" or "reality"....

Let's just hope that TT can do something next year in FA that will further help the Packers get to the places that Ron Wolf took them when he was here....

I'm hoping to see that happen in '07......

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

(Not exactly burning up the FA market...and not even close to the deals Ron Wolf made in building the SB teams...)

Let's just hope that TT can do something next year in FA that will further help the Packers get to the places that Ron Wolf took them when he was here....

Ted, not tittie.

Restricted Free Agents, I agree, not burning up the market.
Unrestricted Free Agents, that's very important. They are just like any other player who is a UFA. They are open to any team.

A big part of Free Agency, as all knowledgable fans know, is keeping the players you helped groom.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Hmmm..

you forgot Kamp was offered a contract in 2005 from the Vikings, but then Tigh Ted got him to sign a one year deal..

I guess you could say that he technically wasnt a FA in 2006...He had something like one day b4 it hit, but Tight Ted got him to sign a muti year deal..

Pickett? along with Kamp those 2 guys were thought of as to be 2 of the top ten fa in 2006...but yet with Tight Ted no one thought they would have a chance guess what?!?!?! He got them..

Then WHAM.....Woody came here with a HUGE contract and lot of people questioned, including me..

Then he made Driver AND Wells very happy by opening up his wallet...

2005 fa really was horrible IMO, but this year i dont think he did all that bad at all...

Go over the roster and see the money guys Ted signed or re-signed and I find it hard to say he is tight...

So, I think that if they bring in Tony he will be offered a contract...Rumor has it they offered Adam V a contract and was more then what Longewell got..

So just in this past year Ted has SHOWN he will and CAN open the wallett depending on the need and the players that can fit that need...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eric Johnson of the 49'ers is a younger, cheaper option. Both he and Gonzales would shine with the Packers.

Lee deserves to be resigned. Martin is out.

Pressure will be applied to Ol Bubba. He will either start playing or he won't.

Members online

Latest posts