Peter King: Pack should get Tony Gonzalez

Reaction score
longtime, you know I'm fairly neutral on TT so I don't mean to turn this into a "TT - Good or Bad" thread, but the Woodson deal initself is essentially a 3 year 18 million dollar contract. They had the break downs where year four would result in a seriously huge cap hit, which in almost all likely hood will not allow Woodson to be kept (unless he plays like the best CB in the history of the NFL).

Also, when TT signed Bubba the contract was essentially a 4 year deal with a 5th year that contained a ton of money which would never be met.

Many of the big time contracts have a few years with bloated money amounts added to them to make it appear as if the Agent got his way, and to serve as some protection if the play in question plays out of this world.

The Kampman and Pickett deals were very fair, that is to say he did not over pay them. Nothing riddiculous like Grady Jackson type money for Pickett (even though Grady never got Grady Jackson type money), and Kampman was no where near the contract of KGB (and that too after coming of a season in which he had almost a 100 tackles).

LT you bring up an interesting rumour, one which I also remember reading. IF correct, then that would show TT is willing to go above what he would consider fair value to get a player he thinks is great. That could be seen as proof that if TT does end up in a bidding war of sorts for Gonzalez, he won't hesitate to offer his the big bucks (nothing overly silly though) to compete with the big boys.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that rumor about Adam V is interesting, but I guess we will never know..

I know how the woody contract is playing out and the up front money for him and the others..Woodson has a 3.2 hit this year,Kamp was 6.0, DD 4.1, Pickett 1.5, Bubba 3.0

My main point was that this past year Ted has shown he will open the wallet for FA but he is always going to be "picky" I guess you could say...

there are going to be guys like Steve Hutchinson that he passed on last year..But I have a feeling Tony G is the type of guy that can really make a difference, this might be Teds "woodson" for the offense

Which makes me think..

If they do bring in Tony and he is very very interested in playing here, do they release Bubba and take that hit??

Reaction score
I must admit, it'd be awsome to see 2 TE formations becoming a stable in our O once again...

A bit of a red flag if you can call it that would be that other TEs have had their production decline dramatically after 30. (IE Jermain Wiggins, had close to 800 rec. yards 2 years ago, but a steady decline each year since)

I still think someone such as Eric Johnson might be worth serious consideration...

Actually I guess we could draft a WR again and turn him into a TE, that might be a relatively easy way to get a real speedster (in TE terms).

Does Gonzalez actually block well? I thought his blocking was average at best (I remember hearing that somewhere).

Reaction score
A tidbit while I was looking over the GM challenge section (I was the chiefs GM):

Tony Gonzalez's salary this year (including bonus and base salary) was about 6.9 million (6.891 million to be more exact).

He will at least be making 8.6 million dollars next year - based on a franchise tender should he receive one (factoring in a 125% pay raise). I'm guessing that would be a starting point his agent uses.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
that is what I was guessing it would be as well..thing now is that Ted has the cap in a great spot and do a lot of different things as far as back loading if needed, or dunping a lot up front like he did with Woddy...

This is from nfl.com

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

A CHIEF CONCERN
Kansas City celebrated the selection of running back Larry Johnson and tight end Tony Gonzalez to the 2007 Pro Bowl team.

But the Chiefs continue flirting with losing one, if not both, of their Pro Bowl players.

Free-agent-to-be Tony Gonzalez has increased his stock with another Pro Bowl selection.

Talks aimed at a new contract for each player have stalled. The Chiefs could try to revive talks with each player in the coming days, and might need to with Gonzalez scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season and Johnson scheduled to become one after next season.

But with so many teams so flush with money, Gonzalez could hit a bonanza on the open market, as would Johnson.

Either way, the Chiefs have to buckle down on the field and off it.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might just want to be a Packer. The older a player gets the more the history and the better the small town of Green Bay looks. At least thats what I would think.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can TT convince him to play one more year in GB with a Hall of fame qb like rodgers? I'm sure the guy doesn't want it to end like this. Green Bay would be perfect for him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. This is an old old old thread. Tony Gonzalez is now 37 years old but is surprisingly still productive. There is no chance of this happening. TG wants to retire. If he did come back, it would be for the Chiefs and old times sake. Undoubtedly he is in decline and there is not much tread left on those tires. They are going to give way soon enough.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
My god what an old as dirt thread. This thread was made when Burnt Fart was still playing.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
06 Season was MM first season has HC for the Pack. 7 Years dident seem that long ago.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can TT convince him to play one more year in GB with a Hall of fame qb like rodgers? I'm sure the guy doesn't want it to end like this. Green Bay would be perfect for him.

The original thread was from 2006

But I dont think he will play again---if he does come to play somewhere else, the Brett comparisons will come out (will he retire, or wont he crap)

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, there are times when a thread is definitely old enough to let RIP and start a new one. That said, Gonzalez is a bit long in the tooth now. I want the kid from Texas Tech if a good ILB isn't there when we pick. He probably won't be there either though.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish that he would come to GB as well.
I like the guy, he is a fellow vegan and should give it one more chance with a SB caliber team.
Sucks that he is leaving after all the accomplishments except for a SB win.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Let the man retire. There are other great TE options in this year's draft, explore them. I'm not a Jace Amaro (his name) fan.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonzalez should have forced a trade back to KC this year, in order to have a storybook finish. If the Falcons don't make that miracle drive in the final seconds against Seattle last year (of which he was a big part), Gonzalez finishes his career without a playoff win. I think after he resigned to just sticking out the season in Atlanta, that he's ready to hang them up.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a Jace Amaro (his name) fan.

Why? Big guy. Runs excellent routes. Quick for his size. Very good hands. Strong blocker but sloppy technique at times. A good TE coach could make him into an elite blocking and receiving TE.

Think of him in terms of Gronkowski plus a brain.

What exactly do you not like about him? Maybe I'm missing something?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish that he would come to GB as well.
I like the guy, he is a fellow vegan and should give it one more chance with a SB caliber team.
Sucks that he is leaving after all the accomplishments except for a SB win.
You like him as a football player for your team because he's a vegan?
That's quite possibly the strangest argument for a player I've ever read here.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You like him as a football player for your team because he's a vegan?

Vegan-ism is vegetarianism combined with moral relativism. It's much more closely tied to the extremist animal rights groups than to any health concerns. And no, I'm not talking specifically about anyone on this forum but virtually all of the ones I know personally love to get on their soapboxes whenever they can and declare themselves to be morally superior to us knuckle-dragging steak-eaters. So naturally they tend to see other vegans (Gonzalez) as superior as well.

EDIT: Did some looking. Gonzalez isn't a vegan anyway. He eats about 1200 calories worth salmon and/or tuna as a regular part of his daily diet. That's a BIG vegan no-no. He also participates in a sport that uses cow hide in the production of it's balls. Looks like he's more PETA kook than anything else.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Why? Big guy. Runs excellent routes. Quick for his size. Very good hands. Strong blocker but sloppy technique at times. A good TE coach could make him into an elite blocking and receiving TE.

Think of him in terms of Gronkowski plus a brain.

What exactly do you not like about him? Maybe I'm missing something?
Usage for one. The guy is basically a beefy slot WR, not a lot of versatility. I also question his football IQ, but I'm hoping the interviews prove me wrong. I don't see the strong blocking either, just doesn't have any feel for it.

Members online

Latest posts