Peter King on Thompson, free agency

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PeterKing:Titans, Packers wisely keeping cool in free ag

I usually can't stand Peter King but I agree with his take. The Pack is wise sitting out in this ridiculous FA market. Sooner or later the prices will drop to more reasonable rates.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PeterKing:Titans, Packers wisely keeping cool in free agency

Excellent article by Peter King. We will see at end of this '07 season if Thompson and Rheinfeldt were right in sitting out the first couple weeks of Free Agency. Rheinfeldt was correct in stating that these huge contracts to these free agents coming into their team will cause problems with the other players in those team's locker rooms in future years..

I can see nothing more than esculating contracts in the NFL because of that first week in Free Agency. And team getting themselves into "salary Cap hell" in the future, because their other players already on their roster will demanding more money because of this wild spending. We will see more examples of what happened to the 49ers in '04 and '05 when they cut many good players who had expensive contracts to get under the salary cap and go with inexpensive players. Results 2-14 and 4-12 season in '04 and '05

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, sorry to say that the Titans just signed Ryan Fowler, yes Ryan Fowler, who statred a whopping 3 games to something like a 13 million Dollar Contract.

So that leaves ol' Ted atop the hill of cheapness. So only Ted and Peter King know the secret recipe to success in the NFL. Wow, amazing

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant see spending tons of money on a player that hasnt even started a game, if I spent that kind of money I would want to know that this guy was "great". But to bank on a possibility, I wouldnt do it. I had hoped TT would have spent some money on a free agent thats not a rookie player. But its not over til its over.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, sorry to say that the Titans just signed Ryan Fowler, yes Ryan Fowler, who statred a whopping 3 games to something like a 13 million Dollar Contract.

So that leaves ol' Ted atop the hill of cheapness. So only Ted and Peter King know the secret recipe to success in the NFL. Wow, amazing

Amazing that the Packers aren't signing guys like Fowler to $13 million dollar deals????

pyle, you need to apply for the Packers GM job...you've got all the answers so give the front office your view and surely they'll kick Thompson to the curb. The Packers will win it year in and year out under your direction.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer TT's "cheapness". If there was some FA out there worth it, and he didn't move, then I'd be pissed, but I don't see that there are any serious upgrades worthy of big $. We'll see how this plays out before season starts.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree that some are vastly overpaid. But there have been a couple bargains out there that could have helped like Eric Johnson, TE and TJ Duckett, RB that both got contracts for about 2 million and would have upgraded us. I wonder what the deal is with Cato June, seems like little interest and we could use him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats like paying $25 for a McDonald's double cheeseburger. So......are you saying the Titans are SMART for spending that kind of money on a nobody? You WANT TT to make those kinds of dumb moves HERE?
I'm sorry......maybe i'm missing something.......

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Has anyone watched Fowler play? The Cowboys made a mistake in not tendering him higher, will be a solid to above average LB with a little time:) With that said, the whole market is crazy, the Eagles offered him a larger contract but he turned it down for a chance to start.

Is any player worth the money they are getting to PLAY a game?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone watched Fowler play? The Cowboys made a mistake in not tendering him higher, will be a solid to above average LB with a little time:) With that said, the whole market is crazy, the Eagles offered him a larger contract but he turned it down for a chance to start.

Is any player worth the money they are getting to PLAY a game?
I can honestly say i haven't seen him play. That being said, it's STILL a crazy amount of money. I don't want them to tie up that much in a guy that started 3 games. I would hope TT would not make that kind of jump.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

Thats like paying $25 for a McDonald's double cheeseburger. So......are you saying the Titans are SMART for spending that kind of money on a nobody? You WANT TT to make those kinds of dumb moves HERE?

No, the Fowler signing was ridiculous. The point is everyone was agreeing with the Peter King article, though they normally call him an idiot. Now that the Titans have signed someone I guess this leaves Ted Thompson and the Brilliant Peter King as the only 2 people who know how to approach FA. Maybe thats why Ted has won GB so many Super Bowls....No Wait, Playoff Games......or uhhh had a record over .500.....Oh Nevermind

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

No, the Fowler signing was ridiculous. The point is everyone was agreeing with the Peter King article, though they normally call him an idiot. Now that the Titans have signed someone I guess this leaves Ted Thompson and the Brilliant Peter King as the only 2 people who know how to approach FA. Maybe thats why Ted has won GB so many Super Bowls....No Wait, Playoff Games......or uhhh had a record over .500.....Oh Nevermind

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

But I will say that it is ridiculous to say a writer is "usually an idiot" until he gives props to your team.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

I am glad to see we are in agreement for once Trom. Hopefully if we keep praying Ted will step down. Keep up the faith brother

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

I am glad to see we are in agreement for once Trom. Hopefully if we keep praying Ted will step down. Keep up the faith brother

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts