Perspective

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/21/nfc-playoff-picture-packers-all-but-out-of-it/

"As we begin this week’s look at the NFC playoff picture, Green Bay is 14th in the conference — ahead of only the Bears and 49ers. With both the Vikings and Lions two games ahead of the Packers in the NFC North, it’s hard to see Green Bay winning the division. And it’s even harder to see Green Bay winning the wild card, given that the Packers are 2.5 games behind the current No. 6 seed, Washington."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not even sure why people are even including the Packers in any playoff conversation. While mathematically they have not been eliminated, the current state of the Packers should have us all talking about who will be available with a Top 10 Draft pick.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am unaware of anyone that believes this team has a shot at play-offs. I am a 5'3 out of shape female ex soccer player, I am pretty sure I could burn our secondary on a deep route.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am unaware of anyone that believes this team has a shot at play-offs. I am a 5'3 out of shape female ex soccer player, I am pretty sure I could burn our secondary on a deep route.

Not to put your skill set down ;), but Stevie Wonder could torch our secondary! With Ray Charles at QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't help myself but as long as the Packers aren't mathematicaly eliminated from the playoffs I'm optimistic for some stupid reasons. Although I have to admit that this year's squad is making it awfully tough to believe in miracles.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
More importantly, do you WANT the miracle? :)

Really the only miracle I would want is this team fully finding its way and getting back to playing solid football in every phase of the game. But I think we have all been waiting for that to happen for 20+ games and the likelihood of it happening is remote at best now. What I really don't want to see happen, is the Packers start showing signs of turning it around and that saves jobs that shouldn't be saved.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really the only miracle I would want is this team fully finding its way and getting back to playing solid football in every phase of the game. But I think we have all been waiting for that to happen for 20+ games and the likelihood of it happening is remote at best now. What I really don't want to see happen, is the Packers start showing signs of turning it around and that saves jobs that shouldn't be saved.

Agree. That was supposed to be my point, the miracle being a playoff berth.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams in our division don't consider the Packers out of it. Externally they all recognize the skills of Rodgers and McCarthy and won't count us out until after Week 17.

That said, when I look at the upcoming schedule I only see the Bears and Texans as possible wins. That would put us a 6-10. Even if we snuck out another one against Minnesota or Detroit, 7-9 won't get us into the playoffs.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams in our division don't consider the Packers out of it. Externally they all recognize the skills of Rodgers and McCarthy and won't count us out until after Week 17.

That said, when I look at the upcoming schedule I only see the Bears and Texans as possible wins. That would put us a 6-10. Even if we snuck out another one against Minnesota or Detroit, 7-9 won't get us into the playoffs.

Agree in principle with the second paragraph. In the first, I want to know where to get down a bet that the other teams in the North will have to wait until after the regular season to count us out of the playoffs. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

6-10 is where my brain is at right now. While I want the Packers to win every game they play in, I wouldn't be that bothered (then I already am) by 4-12, which would probably create the catalyst for a clean sweep and a fresh start with a new GM and coaching staff. I was fine with how things were going, lose a playoff game here, almost make the SB there but that means your team is close to being top notch. The current team is so far away from being that, I just don't see how the current GM and coaches are going to turn it around. The selfish side of me wants to be in the offseason wondering about all the new changes we will see with new management and coaches and not worried about another year of the same old same old we have seen for 20+ games.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Were not out of it. IMO 9-7 can win the division and were 2-1 right now in division . I'm not giving up on these guys but they need to get it together FAST. I like what Spriggs showed. I like the possibilities Michael brings. Cook proved he is a valuable weapon. Gotta move Clay inside for the final run. There saying DR is real close. Maybe we get a pleasant surprise with Getting Sammie back.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Were not out of it. IMO 9-7 can win the division and were 2-1 right now in division . I'm not giving up on these guys but they need to get it together FAST. I like what Spriggs showed. I like the possibilities Michael brings. Cook proved he is a valuable weapon. Gotta move Clay inside for the final run. There saying DR is real close. Maybe we get a pleasant surprise with Getting Sammie back.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Not to put a pin in your balloon but:

FAST: The Packers have been playing poorly for the better part of 20+ games, I wouldn't expect "fast" to happen.

Spriggs: While he stepped in and played well at guard, the OL as a whole needs to improve and currently has no depth.

Michael: Don't expect too much from a guy who has yet to play a down for the Packers.

Cook: I agree with you here ;) Now he just needs to stay healthy and continue what he did. Beyond him, sits RR.

Clay: Even when healthy, he has been either boom or bust. Moving him inside is an option, but I see the same results.

DR: Even if he is healthy, I don't see him alone rescuing that secondary.

Sammie: Don't hold your breath on his return or if he does come back, he may be done after one hard tackle.

This team isn't just one or two return of injured players or tweaks here or there away from returning to a top 5 team IMO.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not to put a pin in your balloon but:

FAST: The Packers have been playing poorly for the better part of 20+ games, I wouldn't expect "fast" to happen.

Spriggs: While he stepped in a played well at guard, the OL as a whole needs to improve and currently has no depth.

Michael: Don't expect too much from a guy who has yet to play a down for the Packers.

Cook: I agree with you here ;) Now he just needs to stay healthy and continue what he did. Beyond him, sits RR.

Clay: Even when healthy, he has been either boom or bust. Moving him inside is an option, but I see the same results.

DR: Even if he is healthy, I don't see him alone rescuing that secondary.

Sammie: Don't hold your breath on his return or if he does come back, he may be done after one hard tackle
This team isn't just one or two return of injured players or tweaks here or there away from returning to a top 5 team IMO.

I agree with most of what you posted but if you look around the league it's kinda wide open this year. If there was a year for a team to come out of nowhere this would be it. Plus, we all know how Detroit can implode at any time. The Queens OL is as bad as our secondary. Yes, its been ******* my eyes to watch our current defense but lets face it, our back up corners are't what we thought or at least what I thought. Rollins looks horrible and Gunter is "press corner." Goodson is garbage and glad I don't have to watch him anymore. Looking back probably should of kept Hayward.

I think in the case of 1-2 players making a big difference that Sam Shields is that type of player and especially for us with all the tight man to man Capers likes to play. Shields is as valuable to our defense as maybe a Richard Sherman is to Seahawks even though they are asked to different things.

With all that said I'm just saying Pack isn't out of it and part of me would like them to get a chance to draft a guy like Jabrill Peppers so well see what happens.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you posted but if you look around the league it's kinda wide open this year. If there was a year for a team to come out of nowhere this would be it. Plus, we all know how Detroit can implode at any time. The Queens OL is as bad as our secondary. Yes, its been ******* my eyes to watch our current defense but lets face it, our back up corners are't what we thought or at least what I thought. Rollins looks horrible and Gunter is "press corner." Goodson is garbage and glad I don't have to watch him anymore. Looking back probably should of kept Hayward.

I think in the case of 1-2 players making a big difference that Sam Shields is that type of player and especially for us with all the tight man to man Capers likes to play. Shields is as valuable to our defense as maybe a Richard Sherman is to Seahawks even though they are asked to different things.

With all that said I'm just saying Pack isn't out of it and part of me would like them to get a chance to draft a guy like Jabrill Peppers so well see what happens.

I will say this, if the Packers somehow make it to the playoffs this year, that would mean that they have figured things out, improved quite a bit and probably won 5 or 6 games to do it. So yes, that would give us all hope. But if you take a real hard look at the teams the Packers have beat (Jags, Bears, Lions, Giants) and then a look at the way they are currently playing and who they have lost to in the process, I'm afraid even Green and Gold colored Glasses can't quite distort the view enough for me to think its going to happen.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The overall conservative approach of this team has finally caught up to them. If the Packers are serious about contending next season I don't see how they don't try and bring in a couple FA's. A few guys I think we could realistically see next season would be (This is assuming a few cuts are made):
  • Alshon Jeffery. Not sure what impact his PED suspension will have though.
  • Chandler Jones
  • Jamie Collins
I'd love for us to go after a corner too, even if Shields comes back the group we have right now is underwhelming and we don't have the time to wait 'X' more seasons in hopes that they improve. That's what got us into the mess to begin with.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tempation will be to look for anything that can be grabbed onto to keep the status quo; a strong finish, injuries, etc.
But this has been coming for a while now, and 'same old same old' will only continue the decline and make the hole deeper to come out of.
The time to make changes will be right after the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The overall conservative approach of this team has finally caught up to them. If the Packers are serious about contending next season I don't see how they don't try and bring in a couple FA's. A few guys I think we could realistically see next season would be (This is assuming a few cuts are made):
  • Alshon Jeffery. Not sure what impact his PED suspension will have though.
  • Chandler Jones
  • Jamie Collins
I'd love for us to go after a corner too, even if Shields comes back the group we have right now is underwhelming and we don't have the time to wait 'X' more seasons in hopes that they improve. That's what got us into the mess to begin with.

With TT in control, don't get too excited about the FA market. I also don't expect to see Shields back and if he is, it better be with a restructured deal that takes into account just how tenuous his future of playing football is. If he is released, the savings could be used towards obtaining a quality CB.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to put your skill set down ;), but Stevie Wonder could torch our secondary! With Ray Charles at QB.
You do know that Ray Charles is dead, right?
And if Stevie Wonder was really out there, well, it's a darn good thing there is a thick pad on the post of the goal.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if by some crazy miracle they make it to the playoffs, so freaking what?
They are going to lose it yet again.
Why do we keep on acting as if the playoffs are an automatic in for the Pack to get to the SB?
Better to get it over with now instead of the yearly playoff loss pain later.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, the perspective to be had is the realization that this is just not a good football team.
Lack of speed, explosive game changing players, talent , depth, on and on.
Throw in a lack of direction and identity.

Latest posts