Perspective, Concerns, our Line, & Choking

What did you think of my Perspective/Rant?

• Agree

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our Line:

I'm not convinced our O-Line is all that and a bag of chips. We got banged up on those front lines, but that's probably going to happen again. It's not un-common for Offensive Lineman to get injured, I'm not expecting it, but it's a likely scenario for 2016. I would suspect Bulaga to miss some games, which leaves us with Spriggs or Barclay for RT to fill that void. Springs is a shiny new piece, highly touted, athletic, but has a lot to prove. Which leaves us with Don being the first choice when one of the two tackles goes down (yuck), assuming we keep him around and Spriggs doesn't beat him out in TC.

I understand in 2014 Barclay was injured, he's really a backup, got thrust into LT against a great D, and this is a lowlight. However, I still feel that top rushers can still do this to the packers offensive line (Bulaga or Bahk) as they please. Come playoffs, we will face the top pass-rushers in the league and I hope that they can persevere.

I'm crossing my fingers on a healthy and "productive" offensive line going into the post-season.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...ls-Dwight-Freeney-sacks-Packers-Aaron-Rodgers

Wideouts need to get OPEN

It's my biggest concern that coincides with the Line and that's wideouts getting open. I'm sure the Packers will be better than this in 2016, but it's still a concern going into this season. Assuming 87 returns to 2014 form at 31 years of age coming off of an ACL. I'm as optimistic as anyone, but it's a lot to ask of Jordy, realistically. 88 is coming off of a high-ankle-sprain. 18 had a punctured lung, nothing to shrug off. Janis is a question mark. I don't even know what Abby is, a reincarnated Amendola? Adams, appears "focused" this season based on recent locker room interviews, but he needs to convince us when it counts and not in the locker room. #11, to be determined. Tightend, #89, he better catch that ball.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...te-Adams/069f6d91-da59-47e0-8358-76a81e76d117

You can fast forward to the 50 second mark, good protection, great pocket awareness, no one open.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000571030/Packers-vs-Broncos-highlights

Schedule

Pundits are saying this Packers' 2016 schedule is among the easiest there is in the league. Ok, so we appear to have a great chance at 10+ wins and playoff appearance. However, that's pretty much our floor for the last 10 seasons. In other words, that's been status quo for a while. It's awesome to root for a successful team, it's a privilege. However, this above-average-team is missing a 2nd ring between 2010-present. It's a harsh critique, it really is, but the Packers should've held up another Lombardi between 2010 and now. It's almost like we are in the 90's Bills conversation (I said almost). We are more than capable of getting there, but choke for a different reason every season. Again, I'm being a little harsh here, I know, but we all feel they could do it. They have the Defense that can hang in there and make plays, we have the best QB in the game, and we have a TON of Post-Season Experience (if that means anything).
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/mike-mccarthy-at-a-crossroads

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...hedule-49ers-falcons-at-no-1-packers-at-no-32

Final Thoughts

I cannot wait for this season to start. Can you tell?

I believe our running game will be the best we've seen in a long while.

I know we can get in the playoffs. See, I am optimistic.

We need to get into SB51, status quo sucks when you have the best QB in the game. I'm also a little pessimistic.

Thank you for reading my rant, I didn't expect to put this much down in a thread.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the year, I expect it will be another good year, i expect we will make the playoffs, I expect we will not make the Super Bowl again, I expect some will be satisfied with making the playoffs again, I expect some will be unsatisfied with only making the playoffs again.

I expect there will be many excuses, scapegoats as to why we failed to reach the Super Bowl again. I expect in the playoffs, Rodgers and the offense will falter in some fashion and while the defense will do their best job to keep us in the game, the defense will at some point fail in the most ridiculous and spectacular fashion with the game on the line while the offense does their absolute best to not help them out.

Why do I expect all of this?

If you are the Packers, its what you do.

I HOPE, i am just a jaded ******** and we win it all.

Unfortunately, past history, since the Super Bowl win, all points to the former rather than the latter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our Line:

I'm not convinced our O-Line is all that and a bag of chips. We got banged up on those front lines, but that's probably going to happen again. It's not un-common for Offensive Lineman to get injured, I'm not expecting it, but it's a likely scenario for 2016. I would suspect Bulaga to miss some games, which leaves us with Spriggs or Barclay for RT to fill that void. Springs is a shiny new piece, highly touted, athletic, but has a lot to prove. Which leaves us with Don being the first choice when one of the two tackles goes down (yuck), assuming we keep him around and Spriggs doesn't beat him out in TC.

I understand in 2014 Barclay was injured, he's really a backup, got thrust into LT against a great D, and this is a lowlight. However, I still feel that top rushers can still do this to the packers offensive line (Bulaga or Bahk) as they please. Come playoffs, we will face the top pass-rushers in the league and I hope that they can persevere.

I'm crossing my fingers on a healthy and "productive" offensive line going into the post-season.

The Packers starters on the offensive line are absolutely fine in pass protection. Just take a look at their performance during the playoff game at Arizona when they only allowed a single sack. The unit is in need of improvement blocking for the run but at this point in their careers I don´t expect that to happen.

The reason the unit struggled when injuries hit last season was a lack of depth at both tackles position. Hopefully drafting Spriggs and Murphy addressed that issue. With that being said Barclay is a question mark to even make the roster in the first place.

It's my biggest concern that coincides with the Line and that's wideouts getting open. I'm sure the Packers will be better than this in 2016, but it's still a concern going into this season. Assuming 87 returns to 2014 form at 31 years of age coming off of an ACL. I'm as optimistic as anyone, but it's a lot to ask of Jordy, realistically. 88 is coming off of a high-ankle-sprain. 18 had a punctured lung, nothing to shrug off. Janis is a question mark. I don't even know what Abby is, a reincarnated Amendola? Adams, appears "focused" this season based on recent locker room interviews, but he needs to convince us when it counts and not in the locker room. #11, to be determined. Tightend, #89, he better catch that ball.

As long as Nelson is able to come back in full strength the Packers wide receivers corps should return to being one of the best in the league. On the other hand if he doesn´t there´s reason to be concerned after watching the unit struggle last season. Jared Cook adds much needed speed at the tight end position and should open up some space for the WRs as well.

Pundits are saying this Packers' 2016 schedule is among the easiest there is in the league. Ok, so we appear to have a great chance at 10+ wins and playoff appearance. However, that's pretty much our floor for the last 10 seasons. In other words, that's been status quo for a while. It's awesome to root for a successful team, it's a privilege. However, this above-average-team is missing a 2nd ring between 2010-present. It's a harsh critique, it really is, but the Packers should've held up another Lombardi between 2010 and now. It's almost like we are in the 90's Bills conversation (I said almost). We are more than capable of getting there, but choke for a different reason every season. Again, I'm being a little harsh here, I know, but we all feel they could do it. They have the Defense that can hang in there and make plays, we have the best QB in the game, and we have a TON of Post-Season Experience (if that means anything).

Taking a look at last season´s records the Packers have the easiest schedule in the league, so there´s a decent chance the team will be able to secure a first round bye. It´s tough to win in the playoffs but I agree that if Rodgers ends up winning "only" a single Super Bowl there´s reason to be disappointed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy turned 32 yesterday.
He is a concern as well.

Many forget this small fact about Jordy. If Adams doesn't blossom into what we hoped or the new speedster from Cal (or I guess perhaps Janis) doesn't either...the next outside WR threat is a MUST find in the next year or two. Otherwise you remove a whole chunk of the offensive pie from us. And we saw how that treated us last year....Gotta have an overthetop threat, seam threat, short/quick threat for the passing game to flourish even with AR as our QB.

(oh and he just turned 31...not 32)

D

Deleted member 6794

Many forget this small fact about Jordy. If Adams doesn't blossom into what we hoped or the new speedster from Cal (or I guess perhaps Janis) doesn't either...the next outside WR threat is a MUST find in the next year or two.

Absolutely agree that the Packers have to search for another elite outside receiver within the near future as Nelson is getting up there in age.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't forget that in 2015 Alex Van Pelt was both the QB & WR coach. He may have had some help along the way but both position groups require their own and the WR's didn't have a dedicated coach OR their senior leader (Jordy). With Luke Getsy concentrating on WR's exclusively I expect a sizable "jump" in production and the receivers doing many of those little-things much better (e.g. beating the jam at the line, crisp(er) routes & less drops).

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the year, I expect it will be another good year, i expect we will make the playoffs, I expect we will not make the Super Bowl again, I expect some will be satisfied with making the playoffs again, I expect some will be unsatisfied with only making the playoffs again.

I expect there will be many excuses, scapegoats as to why we failed to reach the Super Bowl again. I expect in the playoffs, Rodgers and the offense will falter in some fashion and while the defense will do their best job to keep us in the game, the defense will at some point fail in the most ridiculous and spectacular fashion with the game on the line while the offense does their absolute best to not help them out.

Why do I expect all of this?

If you are the Packers, its what you do.

I HOPE, i am just a jaded ******** and we win it all.

Unfortunately, past history, since the Super Bowl win, all points to the former rather than the latter.

I'd say pretty much most teams that are contenders but fail to win the SB get bounced in the fashion you suggested. It's just that it prevails in our minds against the Packers cause we're all Packers fans.

But I'd say the Packers don't have a monopoly on losing when the offense isn't up to snuff most of the game and the D gives up a big play or two in crunch time. Like I said alot of PO teams lose in that fashion.

I don't know. Still not a big fan of people ragging on the status quo as a horrible position to be in, as the OP suggested, when the status quo is perennial SB contender. Winning a SB is a tough proposition for every team no matter how good they are.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. Still not a big fan of people ragging on the status quo as a horrible position to be in, as the OP suggested, when the status quo is perennial SB contender. Winning a SB is a tough proposition for every team no matter how good they are.

Far too much logic in this paragraph to get agreements from most sadly... I though 100% agree.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You get agreements from the long-time fans but not from the new fantasy fans.

Not all of the old guys agree, except for the part of it being tough to win a SB. If I didn't care, that would be enough. Because the Pack is my team, I want the brass ring. Conventional wisdom says every year with Rodgers at the helm and no ring is (I can't think of anything word right now) wasted. Don't know if it's an official record or not, but I think the Pack is at the top of the "nice try, better luck next year" list and has more last play playoff losses than any others.

Ask any Packer about how many championships, the Lombardi era, the Favre and Rodgers trophies, and I imagine you'll get a pretty consistent and immediate answer. Then, ask those same folks about playoffs, division titles, or anything else admirable but short of the Lombardi, and I would think most would have do some research, because nobody cares or brags about that sort of thing.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You described the exact naivety about most fans that drives me insane....they have no appreciation for just how tough and difficult it is to accomplish the ultimate trophy in ANY of the major sports.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to mess with your mental well-being. :) I thought I started my post with agreement about being hard to win, which should have gotten me beyond naive and unappreciative, but apparently not. If some are satisfied about losing, and losing in such gut-busting ways, that's a personal choice. I was satisfied during the Gory Years because I knew they weren't going anywhere in post-season. However, I had the Lombardi years to fall back on, and not multiple times when they are almost there. More power to those what can accept losing in a legitimate SB year - it's those failures that 'drive me insane'.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are not as bad as whom I felt you descibed. I hate losing and it sucks the fact how we've lost in playoffs lately...but I definitely cannot say we've had bad yeas or are not in a prime time period.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say pretty much most teams that are contenders but fail to win the SB get bounced in the fashion you suggested. It's just that it prevails in our minds against the Packers cause we're all Packers fans.

But I'd say the Packers don't have a monopoly on losing when the offense isn't up to snuff most of the game and the D gives up a big play or two in crunch time. Like I said alot of PO teams lose in that fashion.

Please show me proof of another team that dominates the entire NFC Championship game but gives up 20 points in the final 5 minutes of the game, including a 2 play 60+ yard drive to end overtime.

Please show me proof of another team, that COMBINED with the above, that loses a playoff game by giving up a 75 yard, horrible tackling play on the first play of overtime.

Please show me proof of another team, that COMBINED with the above, that loses, you know what? Nevermind. It is all rhetorical because you can't. Look, I love the Packers, I love the fact that they are always in the playoffs. But denying the fact that this team fails in utterly ridiculous fashion in the playoffs is simply living in denial.

It is not that the Packers lose in the playoffs, it is the fashion in which they do. The find ways to lose these games in a fashion that has never happened before or at the very least happens in the frequency in which the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

They have not been prepared to play a full football game through to the end in the Playoffs in quite some time, and the results show.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares....we aren't Browns fans. Enjoy it

(feel free to insert Jaguars, Titans, Dolphins, or any other team that hasn't even sniffed one of those situations in decades)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask any Packer about how many championships, the Lombardi era, the Favre and Rodgers trophies, and I imagine you'll get a pretty consistent and immediate answer. Then, ask those same folks about playoffs, division titles, or anything else admirable but short of the Lombardi, and I would think most would have do some research, because nobody cares or brags about that sort of thing.
I would think that's because we've won so many more of those distinctions than Super Bowls. They are only less in the eyes of the beholder.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a ways to go to be all-time caliber chokers. NY Giants of 1958-1963 lost in the NFL title game 5 of those 6 years. Didn't make it the sixth time. Cleveland Browns of the 1950's were 3-4 in NFL title games. Vikings lost 3 super bowls in four years during the 1970's. StL Rams lost 4 NFCCG in 5 years during that same era. Cowboys lost 3 in a row in the same game right after. More recently the Eagles lost 3 in a row before finally winning one and then lost in the super bowl. Everyone remembers the Bills losing 4 SB in a row during the 90's. I don't know the exact plays that lost the close games but if the internet existed then I'm sure the fan boards would have the same laments that this one has.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was choke vs. losing. You mention lots of games, and since the Packers weren't in them, I don't remember much. How many of those losses were on the last play of the game, in how many did the losing team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? I think the first of the four Bills losses was the missed FG - after that, I don't know. The Vikes with Favre and Anderson probably come pretty close.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are not as bad as whom I felt you descibed. I hate losing and it sucks the fact how we've lost in playoffs lately...but I definitely cannot say we've had bad yeas or are not in a prime time period.

I absolutely love that we are in contention every year, but that is only going to last for so long. I don't expect Rodgers to play as long as Peyton or Brady. He has a bright potential future outside of playing QB, he wants to get into producing movies, and who knows what else. He won't push it, like Favre did, and I expect him to leave the game well before his skills diminish. So, the clock is ticking.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of those losses were on the last play of the game, in how many did the losing team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

I believe it was the The '90 Oilers had Elway drive on them in the final play to get bounced from the playoffs then the following year they had an epic collapse vs Frank ***** not to mention not being able to get over the hump in the late seventies.

And let us not forget the Browns with 'The Drive' and 'The Fumble'

These are just quick items off the top of my head...

The sports landscape is littered with the dead carcasses of missed opportunities and the pain that goes with it. Despite our angst, the Packers woes are not special or unique.

Members online

Latest posts