Personnel Formations

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the so called #2 WR is a manufactured term by fans and pundits. In our offense we have guys filling different roles within LaFleur’s scheme. My guess is the term #2 WR is never uttered inside the offices at 1265 Lombardi Ave. It has no meaning in context with the Packers. This offense is effective because it throws a multitude of weapons, and formations with different possibilities at the defense. It appears that some of our posters either do not like or do not accept that reality.

It absolutely matters against teams with defenses that can double Adams and force the offense elsewhere (see the Bucs game and the Colts second half). That #2 receiver is gonna be REAL important against the Rams.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good blockers aren't nearly as hard to find at receiver as good, uh, receivers. Outside of Adams, Lazard is an excellent blocker (close to elite) and decent receiver, the others are subpar at best. In fact, Lazard, MVS, and Adams are the only receivers that blocked in the running game more than 90 times all season (per PFF play analysis).
I take it you don’t like our WR production?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it you don’t like our WR production?

Never said that. I think Adams has been phenomenal, Rodgers is the MVP for a reason, and MLF has been very good at running the offense this year. Lazard is an elite blocker and reliable short range guy. The rest are young and could improve but they certainly aren't there yet.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It absolutely matters against teams with defenses that can double Adams and force the offense elsewhere (see the Bucs game and the Colts second half). That #2 receiver is gonna be REAL important against the Rams.
If Scantling lines up in the slot, who for the Rams is going to cover him one on one? Who is going to cover Tonyan and Jones?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Scantling lines up in the slot, who for the Rams is going to cover him one on one? Who is going to cover Tonyan and Jones?

Darious Williams...he's a very good cornerback. Only allowing 52% completion rate, 13 passes defensed, 4 INTs. Troy Hill is also a very a good CB. John Johnson is a very good coverage safety. Have you not watched the Rams this year? There is a reason they are most likely the best defense in the NFL and their secondary, coupled with Aaron Donald, is the reason why.

Go look at what they did against the much better receivers in the Bucs game. I believe the Packers offense is better than the Bucs overall, but Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, and Chris Godwin combined for 159 yards and there is no argument to be made that Adams, MVS, and ESB are the equivalent of those guys. Additional examples:

• First game against the Cardinals, Murray threw for 173 yards total (Hopkins 8 catches for 52 yards)
  • The second game against the Cardinals was even more dominant
  • 2nd game against the Seahawks, Wilson threw for 225 yards (Metcalf 6 for 59 and Lockett 3 for 44)

Now, the Rams offense has been very hot or cold so I still think the Packers win but pretending that the Rams can't severely limit the Packer's passing game is a little too rosy an outlook for me.