Perrish Cox (CB, Oklahoma State)

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My personal favorite corner if we decide to go there in the 2nd round. He's tall, quick, and shows great instincts to get to the football. Does have some trouble in man to man but is an easily fixable technique thingy. He's also a great returner which could play a huge factor to his draft stock.

Read & React: Recognizes routes and diagnoses whether the receiver is the primary read by reading body language. Alert to swing passes in the flat in zone coverage. Reads receiver screens, avoids the block and closes to make the play near or behind the line. A step slow attacking in his zone or to chase plays, and will take poor angles to the ball.
Man Coverage: Should flourish as a press cover corner at the next level. Smooth hip transition from backpedal. Best in press coverage, using his length and size to neutralize the receiver, but could be more consistent getting his hands on jersey at the line. Keeps contact with receiver downfield to prevent separation. Has height and vertical leap to win jump balls. Often forces quarterback to look in another direction. Will lose his balance and footing on double moves. Likes to be physical downfield and must be more disciplined in this area.
Zone Coverage: Smooth pedal for his height and usually stays low. Maintains cushion for a few steps. Changes direction easily to shadow receiver. Can knock receiver off a route before letting him go to the safety. Keeps eyes in the backfield to make play on short throws or runs. Will come off his man to give help behind him when the ball is in the air.
Closing/Recovery: Good arm length to knock away passes after recovering, will take the ball out of receivers' hands during the catch. Must learn to read receivers' eyes and turn for the ball in man. Can accelerate to the ball in front of him, but has only adequate recovery speed if beaten off the line or on double moves. Only average hands for the interception, and will drop catchable passes.
Run Support: Willing in run support, displaying the toughness to get after a ballcarrier. Maintains outside leverage to keep running backs from getting the corner. Despite his height and well-developed upper body and leg builds, does not stand up against or get off downfield blocks from larger receivers very well. Uses his speed to run around blocks on receiver screens.
Tackling: Closes on receivers well when playing off, and will wrap the legs or waist to secure the tackle immediately after the catch. Has the strength to lift and plant receivers when tackling with squared shoulders. Drops his head when tackling in the open field, however, leading to missed tackles.
Intangibles: Started to take on a leadership role in the secondary as a senior, but his maturity is under question again after missing curfew before the Cotton Bowl and later tweeting about it. Good work ethic in the weight room, although it does not always translate on the field. Has three children. Arrested for speeding and driving with a suspended license in September 2009. Solid kickoff returner with necessary size and speed but must improve his vision to find open lanes and hit them hard instead of dancing; he will not get the corner against NFL special teams coverage units. Needs work on his blocking when in tandem return formation.

Highlights:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_n9K3stn8"]YouTube - Perrish Cox Highlight Reel from 2009 Season[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NYPacker, try to, instead of link, quote the analysis of the players, so that posters don't have to go to the link to see the analysis.
-
About him, didn't know he was THIS good!

Him returning reminds me of Joshua Cribbs; not exactly fast, but real great feel of the blocks and pursuits, plus he's really hard to bring down...

And awesome coverage skills

After taking a look at all players available, I'd be all for trading out of the 1st round, and getting up to 5 2nd and 3rd round picks... We could really hit the jackpot in there.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NYPacker, try to, instead of link, quote the analysis of the players, so that posters don't have to go to the link to see the analysis.
-
About him, didn't know he was THIS good!

Him returning reminds me of Joshua Cribbs; not exactly fast, but real great feel of the blocks and pursuits, plus he's really hard to bring down...

And awesome coverage skills

After taking a look at all players available, I'd be all for trading out of the 1st round, and getting up to 5 2nd and 3rd round picks... We could really hit the jackpot in there.

Will do.. sorry for the confusion.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't complain at all with this pick in the 2nd round either. Does have some character concerns, which makes it less likely that TT would draft him, but he's shown he has some great value in the secondary and on special teams.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern is his ability to catch those int's he should have had and his overall foot speed. He got ran down on a lot of those kick/punt returns and if that happens in college it for damn sure will happen in the NFL. However his lateral movement and ability to read blocks is outstanding. Liked some of his tackling as well.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern is his ability to catch those int's he should have had and his overall foot speed. He got ran down on a lot of those kick/punt returns and if that happens in college it for damn sure will happen in the NFL. However his lateral movement and ability to read blocks is outstanding. Liked some of his tackling as well.

This proves that his potenial to b a CB is great. Hands and body posture are like the easiest things to develop.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Joe Haden, he's the guy that I liked the most when watching vid. Specially to us.

We already have playmakers in Woodson, Collins and Williams. What we need is a shutdown corner, someone that can completely negate an opposite player. And he's the closest to that.

And like even more if you consider positional value. Kyle Wilson and Brandon Ghee have better hands and ballhawking skills, so they probably won't be available to our second pick. But in terms of defending the pass, Cox is as good as them, if not better, and is a better KR/PR. So we can spend the 1st rounder in another position, and get a guy as good as we'd get in the 1st with the 2nd round.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact that Cox can play tough D, but his speed scares me.... I feel like he might be one of the slower corners in the draft. Guys in the NFL are going to run that much faster, and I don't know if he is going to be able to run with them. I also didn't like the fact that he uses his body to catch the football... did anyone notice how the few INT's that he had were caught with his body?

I did like his kick returning abilities, he sets his blocks up nicely. The thing is that he can't run away from anyone. He got caught in the back end all the time.

I wouldn't be mad if the Pack drafted him, but I wonder if he is really a second round value? I would think that maybe McCluster second round and him third?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact that Cox can play tough D, but his speed scares me.... I feel like he might be one of the slower corners in the draft. Guys in the NFL are going to run that much faster, and I don't know if he is going to be able to run with them. I also didn't like the fact that he uses his body to catch the football... did anyone notice how the few INT's that he had were caught with his body?

I did like his kick returning abilities, he sets his blocks up nicely. The thing is that he can't run away from anyone. He got caught in the back end all the time.

I wouldn't be mad if the Pack drafted him, but I wonder if he is really a second round value? I would think that maybe McCluster second round and him third?
He doesn't have ball skills, and isn't fast.

Al Harris has few ints, and ran a 4.5 40 or something at the combine.

We don't need more playmakers at the secondary, not with Williams, Woodson and Collins. We need guys that can manhandle their assignments, and let those guys play!

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did you hear that he was slow? I've read on many scouting reports that he's capable of running a 4.4.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched him in those videos... he was getting chased down from behind. Where I see guys like Spiller kicking returning , he is burning 20 yards down field from the nearest guy by the time he hits the end zone. In the videos, Cox was getting caught at the 45 a lot. Just appeared to not have that extra burst as far as kick returning goes.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched him in those videos... he was getting chased down from behind. Where I see guys like Spiller kicking returning , he is burning 20 yards down field from the nearest guy by the time he hits the end zone. In the videos, Cox was getting caught at the 45 a lot. Just appeared to not have that extra burst as far as kick returning goes.
Lucky us we'd be drafting him as a CB...

But for real, have you watched Cribbs return? Not the fastest guy out there. But the feeling for the return, coupled with his strenght, makes him a threat.

For the record, I didn't saw anything in the vid that would make Cox a great KR.

But he's a terrific CB.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't have ball skills, and isn't fast.

Al Harris has few ints, and ran a 4.5 40 or something at the combine.

We don't need more playmakers at the secondary, not with Williams, Woodson and Collins. We need guys that can manhandle their assignments, and let those guys play!
We don't need playmakers in the secondary? Each guy compliments the others. What if Woodson went down? Then we would be left with Williams, Collins, Bigby.......and if needed....Bush.......Bell? As far as Al Harris is concerned, he is coming off that injury........and personally....since getting smoked on just about every play during the Giants playoff game a few years ago, I wish we already had a replacement for him.

A playmaker.....does not mean he can't manhandle his assignments.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need playmakers in the secondary? Each guy compliments the others. What if Woodson went down? Then we would be left with Williams, Collins, Bigby.......and if needed....Bush.......Bell? As far as Al Harris is concerned, he is coming off that injury........and personally....since getting smoked on just about every play during the Giants playoff game a few years ago, I wish we already had a replacement for him.

A playmaker.....does not mean he can't manhandle his assignments.
Darrelle Revis isn't a playmaker. Not in the same kind of Asante Samuel, Charles Woodson and such.

Al Harris isn't a playmaker.

They're shutdown corners. And that's what we're lacking.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darrelle Revis isn't a playmaker. Not in the same kind of Asante Samuel, Charles Woodson and such.

Al Harris isn't a playmaker.

I agree with one thing ....Harris is not a playmaker. Especially when he was on Plaxico Burress and got scorched for over a 135 yeards playing man and bump coverages. Not to mention 2 defensive penalties. I know we are off the subject, but if Darell Revis is not a playmaker, please describe what one is.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with one thing ....Harris is not a playmaker. Especially when he was on Plaxico Burress and got scorched for over a 135 yeards playing man and bump coverages. Not to mention 2 defensive penalties. I know we are off the subject, but if Darell Revis is not a playmaker, please describe what one is.

Two for two on agreeing with you tonight... if Revis isn't a play maker then he isn't in the discussion for DPOY last year. How many picks does it take to become a "play maker"?

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cox is my favorite CB in this class, a nats' butt hair over Kyle Wilson. Cox is a playmaker, that has great field (football) speed and can return kicks/punts. His attitude rubs people the wrong way, but I like that in a CB. I like that cocky, quick memory guy that will not back down from a challenge.

If the Packers land either Cox or Wilson I would be happy.

Here is a couple Cox kick-off/punt returns for TD'sL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJn1kAbtiHM"]YouTube- Perrish Cox 90 yd TD kickoff return[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcZz6WoTZE&feature=fvw"]YouTube- 97-Yard Kickoff Return Touchdown[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggY8z6o2_ZA&feature=related"]YouTube- Perrish Cox- Holdin it down for Waco[/ame]

and his 2009 highlight reel:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_n9K3stn8&feature=related"]YouTube- Perrish Cox Highlight Reel from 2009 Season[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Two for two on agreeing with you tonight... if Revis isn't a play maker then he isn't in the discussion for DPOY last year. How many picks does it take to become a "play maker"?
Read my post again.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like you Perrish Cox fans are going to get your wish... but why has he fallen so far? Why are so many guys going before him... think about it...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cox was a bit overrated imo. He's a bit stiff and struggles to keep up with elite WRs so I guess teams were looking at him to be nothing more than a dime or a nickel CB. Lucky for us he can do just that as well as return punts.

Another smokescreen gone successful by TT. At the combine Cox was told that there was little possibility that the Packers would be interested in him. HOWEVER have things changed!!

Don't forget that Donovan Warren is also available.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts