Pepper's options: with the first being the packers

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an interesting read

Diner Morning News
FROM MICHAEL LOMBARDI:

9 February 2009

QUOTE: “It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.” ~ Epictetus

FROM PAT YASINSKAS OF ESPN.COM … For those who were hoping Julius Peppers would have a sudden change of heart about his desire to leave the Carolina Panthers, forget about it. In a sideline interview during the second quarter of the Pro Bowl, Peppers told NBC’s Tiki Barber he wants out. Peppers wasn’t nearly as eloquent as his agent, Carl Carey, who came out several weeks ago and said the defensive end wants to go to another team. “I just feel it’s time to move on,” Peppers said. When Barber specifically asked what it would take for Peppers to stay with the Panthers, Peppers was suddenly more elusive than he’s been in recent years. He basically dodged the question and that means Peppers was saying, “That’s not going to happen.” Peppers, who can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the month, also confirmed reports that he wants to play in a 3-4 defense. The Panthers still could place the franchise tag on Peppers. But that would cost them $17 million in cap space and they likely would be forced to trade Peppers if he is franchised.

Have you ever heard of someone making $17 million and being unhappy? Of course not, so all this unhappy talk is just that — talk. George Young, the former GM of the New York Giants, used to say, “Players play, coaches coach and scouts scout.” That little saying applies to Mr. Peppers. He’s a football player, and he’s going to play football next season. Regardless of which team he plays for, there will always be some inherent problems. Bill Walsh use to tell me that the search for the perfect player never ends and the search for the perfect team never ends.

The Panthers are in a bad spot right now because they also need Jordan Gross, who might be the hottest player on the free agent market. Very rarely does a young left tackle make it to the market without requiring compensation, and if the Panthers allow Gross to become free, he will be the cream of the free-agent crop. How did the Panthers get into this little mess? You never want to have two top players become free agents at the same time, so why didn’t they sign him before the season? Here’s why: They moved Gross to left tackle and weren’t sure he could play there. The pay scale for a left tackle is vastly higher than it is for a right tackle. Since the Panthers could not be certain Gross could play left tackle, they couldn’t pay him accordingly. Gross’ agent is always going to focus on left tackle wages since it’s the higher market. The Panthers were not willing to pay left tackle wages on speculation, and that’s how they got here. They were careful with their commitment of dollars, and at times that isn’t the best course of action.

Now, back to Peppers. The Panthers cannot let him go, and they must franchise him to trade him if they don’t want to pay the going rate. They must protect their asset. They have a better chance to recruit and match a deal for Gross than they do for Peppers. Where can Peppers go? Well, he’ll have many options, with the first being the Packers. The Bucs will also be players since they’re changing their scheme and will require more size and power up front. The Chiefs, with all their cap room, will be bidders and might be the perfect team to utilize the skill sets of Peppers. However, the Panthers, like the Patriots with Cassel, have to be in control of Peppers’ destination and trade him on their terms, not Peppers’.

The Panthers are lucky they don’t have a first-round draft pick this year. With all the money they’re going to spend on Peppers and Gross, they would not be able to handle the cost of a first-round pick, even a low one.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post. I think the Broncos will bid for him as well, as they're changing to the 3-4 too.
Peppers is a beast, and getting him would be an instant improvement to our defense. But, considering they'll probably tag him, trading for him would be hard. They would surely want a 1st round pick, what could be too high for him. He never played in the 3-4, and is 29. Then again, there's no guarantee that our 1st round pick, whoever he is, is going to suceed, and Peppers IS a beast. But I wouldn't trade for him a 1st round pick. A 2nd round, gladly, but the 9th pick just seems too high. Actually, the best solution would be to trade down and with that pick take Peppers, but that's all hypotetical.

Reaction score
I want to get at least 1 person defensive for the free agency. I like this guys because he is very agile he puts up consistent numbers every year and one of the fastest DEs ive seen. If we get a defensive player that opens way more options for are 1st round

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been trying to look up the info from a few years back when Peppers played just about every position on defense in one game (DT, DE, SS LB, etc...) If anybody can find the info on that it would be great. Just shows his ability and versatility and shows he would be awesome as an olb in the 3-4.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Peppers but I don't want us to end up like the Eagles did on Javon Kerse and then he is cut within two years

WoodyG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Firstly, Peppers has no experience playing in the 3-4. GB has enough players at this moment in that exact same situation. Why bring in another who has to learn the position??

Secondly, I'm still looking for a quote from Peppers saying what he will do for his 'new' team. So far all he's done is talk about his own needs. GB does not need another player who places his needs above the team. The last 'me-player' was sent packing last year.

Thirdly, although Peppers amassed 14+ sacks in 2008, he only had 2.5 sacks in 2007. Why ??

Finally, the amount of cap-space allocated to sign Peppers may very well eliminate GB from signing some of its own FAs to be after the 2009 season. Would you be willing to sign Peppers if it decreased the chances of resigning Jennings, Collins, Kampman, etc.

Say 'NO' to Peppers. Now if you want to talk about Suggs .......

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Peppers as a "me" player. I agree with the fact that he has never played the 3-4, but he's smart, and he's very physically gifted. And I can see the cap space issue, but TT is VERY GOOD at managing cap space, and there's some guys that are declining who costs us a lot, like Harris and Pickett, 6M and 5M aprox. I would like them to play as starters in 09, but don't see them comming back in 10. But I don't agree with the other arguments.
He has never held out. He has always played at his max. He has fullfilled his contract. About 2007, their D-line was a mess, cause Jenkins was hurt all season. Also, with Testaverde throwing and DeShaun Foster running, the defense was always on the field, so it was always tired. He should have done better anyways, but that's a big reason for his dissapointing season. I don't think he played in 2008 cause it was contract year, because he played well in 06, 05... Peppers would be a MAJOR improvement, Woodson wants him ( not namely him, but he wants a VETERAN in D ), and with intelligence to manuever the cap space that could be done. Like I said before, not worth a 1st round pick if Tagged, but that's another discussion...

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to the new season.

New defensive scheme.

Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins
Kampman, Barnett, Hawk, Peppers
Collins, Woodson, Harris, Bigby.

Super Bowl here we come!!!

hitking2456

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are the chances though that Peppers comes here? I really want him to join Green Bay, and every day I read everything possible, and nobody will say anything. The opportunity to place the franchise tag runs out tomorrow right? I want some real speculating by people like Mortenson from ESPN.

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
skibum55 said:

New defensive scheme.

Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins

I don't know. The idea of converting two DEs to OLB in the same season sounds like a bad one to me. I could see it creating alot of problems in coverage, not to mention the fact that only one of them is going to be able to play on the line on the occasions when we play 4 down.

If Thompson truly thinks that Peppers possesses a skill set superior enough to Kampman's that he's willing to pay Peppers ridiculous salary to play the position Kampman is already set to play, then we should really deal Kampman while he still holds value. Why pay two guys to play the same position when we clearly have other needs?

pick-ups

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they dont get Gross signed then Peppers will be available.

The Panthers are in a tough situation.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Cartunist23 said:
skibum55 said:

New defensive scheme.

Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins

I don't know. The idea of converting two DEs to OLB in the same season sounds like a bad one to me. I could see it creating alot of problems in coverage, not to mention the fact that only one of them is going to be able to play on the line on the occasions when we play 4 down.

If Thompson truly thinks that Peppers possesses a skill set superior enough to Kampman's that he's willing to pay Peppers ridiculous salary to play the position Kampman is already set to play, then we should really deal Kampman while he still holds value. Why pay two guys to play the same position when we clearly have other needs?
If i'm Capers, my 4 down formation looks like:
D-Line: Peppers, Pickett, Jenkins, Kampman
LBs: Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga

I feel like Jenkins could play DT. He's done it before, and I think he can do it again. And even if he can't, then replace him with Jolly or Harrell. Either way, I feel like they'd find a way for Peppers and Kampman to be on the field on every down.

I honestly see no downside to bringing in Peppers.

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess said:
Cartunist23 said:
skibum55 said:

New defensive scheme.

Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins

I feel like Jenkins could play DT. He's done it before, and I think he can do it again. And even if he can't, then replace him with Jolly or Harrell. Either way, I feel like they'd find a way for Peppers and Kampman to be on the field on every down.

I honestly see no downside to bringing in Peppers.

While I agree that Jenkins probably would probably be ok playing inside when we go 4 down. I still have to think that sending two converted DEs to chase down running backs in coverage spells disaster. Particularly in their first season as OLBs.

Reaction score
Jess said:
Cartunist23 said:
skibum55 said:

New defensive scheme.

Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins

I honestly see no downside to bringing in Peppers.[

having peppers as a olb is fine he is one of the fastest de to come out of college he should do fine as a olb

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not so fast with Peppers talk

Maybe wont even be an option

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports ... 46431.html
According to sources with knowledge of his intent, Peppers has a list of just four teams to which he's willing to accept a trade. Only one is in the AFC, and another is Dallas, which lacks a first-round pick the Panthers would be seeking in any deal. The other two are believed to be NFC South opponents, to which the Panthers would be hesitant to move their disgruntled star.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like Peppers doesn't really want to come to GB. On one hand it is a little letdown (although I never really thought he would come here) but at the same time it is prob a blessing in disguise. A guy like Peppers would require some serious dough. Does anyone really want to put that type of money into a guy that has never played the scheme and add him with a bunch of other guys that are trying to learn the scheme. For the money I would rather have Suggs who knows the 3-4 or for a substantial discount from that type of money is a guy like Bart Scott who also is versed in the 3-4.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention that spending that type of money on Peppers would have put us in a tough position to keep guys like Jennings and Collins when they come up for FA. Don't get me wrong, if we broke the bank on someone like Haynesworth, Asomugha or possibly Suggs I would be giddy like everyone else.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I missed it, I do not see where anyone is discussing the cost for Peppers if he is tagged.

If he is tagged Carolina is going to look at the Allen deal in MN as a base. The Queens gave up a midlevel 1st round draft pick and I think a 2nd or a 3rd for Allen.

Where we are picking in this years draft, is it worth it? For the Queens Allen was only 26. How old is Peppers?

The same discussion can be used regarding a Suggs trade.

If he is tagged I do not see him coming to us.

hitking2456

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what are the chances of picking up Haynesworth anyway? Plus the big worry about him is that he's played so well because it was a contract year and the better he played the more money he got. If he gets the big money like he wants (which he most definitely will) then he could just shut down.