Peppers improves D but...

D

Deleted member 6794

We need to draft big guys for the dline, as in more than one. When we were stopping the run in the first five games, our ILBs looked a lot better, Jones included. Raji has never been a very good run stuffing NT and he's only here as a stopgap for one more year. At safety we at least have Hyde moving over who should be a big improvement over Jennings and McMillan. It'd be great to have Mosely to cover TEs, but when it comes down to it if Nix is there I think we need to take him. A NT in a 3-4 is the absolute key, not as some "playmaker" (what a BS ESPN term that is) but as a guy who makes everyone else's job easier. The best thing we can do for the pass rush is to stop the run and give CM3/Daniels/Peppers third and long every series so they can tee off. Also, there's no knowing on whether Jolly can come back and if so if he'll be nearly as good with a bum neck. That leaves what, C.J. Wilson for base? Worthy? Boyd maybe? It'd be great if we had guys who could play both the run and pass from the dline like Watt or Justin Smith, but if we don't get guys out there to stop the run then we're SCREWED. Sure we don't play base much, but when we need to stop the run in the last five minutes and can't, that's the game. The best way to make sure we don't have to sit out there in base is to make sure we're good enough at it to get to nickel, where we look pretty prepared to do well right now.

I wouldn´t mind getting a NT capable of helping the run defense either, but I don´t think the Packers need to use a first round pick on it.

I really don´t get why it seems a lot of people think that Hyde won´t have any troubles moving to safety and that it´s a given our secondary will improve because of it. It might work out, but that shouldn´t be the Packers only plan at safety.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We need to draft big guys for the dline, as in more than one.
How many DL do you see them keeping and of those, how many "big guys" (aka "fat guys")? Yes, Raji and Guion are playing on one-year contracts but both will likely be on the roster. And I expect Boyd to make it too. If Jolly is cleared and returns... I agree for the future they'll have to add fat guys but if they draft two, who goes?

I agree with captain WIMM - I don't want Hyde to be the only plan at safety but the one good thing about MD Jennings play was that it gives Packers fans confidence whoever takes his place has to be better.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Hyde should be the only plan at safety, just that I don't think it's as important as getting some guys who can hold the line when we know they're going to run. Having a lot of big guys doesn't mean much if they can't do the job, which Raji/Pickett/Jolly couldn't do after the first five games last year. We're only putting three out there at a time, so "we have lots" doesn't help. Besides, so far Jones, Worthy, Daniels and Peppers don't look like legit 3-4 run stuffing lineman, they're nickel guys. It'd be awesome if Jones or Worthy could be three down guys, but they haven't shown that yet.

I've heard a lot more about safeties in the second round that could work out than I have about really special nose tackles like Nix. Stuffing the run makes for a better pass rush and having a better pass rush helps the secondary. I don't see it going the other way.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn´t sound that positive though.

I just thought he did a good job of putting the signing into perspective. Can he help the D? Absolutely. Is he dominant anymore? No. The signing doesn't automatically hand us a Super Bowl or assure that the D is completely fixed. What it does is bring in a guy who can still play just not at the level that he used to. I don't think it was necesarially meant to put a spin on it either way but just provide some perspective on it is all.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just thought he did a good job of putting the signing into perspective. Can he help the D? Absolutely. Is he dominant anymore? No. The signing doesn't automatically hand us a Super Bowl or assure that the D is completely fixed. What it does is bring in a guy who can still play just not at the level that he used to. I don't think it was necesarially meant to put a spin on it either way but just provide some perspective on it is all.

As I said before I´m one of the few on the forum not totally on board with the Peppers signing. His play has steadily declined over the last few seasons and if this trend continues in 2014 I don´t think he´ll improve our defense significantly, which he should actually do for $8.5 million.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said before I´m one of the few on the forum not totally on board with the Peppers signing. His play has steadily declined over the last few seasons and if this trend continues in 2014 I don´t think he´ll improve our defense significantly, which he should actually do for $8.5 million.

I agree and that's why I didn't go shouting from the mountain tops about the signing. It's alot of money for a guy to be just average so I hope that playing with a guy like Rodgers on a team that has a legit shot a Super Bowl (which I don't believe the Bears do under Cutler) rejuvinates him. Time will tell. I think the article just reiterates what you have said here but also says he can still be a force when he wants to be.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how much I like Mosley. He ran an unofficial time in the 4.6s at his pro day which means he's probably officially in the 4.7s if not 4.8s.

40 yard dash is the most over-emphasized stat in football. Acceleration, timing, instincts, reaction time, agility, intelligence... these are all more important attributes on a football field.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some of you people are impossible. just absolutely ****ing impossible.

sign a free agent - check.
big name one - check.
defensive play maker - check.
difference maker - check.
some help for clay - check.
make sure it's a low risk and team friendly contract - check.

when i was a kid, probably about seven years old, i was pretty ornery. I used to fight with authority figures all the time. all the time. if mom said don't do it, i'd do it. if dad said do it, i wouldn't do it. I wasn't pretty ******** cranky most of the time. and one day my mom was about to lose it because i was being such an *******, she asked me "do you just really LIKE being contrary all the time?" And you know what, i screamed at her, "NO!". But after giving it some thought, i decided that, yes, i did just like being contrary all the time. I liked being impossible. Just like way too many of you guys. So I get it. I was impossible too. When I was seven.......

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping rodell330.. I like the signing like I said before, I like Peppers more that Allen. Peppers still has some gas in the tank. I agree we need a safety but if for some star alining coincidence both Mosley and Pryor are available who would be the better pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am hoping rodell330.. I like the signing like I said before, I like Peppers more that Allen. Peppers still has some gas in the tank. I agree we need a safety but if for some star alining coincidence both Mosley and Pryor are available who would be the better pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about me haha,

D

Deleted member 6794

some of you people are impossible. just absolutely ******* impossible.

sign a free agent - check.
big name one - check.
defensive play maker - check.
difference maker - check.
some help for clay - check.
make sure it's a low risk and team friendly contract - check.

I'm not sure if you're referring to something I said, but here's my take on your post. I didn't want TT to sign a free agent just for the sake of signing one but to improve this defense significantly nor did I ask for a big name (aside of Byrd) to be brought in. While Peppers has been a playmaker during his career there is no denying he's on the downside of his career and it remains to be seen if he 'll be able to be a difference maker in Green Bay. And don't let yourself fool by the $3.5 million cap hit in 2014, it's actually $5 million more as it will result in that amount of dead money in 2015.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Mosley's time in the 40 (4.65) is right around where Mack and Barr ran (within 0.02 seconds). Speed isn't an issue with Mosley. He's played against, and covered, some very fast players in the SEC over the years and his speed hasn't really been an issue. Is Mosley the second coming of Bowman? Probably not, but he's certainly the best bet at ILB that we're likely to have a shot at.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

If he's not going to be as good as Bowman, he's not 1st round calibre. Bowman was a 3rd or 4th round pick and this is supposedly one of the best drafts ever? Might as well try to trade back a couple of times and capitalize on the depth of the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he's not going to be as good as Bowman, he's not 1st round calibre. Bowman was a 3rd or 4th round pick and this is supposedly one of the best drafts ever? Might as well try to trade back a couple of times and capitalize on the depth of the draft.

It doesn´t matter in which round Bowman was drafted, he has been the best ILB in the league since 2011. It´s probably unfair to expect a draft pick to be better than him no matter which round the guy is drafted.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You might want to re-examine your standards for a first round pick. It's mathematically impossible for every first round pick to be among the best three players at their positions.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to re-examine your standards for a first round pick. It's mathematically impossible for every first round pick to be among the best three players at their positions.
Which is exactly why I think it is generally better to trade back out of pick 10-25 to some team desperately seeking a particular guy. I'd much rather have picks 36,67,150 than pick 21.

D Frank

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all of the above;

It's "POSSIBLE" all of those players kan be gone by the time the 21st pick rolls around.. Let's just keep an open mind about all of these guys.. And those unspoken of who have 1st round potential.. This draft is deep, so whoever we get at the safety position and ILB is an upgrade from last year.. Don't stress over who we should draft.. Let the front office worry about that.. I mean that's all we kan do anyway right? TT and MM know more than we do about these prospects.. This is our year folks!!!! DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH..

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm having trouble coming up with other significant Packers that wore 56.
All I can come up with are Tommy Crutcher in the mid 60's and Burnell Dent in the late 80's.
I'm drawing a blank on more recent players.
That's what happens when you get old.:(

Nick Barnett wore the number longer than any other player in Packers history.

Latest posts