Peppers improves D but...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and Capers still have a lot of work to do. Anyone on here who knows me can attests that i won't hesitate to voice opinions about TT and how I feel about his lack of real interest to bring in quality free agents over the years but I'm also going to give him props when he does hit on a draft pick or In this case bring in an impact player that can improve our chances of winning a SB . That's all I care about as a fan. I applaud him for opening the check book and getting a player of Peppers quality . We all are hoping peppers can have the same impact to the defense such as Reggie white or a Charles Woodson. Now I'm praying TT can hit on a defender in the first round who can have impact right away such as Clay Mathews did. Is it going to be a safety? MLB? DLine? Many ppl are saying Pryor but there's no guarantee that he will even be there. If Ebron is still there you can't pass on him but we need some speed and athletes in the middle at mlb .Hawk is steady but he's slow and you won't see him make to many impact plays . shazier is going to be a good player at olb or ilb. And he would be a great addition. No more Brad jones!

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT and Capers still have a lot of work to do. Anyone on here who knows me can attests that i won't hesitate to voice opinions about TT and how I feel about his lack of real interest to bring in quality free agents over the years but I'm also going to give him props when he does hit on a draft pick or In this case bring in an impact player that can improve our chances of winning a SB . That's all I care about as a fan. I applaud him for opening the check book and getting a player of Peppers quality . We all are hoping peppers can have the same impact to the defense such as Reggie white or a Charles Woodson. Now I'm praying TT can hit on a defender in the first round who can have impact right away such as Clay Mathews did. Is it going to be a safety? MLB? DLine? Many ppl are saying Pryor but there's no guarantee that he will even be there. If Ebron is still there you can't pass on him but if not then you take the big NT from ND as he looks like he can be what Raji used to be and there's no guarantee he will be back after this yr. put a dominant NT with a healthy Clay Matthews and motivated Julius Peppers? I won't matter who plays safety because qbs won't have enough time to pick them apart. But a ballhawk and sure tackler would be a welcome addition. :)
I like what you said, but why take the NT from Notre Dame when Capers doesn't ask much from his NT anyway?
Don't you want to use your #1 on a playmaker?
Even in Pittsburgh, who for a decade had a great defense under **** LeBeau with NT Casey Hampton, he wasn't asked to do much, make plays. He allowed the OLB's and ILB's (Harrison, Woodley, Farrior) to make the plays by occupying a couple of OL.

I want Pryor or HaHa, or Borland with that first pick.
Yes Borland is going to be gone earlier than many said earlier... I have seen nationwide mocks this week with him going to Denver in round 1.
That guy is as sure-a-thing as anyone else at ILB this whole draft IMO. And I hate the Badgers by the way so that's no homerism.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a good pass rush can help hide an average secondary. If Peppers and CM3 can generate a consistent pass rush, it'll help hide the lack of safety talent currently on the roster. Ideally, Raji, Mike Daniels and Datone Jones take advantage of the outside pass rush and create some pass rush from the line. The run defense is still a weak, but don't underestimate CJ Mosley if he's still on the board. The Packers first round big board should be: Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Nix, Mosley and Ebron. One of those five players should be there.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that Peppers has been a great player in the league for a long time his play performance declined last season and if he can't improve compared to 2013 I don't know if he'll improve this defense a lot.

We still lack another safety and one, maybe even two ILBs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safeties take time in this defense to become familiar enough with the plays to play well. I'd rather draft Mosley in the first over a safety and take a physical project, small school safety later in the draft and let him learn the defense without forcing the guy to start.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pryor will be gone I can almost guarantee it and Haha as well. I like Borland and his playing style and I'm an Ohio state fan who saw that guy make plays and tackles all over the field. Is he worth taking in the 1st? I'm going to agree because he's ready to play and I like those type. Already an upgrade over Jones, Lattimore ,and on Hawks heels

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If TT cant get Mosley, Ha Ha, or Pryor at 21 then trade out of first and draft Borland, Troy Niklas, and Deone Bucannon. Sign Chris Clemons and roll.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a good pass rush can help hide an average secondary. If Peppers and CM3 can generate a consistent pass rush, it'll help hide the lack of safety talent currently on the roster. Ideally, Raji, Mike Daniels and Datone Jones take advantage of the outside pass rush and create some pass rush from the line. The run defense is still a weak, but don't underestimate CJ Mosley if he's still on the board. The Packers first round big board should be: Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Nix, Mosley and Ebron. One of those five players should be there.

Not sure how much I like Mosley. He ran an unofficial time in the 4.6s at his pro day which means he's probably officially in the 4.7s if not 4.8s. When Ive watched him play he's never looked like a particularly fast player and coming out of Bama I doubt he's going to improve physically. With Bama kids what you see is what you get. To me he's Chris Borland with less leverage, intangibles.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how much I like Mosley. He ran an unofficial time in the 4.6s at his pro day which means he's probably officially in the 4.7s if not 4.8s. When Ive watched him play he's never looked like a particularly fast player and coming out of Bama I doubt he's going to improve physically. With Bama kids what you see is what you get. To me he's Chris Borland with less leverage, intangibles.

I like shazier better than any of those Guys. He's got every physical trait to be a FS in a linebackers body. He tackles with explosives quickness and flys all over the field to. We need 1 of those. He can play inside or outside.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mosley's time in the 40 (4.65) is right around where Mack and Barr ran (within 0.02 seconds). Speed isn't an issue with Mosley. He's played against, and covered, some very fast players in the SEC over the years and his speed hasn't really been an issue. Is Mosley the second coming of Bowman? Probably not, but he's certainly the best bet at ILB that we're likely to have a shot at.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he's aggressive, quick and could tackle in the open field, I'll take either or.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like shazier better than any of those Guys. He's got every physical trait to be a FS in a linebackers body. He tackles with explosives quickness and flys all over the field to. We need 1 of those. He can play inside or outside.

I completely agree. Shazier is fast. Added to that, he is very good blitzing from the ILB position. Essentially by drafting him you also get a good pass rusher/blitzer up the middle. He can run, tackles well, covers well and is a good blitzer. I also think if we play some 4-3 this year...mix it up a little bit...he can slide over to the strong side and cover the tight end well. I don't think he would have trouble staying with someone like Vernon Davis. He would be my pick, but I think if a safety is there at #21 that's who we will pick. I am fine with that also

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. If the 2 safeties and Mosley are off the board in the 1st, a trade-down for an early 2nd and 3rd rounder would be ideal for the Packers.

Getting Shazier, Niklas, Borland and Jimmie Ward/Deone Bucannon/Terence Brooks (I really don't know who's better) would be a fine draft for GB.

Ra'shede Hageman might even drop down into the 2nd and we could snap him up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with Shazier (and it's not a huge problem, just the only thing keeping him from sure-fire first rounder) is he's REALLY light to be playing ILB. He's listed at 237 but there's no way he's that big during the season. I'd be shocked if he actually finished any year in the NFL weighing over 230 lbs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pryor will be gone I can almost guarantee it and Haha as well. I like Borland and his playing style and I'm an Ohio state fan who saw that guy make plays and tackles all over the field. Is he worth taking in the 1st? I'm going to agree because he's ready to play and I like those type. Already an upgrade over Jones, Lattimore ,and on Hawks heels

The scout that Vic Ketchman talks to (Tony something? I forget his name) says that he doesn't think either safety is a first round pick.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Shazier really is that fast and drops to us on the second round we have to snatch him up... That kind of speed in a linebacker is rare.. And he is a pretty good tackler too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced TT will take anyone at 21. This draft is so deep in so many positions that the person you select in Round 2 is likely a first rounder other years. Just remember Eddie Lacy. Rookie of the Year for a second rounder. You save the first-round money and get a good player(or two).

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The scout that Vic Ketchman talks to (Tony something? I forget his name) says that he doesn't think either safety is a first round pick.

If it wasn't a weak safety class id agree . I watched the combine and pro day stuff like I'm a scout haha and neither guy blew me away. What I do like about Pryor tho is he has football speed and he's not going to shy away from contact. A lot of ppl think he would be a FS but I see him as a SS with solid ball skills. I like him over Haha to be honest. This class isnt that deep as far as eye popping talent at the spot however. If I were TT I'd take Shazier and then Trade up in the second and take Borland and then you have you're starting olb and mlb of the future . We need a safety but if offer Woodson about a mil as he's ring chasing and see if Richardson or Hyde can develop behind him. Can you imagine Hawk and Borland in the middle with Matthews and shazier on the outside? You have two thumpers in the middle with athletes and speed on the outside who can rush the passer? Throw in a Peppers who you can move all over the line? with up and comingDaniels and hopefully a motivated Raji or Jolly and omg I just got goosebumps with how much better this defense looks!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Amen. There's no doubt in my mind that our secondary would be fine with any sort of a consistent pass rush. Let's hope we snag one more pass rusher and this could be fun. Even if Peppers lost a step, I gotta believe he'd be very good if he was lined up with some serious pass rushers.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen. There's no doubt in my mind that our secondary would be fine with any sort of a consistent pass rush. Let's hope we snag one more pass rusher and this could be fun. Even if Peppers lost a step, I gotta believe he'd be very good if he was lined up with some serious pass rushers.

Peppers will have a similar impact that white did! You heard it here first ! If Packers can add a few more pieces to the defense and it stays healthy it's NFC title game in Green Bay. I'm calling it.

H

HardRightEdge

I like what you said, but why take the NT from Notre Dame when Capers doesn't ask much from his NT anyway?

There is a gross misunderstanding with regard to the importance of the NT, chiefly caused by the "just take up blockers" bromide.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a gross misunderstanding with regard to the importance of the NT, chiefly caused by the "just take up blockers" bromide.

Agreed. I think it's just because that's all the Packers NT did. They just took up space but the NT is really more involved ...ours just wasn't. Ideally you would want them to have a Vince wilfork or Casey Hampton type of effect.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to draft big guys for the dline, as in more than one. When we were stopping the run in the first five games, our ILBs looked a lot better, Jones included. Raji has never been a very good run stuffing NT and he's only here as a stopgap for one more year. At safety we at least have Hyde moving over who should be a big improvement over Jennings and McMillan. It'd be great to have Mosely to cover TEs, but when it comes down to it if Nix is there I think we need to take him. A NT in a 3-4 is the absolute key, not as some "playmaker" (what a BS ESPN term that is) but as a guy who makes everyone else's job easier. The best thing we can do for the pass rush is to stop the run and give CM3/Daniels/Peppers third and long every series so they can tee off. Also, there's no knowing on whether Jolly can come back and if so if he'll be nearly as good with a bum neck. That leaves what, C.J. Wilson for base? Worthy? Boyd maybe? It'd be great if we had guys who could play both the run and pass from the dline like Watt or Justin Smith, but if we don't get guys out there to stop the run then we're SCREWED. Sure we don't play base much, but when we need to stop the run in the last five minutes and can't, that's the game. The best way to make sure we don't have to sit out there in base is to make sure we're good enough at it to get to nickel, where we look pretty prepared to do well right now.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I don't see the point of putting Boreland out there with Hawk as they're so similar. Maybe Boreland is a bit better at this point and I'd be fine with drafting him later if we're looking for Hawk's replacement down the road, but at ILB we need someone like Mosely or Shazier (who would be AWESOME) to shoot gaps and run with TEs. Putting Boreland out there with Hawk is just asking for a 100 yard day from whoever the opposing TE is.

Members online

Latest posts