Peppers and the injury history of GB.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a theory about the injuries GB has suffered over the years recently. Granted some years you will suffer more injuries than others. But we had a serious trend going on here...

Then last year that all changed... I asked myself what was different?

I dont think its as much of a physical thing as one would think. The injury prevention thing. You got to be in great football shape, thats a give in. Bigger bodies faster, stronger, yea true... But then you got a big tall guy like Peppers out there making it happen.

I think its a technique on aggresivness. A control of the emotions, based on a pure confidence. And a lot of toughness. It is real Hall of fame leadership at work. Its not by chance Peppers has played this many years with as few games missed as he has. For a big guy who earned a living in the trenches, its an amazing record. He is a master of his surroundings. The young players are copying what they are seeing, and not only a more dominant defense has evolved. but we are becoming a master of our surroundings as a group, and the injuries are less. I dont think its a coincidence.

We need to get him his ring.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After one year it's waaaayyyy too early to say anything definitively. McCarthy made a radical change to his training camp schedule and procedures, Peppers came in, and Lady Luck cast her whims. It's just a fact that some people avoid injury better than others - chalk it up to genetics, training habits, and a whole bunch of factors. We could easily be the most injured team again in 2015...let's hope not.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So the Packers experienced fewer injuries last season because the players are copying Peppers? Does that go for players on offense and STs too?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt a reduction in injuries from the team as a whole came simply from players watching Peppers.

You'd have to compare the injury rates of all of his teams to see if there is any correlation. And even if there is a correlation, there would be no way to prove any connection between the two.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After one year it's waaaayyyy too early to say anything definitively. McCarthy made a radical change to his training camp schedule and procedures, Peppers came in, and Lady Luck cast her whims. It's just a fact that some people avoid injury better than others - chalk it up to genetics, training habits, and a whole bunch of factors. We could easily be the most injured team again in 2015...let's hope not.
Most players are in excellent shape to make the final roster. Bad luck probably has as much to do with it as anything. Look at Dante Fowler. Easing up on the pounding of practice certainly helps.

Reaction score
I have a theory about the injuries GB has suffered over the years recently. Granted some years you will suffer more injuries than others. But we had a serious trend going on here...

Then last year that all changed... I asked myself what was different?

I dont think its as much of a physical thing as one would think. The injury prevention thing. You got to be in great football shape, thats a give in. Bigger bodies faster, stronger, yea true... But then you got a big tall guy like Peppers out there making it happen.

I think its a technique on aggresivness. A control of the emotions, based on a pure confidence. And a lot of toughness. It is real Hall of fame leadership at work. Its not by chance Peppers has played this many years with as few games missed as he has. For a big guy who earned a living in the trenches, its an amazing record. He is a master of his surroundings. The young players are copying what they are seeing, and not only a more dominant defense has evolved. but we are becoming a master of our surroundings as a group, and the injuries are less. I dont think its a coincidence.

We need to get him his ring.
I've got perhaps one of the craziest imaginations around and I actually enjoy thinking outside the box so I commend you for that. Honestly, I couldn't wrap my mind around the theory of Julius' leadership skills being somehow interrelated to the injury report each week? Not to mention the injuries that happen while lifting heavy in the weight room and during workouts with no opponents etc..
Anyway, were in agreement about wanting him to get a ring. I'd love that even though it will incite hatred from the Chicago fans who have to eat crow for all their shameful comments about trying to convince us Packers he's washed up. He converts to OLB and gets 2 Lambeau leaps his 1st year here? Cmon. I think it's just as possible he improves this year again at OLB.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers hasnt missed a game in his career I dont think. Sometimes leadership is all thats missing. Its not by pure chance that Peppers was one of the lucky ones. He is a physical freak, and he is master of his surroundings. THATS why, IMO. Now you see guys like Neal and Perry, and Jones who are just as physically gifted, but mentally they are out classed. They , in a way, are the old saying. the guys standing around are the guys who get injured. Has less to do with training, and physical ability.

When these young guys see a real Hall of Famer come in. They breath the air. They mimic the nuances of greatness. And working together as a team, they are brought to a much greater potential. Not only on the field of play. But mentally. And that mental strength is whats keeping our guys healthy and aggressive out there.

Its all about leadership.

You think anyone was going to come out for a tweaked anything after Reggie White throws a cast on his broken elbow, and dominated one handed??? Heck no! That psychological boost got us a superbowl.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You still haven't answered what impact Julius Peppers "leadership" has on weightlifting accidents, acl tears from planting and cutting, non-football injuries etc.

Until you can do so I think it makes more sense to assume the drop in injuries were due to the practice and training changes implemented by McCarthy and just plain luck.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You still haven't answered what impact Julius Peppers "leadership" has on weightlifting accidents, acl tears from planting and cutting, non-football injuries etc.
He can't. It's more nonsense. For example: Neal, Perry, and Jones are just as physically gifted as Peppers? Yikes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When these young guys see a real Hall of Famer come in. They breath the air.
Obviously none of us are breathing the same "air" as you? Do you live in Colorado by chance? :D

It's true that great players can be provide inspiration and that gutting through an injury can be commendable, but I haven't seen an issue where players are wimping out. Brad Jones was a good example of a player that should have sat to let his injuries heal. Knees explode. Hamstrings pull. There's no mental game you can play to make those go away. Favre's bruised thumb and Antonio Freeman's casted arm are not the same time of injuries.

I like the essence of your thought but don't think it's applicable. I point to MMs change in training camp and plain old luck more than Peppers' divine inspiration

H

HardRightEdge

A couple of other things that may have helped with injuries at the margins:

- the Packers hired a full time nutritionist starting in the 2014 off season, with new training table offerings and one-on-one consultations

- as part of the $150 mil updates to the stadium, the cafeteria and conditioning and rehab facilities were renovated and expanded

- some of the players, most notably Rodgers, have taken up yoga. I understand it's good for flexibility

All in all, expecting injuries to be as remarkably few as last season is asking too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts