People love a villain

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really do not understand why people feel TT is forcing Brett out. He fired sherman, and bretts comments earlier this season hinted at his retirement if sherman wasn't back. I get that. But Brett recently made different comments regarding that, didn't he, like a couple weeks ago?

Another reason people think it is happening is because of the "new faces" comment by TT in a press conference. It would be just...INSANE...to think that he was talking about the man he fired, mike sherman. making that connection would just be...out there, right? Jeez.

Also, there are articles\columns saying TT is forcing him out. However, they are being written by ****** bags like cris collinsworth(does ANYBODY like him? To each his own,I am just curious) and by former QBs who were...FORCED OUT. They see this situation as similar and would obviously make that connection. I do not blame them for that. But most of those QBs were forced out due to injuries, and their bodies breaking down. Favre is healthy(he felt his best in years last year due to CORE training) and his arm is as good as it has been. So those situations are now different.

I am begining to wonder now if people think\want TT to 'force' Sherman out, because it would make TT one of the biggest villains of all time in packer history. "The Man Who Made Brett Favre Retire"

I(now call me an idealist) do not think anybody...in their right mind...would force Brett Favre out. Who would want that job, or that title? Just because last years 1st pick in the draft was a QB doesn't mean the current QB is on the way out.

If you have a veteran QB, with great arm strength, great accuracy, and a superbowl ring...would you run him out of town? No...you wouldn't(sorry if I am speaking for you, I just assume) Not when the veteran QB appears to have a couple years left. Now cap space could be an issue when it comes to re-signing the qb in 2007, but that is not what is the current situation.

now, TT is new. He has had 1 year here. He hasn't done anything mindblowing, just cleaning up Shermans mess. He cut hunt, and joey thomas...they suck. Favre is not even in the same league as those guys, so just because he ran them out, doesnt mean he will brett.

I dunno...I dont know why people feel Favre is being run out. I think if Favre retires, its because he wants to.

I am willing to bet that in a couple weeks(or whenever favre speaks) we will find out TT asked brett back, talked to brett about the direction of the team, and if favre retires, its because he wants to.

Only time will tell on this one, until brett talks. So ya know what, fine. Go ahead, speculate, villify, and condemn TT for no good reason. Everything we're doing (even me, sticking up for him) is being done with no real proof or reason(except his draft, and cutting of and bad players\coaches) so..lets just go crazy with it until we find out the truth.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't put words in people's mouths. He didn't talk to Brett. Those words came from his mouth. Publicly he has said he wants Favre back. Well do something about it. He thinks he is covering his *** by saying publicly he wants him back.

I feel he is forcing Brett out because it is only natural for a newbie GM to want to make his mark early on. His first draft pick, in his mind, is his mark. He wants to get "his" boy on the field to show what a genius he is.

I just hope Brett comes back....naming Bates or Mooch the head coach may do the job. Brett hit it off real well with Bates.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Did he hit it off with bates? didnt know that. cool.
2. He said it publicly. that is a start. Brett said he didnt know if Gb wanted him back!!! NOW HE F'NG KNOWS! It hasnt even been a week. It has been 3 days, and Favre has skipped meetings and press conferences. That is a hard son of a ***** to talk to, it sounds like.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I read an article that Brett and Bates hit it off real well. Favre loved his emotion and fire. My problem is that TT said he didn't even try to talk to him.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, players like a coach with emotion and fire, but some people disagree with that on this board.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, zero. they havent met once, ever. cuz someone else said it here and they cant be wrong.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it funny you people think TT and Favre arent talking now though. All the people who are complaining he is too business-like....but you believe mr. business man wont do business with favre? of course hes gonna contact him and discuss his status. Cant win with some of you.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand why people are making this assumption that Brett Favre is some kind of puppet being controlled by others, including Thompson.

He isn't a free agent and is under contract for next season. If he wants to come back he can just report to minicamp like everybody else. If he doesn't like the direction of the team he can retire.....or he could even ask for a trade elsewhere and I'm sure they'd accomodate him if that's what he wanted (I know he has repeatedly said that he's not interested in that).

The ball is in HIS court. Nobody is MAKING him do anything. Thompson has said "I'd like him back".

All this "black helicopter" conspiracy stuff about people manipulating poor Brett for their own evil agendas is almost laughable. Really, it is.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey Captain America...

What..you think people always do things above board and on the level?

Have you ever heard of the U.S. Gov't???

If not..i've got some land in Florida that I think you might be interested in...

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Hey Captain America...

Have you ever heard of the U.S. Gov't???

If not..i've got some land in Florida that I think you might be interested in...
:rules:
-Political threads, thoughts, comments etc.

Anyone responding to this post please do so with out reference to Political/Governmental points/topics etc. I don't want this thread turning.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Cheesey......biting his tongue........) ok.......Brett IS under contract, and it's up to him PERIOD if he WANTS to come back. The only way it would be someone else's decision is if TT CUT Brett.
All we can do is wait and see........hopefully, Favre will let us know either way soon, so the speculation will be over.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
C'mon Ryan..

that was as "generic" as can be...

Boy..people are touchy these days...!

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Hey Captain America...

I don't think people always do things above board and on the level. I'm well aware that some people don't, just like I'm aware that some people use sarcasm and insults to make themselves feel superior.

I believe people act in what they perceive as being their best interests. That would include Ted Thompson, that would include Favre. If Favre retires, it'll be because he thinks it's in his best interests, and if he returns to play out his contract it'll be for the same reason.

Likewise, if TT thinks it's in his best interests to "run off Favre" by doing something that Favre would find intolerable, then that's what he'll do. He hasn't done anything like that yet so I'm not so sure why everybody's so paranoid about it.

I do think that TT is not sitting around going "I'll do whatever Favre wants me to do". He's not going to hire a coach like Mariucci simply because Favre would like that, neither is he going to spend outrageous money on a guy like Steve Hutchinson because Favre would like that.

My best guess is that these guys will have a conversation and Favre will ask questions and TT will ask questions and then Favre will announce what he wants to do. If he leaves, it won't be because he was "forced out", it'll be because he doesn't want to be a part of what's going on in Green Bay right now. That's the way it is. My boss doesn't make decisions based on whether or not I agree with them and I don't think that TT is going to do that either.

TT will make his decisions. Favre will make his. It's a big boy place.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not gonna get into too much of a debate with someone who just gets to the forum and goes out of his way to support TT. I will say however that this is much more then a "BIG BOY PlACE".

This is The Greatest Organization in Football.

The way this particular decision regarding Brett is handled will have long lasting implications on how Green bay is looked at in the future and many people will see right through any phony retirement reasons.

For the sake of Green Bay and how this proud franchise is looked upon in the future I hope your right about Mr Tedd.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man..I can't believe how naive some of you guys are...

Amerika said...

"Likewise, if TT thinks it's in his best interests to "run off Favre" by doing something that Favre would find intolerable, then that's what he'll do. He hasn't done anything like that yet so I'm not so sure why everybody's so paranoid about it."

Well man..what do you call dismantling a whole team...signing a million rookies, and a reluctance to pursue talent in free agency?

That's worse than changing the entire offensive playbook...

I couldn't think of a better prescription that would run Favre right out of town and on to his tractor...or with another team....

Maybe the Vikings..so he could pummell TT's *** twice a year for a few years...or perhaps..the Bears...Do we hear the Detroit Lions anyone?

(As a matter of fact..if Favre signed with any of those teams..he would have a good chance of taking them to the show...because they all have better talent then the Pack right now!)

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Well man..what do you call dismantling a whole team...signing a million rookies, and a reluctance to pursue talent in free agency?

That's worse than changing the entire offensive playbook...

I couldn't think of a better prescription that would run Favre right out of town and on to his tractor...or with another team....

Maybe the Vikings..so he could pummell TT's *** twice a year for a few years...or perhaps..the Bears...Do we hear the Detroit Lions anyone?

(As a matter of fact..if Favre signed with any of those teams..he would have a good chance of taking them to the show...because they all have better talent then the Pack right now!)

Since when does firing the head coach equal dismantling the team? Reluctance to persue talent in free agancy? How is TT supposed to sign GOOD talented players when his back is against the cap wall. Remember, we're still paying Cledius Hunt, Joe Johnson, and Jamal Renalds. All of whom were singed to huge contracts by MIKE SHERMAN. So TT is forced to find talent in the draft and take chances on marginal verteran players, because right now those are the only types of players we can afford to bring in. Blame Mike Sherman for the lack of free agant talent, not Ted Thompson.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck 66

Show a little respect for a new poster here.

America makes some vaild points. His last post was his 5th.

He takes his time and is not a one line poster, his thoughts are well thought out and he is an easy read.

The fact that you spell his log in name INCORRECT on purpose is a silly judgement you have made about him based on your personal challenges.

For you to spell our new contributors log on name with a "K" as in AmariKa instead of the name he has chosen AMERICA is rather silly.

Give the guy a little respect.

How would you like it if someone resonded to your posts by typing... Puss66

I would not blame America if he read you response and moved on to another forum. He would say... what a waste of time the Packer Forum is becuase all I did was contribute my opinion in a non trolling way but they have people there that are trashing me and dis-respecting me from the git-go.

RP

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok..RP..ok..point taken...

maybe i'll just say "Amorica"..in deference to the Black Crowes then...how's that..?

Puss66..that's funny...dat's a good one...i'm not offended...

AMERICA said...
"All this "black helicopter" conspiracy stuff about people manipulating poor Brett for their own evil agendas is almost laughable. Really, it is."

Well maybe i thought he was making fun of us black helicopter theorists...and so be it...But it was DePack's theory originally...and i don't see him wearin' shiny tinfoil on his head...at least not at the meetings...

but it's not a "conspiracy"...actually it's common sense and is basic human psychology...

TT knows he can't "force" Brett to retire...but maybe he doesn't really want him around either. He also doesn't want the remnants of MS's team around as well..He wants to build his own ship from scratch...Soooo...

How can he do this and maybe get Favre to retire in the process?

By doing what he is doing....dismantling the team..not pursuing free agents...signing only drafted rookies...

Now..monkeyracer...I don't know if TT is going to do this for a fact..but..I have heard it from quite a few sources that this is his MO...

(and it makes me wonder if this is why Harlan brought him in to GB in the first place....hmmmmmm...?? and it makes wonder..ohhhh oh oh oh ohhh....)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66

Good Post. Great insight... And I fear you are right.

It makes me wonder too if this is why Harlan brought him in as well.

You know this is an organization there is a top down mentality.

I love Brett as almost as much as you do.... But change is never easy.

RP

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think favre is being forced out in any way, not in a subtle way, a cheap way, or a blatant way. If it happens, and its documented, I will be wrong, till then...speculation is fun!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quit the conspiracy theories. Apparently some posters do not know much about Green Bay Packer franchise . Packer organization knows Brett Favre is the best chance for the Green Bay Packers to field a winning team in '06.. That is the only reason there is a Packer team is to field a winning football team and win a Super Bowl . The Packers don't always accomplishment the big goal, no team does. Packers have won 12 NFL championships, most of any franchise in NFL. Brett Favre retiring or not and Mike Sherman being fired by Packer GM have nothing to do with each other. They are serparate issues. Brett Favre is a man and he will go out under his own conditions. Everybody is the Packer organization has said so. after last Sunday Favre has went home to MS. to be with his family. Thomspon and Favre will get together in a few weeks for a meeting. In meantime Ted Thompson will have meetings with prosective Head coaches for this franchise, so he can hire a new HC quickly as possible. Prior to the end of the year, Ted Thompson was on the road scouting college players in preparation fot the '06 draft. He also had a desk full of paper work waiting for him when he gott back from scouting trip. Remember he is in full charge of football operations of the Green bay Packers. Brett Favre knows the Packers want him back and Packers wish to know as quickly as possible if he will back in '06. but they will not rush him. After the '05 draft it has been the Packers wish that he play at least two years or more. They think it will be at least two years for Aaron Rodgers will be ready to be a starting QB in NFL. Of coarse, know one really knows how successful Rodgers will be until he has few years of starting in NFL "under his belt". It took Drew Breez until his third year to be a good QB in NFL.Bart Starr took four years before he became a starting QB for "glory years Packers" of 60's.. Johnny Unitias, great Baltimore QB of 50's & 60's was cut from Summer training camp his rookie year and played sandlot football in Pittsburgh, before being aked the following season to come to Baltimore Colts training camp. Many college QBs have not made in NFL. Prime example Ryan Leaf!! some of the Packer fan posters need take a deep breath and relax.It's going to be an intersting off seaon and hectic '06 football season. Hopefully a winning one. Time will tell, it always does!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts