Pennington Better Deep Ball Than Favre?

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/ ... long-ball/

CHAD BETTER THAN BRETT ON THE LONG BALL?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2008, 11:44 p.m. EDT

On Saturday, Jets quarterback Brett Favre addressed the perception that his predecessor, Chad Pennington, has an arm like a limp, um, noodle.

“I think every time I’ve faced Chad, I’ve lost,” Favre said. “He’s played extremely well. . . . In Green Bay a couple of years ago, he played outstanding. I have nothing but the highest regard for Chad. [He is an] extremely bright guy. The knock on him was his arm wasn’t that strong. So what? I can throw it through a wall, but I don’t win every game I play in. It doesn’t matter. He’s very effective.”

Favre likely doesn’t realize just how right on the money he is. Per Tim Graham of ESPN.com, the Elias Sports Bureau has crunched the numbers for quarterbacks based on attempts of more than 20 yards over the past four years.

Pennington’s passer rating on such plays? A whopping 107.7. Favre, in contrast, falls nearly four points south of the Kordoza line, at 66.9.

Due in part to the fact that Favre has played in 64 games as opposed to 40 from Pennington, Favre has 290 attempts of more than 20 yards, and Pennington has only 108. But Pennington has thrown only four interceptions on 20-plus-yard attempts. Favre has chucked 35.

Favre also is accurate in his perception of never beating Pennington. In 2002, the Jets trounced the Packers, 42-17. Pennington threw four touchdown passes and finished the day with a passer rating of 134.7. In 2006, Pennington was less effective, throwing two touchdown passes and two picks. But the Jets nevertheless trounced the Packers, 38-10.

Favre managed a passer rating of only 61.7 in the 2002 game against Pennington and the Jets. Favre was even worse in 2006, with a dreadful passer rating of 53.0.

For his career, Favre was 1-3 against the Jets. All time, the Packers have beaten the Jets twice, and have lost to them eight times.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Favres picks on those 20+ passes were on those types of plays where he would just heave it up and whatever happened happened. It isn't a bad thing, but most of the time those plays weren't very crucial, however there were times when they were.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of Brett Favre and long passes, I think of the MNF game after his dad died. And I think of the Monday night Bronco game last year. But I also think of Favre just dropping back, and whipping it up in the air...not to any particular reciever...just kind of throwing it down field...and hopefully someone comes up with it lol

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
When I think of Brett Favre and long passes, I think of the MNF game after his dad died. And I think of the Monday night Bronco game last year. But I also think of Favre just dropping back, and whipping it up in the air...not to any particular reciever...just kind of throwing it down field...and hopefully someone comes up with it lol

thats what i think of too. He's cut that down almost to nothing in the last 2 years though. I only remember the Cowboys game last year and once or twice in the redskins game this past year him doing it.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
agopackgo4 said:

thats what i think of too. He's cut that down almost to nothing in the last 2 years though. I only remember the Cowboys game last year and once or twice in the redskins game this past year him doing it.
I wish I remembered the Cowboy game from last year...Damn NFL Network

I am pretty young..18..And when Favre was younger I watched the games, but I didnt pay attention to details. Has Favre improved in that department from when he started? Or has he gone backwards? I remember him throwing some deep bombs when I was a little guy. In the superbowl in '96 and his comeback win in his first game. Did he used to throw deep often?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(hahahahahahahaha...)

You Favre haters really have to dig deep, don't you?

Favre = HOF

Pennington and TT = Destined for Obscurity

(That's all that matters...)

packedhouse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how the Jets fans and the coach are going to handle Brett when he gets frustrated and just throws one up in the air and he gets intercepted? As much as I loved watching Brett play I used to ***** like crazy when he's throw one of those wild one's. I can still remember saying, "Brett make the right play, you don't have to make the great play." I can't wait until mid season and hear what the Jets fans have to say about him.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
flapackfan said:
agopackgo4 said:

I am pretty young..18..And when Favre was younger I watched the games, but I didnt pay attention to details. Has Favre improved in that department from when he started? Or has he gone backwards? I remember him throwing some deep bombs when I was a little guy. In the superbowl in '96 and his comeback win in his first game. Did he used to throw deep often?

He was like that early on in his first 2-3 years but he cut it out until around 2004 or so when our receiving talent level dropped significantly. But for the most part, when he was making wild throws into tripple coverage, it was usually in a situation where it was a 3rd & 12, with the Packers trailing big and no running game. It's not like we were leading games and Favre chucked up hail marys and blew games. I would say that most of his bad interceptions were in situations where we were down big and had no shot of winning really.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
agopackgo4 said:

He was like that early on in his first 2-3 years but he cut it out until around 2004 or so when our receiving talent level dropped significantly. But for the most part, when he was making wild throws into tripple coverage, it was usually in a situation where it was a 3rd & 12, with the Packers trailing big and no running game. It's not like we were leading games and Favre chucked up hail marys and blew games. I would say that most of his bad interceptions were in situations where we were down big and had no shot of winning really. He had a bunch of int's one year when he played with a broken thumb on his throwing hand.

Anyone who is unbiased should look at his career statistics and dont even look at 2005 or 2006. These were rebuilding years where the guy was given no tools to succeed. I believe 1999 was the year he had either the broken thumb or the shoulder/elbow injury. If you take those three seasons for what they were and look at the rest, the wild gunslinger label doesnt really fit.

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fins-jets will definitely be an interesting match up this year, I think the season series will end up split.

OP
OP
C

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
I believe 1999 was the year he had either the broken thumb or the shoulder/elbow injury. If you take those three seasons for what they were and look at the rest, the wild gunslinger label doesnt really fit.

Ok, I will take out 99, 05, and 06.

2007: Season ending INT
2004: 4 interceptions at home in the playoffs. I was at that game. Gunslinging galore
2003: Javon punt INT to end the season
2002: Playoff meltdown vs. ATL (7 POINTS????)
1998: 2 interceptions vs SF in playoffs
1997: 2 TOs in SB, didnt deliver in last drive
1996: Spectacular season (with the #1 offense, defense, and ST)
1995: Season ending INT into triple coverage @ dallas
1994: Fantastic statistical season; ended with 0 TD 1 INT performance in playoffs
1993: 24 interceptions
1992: Solid season

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chevelle2 said:
^Like the 95 championship?

Those early 90's Cowboys were the most dominant team ever built. Watching them play the current era Patriots would be a treat but i'd take the Cowboys. They had 5 probowlers on the O-line, Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Novacek, loaded defenses, home field advantage. Still, Favre had 3td's and 2 int's and kept them in the game with ZERO running threat. I mean, Aikman has Emmit who busts off 150 yards and Favre gets a bad O-line and 45 rushing yards. He played like the mvp he was and brought us back twice but the Cowboys were relentless and scored every time keeping the pressure on him.

But go ahead, blame Favre for it if you like :)

OP
OP
C

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
Chevelle2 said:
^Like the 95 championship?

Those early 90's Cowboys were the most dominant team ever built. Watching them play the current era Patriots would be a treat but i'd take the Cowboys. They had 5 probowlers on the O-line, Aikman, Irvin, Smith, Novacek, loaded defenses, forum field advantage. Still, Favre had 3td's and 2 int's and kept them in the game with ZERO running threat. I mean, Aikman has Emmit who busts off 150 yards and Favre gets a bad O-line and 45 rushing yards. He played like the mvp he was and brought us back twice but the Cowboys were relentless and scored every time keeping the pressure on him.

Chmura was open in the flat for a 4 yard gain.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chevelle2 said:
flapackfan said:
I believe 1999 was the year he had either the broken thumb or the shoulder/elbow injury. If you take those three seasons for what they were and look at the rest, the wild gunslinger label doesnt really fit.

Ok, I will take out 99, 05, and 06.

2007: Season ending INT
2004: 4 interceptions at forum in the playoffs. I was at that game. Gunslinging galore
2003: Javon punt INT to end the season
2002: Playoff meltdown vs. ATL (7 POINTS????)
1998: 2 interceptions vs SF in playoffs
1997: 2 TOs in SB, didnt deliver in last drive
1996: Spectacular season (with the #1 offense, defense, and ST)
1995: Season ending INT into triple coverage @ dallas
1994: Fantastic statistical season; ended with 0 TD 1 INT performance in playoffs
1993: 24 interceptions
1992: Solid season

Without doing much research and just using my memory. One throw does not make a season.

You discount his 2007 runner up mvp season because of a pick. How did Tom Brady play against the team we almost beat? I already discussed 1995. 1994, young player vs the Cowboys. They outclassed us in every aspect.

1997 - Terell Davis beat us, not Favre. Our defense couldnt stop a one dimensional team since elway played like crap that day.

1998 - If i recall correctly, that was the game T.O. caught a last second bomb from steve young. A little help defense?

2003 - 4th & 26 anyone? Does anything else need to be said? If our defense doesnt have one of the biggest breakdowns in playoff history, we win the game.

2004 - We were down 17 zip right away. Game was pretty much over at that point. Randy Moss owned our corners and Moe Williams killed us too. After watching Cullpepper post Moss, i'm starting to realize how amazing Moss really is. Too bad we couldnt get a guy like that :)

I will be fair. You missed 2001 where he threw 6 int's vs the rams in the playoffs. That was gunslinger galore :)

The point is this. You can look at EVERY quarterback and show a long history of playoff failures or seasons that ended in failure. You know why, cuz only one team wins it all. Peyton Manning has 9 seasons he didnt win the superbowl. How many season ending games does Marino, Aikman, Young, Elway, Montana, etc. They all have bad last games of the year. If they didnt, they would have won the superbowl. And nobody wins it every year. I'm serious, why dont you look at a Manning breakdown. I have not, but i'm sure it's not pretty either.

OP
OP
C

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is this. You can look at EVERY quarterback and show a long history of playoff failures or seasons that ended in failure.

Brady? Montana?

Peyton Manning has 9 seasons he didnt win the superbowl.

Favre hasn't won one in 11.

If i recall correctly, that was the game T.O. caught a last second bomb from steve young. A little help defense?

It was Stokes idiot. Favre threw 2 touchdowns. Young? 3.

OP
OP
C

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were down 17 zip right away.

What no one has come back from a 17 point deficit before? I doubt a INT on the second drive helped

You cannot win with 4 INTERCEPTIONS.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chevelle2 said:
If i recall correctly, that was the game T.O. caught a last second bomb from steve young. A little help defense?

It was Stokes idiot. Favre threw 2 touchdowns. Young? 3.
It WAS Owens. You really thought it was stokes? Wow. That has been replayed like 5,000,000 times and you did not know it was Owens. Unreal. Oh, and does calling people names on a message board make you feel tough?

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/ind ... t-wc-gb-sf

OP
OP
C

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before you call me an idiot which is really mature by the way, get your facts straight. Call the people at profootball reference and call them an idiot because according to them, it was Owens with 3 seconds left in the game. Well done defense, 25 yard td on last play of the game. I guess if Favre was a real man and not an idiot, he would have been playing safety on that play.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 030sfo.htm

Yes, Brady and Montana too. Go ahead, check their final games each season. They dont win the superbowl every season. Even they had sub par games to end their seasons some times. Stop acting like only Favre chokes. Also smart guy, my example was not meant to say Favre was better than Elway, Marino, etc. It was used only to show that all qb's, even the best of the best dont succeed every time and in fact, they choke most of the time unless they win the superbowl.

Favre hasnt won it in 11 years. Marino never won, Young got one, manning has one, Elway had zero and was the biggest choke artist in the playoffs until Terell Davis came aboard. These guys are nationally recognized to be the best to ever play and even they have many failures.

Also, if you're going to be rude to me and call me names (especially when you dont know what you're talking about) Chevelle, dont talk to me. Otherwise, i just wont respond to you.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was Owens lol, he dropped a bunch of passes then caught the TD and then cried because he was so happy afterwards. That play and the 4th and 26 play were nearly identical, Sharper was playing too deep and they split the linebackers and safeties.

starr15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pennington may have a better deep ball than favre but Brett favre is more consistent

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts