Penn State

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just ******* sickening.

I never was a fan of Penn State, but I had respect of them as a team.

Honestly, let's be honest, Joe Paterno should have retired years ago. I know he won 2 Championships, and they talk like he's the greatest coach ever, but I think the game has passed him up big time. Great coach in his prime, but he never was the greatest college coach of all time, he don't even come close to Bear Bryant. Had the Bear had that much time that Joe has, I'm sure he would have hit 400 wins, and probably would have won more National Championships. Paterno reminds me of Bobby Bowden from Florida State, also a great coach in his prime, but the game had passed him up big time by the end of his career.

The whole scandal at Penn State makes them look like the Catholic Church, it's really sickening.

For one thing, I do believe that Joe should have reported the incident when it happened. Now he claims he did after he was retired. They kept this hush hush for so long, and the aftermath has really cast a black cloud on Joe's career. He should have did more than he did, but now Penn State will never be looked at the same, especially after those kids got out there and rioted. He's throwing it everywhere now saying he told the school board or what ever, but if they didn't do anything, anyone else would have went to the police, or at least I would have, but he's different than me. I'm a big mouth, I would have raised hell over it.

I do not agree with taking wins away. They have discussed this, and I did not agree with it when they did that to USC over Reggie Bush, I have NEVER agreed with them taking away National Championships, and if they do, I think it's wrong, because that's something the kids earned as a team, and despite the coaching staff, you are taking that away from the kids. Like Reggie Bush, they totally stripped him and the team, taking it away from everyone.
Thing is that we always liked and respected Joe Paterno.
We never would have imagined in our wildest dreams that he would do something so wrong as to not report something to proper authorities that he should have.
This thing does tarnish his reputation as well as the school.
It's just sad all around. For the school, the predator who did it, for Joe and especially the victims.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What, is God getting him back or something?

Unless Bear Bryant demanded it from God or something.

No.....Meaning "someone" didnt want to get this to blow up until he got the records for wins....They didnt want to school to have to deal with this while celebrating the most wins....

This has been known since for a while now, and grand jury was last year? But it just comes 2 weeks after the win?

Fishy to me

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Thing is that we always liked and respected Joe Paterno.
We never would have imagined in our wildest dreams that he would do something so wrong as to not report something to proper authorities that he should have.
This thing does tarnish his reputation as well as the school.
It's just sad all around. For the school, the predator who did it, for Joe and especially the victims.

I agree, I respected him for being around so long, but now I don't know how to look at him. They look like the Catholic Church right now, it's just downright sickening.

But one thing, those kids out there rioting and flipping over vehicles to make idiots of themselves, that is just ignorance. That's going to be money coming out of mommy and daddy's wallets, while that just makes the school look even more worse.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
What, is God getting him back or something?

Unless Bear Bryant demanded it from God or something.

Joe was a good coach, but in no way will he ever be as good as Bear Bryant. I think everyone in AL knows that. Joe could have won 1,000 regular season games, but this stat is the only thing that matters.
Bryant - 6 National Championships
Paterno - 2 National Championships

I see them argue how Joe is "better" than the Bear over on ESPN forums a lot and they never can answer the national championship fact.

D

Dan115

It would of just followed him to Florida when it came out. His name would of been drug through the mud no matter where he was at. Guilty by association.
Joe could have retired 20 years ago in his 60's. He arrived at Penn St in 1950.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Paterno is a class act and a great coach, and nothing should change that legacy, unfortunately this whole nasty mess has the potential to shame the name of a guy who had nothing to do with the allegations.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Paterno is a class act and a great coach, and nothing should change that legacy, unfortunately this whole nasty mess has the potential to shame the name of a guy who had nothing to do with the allegations.

:tdown::speechless:

Class act!!!!??? That's too funny.

ol' geezer cared more about his metamucil pills than the well being of kids.

Old piece of Sh*t!!!

He got what he deserved.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I respected him for being around so long, but now I don't know how to look at him. They look like the Catholic Church right now, it's just downright sickening.

But one thing, those kids out there rioting and flipping over vehicles to make idiots of themselves, that is just ignorance. That's going to be money coming out of mommy and daddy's wallets, while that just makes the school look even more worse.
I don't know how parents would be paying for any damage caused by the riots?
If those who are responsible are found out, for say breaking a shop window, are they really billed for it?
I would think taxes and insurance would cover such things.
Insurance on the news van may cover for any damage and maybe the towing fee for getting it back upright.

With the students protesting, they make it look like they are defending Joe and that they are OK with him not reporting the incident.
I support their right to protest this or that but they should support the victims by simply being quiet. Or holding candlelight vigils for them.
They shouldn't be showing support for those who didn't do anything about it.
That's sorta the thing with Joe. He can't do any wrong in certain eyes.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Insurance on the news van may cover for any damage and maybe the towing fee for getting it back upright.

You are right about some who did and still do think that Paterno can do no wrong, but I have to wonder if you have insurance on anything.
Yeah, insurance may pay up front, but those who are committed the acts are ultimately responsible and most insurance companies will pursue them. Do you really think the insurance companies are going to pay up and then just roll over an play dead? Not on your life. Even if they don't recover from the responsible students you can rest assured that premiums will skyrocket.
Furthermore, every insurance policy I have ever had and have ever read has an exclusion for "intentional acts" which this would be, so they may even deny coverage right up front. Frankly, I am happy about that. The same is true for taxes paying for it. I don't want to pay any part of it. I don't even agree with their protest. Those who did this need to man-up, accept responsibility, and foot the bill for it. As college students it is about time that they learn a little bit about personal responsibility and adulthood.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right about some who did and still do think that Paterno can do no wrong, but I have to wonder if you have insurance on anything.
Yeah, insurance may pay up front, but those who are committed the acts are ultimately responsible and most insurance companies will pursue them. Do you really think the insurance companies are going to pay up and then just roll over an play dead? Not on your life. Even if they don't recover from the responsible students you can rest assured that premiums will skyrocket.
Furthermore, every insurance policy I have ever had and have ever read has an exclusion for "intentional acts" which this would be, so they may even deny coverage right up front. Frankly, I am happy about that. The same is true for taxes paying for it. I don't want to pay any part of it. I don't even agree with their protest. Those who did this need to man-up, accept responsibility, and foot the bill for it. As college students it is about time that they learn a little bit about personal responsibility and adulthood.
I appreciate your clarification on this.
And I agree with your opinion/concept that those who did the damage should be the ones who pay.
But if they are not caught, then who does? You don't think insurance would cover it. So it comes out of the pocket of the victim of the damage?
And if caught, then how would they make the perp. pay? Threaten jail time if they don't?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Sad to say, yes. If they don't identify them it is the victim who suffers further. If they are caught, part of the criminal process is restitution. That being said, it is unlikely that they would have enough money/assets to pay for it anyway so, in the end, it is most likely that the victims will "foot the bill" for the damage done by the protesters. (Although they may sue the University for not providing sufficient security to prevent the damage).

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't know how parents would be paying for any damage caused by the riots?
If those who are responsible are found out, for say breaking a shop window, are they really billed for it?

With the students protesting, they make it look like they are defending Joe and that they are OK with him not reporting the incident.
I support their right to protest this or that but they should support the victims by simply being quiet. Or holding candlelight vigils for them.
They shouldn't be showing support for those who didn't do anything about it.
That's sorta the thing with Joe. He can't do any wrong in certain eyes.

I know, they probably take his side over there, but the protesting is crazy.

Well I can believe he did wrong, because it's been thrown in every media outlet for 2 weeks now. Now Florida State fans want them to pay the price and lose wins so Bobby Bowden will be restored as the all time regular season wins for a coach lol. I have never agreed with removing wins, but I am shocked how far people still carry that conversation. Look at USC, was Reggie Bush worth all that trouble? I'm pretty sure Cam Newton was paid under the table too. But when you take away championships like that, you don't take it from one person, you take it from the entire team. The entire team has to suffer for one person.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, they probably take his side over there, but the protesting is crazy.

Well I can believe he did wrong, because it's been thrown in every media outlet for 2 weeks now. Now Florida State fans want them to pay the price and lose wins so Bobby Bowden will be restored as the all time regular season wins for a coach lol. I have never agreed with removing wins, but I am shocked how far people still carry that conversation. Look at USC, was Reggie Bush worth all that trouble? I'm pretty sure Cam Newton was paid under the table too. But when you take away championships like that, you don't take it from one person, you take it from the entire team. The entire team has to suffer for one person.
Right.

I know that the Penn State football team is not to blame for all this, but dammit, I can't help it. I want to see them lose.
I guess it gives me a sense of instant justice even though with them winning or losing really has no meaning to the real world. It doesn't do anything for the victims.

I have a feeling that if found guilty on all charges and counts Sandusky will be put away for life.
Interestingly he wrote an autobiography which includes his work with the kids.
The name of the book?
Touched.

Was there ever a time in our nation's history when celebs/sports figures (The likes of Phil Spector, OJ) never did anything that warranted serious jail time?
Or has this always been the norm?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Right.

I know that the Penn State football team is not to blame for all this, but dammit, I can't help it. I want to see them lose.
I guess it gives me a sense of instant justice even though with them winning or losing really has no meaning to the real world. It doesn't do anything for the victims.

I have a feeling that if found guilty on all charges and counts Sandusky will be put away for life.
Interestingly he wrote an autobiography which includes his work with the kids.
The name of the book?
Touched.

Was there ever a time in our nation's history when celebs/sports figures (The likes of Phil Spector, OJ) never did anything that warranted serious jail time?
Or has this always been the norm?

He wrote a book? See this stuff shouldn't have went on so long.

Joe Paterno knew about it, and did not go to the police, and now he pays the price too.

Maybe if Sandusky was involved with them beating Miami in the National Championship, then they'll take that away, even though I don't agree with it. I hated that Championship though. Heisman Trophy winner tosses 5 INT's to lose the game, never thought Testeverde would do anything in the NFL after he left Tampa Bay.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wrote a book? See this stuff shouldn't have went on so long.
Yeah. I somehow came across it on Amazon where it is now unavailable.

Apparently a reporter feels the same way I do about the title.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/jerry_sandusky_autobiography_t.html

If he hadn't done what he did then the last three paragraphs would seem normal.
I'd like to think he means them in a non-preditor sort of way, but since he has been accused, who knows?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too little, too late.

I think lawsuits are going to rain down on Penn State.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we've only begun to scratch the surface of this sickening scandal. :tdown:
If Penn State is smart they will pay hush money to the victims family to avoid a day in court.
If the victim's families are smart, they will seek to have all of this brought out in court to get the whole story out to the world as well as to get more money than an out of court settlement.
Either way, Penn State loses because no matter what they do, they look guilty. They turned the other way as if nothing was going on and gave access to the creep to their facilities so he could do what he did.
I hope they go bankrupt and have to close. I really do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Penn state investigated after the 1st mom complained, and told Sandusky to not shower with boys again and he agreed...

If I was the family of that very next boy he abused, I would be pounding on the doors of the people who had that investigation...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Penn state investigated after the 1st mom complained, and told Sandusky to not shower with boys again and he agreed...

If I was the family of that very next boy he abused, I would be pounding on the doors of the people who had that investigation...
Or the police station.

As others have pointed out, this is just like the Catholic Church. It is a powerful institution run by powerful men who, I think, did all they could to keep it hushed up.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if those in charge are not only embarrassed but also afraid. Afraid of the tarnished reputation that will keep donors away.
What I really don't get is why action wasn't taken sooner.
The Atty. Gen., who is now the governor and a member of the Penn State Board of Trustees, was investigating this back in 2009. They should have done something a lot, lot sooner than wait another two years possibly giving Sandusky more time with more victims.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It gets weirder/creepier.
You know that Sandusky is now out on bail. And apparently it's a bail that he would have to pay only if he doesn't show up in court.
He also lives near an elementary school.
And there is a rumor that he was spotted shopping in a store.
The name of the store?
****'s Sporting Goods.
How appropriate.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It gets weirder/creepier.
You know that Sandusky is now out on bail. And apparently it's a bail that he would have to pay only if he doesn't show up in court.
He also lives near an elementary school.
And there is a rumor that he was spotted shopping in a store.
The name of the store?
****'s Sporting Goods.
How appropriate.

He shouldn't be out in public. McQuery already had to go into protective custody because of death threats, can you imagine what people might do to Sandusky if they saw him out in public?

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King this morning: (cnnsi.com)

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me

In April 2005, Centre County (Pa.) district attorney Ray Gricar, who decided not to bring child-assault charges against Jerry Sandusky after an incident with a young boy in 1998, disappeared without a trace in Pennsylvania and has never been heard from since. His car was found in Lewisburg, Pa., near the Susquehanna River, and his laptop computer was found in the river.

In May 1996, Gricar's brother Roy, who lived in southwest Ohio, disappeared not long after being fired from his job in Dayton. His body was found days later in the Great Miami River. His car was found parked near the Great Miami River, and authorities ruled his death a suicide.

I don't know what that means. I just find it a horribly bizarre coincidence -- I think. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts