Penalty for spiking the ball??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL | Committee will propose penalizing players who spike the ball
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:30:23 -0700

Chris Pika, of AtlantaFalcons.com, reports the NFL's Competition Committee will propose penalizing players who spike or throw the ball after plays on the field. Touchdowns will not be subject to the proposed five-yard penalty.

" This is an issue that has really shown itself in the last two years where it seems like every play -- whether a three-yard gain or a 15-yarder -- results in a player stepping up and spiking the ball," Atlanta Falcons general manager and committee co-chairman Rich McKay said.

If a player spiked the ball after gaining a first down, the ball would be moved back five yards but it will still be first-and-10.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting to get a little strict if you ask me, even thought I can understand this issue

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The No Fun League exerts their power again...
My feelings exactly.
I think they should stop keeping score too.
The team that loses always gets their poor little feelings hurt.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
omg, how much more ridiculous can they get? I am SHOCKED that they haven't tried to ban the Lambeau Leap yet, but I guess they look at it as tradition and they'd have a lot of problems if they did try :twisted:

But still, this is purely ridiculous

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any problem with this at all. Why do players need to spike the ball anywhere short of the endzone?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have any problem with this at all. Why do players need to spike the ball anywhere short of the endzone?
I can understand it..............but it's a slippery slope. They keep "banning" more and more things every year it seems. Why not just do like they did in the OLD days, and LET THE GUYS PLAY!!! If someone spikes the ball, it gives the opposition even MORE reason to try to beat the guys that are
"in your facing" it to them. To me, it keeps rivalrys going strong.
When there is no longer any emotion from the players, whats the fun of playing?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there is a similar rule in hockey. If you shoot the puck after the whistle you get a two minute penalty. It is a was to keep emotions from getting out of hand. Also, it takes the officials longer to retrieve the ball for the next play.

I think it kind of addresses the attitudes in general. I for one, am extrememly sick of all these antics after a average or decent play. Although I love Barnett, I hatge watching him do his sammuri thing when he makes a tackle while we are two or three touchdowns down. It is self promoting, "look at me! aren't I great!" in a team game.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there is a similar rule in hockey. If you shoot the puck after the whistle you get a two minute penalty. It is a was to keep emotions from getting out of hand. Also, it takes the officials longer to retrieve the ball for the next play.

I think it kind of addresses the attitudes in general. I for one, am extrememly sick of all these antics after a average or decent play. Although I love Barnett, I hatge watching him do his sammuri thing when he makes a tackle while we are two or three touchdowns down. It is self promoting, "look at me! aren't I great!" in a team game.
To me though, that should be addressed by the player's coach, not the NFL commitee. Let HIM get his guys under control if the celebrating goes too far. We don't need more "rules" and penalties to get this taken care of, let the coaches handle player behaviour.
I always loved it when Gilbert Brown would do his "grave digger" routine. And Barnett should NOT be celebrating when his team is down. But i like it when we are ahead.
I just see it as over kill by the NFL to penalize EVERYTHING they don't like. Pro football is gonna end up more like watching "ballet" then a contact sport by the time they are done with all their rules.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Cheesey.
Let the coaching staff handle it.
Sit the offender down and show him film clips of Barry Sanders handing the ref the ball after an 80 yard mind boggling TD run.
The NFL heirarchy should not try to legislate everything.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:
My feelings exactly.

In this case, I disagree with you guys. I think the ball should only be spiked on TDs.

Celebrating for a first down is stupid. Is a player's self-esteem so low that he's got to celebrate after a first down? Come on.

Now, I'm all for end zone celebrations. We need to bring those back. But the trend nowadays is to celebrate every little stupid thing a player does.

Get a first down, keep the ball moving until you get into the end zone. Then you celebrate. Anything else is equivalent to premature ***********.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

To me though, that should be addressed by the player's coach, not the NFL commitee. Let HIM get his guys under control if the celebrating goes too far. We don't need more "rules" and penalties to get this taken care of, let the coaches handle player behaviour.
I always loved it when Gilbert Brown would do his "grave digger" routine. And Barnett should NOT be celebrating when his team is down. But i like it when we are ahead.
I just see it as over kill by the NFL to penalize EVERYTHING they don't like. Pro football is gonna end up more like watching "ballet" then a contact sport by the time they are done with all their rules.

Currently it is being addressed by the coaches...and apparently not to the league's level of appropriateness.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
gopackgo said:
My feelings exactly.

In this case, I disagree with you guys. I think the ball should only be spiked on TDs.

Celebrating for a first down is stupid. Is a player's self-esteem so low that he's got to celebrate after a first down? Come on.

Now, I'm all for end zone celebrations. We need to bring those back. But the trend nowadays is to celebrate every little stupid thing a player does.

Get a first down, keep the ball moving until you get into the end zone. Then you celebrate. Anything else is equivalent to premature ***********.
I'm not saying i AGREE with the first down celebration, i'm saying the NFL shouldn't penalize a team because of it.
If they want, go ahead and FINE the player that does it, but don't put a penalty on a TEAM because of some guy acting out.
Barry Sanders handled it right. He just handed the ball to the ref.

And Trippster..........like i said, i don't agree with the over amount of celebrations. I just don't like the NFL always putting it's heavy hand into everything the players do.
I know spiking the ball in the FACE of another player is a penalty. which i can understand. If it's done just to be a jerk, i can see them trying to control it.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'll probably get lambasted for this. But if I was a ref, I'd be pissed at having to chase the freaking ball after every play. I find it disrespectful to the refs unless it's a TD.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'll probably get lambasted for this. But if I was a ref, I'd be pissed at having to chase the freaking ball after every play. I find it disrespectful to the refs unless it's a TD.

bingo. That is how I feel before a give someone a penalty for shooting the puck away from me.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hammer said:

bingo. That is how I feel before a give someone a penalty for shooting the puck away from me.
I think MOST of them would want to keep the PUCK away from you Trippster!!!
LOLOLOL!!! (Hey Tripp......i STILL got it!!!)LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:agree:

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammer said:

:agree:
Hammer I dont think you will get blasted at all..

I never heard your take on it mentioned EVER..It seems like no one ever thinks of it that way

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man. I guess it pays to read, I thought this was for touchdowns. Still, I don't mind players celebrating, although the NFL is much more extreme in their celebrations than any other sport. Barnett's antics don't bother me as long as it doesn't affect his play. Some people have a problem with Agent Zero and his celebrations but I think that most players are letting out emotion and channeling that adrenaline.

Although I do agree spiking the ball is wrong, I feel like the NFL bans way more than necessary. Isn't the Mile High Salute banned? Simply because it involves two players?

Members online

Latest posts