Paul Hornung gets raw deal

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated just released their "greatest players by number" list. I can't believe they put Donovan McNabb ahead of Paul Hornung for the greatest number 5. Are they kidding? Hornung could play Quarterback, Running back and Kicker. He was a part of several championships. They called him "The Golden Boy". McNabb hasn't won the big game yet, nor is he near as well rounded an athlete. I thing Hornung got a raw deal. Am I all wet?

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paul was Lombardi's favorite player, for sakes alive!

McNabb ahead of Hornung? lol

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Apparently they got ignoramuses working for S.I. One more reason to only buy the swimsuit edition.

McNabb ahead of Hornung is a joke! or a Philly fan created the list. I'll take Hornung over 3 Donovan McInaccurates. Seems like for every 1 accurate pass Donovan throws two lame ducks.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Also Hornung played with a busted up knee the last year or two and served in the military. Last time I checked Donovan was on the sideline with a sprained ankle, poor baby.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Sports Illustrated just released their "greatest players by number" list. I can't believe they put Donovan McNabb ahead of Paul Hornung for the greatest number 5. Are they kidding? Hornung could play Quarterback, Running back and Kicker. He was a part of several championships. They called him "The Golden Boy". McNabb hasn't won the big game yet, nor is he near as well rounded an athlete. I thing Hornung got a raw deal. Am I all wet?
Who is Donovan McNabb? Id call it a shame, but its clearly bullsh*t...Something is up with sports writers lately...?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there is definitely a bias to the East. All of the writers use the Yankees' number of World Series titles as evidence of their greatness, but then forget about all the NFL Championships won before the NFL/AFL merger by declaring the greatness of the Steelers. Hornung is one of the many casualties of such shortsightedness.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that.

Not only Hornung, but Don Hutson. I understand that Otto Graham was great, but not only Hutson was the greatest Wr of all time, but Graham is listed 2 times! They could've easily put Hutson at the #14.

And McNabb is a bad joke. No more needs to be said.

Also think that Rod Woodson ahead of Adderley is wrong, but that I can understand...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took LaDainian Thompson 16 games in 2006 to break Hornung's 1960 single season scoring record of 176 points, which no. 5 did in 12 games. 15 touchdowns, 15 field goals, 41 extra points.

Ranking any other no. 5 greater than Golden Boy is ludicrous.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say it the way it is...that writer for SI knows about as much about football as he knows about fornicating.

Hornung scored 176 points by himself during a 12 game schedule in 1960. No end of the year play off games, no extra championship games...that was a year away.

He was more than a triple threat player...he could run, kick, pass, block & catch...that makes him the one and only quintuple threat player I have ever heard of... oh and don't forget he was a 4 down player...and this was in the day of 35 man rosters! Donovan who?

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are some PC reasons for putting McNabb in front of Hornung.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McNab is a below average qb. Thats it. And for all the Packers have given football. We will never see them get the respect they deserve. I mean really.. Jerry Kramer is STILL not in the HoF. Thats insane.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McNab is a below average qb. Thats it. And for all the Packers have given football. We will never see them get the respect they deserve. I mean really.. Jerry Kramer is STILL not in the HoF. Thats insane.

Below avg? Now thats just hating.

He is one of the least intercepted QBs of all time, and was always in the NFC championship.

Members online

Latest posts