1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots found Guilty in Deflategate

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Shawnsta3, May 6, 2015.

1. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    The Patriots have been found guilty according to the 243 page Wells Report, albeit in a very delicate manner. "It is more probable than not that the Patriots personnel participated in violations of the Playing Rule." Also it was added that Tom Brady was "generally aware" of what was being done as well.

I've seen quite a few members here point to the Patriots as a model of success that the Packers to strive for. Even pointing out, if our quarterback is better why haven't we reached the level of success they have. My question for you all is this: does the impact of this report, coupled with the Spygate case change your opinion of the Patriots at all? What is your reaction?

2. Twiddlemylobes

Twiddlemylobes Fat Tuesday Orleans

Ratings:
    +511
    I don't like cheaters, it's a derivative of liars. You can win just as easily if you put all that energy into being the best you can be by inflating your ethics and inspiring those around you with your actions. Our team is not perfect, we are human too, but we do an overall good job on keeping our actions in the light. An inspiring man once said "darkness cannot survive in the light". It's sound advice we can all use

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Wonder if this may cost them something in the coming year(s)

"Based on the evidence, we also have concluded that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of [Jim] McNally and [John] Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls," the report said.

4. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    Well they let themselves down, they let the fans down, and apparently let the balls down too !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Only a few places I know where its proper to deflate your balls and the football field isn't one of them!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    This is still a thing? Draft must be over and minicamps must be a little ways away yet.

7. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Read Brady may get 4 game suspension, Patriots fined, but no talk of lost draft choices which IMO.....is what should happen here.

8. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    you know what should happen? If it's such a big deal, all the balls are provided by the league. They are brought to the games by the league. They get put into the game by the league, they go back home with the league. This whole thing is/has been ridiculous. Basically the Ravens got their panties twisted when Brady told them to read the rule book after using some funky offensive formations. They were embarrassed and mad.

3 year old children tattling about something that isn't a big deal on the play ground is all they are.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Can't think of much worse than having everyone question your biggest accomplishments. Every time anything about the modern patriots is brought up you're going to hear a "yeah but..."

10. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    so, for those that disagree, tell me why you don't think that's the case? because I believe it's pretty obvious how this all started and it's about an issue that is well known around the league, ALL TEAMS skirt around and the league pretty much allows it because it isn't a big deal. IF it was, they'd have their own balls and at the very least, they would actually measure and log the air pressure of each ball before the game and they don't always. That should tell you something

11. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Mondio

The official rules of the NFL require footballs to be inflated to a gauge pressure between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch. It was found that the balls that the Patriots provided and using were under inflated.

Under inflating a football may make it easier to grip, throw, and catch, and may inhibit fumbling, especially in cold rainy conditions.

To me this is no different then using illegal cleats, sticky gloves, etc. Unevens what is suppose to be an even playing field.

Just because you get away with speeding, doesn't make it legal or prevent someone else from getting pulled over that is doing it too.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  12. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    and tell me, when the balls where checked before the game, what were the measurements??? Oh, they didn't actually measure and record them?? you don't say and then again later, how many of the Colts balls were underinflated? 3 out of 4? why is that not a story??

If the league isn't measuring and recording every single ball used in a game, what does that tell you about their level of cares given? and what about this isn't just an embarrassed 5 year old Ravens coach trying to get even with a team that beat him again?

13. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    You are arguing a mute point..."nobody checked before the game and other teams do it".

Bottom line is the balls were found to be under inflated intentionally, period. Will they change who controls the balls, when the are checked, etc. after this, I imagine so.

Your argument goes back to my previous question, if you get pulled over for speeding, are you innocent of any wrong doing because other people speed?

14. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    and do you really care when you get pulled over for doing 62 in a 55? I don't. The entire situation and the resultant witch hunt is ridiculous. All because the Ravens were embarrassed and decided to tattle.

I wonder how many over inflated balls Rodgers has thrown for TD's in his career??

and if they didn't measure them before the game, they have nothing to even stand on. and 3 of 4 Colts balls were underinflated as well. Do they take draft picks? Fine? Suspend Luck? Give me a break. It's not important, which is exactly why the league doesn't measure before a game, why they aren't logged and why they don't just supply the game balls in the first place.

An embarrassed coach tattled, a friend of the embarrassed coach decided to make up a story about the football feeling "funny" and then leaked it to the media in an attempt to get back at Brady, like little children, and then it blew up by a bunch of people that talk more about football than have ever played.

15. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +955
    You boldly stated all teams skirt the rules. Please provide some definitive examples of that. You brought it up. Prove your point. Be specific, please.

16. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Well our own Quarterback stated they fill they fill them as full as they can get them and hope they don't let any out. Is that a good enough start?

Did you ever play football? It is such common practice for EVERY QB to doctor up balls they way they like them. if an NFL team doesn't have an inflation issue it's because their QB happens to like the ball at that PSI. Good God, even in high school teams have their warm weather footballs they use, the cold weather ones, the rainy weather ones and if the refs never say anything prior to the game, nothing is ever done.

17. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    So how does this prove your point? "As full at they can get them" logically means that Rogers likes them filled to the max pressure allowed by the NFL rules (13.5 psi).

I assume this argument of yours applies to all Sports where equipment used has rules that regulate their use. Baseballs, doesn't matter what ball they use? NASCAR, engine size....who cares? Boxing, let them wear any gloves they want........As long as you don't get caught, why follow the rules? But oh wait, since they don't really check footballs, why follow the rules, right?

Even if you can point out examples of Teams skirting the rules, I would like to know how this somehow clears the Patriots for any wrong doing? Because they got caught and other teams haven't?

18. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    How doesn't it prove a point? You think Rodgers saying they fill them as full as they can get them and hope they don't let any out means they fill them to the maximum allowable only? well they why do they hope they don't let any out? because if they were within the regulations why would they? Really?

Baseball supplies the baseballs, Nascar monitors everything, NFL? Bring your own balls to the game, because we realize every QB likes to use his own ball and we don't really care that much as long as it's not grossly different. You really mean to tell me and multi BILLION dollar industry can't provide their own footballs for each and every game if they really though it was that crucial to the game?

And as for other teams not being caught, the Colts were found with 3 out of the 4 tested to be outside of league regulations. There goes that theory :)

And if they want to give them a fine, go for it. But people need to quit acting like this something more than it is. Lose draft picks, suspend Brady, get real. Let's treat speeders like child molesters too, it's all breaking the law right?

19. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    I must have missed this, or are you going off what Robert Kraft, the Owner of the Patriots said, not what league officials found?

Read the Wells report, or at least some of the highlights.

"The report said all 11 of the Patriots' game balls, when re-tested at halftime, were below the minimum level specified by NFL rules of 12.5 psi. The four Colts game balls that were re-tested were between 12.5 and 13.5 psi, so they were within the rules"

But again, I have to ask you the same question......How does getting caught or not getting caught breaking the rules, somehow clear the Patriots (in your mind) of any wrong doing? Because its a nit picky rule that no team follows? You may think that under inflating balls in someway didn't give Brady a competitive advantage, but he sure went to a lot of trouble making sure that they were and then covering up any of his involvement in it.

IMO we will see just how important this is with how the NFL handles it with the Patriots and any new rules in regards to balls used in games.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    It doesn't clear them, but it doesn't mean this whole thing isn't one over inflated pile of garbage about something that really isn't all that important. This should have been a 10K fine the week after and move along. Instead here we are again 6 months later, take draft picks, suspend brady, ban Bill. People are crazy.

Every QB wants the footballs like he wants them. From the time they are in high school or before. College, it's the same, NFL, the same. IF it was a big deal, the NFL would be supplying their own footballs. It hasn't been until now because people have too much time on their hands and a target in the patriots. the whole thing is assinine.

and 3 of 4 came from the Wells report. Funny that when measured by one official 3 of the 4 were underinflated and when another official measured them, they were all at 12.5 or above. What does that tell you?

hmmmmmmmmmmm

21. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I’m not sure why Mondio is so adamantly defending the Pats. IMO the charge that everyone does it rings hollow and of course the burden of proof is on the person making that allegation. However: No one is saying the deflated balls had anything to do with the outcome of the game, are they? The state of the balls didn’t affect the Pats scoring TDs on their first four possessions of the second half when they were correctly inflated. They didn’t affect Indy’s inability to stop Blount, or their inability to score more than 7 points. Of course that doesn’t justify cheating, I’m just saying it certainly didn’t have a significant effect on that game.

While I disagree with Mondio’s defense of the Pats, I do agree the NFL should provide the footballs for games. Certainly that’s no burden for a $9B/year business. And I wouldn’t allow teams to rough the balls up before the game. That’d take a small advantage away from the offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    i'm not defending the Pats, i'm saying the witch hunt is ridiculous for an activity that has lasted as long as the NFL. Fine them, move on. Simple. If a half pound of PSI is so important, the multi billion dollar league can provide the footballs. The fact they haven't ever and have always allowed every team to use their own balls should tell you something. It is at every level and always has been. you disagree? so they got caught, fine them, move on. Quit acting like a speeder is a child molester and should be punished accordingly. That's my issue. Clear enough?

23. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I thought this was mildly amusing:

[​IMG]

:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    I find that offensive. The nose is a family trait, and the other thing is a medical complaint !!! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  25. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Deflators gonna Deflate!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1