Patriots do what Packers should have done

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i DID mean college, because I read(I even linked it, and made it its own post) it on a cundiff article on packers.com(the one i linked to in a pot on the main page)

did you read that post? ill assume you didnt. you should, its pretty good. but dont take it for too much, cuz packers.com ones are biased. I look at quotes and stats.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah well the Bias on kickoff depth must be way EXAGGERATED.

I still think Grammatica would have been a smarter choice but was not overly concerned until I really started looking into the stats a little bit closer.

I knew he sucked but honestly the guy is downright awful. 1 or 2 touchbacks a year? A career total of 5? All of this kicking in a dome. What happens when he has to kick on the Frozen Tundra.

His percentage from 30 plus is hideous. I just hope he either has improved or we get someone else in here. I see they signed Raymer but I am not for taking up two spots for a Kicker. Maybe Raymer can boot FG's.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyledriver !! Honest opinion, you think we will be better or worse off this season without Longwell ? How much might this hurt us, if any ? Just speculate.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think not resigning Longwell was ok. The guy had an off-year last year. Was it the holders fault? Who knows? His Touchbacks have fell off dramatically but at least, other than last year, was pretty consistent.

My problem is they brought in a guy who in all likleyhood will be the same or worse than Ryan was last year. I think that kicking is a very mental thing. The guy has NEVER had success on the pro level. Does he KNOW he can do it? I don't think so.

He's not accurate, his Kickoffs are below average and he has never had much success.

I am not a Grammatica fanatic at all, but I think that it would have been a better choice. People say he's old and I say Good! The old guys are the ones that have long careers and they have long careers because they KNOW they can be successful. They know how to shake off a big miss. Gary Anderson and Morten Andersen were around Forever, into thier forties. This isn't a position that requires speed or great tackling ability.

Its probably going to have a minimal effect on this team but so would have signing Vinitieri. We were not going to be a Super Bowl contender just because he signed, but yet people were calling for TT's head over that. I just think we signed perhaps, the worst FG kicker out there.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for your take on the situation. I am not up on these new kickers at all so the information is appreciated !!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grammatica comes from Argentina, most of those guys are real ******, they think that the world doesnt deserve them, this is something real you can check on soccer players.

Anyway I think he might have been a better signing than Cundiff, maybe slightly better but better indeed.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Really Chamuko..?

That's interesting...Never would have know that..!

I hope that doesn't start a brouhaha amongst the Argentinian Packer fans who post here on www.packerforum.com...!

I have a friend in Nicaragua...how are they down there?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice, nicer thatn Argentinians, see we have a say in México... I root for any team that plays against an agentinian one...

Brazilians are the best we are kind of brothers when It comes to sports...

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gramatica sucks. We played him twice a year and looked forward to it. Carolina once blocked two field goal attempts and a potential game winning extra point with 0 seconds left on the clock in 03 to spoil TB's Super Bowl homecoming. His kicks are low and erratic. Once you're in his head, unlike other kickers, he can't get past it.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooooh, pantherd...don't you know that for some Packers fans, ANYONE is better than the players whom TT signed.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this is a refreshing change of pace. Instead of arguing about Favre we are now arguing about the merits of two mediocre kickers. You gotta love it!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver: You said earlier in the thread that Gramattica's career percentage is 76% and Cundiff's is 73%, which is almost identical, so you must be basing your opinion on number of touchbacks. Touchbacks are nice, but since the advent of K-balls a few years ago they are not nearly as common as they used to be, so that's a very limited measure of kickoff ability. The difference in opponents' average starting field position between most kickers is only a few yards. So I'm not worried about that.

Also, Texas Stadium is not exactly a haven for kickers, especially compared to the balmy climate of Tampa Bay. Dallas gets cold later in the season, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the partial dome of that stadium creates some tricky winds.

So I agree with trom that it is pretty much a toss-up between these two kickers. There are many decisions that GM's make that are neither right nor wrong, because there just isn't much difference between the players they have to choose from, and this is one of those decisions.

Hopefully Thompson will bring in a young guy or two who can compete for the job.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but NE signing him should say something. They always seem to make the right moves.

Granted the percentages are similar but Gramatica's was better. Grammatica's lat year he struggled and was 1 for 5 before being released. If you throw out that year Gramatica is A GOOD BIT more consistent then Cundiff. Gramatica and Cundiff both kicked the same K-balls and the number of touchbacks are staggering. Grammatica had over 10 touchbacks 3 different years and averaged about 7 per season. Cundiff has NEVER had more than 3.

I am not trying to bash TT, Tro will defend every decision TT makes like he is his father or something.

NE made a better move than GB did. Nothing new. Call it insignificant if you'd like but Cundiff was honestly the WORST kicker out there. The guy has no confidence because he has never experienced success at the pro level. Well I like what TT has done in the offseason, this was a rather shady pick-up. No accuracy, no distance and no confidence may cost GB more than a few points this year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so the other people who think gramatica is worse, are just wrong...

i get it, nobodys opinion matters but yours, gotya.

ps - why dont you respond to my ***?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What other kickers out there are better than Cundiff then? I know you think Grammatica is but who else if he was the WORST kicker left? I think Edinger is the worst available kicker and I know of no other available kickers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats that spanish fellows name? theres that guy, hes the pits.

but bottom line

Cundiff + kicking competition = best kicker we can get (cuz we dont have a dome)

cundiff is younger, has more upside, and doesnt kick ridiculously low and get blocked like gramaticas. cundiff also has experience in bad weather fields. but yeah....GB screwed up bigtime... :roll:

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tro, do you need validation in everything you do? Do you have an ESPN poll to refer to? I see just as many people who say it would have been a better pickup but I don't refer to that. I do not need validation.

I see people disagree with you all day,everyday. Do you change your mind or do you continue to kneel at your TT worship alter?

Its funny that you think that you SPEAK for the PEOPLE or something, like you are the Martin Luther King of the Packer Forum.

Grammatica is statistically better, PERIOD! That is a fact you cannot argue. He has been more consistent, has a stronger leg, and has done it twice as long as Cundiff. Of course you will downplay the importance of it because you have no FACTS to back up anything. So then you try to spin it, like a politician, and say he's older and injury prone.

Cundiff sucks and Maybe Gramatica does to but at least he can put the ball into the endzone on kickoffs. Bad signing by TT, good signing my NE, par for the couse.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never needed validation. I felt the way i did weeks before that poll was up, and when i seen it, i learned a lot of others feel the same way.

No, its just people disagree with you, and have listed reasons and stats, but you conveniently ignore them. nice. im done with you.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are referring to Jose Cortez, Tro. The guy that beat out Cundiff in Dallas. But yeah he REALLY sucks!

Todd Petersen was available. He is a pretty consistent guy. Josh Brown would have been OK. Matt Bryant was re-signed by Tampa but we could have pursued him. Joe Nedney is out there.

Its funny that Cundiff supposedly has more "Upside." Please explain to me how a kicker has an "Upside"