Patrick Dendy still available?

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Patrick Dendy still available, we need to sign him back. Even though he didn't do well in practice he was a hell of a lot better than Mr Bush in games.

Bush kept giving and giving and the Vikings kept taking and taking. If the Vikings had thrown at Bush all day and kept Adrian Peterson in all day they might have won easily.

Sidney Rice was impressing.

Bring back Dendy!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush can only get better. I'd say he learned a lot from this, and the coaches won't allow him to play bad and keep his spot.

Dendy works at the Popeyes chicken near my house. Nice guy.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, do you not understand game planning and schemes at all?

The Vikings targeted the nickle back (who happened to be Bush). With Woodson and Harris as the starting CB's wouldn't you.

Bush is a developing young talent who had several rough plays but battled on. You make no mention of the good plays he made, there were also several.

The Packers beat the Vikings in their house -- talk of "if they had done this or that" they would have won is beyond silly.

Look below
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

...now if you still cannot find something to smile about how about ...
4-0

...and if you still can't...

...take two aspirin and call the doctor in the morning

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Vikings targeted the nickle back (who happened to be Bush). With Woodson and Harris as the starting CB's wouldn't you.

Bush is a developing young talent who had several rough plays but battled on. You make no mention of the good plays he made, there were also several.

The Packers beat the Vikings in their house -- talk of "if they had done this or that" they would have won is beyond silly.

Look below

4-0

Well, I think I understand game planning and schemes to some extent, and I know all about how teams will target the nickel back. But how the nickel back handles the pressure says a lot, and Bush has struggled these past two weeks. I would say that he hasn't done as well as Dendy did last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced by Blackmon or Walker.

And yes, we all know the Packers won, and we are very happy about it. But that doesn't mean there's no point discussing some of the team's weak spots.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Look below

4-0

Well, I think I understand game planning and schemes to some extent, and I know all about how teams will target the nickel back. But how the nickel back handles the pressure says a lot, and Bush has struggled these past two weeks. I would say that he hasn't done as well as Dendy did last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced by Blackmon or Walker.

And yes, we all know the Packers won, and we are very happy about it. But that doesn't mean there's no point discussing some of the team's weak spots.

The Packers gave up one TD on a leaping catch by a TALL receiver in the endzone. Bush was in good position, he just got beat by a good throw and a great play by the receiver.

I liked Dendy, but he did not outperform Bush.

Its as if eveyone only notices the bad, Bush has made a number of great plays -- including some game changing ones (for the better) and is a big reason this team is 4 - 0.

Any offensive coordinator with half-a-brain is going to chose to go after the Packers nickle back as opposed to Harris or Woodson.

Bush gave up a TD with great coverage on a good throw and great catch by a taller WR and a great leap -- it happens. Woodson, Harris, Bigby gave up similar TD's in earlier games.

I know everyone thinks the nickle back should be an All-Pro and never give up a pass, but it does not fit with the reality of football in the NFL.

I am a huge believer in individual player and team development. It is essential that it continue to progress for both.

Bush is a tough, talented young kid who battles every down.

DBs get beat sometime in the NFL -- that is just a fact.
Nickle backs get targeted in the NFL -- that's also a fact.
DBs are isolated under a microscope in the NFL -- another fact.

Bush has some work to do - he is a young raw talent. Walker, Blackmon and Williams will all nip at his heals to scratch and claw for his job.

I am all for talking about improving this football team -- especially when it comes to player and team development.

Greg, you are great guy and poster. I am sorry, but I think talk of resigning Dendy is ridiculous.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks to me that Bush usually is in pretty good position most of the time but maybe he doesn't react to the ball as well as he needs to. Instincts maybe , I don't know.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush got burned a few times when the WR he was covering started in motion down the line of scrimmage. As he was running parallel to the line Bush started angling away from the line giving to much of a cushion.

I saw him do this at least three or four times. It's certainly something they can see and work on. He's going to be a good corner. You have to be in the game to learn.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if we want to talk positively about Bush, then he's positively got a lot of film to study in this game about what he could do better in coverage.

We won't replace him, but I gaurantee future opponents will be going after him.

San Diego did the same thing. Needed third down plays were converted against Bush.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes they will be going after him. But not all teams have good enough #3 receivers to do any damage. This is why I'm concerned about the Lions. They do have good enough WR's to hurt us.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify: I don't think Dendy should be brought back. I didn't really take that statement from Bertram literally anyway. And the TD against Bush was a great leap and catch by a tall WR. There was nothing he could do about it. However, Bush did let a WR get behind him on the Vike's first possession, which would've been a long TD with a halfway decent throw. He's made good plays, but he's give up quite a few big gains. I think he has struggled and his confidence may be a bit low right now.

Zero: Bush has been great on special teams, but this thread is about his skills as nickel back.

By the way, I think it's great that our defense is playing so well that we are having a discussion about our nickel back. Almost everybody likes all 11 of our defensive starters right now. There are no weak links there, and that is huge.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well, obviously if you replace Bush with Dendy you don't get Bush's talent on special teams. HENCE why I mentioned it.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush has been busting his *** since last January to make this team and deserves it. Give the guy a break, hes no Manuel or Carroll. This thread sucks!

Reaction score
I agree with Bruce, I think he put it beautifully.

Jarret Bush had two great games against the Eagles and Giants. He proved he could play with the big boys, and showed potential to step in for Harris or Woodson if the need arose.

Granted he hasn't played well the last two weeks, but you just don't go from being someone who could hang with the big boys to being someone who is picked on by the big boys.

I think too much is being made of Bush's below average performance against the Chargers. A lot of the time he was matched up with Antonio Gates, and to Bush's credit he kept Gates in front of him. Yes that resulted in 10 yard gains, but it's heck of a lot more better than giving up 20+ yard gains to Gates. Bush went up against a heck of a player that is almost impossible to cover, and he didn't give up any big plays.

Now he was picked on by the Vikings, but perhaps it is possible that Bush bought into the hype that the Vikings WRs can't do squat. They are a raw group that has potential, but that wouldn't have been obvious if I hadn't seen them play yesterday.

Bush is more physically gifted than Dendy, and has also gone up against some great competition. He's a young player that has shown the ability to rise up to the challenge, no reason why he won't break out of his slump.

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plain and simple, good teams find a way to win, be it offense, defense, special teams, or a lucky break, good teams find a way to win. If one person has a bad day, everybody else steps up, if not... well then its not a good team.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 good games and 2 bad games.

jury is still out on him.

no one questions his ability on special teams.

i can remember multiple time during the gameday chat the last two week where people have been complaining about bush.

i think he's okay. it just seems like whenever the other team makes a big play, like converting a third down, it is on Bush.

this is basically his first year playing full time. i don't think any of us can write him off yet!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, obviously if you replace Bush with Dendy you don't get Bush's talent on special teams. HENCE why I mentioned it.

He could still play special teams even if he's not the nickel back.

Hopefully he will hang in there and have a good season, though. He's got good skills. It seems like he's just been getting out of position too much.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Hopefully he will hang in there and have a good season, though. He's got good skills. It seems like he's just been getting out of position too much.

You can't play if you're not on the team. That's the point I'm making.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Zero2Cool said:

Nobody suggested that Bush should be cut, as far as I can tell. I guess we read Bertram's post differently.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
Zero2Cool said:

Nobody suggested that Bush should be cut, as far as I can tell. I guess we read Bertram's post differently.

Dendy was the nickel back last year.
Bush is the nickel back this year.

To me, it seemed obvious that if someone is wondering if Dendy is available, its because they want him on the team to replace Bush.

:shrug:

I'd rather Bush over Dendy any day. Dendy doesn't have Dish Network :)

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i cant believe Trom hasnt commented on this yet :D
No doubt the Vikings will have signed Dendy before we play them again.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I gotta wonder if they're only saying that because they don't have someone better to step in. I think Blackmon might be better, but not with that cast on.

Members online

Latest posts