Pass Rush in 2017

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You claimed no one "roams" on defense anymore. I was just trying to show you that statement didn't make any sense. What do you think Troy Polamalu, Charles Woodson, and Ray Lewis are revered for? Or like I said before, what is Earl Thomas revered for being able to do in the Seahawks STANDARD D, where in certain situations (especially in the back end) THEY DON'T SWITCH THEIR DEFENSIVE LOOKS AT ALL AND PLAY STRAIGHT UP BALL, WITH THOMAS DEEPER THAN ANY OTHER FS IN THE LEAGUE AND SINGLE HIGH?

A free safety isn't "roaming," he has a job and he does it. Be responsible for everything deep. There's nothing roaming about it. It is a clearly defined responsibility.

Woodson, he's an interesting story. 2009, defensive player of the year. Got a million picks. 2010, the staff asks him to freelance less. Picks go down to 2? But we win the Super Bowl.

Clay Matthews has even been asked at times to "roam" by Dom Capers in dime, whether it be to cover the middle of the field, spy, or to perform a delayed/staggered blitz. If you don't consider nickel and dime defenses as standard, when the percentages they are played by NFL teams rises every year, then you must not know what you're watching, pal.

The occasional play isn't the same thing. I like giving Clay some freedom, lets say 5-ish plays per game. But again, he's not "roaming." He has a defined responsibility, though to be fair, I'm sure sometimes his responsibility is "pick the best spot to rush from and go." BUT EVEN THEN: he's a defined rusher.

I meant that there have been a number of occasions over the years on 3rd and very long that I have seen Clay, from either the OLB or ILB spot, drop into coverage and be nearly 7-15 yards downfield right around the area where one or two DBs and a receiver are competing for a ball. That is regardless of whether his initial drop was only to take him 5-7, or 7-10 yards from the LOS.

If he's in zone defense, there's nothing special about that's doing your job. Ball is in the air, to the ball.

And just because that happens in a game once or twice doesn't mean Clay is just totally ignoring the scheme assignment/not doing what Dom asked him to do.

I'm not saying that either. If he is in coverage where he might have to do that 1-2 times a game, that's about what he should do. If he had to do it more often, he would get exposed.

H

HardRightEdge

Clay Matthews played 2 consecutive games at ILB without making a single tackle. Nobody does that.

This alone disqualifies him for the position except as a blitzing option.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I'm not sure what other fans were seeing when Clay was at ILB. He looked below average at the position then and he's even slower and more banged up now. Pass on that. Plus I'm not paying him that money to play ILB

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm also not putting young players like Ryan or Martinez on the bench to move Matthews inside unless those youngsters have regressed.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
biegel hurt his hand at minicamp practice that he had to leave? probably bent fingers and he has to wear a splint which is going to take about two months of recovery time? hopefully it's nothing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
biegel hurt his hand at minicamp practice that he had to leave? probably bent fingers and he has to wear a splint which is going to take about two months of recovery time? hopefully it's nothing.
Damn, injury bug hitting early this year. Hope it isn't an indication of things to come.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From PFF, regarding Fackrell:

• One draft pick who could emerge onto the scene in a larger role is third-rounder Kyler Fackrell. The outside linebacker was quietly an effective rotational pass-rusher in very limited playing time, scoring a higher Pass Rusher Productivity rating (10.0) than the likes of Jadeveon Clowney (9.4) and Clay Matthews (8.6) in 2016.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

• One draft pick who could emerge onto the scene in a larger role is third-rounder Kyler Fackrell. The outside linebacker was quietly an effective rotational pass-rusher in very limited playing time, scoring a higher Pass Rusher Productivity rating (10.0) than the likes of Jadeveon Clowney (9.4) and Clay Matthews (8.6) in 2016.

I'm sure that Fackrell and Biegel are more along the lines of what TT is thinking regarding EDGE depth than any veterans currently out there. For better or worse.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately there's only a small sample size to evaluate Fackrell's pass rush productivity and in addition he struggled defending the run.