Pass or Run?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
What do you think should be the focus of our offense on Sunday?
I am personally leaning towards running more than passing due to the weather and Lacy being able to handle a large workload. (I am thinking similar to the 2007 playoff game against Seattle)

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy does a great job of mixing it up and that's what they'll have to do against the Niners. I'm just not worried about the Pack scoring points nearly as much as the defense stopping San Fran. I honestly think the offense is poised to make a serious run. This is as many weapons as we've had in years.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think should be the focus of our offense on Sunday?
I am personally leaning towards running more than passing due to the weather and Lacy being able to handle a large workload. (I am thinking similar to the 2007 playoff game against Seattle)

Hopefully Lacy doesn't fumble the first two times he touches it like Ryan Grant did in that game. It was all good though, as Grant ended up with a huge game.
One issue that has to be considered is Lacy's asthma. He had a problem I think in the Falcon game as it worsens in cold weather. With the weather forecast for this game, I would expect the Packers to limit his carries early and substitute Starks liberally.
I'm actually leaning the other way. Another poster suggested letting Rodgers cut it loose and I tend to agree. I doubt the 49er's would be expecting that and with our receivers ability to catch the ball (although it will feel like a rock) we could jump on them early and get the crowd into the game. If we get a big early lead, they may spend the rest of the game huddled around the sideline heaters.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Lacy doesn't fumble the first two times he touches it like Ryan Grant did in that game. It was all good though, as Grant ended up with a huge game.
One issue that has to be considered is Lacy's asthma. He had a problem I think in the Falcon game as it worsens in cold weather. With the weather forecast for this game, I would expect the Packers to limit his carries early and substitute Starks liberally.
I'm actually leaning the other way. Another poster suggested letting Rodgers cut it loose and I tend to agree. I doubt the 49er's would be expecting that and with our receivers ability to catch the ball (although it will feel like a rock) we could jump on them early and get the crowd into the game. If we get a big early lead, they may spend the rest of the game huddled around the sideline heaters.
Lacy does have asthma issues which from personal experience can become quite debilitating in freezing cold weather.
He also has that ankle issue.
If one or both of these health issues flare up he may not be as effective as we all hope he will be.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The 49ers finished 7th in the league defending the pass and 4th vs. the run. This will not be like running against the Bears who finished last vs. the run. I think the Packers will have to have success passing the ball in order to win this game so my guess is McCarthy will run the ball enough to keep their pass rushers at bay. If the 49ers can put pressure on Rodgers rushing four, that'll be a problem. The only good news I could find in the team stats is the 49ers were tied for 18th in sacks with 38 (the Packers had 44) but sacks aren't the only pressure stats and overall they were 3rd in scoring D.

Probably like most of you, my main concern is on defense. Even with a healthy Matthews, Jolly, and Hayward I think it'd be a close game. Add to that Neal and Perry not practicing and Pickett's gimpy knee and it's no wonder McCarthy said, "the defense needs to play its best game of the year".

McCarthy: "I love our defense," he said. "I love our football team. Throw the stats out the window. We could sit here and roll around in that stuff all you want. You can throw the bad ones at me and I’ll throw the good ones back at you. We’re a playoff football team. Our identity has changed. It’s kind of gone different directions of how we have to go play to win a game. This team’s embraced it, and we know it’s going to take the full game to get it done, and that’s the way we play."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/111083/defining-time-for-capers-packers-defense

Amen to that. The Packers will be able to score so it'll probably come down to the D. And it will be very helpful if the Packers win the TO battle.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Come on guys......lets have some faith in the team. They haven`t beaten us yet. :eek:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I say with arod back and Lacy, a even balance of both should march us right down the field. Our offense does not worry me, it's our defense that is the issue here.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50/50 I like Rodgers and lacy both in this game. Our wrs should be able to get open too and I would like to see cobb in the backfield a couple times as well. Cant wait for this game. Just hope the D comes to play.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i also see a 50/50...but not all of the workload going to Lacey. Youll see Starks in a number of snaps.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have the #3 ranked offense in the NFL without Rodgers for half of the season. We are #7 passing and #7 rushing. No other playoff team is as balanced on offense as we are, making us potentially the most dangerous team in the playoffs. I suspect we will see plenty of audibles. SF can't stack up against the run or they will be punished downfield. They can't drop too many into coverage or we'll run on them. I would start with a heavy dose of Lacy in the first quarter to both keep their pass rush at bay and to force their safeties to respect play action, then I'd hit Jordy or James for the 50-yard score. Rinse. Repeat.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with this team we need to establish the pass first to have success in the running game. We know their front is very big and strong. But they are hurt in the secondary and we have enough weapons to beat them there. If we can establish the pass they will have to start getting guys out of the box and Lacy can run right through them. I'm hoping Mccarthy really doesn't try those stupid side tosses to Lacy. Won't work against them and Lacy will have trouble cutting back in that weather. He has to let him be a downhill runner. That boy always falls forward, legs never stop moving and I've seen him fly a few times this year. Lol

Members online

Latest posts