Pass alot, run little

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM_Awesome said:
CM_Awesome said:
Danreb said:
The Cowboy fan is right about not passing all the time though. If we're gonna win the game, we have to not let Dallas get the ball. We gotta grind out the clock for as much as its worth and score TD's.

If we have the big 5 going and we throw short passes down the field, we can still run the clock out. Favre had 20 straight completed passes last week, a completed pass = clock keeps running.

Nope. This is the 3-4. Dallas has extremely quick and talented linebackers who will roam the line of scrimmage as well as the second level. The only way to really counter this is to have slot-seam routes. The ones who seem to run that one properly are Driver and Jennings. Winning will require more than just them.

Their defensive line isn't all that big. Interior runs are the way to go because Bradie James is often out of position and Akin Ayodele isn't that great of a tackler.

So you are sure throwing all day won't be effective?

If it's more than 45 times, then yes--it won't be effective.

We need to run the ball at least 20 times.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM_Awesome said:
I think the key to beating Dalas is throwing the ball alot. At one point in the Detroit game we had thown the ball 31 times, and only run it 4. We need to get the Big 5 going, the offense seems to never fail in moving the ball when using the big 5. The Cowboys pass Defense ranks 21st, and they would have a long day stopping Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, and Martin. The Cowboys rush defense is ranked 4th, we can use Grant alot more after tiring that Defense down.

MM gameplans to opposing D's weaknesses.
We will see a heck of a lot more passes than runs. It's almost a given.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM_Awesome said:
Danreb said:
CM_Awesome said:
Danreb said:
The Cowboy fan is right about not passing all the time though. If we're gonna win the game, we have to not let Dallas get the ball. We gotta grind out the clock for as much as its worth and score TD's.

If we have the big 5 going and we throw short passes down the field, we can still run the clock out. Favre had 20 straight completed passes last week, a completed pass = clock keeps running.

Nope. This is the 3-4. Dallas has extremely quick and talented linebackers who will roam the line of scrimmage as well as the second level. The only way to really counter this is to have slot-seam routes. The ones who seem to run that one properly are Driver and Jennings. Winning will require more than just them.

Their defensive line isn't all that big. Interior runs are the way to go because Bradie James is often out of position and Akin Ayodele isn't that great of a tackler.

So you are sure throwing all day won't be effective?

If it's more than 45 times, then yes--it won't be effective.

We need to run the ball at least 20 times.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are able to throw the ball 45 times we will absolutely win. Favre has been completing a tremendous amount of his passes, and if he throws 45 expect at least 30 to be completed. If Favre completes 30 passes, this game will be in our hands. Our quick passes help us control the ball by keeping the clock running and out of the Dallas' offenses hands.

I still expect 80+ yards from Grant, but similar to the Detroit game most of them will come in the second half.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM_Awesome said:
CM_Awesome said:
Cowboysfan178 said:
Danreb said:
Cowboysfan178 said:
Danreb said:
Whatever, Green Bay is undefeated against the East. I don't care how weak our division is.

Al Harris and Charles Woodson match up better against New England than Terence Newman and Anthony Henry ever will.

Henry did not play that game and both of our corners have a great chance to make the Pro Bowl.

So? If they make the Pro Bowl, the only reason why they'll do it is because of Dallas' popularity. No team's entire offensive line deserve to be in the Pro Bowl. That's called favoritism, my friend. It'll be an absolute disgrace to have a player who didn't play until midway through the season (Newman) make the Pro Bowl.

Last time I checked, Woodson had the most votes.
Erm? You can't check who has the most votes so your a liar there.... Plus Newman is up there with the good corners this year with 3 picks and a TD and Henry has 5 INTs and an TD so it would not be a surprise if they both made it. Newman did not miss a whole half of the season I believe it was 3 games.

Time for you to eat crow, check this link out cowboyfan

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/11/15/1/
Meh consider it eaten....

You gotta admit, Woodson deserves it.

He does and I also think AL Harris deserves it but it won't happen because he same as Newman are so good that they never have the ball thrown their way and have minimal INTs.

Cowboysfan178

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are able to throw the ball 45 times we will absolutely win. Favre has been completing a tremendous amount of his passes, and if he throws 45 expect at least 30 to be completed. If Favre completes 30 passes, this game will be in our hands. Our quick passes help us control the ball by keeping the clock running and out of the Dallas' offenses hands.

I still expect 80+ yards from Grant, but similar to the Detroit game most of them will come in the second half.

Erm usually when teams throw that much its because they are down.... No QB wants to throw 45 times a game.... If he throws 40+ I'd say their is a 80% chance you'd lose , same as if Romo threw 40+ times...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game plan: Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass. And when you're done doing that, pass it again. How many times do the Packers need to run the ball? How about zero?

The 3-4 defense in general is designed for stopping the run, and as the stats show, that's clearly what the Cowboys are best at. As others have said, short passes chew up just as much clock as running plays, and first downs are what really chew up the clock anyway. And as an added bonus, the pass is a better way for the Packers to score points.

Now, if the Cowboys completely sell out on the pass by playing the dime defense or something, go ahead and hit 'em with Ryan Grant, at least enough to keep them honest. Otherwise, the Packers should go with the same pass-happy attack that has led to their success this season. And I'm confident that Mike McCarthy will do exactly that.

Reaction score
Erm usually when teams throw that much its because they are down.... No QB wants to throw 45 times a game.... If he throws 40+ I'd say their is a 80% chance you'd lose , same as if Romo threw 40+ times...

Actually, McCarthy ideal offensive strategy for a game calls for bout 70-75 snaps a game.

In the West Coast Offense style that McCarthy runs, dump passes for 3-5 yards are considered the same thing as a run of about 3-5 yards. And the Packers run a lot of dump passes to the RB.

McCarthy also told Brett after the Dallas game that McCarthy should have called more (short route) passing plays which are the Packers' strength to keep time ticking of the clock in the fourth Quarter.

Basically, if a QB throws for 40+ times in a game this year for the Packers, it doesn't necessarily mean the QB was forced into throwing so much because the Packers trailed their opponent.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers average 39 pass attempts per game. To date they have lost 1 game, so the amount of passes thrown doesn't effect the outcome of this offense. It is a much different offense than the 'usual' teams offense. He has thrown 45 times twice this year and both he threw at least 2 touch downs and no interceptions. If we throw 45 times and Favre completes the percentage that he has been throughout the year, the Packers will win.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jason Campbell can throw for 348 yards on the Boys' D, imagine what Brett and our Big 5 package is going to do. Keep passing until they manage to stop us.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Favre's pretty much doing what Brady is doing. Brady only has a million touchdowns because Moss is his #1 receiver.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady has a million touchdowns because the Pats are GREEDY ******'s and need to go for it on 4th down in the last two quarters when they have 2+ touchdown leads.

Anyways, Favre & the Pack will go and be pass happy for the Cowboys game. This will not be any less effective than it has been all year. And I'm sure when the 'boys start respecting Favre and the pass, then Grant will start getting some carries.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brnt247 said:

Stop making up numbers and realize the packers have only lost once doing exactly what you say gives them a "80% chance of losing".

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dallas is Dallas "The Cowboys."

The Cowboys are a very good team. The best group of players as a team that the Packers have faced so far. It is fitting that these two teams meet with one loss each in week 12.

I do not think this game will be decided by Brett or Romo, although they will be a big part of the equation. This game will not be decided by the Packers "Pass D." or the Cowboys' Run "D"

The winner of this game will be determined by what is happening right now, while we all sit here and type away.

I think this game is going to be won by coaching and which coaching staff prepares their troops better. It is going to be won by hard thought and a mental chess match of coaching minds.

With that in mind, I say M.M. and the Packer Coaching Staff win this game by 10 points over Wade Phillips and his staff.

One thing is for sure...

The Cowboys will have their owner standing on the sidelines of Texas Stadium during the game, and there will be enough room for his ego to be there beside him.

The owner of the Packers will not be standing on the sidelines though. It will not be possible. How the hell can you fit "One Hundred and Twelve Thousand, Fifteen owners of the Packers on the side lines of Texas Stadium?"

Coaching is going to win this game. I like the Packers coaching staff to come out ahead.

Coaching and Proper Preperation will win ths game, even though there is only room for one owner who can fit into the Stadium and watch this game live from the sidelines.

R.P.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady has a million touchdowns because the Pats are GREEDY ******'s and need to go for it on 4th down in the last two quarters when they have 2+ touchdown leads.

Anyways, Favre & the Pack will go and be pass happy for the Cowboys game. This will not be any less effective than it has been all year. And I'm sure when the 'boys start respecting Favre and the pass, then Grant will start getting some carries.

Agreed. There were games when we could have gotten 50+ points if we decided to go for every 4th and close, and keep assaulting well after the game was over, but didn't have the need to. Bellichek has some serious issues.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Dallas is Dallas "The Cowboys."

The Cowboys are a very good team. The best group of players as a team that the Packers have faced so far. It is fitting that these two teams meet with one loss each in week 12.

I do not think this game will be decided by Brett or Romo, although they will be a big part of the equation. This game will not be decided by the Packers "Pass D." or the Cowboys' Run "D"

The winner of this game will be determined by what is happening right now, while we all sit here and type away.

I think this game is going to be won by coaching and which coaching staff prepares their troops better. It is going to be won by hard thought and a mental chess match of coaching minds.

With that in mind, I say M.M. and the Packer Coaching Staff win this game by 10 points over Wade Phillips and his staff.

One thing is for sure...

The Cowboys will have their owner standing on the sidelines of Texas Stadium during the game, and there will be enough room for his ego to be there beside him.

The owner of the Packers will not be standing on the sidelines though. It will not be possible. How the hell can you fit "One Hundred and Twelve Thousand, Fifteen owners of the Packers on the side lines of Texas Stadium?"

Coaching is going to win this game. I like the Packers coaching staff to come out ahead.

Coaching and Proper Preperation will win ths game, even though there is only room for one owner who can fit into the Stadium and watch this game live from the sidelines.

R.P.

Good post.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brnt247 said:

The only game Dallas lost this season was against New England who threw 46 times. Predicting whether or not the Packers will lose if they throw a lot is ridiculous. Of course they will and they'll probably have success. Detroit had a lot of takeaways this season as well and Favre threw 0 against them. If Favre is on then the offense is unstoppable. The only way to throw him off rhythm is to get up on Green Bay early. Like 10-0 or 14-0 or consistently pressure him which is hard to do since he gets rid of the ball so fast.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both teams pass 35 to 45 times this game. Both teams stop the run well and you know Dallas wants to get up in the 4th quarter so Barber can put it away.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brnt247 said:

Ummm Brett Favre has had 40+ attempts 6 times this year and is 5-1 in those games.

Members online

Latest posts