Panthers release LB Morgan and LG Wahle

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7786922/Panthers-release-Morgan,-Wahle

Dan Morgan, when healthy, is actually quite a dominating MLB. If we take a chance by making him sign veteran's minimum, he might pull through, a lot like what Tennessee did with the likes of Kyle Vanden Bosch.

I don't have to explain Mike Wahle. You know what he's done. The Panthers released him for the likes of having Salary Cap Space. The guy is 30 years old and is almost over the hill... maybe he'd be a good stop-gap player for us?

Also note that the Panthers installed a ZBS last year... no idea on whether or not that also affected his release.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know......Wahle was GREAT here, but i haven't seen him since he left here. So i don't know if he's worth it or not anymore.
And Morgan.........we have good LB's. We have more pressing needs in other areas in my view.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass on Morgan. Haven't kept up with Wahle. I'm sure he would like to come here though. It is a luxury we haven't had in awhile.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Says there that he started all 16 games last year, everyone knows TT isn't going to spend big bucks on him but if he is willing to come play for a reasonable price I don't see the harm in takin a look at him.

He was a pretty darn good guard when he was with The Pack, but he might not be the prototype ZB guard TT and MM are looking for.
Never hurts to have a little more veteran leadrship on any team.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This would be interesting if the market doesn't explode on Wahle.. why not bring him back.. he is excellent in pulls, traps and pass blocking. Add to it an excellent rapport with Campen, Cliffy, Tausch and Brett.. I say if the money is right.. bring in the big boy. Faneca is older and will command way more money and people want us to bring him in.

Interesting to see how it plays out.. if we don't no big deal but he is a proven player.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends on whether the Pack plan to keep the ZBS.

The line started to click towards the end of the year with the run game (Maybe more due to Grant than the fat boys blocking for him). I'd like to give the ZBS another try next season.

Pass Pro was solid all year. But the running game was nonexistant for most of the season.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7786922/Panthers-release-Morgan,-Wahle

Dan Morgan, when healthy, is actually quite a dominating MLB. If we take a chance by making him sign veteran's minimum, he might pull through, a lot like what Tennessee did with the likes of Kyle Vanden Bosch.

I don't have to explain Mike Wahle. You know what he's done. The Panthers released him for the likes of having Salary Cap Space. The guy is 30 years old and is almost over the hill... maybe he'd be a good stop-gap player for us?

Also note that the Panthers installed a ZBS last year... no idea on whether or not that also affected his release.

PS: I could see that Pats picking up older LBer's that want to win it all like Morgan and Zach Thomas to replace Bruschi and Seau if they retire.

Reaction score
I think it depends on whether the Pack plan to keep the ZBS.

The line started to click towards the end of the year with the run game (Maybe more due to Grant than the fat boys blocking for him). I'd like to give the ZBS another try next season.

Pass Pro was solid all year. But the running game was nonexistant for most of the season.

I have to disagree, I think the Giants game showed that our O-line, specifically Guard play, needs improvement.

I still can't believe Jason Spitz couldn't block a friggin LB to allow B-Jack some space inside the 15. That is pathetic. But I think that play is overall reflective of our inconsistent Guard play.

I'd love to see the Packers go after Wahle if the coaches think he could be of value at G in the ZBS. At the very least it'd give us more competition, and if nothing else it'd give Colledge/Spitz/Coston/Barber a veteran Guard to perhaps learn a thing or two from.

Of course I'd rather not pay an arm and a leg, more like a nose or an ear maybe. Perhaps an incentive laden deal?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Wahle only lasted three years in Carolina (unless they resign him). The first year he made the Pro Bowl on reputation and because of the publicity his big contract generated, but I don't know how well he's actually played.

After leaving Green Bay for that huge contract, I can't imagine him wanting to come back here for a low price. If he's as good as he used to be, he would be perfect for the zone blocking scheme, but I just don't see it happening.

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
After leaving Green Bay for that huge contract, I can't imagine him wanting to come back here for a low price. If he's as good as he used to be, he would be perfect for the zone blocking scheme, but I just don't see it happening.

Greg, Wahle has only ever played for Green Bay and Carolina in the NFL, and seeing as he is 30 now he may decide to go somewhere familiar where he'd feel comfortable and have a rapport with some players on the team.

IF, and that is a big 'if', Wahle feels that way then Green Bay would have a shot at landing him. He'd also have an opportunity to compete for a starting G spot, and I'm sure Wahle still thinks he can be a starter in the NFL so that too might make GB attractive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Greg C. said:

Greg, Wahle has only ever played for Green Bay and Carolina in the NFL, and seeing as he is 30 now he may decide to go somewhere familiar where he'd feel comfortable and have a rapport with some players on the team.

IF, and that is a big 'if', Wahle feels that way then Green Bay would have a shot at landing him. He'd also have an opportunity to compete for a starting G spot, and I'm sure Wahle still thinks he can be a starter in the NFL so that too might make GB attractive.

AADP, who left on this team is the same really as when he was here for his last year??

different head coach, different system, different Gm..

Some players are the same but not a lot..So I dont think coming here would be to familiar at all..

But I do know what your saying..

He knows how the ENTIRE Pack org is ran, knows the city, its people etc...

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As well as playing guard, another thing Wahle can do is be a quality back-up at left tackle in case Clinton gets hurt.

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love to see Wahle back in G&G on a 1-yr deal. Makes more sense than overpaying Faneca.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wahle would be worth a small gamble. Not the most downside if he is willing to take that pay cut. I think he would fit in the ZBS, and has played with Clifton.

The depth could allow others to spend more snaps at Tackle for improvement in that position.

Definately an interesting scenerio.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Wahle still has it, I'd love to see him in the Green and Gold. He was solid when he played for us. But that was 3 years ago.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Wahle was still as good as he once was he'd still be a Carolina Panther. With that said, it's certainly worth a look if he's willing to come back. He might be better than what we got, I just don't know if he's an All Pro caliber player.

Dan Morgan might have to retire soon due to concussions. Unfortunately that means he's probably way to big of a risk to take due to medical reasons.

Reaction score
AADP, who left on this team is the same really as when he was here for his last year??

True there has been a considerable amount of turnover LT, but you've still got a few players: Clifton, Taush, Brett, Driver, Scott Wells, Rob Davis, Al Harris, Kampman, KGB, Bubba Franks, Barnett, Corey Williams (if he is resigned), Cullen Jenkins, Craig Nall (if he is resigned).

And the coaching staff still has some familiar faces from Wahle's time here too: OC Philbin, Edgar Bennet, Lionel Washington (a D coach, but was here during Wahle's time in green and gold) and you have Mark Lovat as a member of the strength and conditioning personnel.

Granted all the remaining players/coaches might not have been best friends with Wahle, but he might want to go to a place that has some familiar faces. Plus he has some chemistry with Cliffy and Taush, so that might be another thing that makes Green Bay appealing to him, assuming the Packers offer Wahle a contract in the first place.

But as you pointed out LT familiarity more in terms of city, environment, practice location, etc.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Of course Wahle is worth a look. Adding in the competition wouldn't hurt us at all. However, I really couldn't see him coming to GB for the type of contract I'm sure we would offer him, so it won't happen.

Oh well!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Wahle is worth a look. Adding in the competition wouldn't hurt us at all. However, I really couldn't see him coming to GB for the type of contract I'm sure we would offer him, so it won't happen.

Oh well!

Wahle IS worth a GOOD look and he may just want to comeback to a team that got him his start. My guess is he would be an upgrade over anyone we have there now.

Morgan is a huge ? right now. How do you utilize that player with Nick Barnett in the fold? Though if he could learn I guess he would be better??? than Poppinga.

Members online