Panthers drop Franchise tag on Josh Norman

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its crazy to have a sweepstakes this late in the offseason. But looks like we'll see one. Norman would have been the top FA at the very beginning of FA.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
something must have broke down. (yes, I'm captain obvious) I haven't been following this at all, but I wonder WTF happened. I mean teams are well into their Draft strategy and replenishment phase of the season right now. i didn't know you could tag and rescind the tag later, but not a great move if you're trying to stay in any players good graces and show goodfaith in negotiations.

a lot of the FA money has been spent, and now they make him available? Either they don't like the guy, or he did something to make them not like him. I have to believe they were prepared to pay the man his money as a tagged FA for the season or why tag him in the first place? To me it's bad planning or management or a case of the player did something the team wants nothing to do with anymore.

Or maybe i'm just being dramatic today and hoping for the worst. But considering some of the trades we've seen recently for high picks in the draft, this season has gotten a little crazy recently, why not more?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hes done in Carolina. Their GM already wishing him well etc. He'll be in a new uniform.

This has New England or Oakland written all over it. Man if Oakland lands Norman I wouldn't discount them from being Super Bowl contenders in the AFC all the sudden. They still have the $$$ to sign him too.........

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're saying JAX, OAK, and TEN are the likely landing spots.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy said we're gonna be surprised by our free agency activity this offseason.........

Norman to the Packers confirmed!!!!

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is surprising. Torn between what is more surprising today, the second overall pick being traded or this move. As for this move, he will go somewhere where there is still a lot of cap room. Obviously. I could only dream that we get him, but I won't be holding my breath. Oh and unless he takes a sweetheart deal, I cannot see him going to NE.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy's greed got in the way. Had many even heard of him until the last two years? He's 28 and is basically a one hit wonder at this point. He's trying to leverage himself as elite without proving he is. He out kicked the coverage and got caught. Maybe he'll prove Carolina wrong, but I think they'll come out better in the long run. It says a lot that they're so willing to make a very tough and unconventional decision and lose a star player not to overpay. Carolina knows him better than anyone, and they don't think he's worth he money he wants. Why would anyone else be foolish enough to give it to him?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smart money is on the Jaguars or Raiders for landing him. Boy is about to get paid by one of them.

Carolina overplayed their hand offering him a deal that was 2 million less per year on average than the tag and refusing to budge on it. Not sure how anyone can blame Normans "greed" for this when the Panthers refused to negotiate at all from their initial offer.

One a side not will the Panthers still get a comp pick even after recinding his rights? I'm a little fuzzy on that

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami did this same thing with that DE Vernon. Removed his Franchise tag and the Giants signed him hours later.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smart money is on the Jaguars or Raiders for landing him. Boy is about to get paid by one of them.

Carolina overplayed their hand offering him a deal that was 2 million less per year on average than the tag and refusing to budge on it. Not sure how anyone can blame Normans "greed" for this when the Panthers refused to negotiate at all from their initial offer.

One a side not will the Panthers still get a comp pick even after recinding his rights? I'm a little fuzzy on that
Yes, they will receive a comp pick because it counts as a loss in free agency.

Carolina offered what they think he's worth, and are in a very unique position to evaluate him. I don't think they overplayed anything. They weren't going to let the guy hold them hostage. The tag was $13.9m. So you're telling me that an 11.9m per year deal is unfair to Norman given his limited resume and being 28? Seriously, what had Norman done before last year? Carolina started to rise in '14, and his name may have come up then, but had you ever heard of him before? Norman was a product of Carolina's success, not the other way around and their front office knows it.

I'm not calling him the next Byron Maxwell, but I think anyone swooping in to pay him $14m per and expecting Revis is going to be very disappointed and be saddled with a painful contract. Norman simply has not put up the body of work to expect that kind of money.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, they will receive a comp pick because it counts as a loss in free agency.

Carolina offered what they think he's worth, and are in a very unique position to evaluate him. I don't think they overplayed anything. They weren't going to let the guy hold them hostage. The tag was $13.9m. So you're telling me that an 11.9m per year deal is unfair to Norman given his limited resume and being 28? Seriously, what had Norman done before last year? Carolina started to rise in '14, and his name may have come up then, but had you ever heard of him before? Norman was a product of Carolina's success, not the other way around and their front office knows it.

I'm not calling him the next Byron Maxwell, but I think anyone swooping in to pay him $14m per and expecting Revis is going to be very disappointed and be saddled with a painful contract. Norman simply has not put up the body of work to expect that kind of money.

Overplayed their hand in the sense that you don't come into negotiations and never budge off the initial offer. That's not a negotiation. That's drawing a hard line in the sand from the get go and makes the other party dig in their heals as well. Hense they over played their hand.

Also I never said I thought it wasn't a fair offer or that I didn't think he'll end up being what one would called overpayed. But anyone that blames a player for his greed in this situation is off base. He has exactly one chance to get a huge payday for the rest of his life. I won't blame him for trying to get more than what was put on the table at the start.

When one party comes in and refuses to budge from their initial offer and that leads to people blaming the other party for simply not completely caving into them and then using the argument "the guy hot too greedy" as a justification for the reasoning behind why negotiations broke down it is wrong on just so many levels

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

From the little I read, you hit this dead on IMO. This seems to be another case of a player being on a great defense and because of that, he looks even better then he really is. I think Carolina either already knew this or had an epiphany during contract negotiations and said "we don't want to be that team who gets stuck way over paying a guy". I'm not saying Norman isn't a good player, just not worth what he is demanding and I think Carolina made the wise choice. It will be interesting to see what team ends up tossing big money at him, probably one in desperate need of strengthening their defense.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redskins sign CB Josh Norman. 5-year, $75M deal.

Some teams just never learn. They've been becoming a decent team without throwing big money around. Now they sign Norman while having $11 million in current cap space so they'll have to cut other guys or push money towards future years.

Yes, Norman is a good player and it could work out, but recent big money signings across the league put the odds against it panning out.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^ I couldnt have said it better. Classic Redskins move. They'll never learn as long as Snyder is in charge.

Members online

Latest posts