Packs Sign Draft Choice Jason Spitz!!! 2 More Cut

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
The Green Bay Packers have reached agreement on a four-year deal with third-round draft choice Jason Spitz.

The Louisville offensive lineman became the eighth Packers draft choice to agree to terms, leaving just four unsigned heading into the first training camp practice Friday evening.

The 6-4, 313-pound Spitz started 38 games at Louisville and enters camp No. 1 on the Packers' depth chart at right guard. The Packers drafted Spitz with the hope he could fill one of the three interior line positions and it wasn't long before they settled on a position that was considered a weakness last season.

Still unsigned are: first-round pick A.J. Hawk, second-round pick Daryn Colledge, third-round pick Abdul Hodge and fifth-round pick Ingle Martin.
 
OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
RB Chaz Williams And QB Tom Arth Both Cut They Need To Be Down To 80 Players At The Start Of Training Camp. They currently have 88 or 87 players.
 

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
0
Location
Marquette, Michigan
Good to have Spitz on board before the start of training camp. There are still four more to go. Ingle Martin is probably taking awhile because with a backup QB there need to be a lot of clauses in the contract in case there are injuries to the guys ahead of him and he ends up (gasp!) leading the team.

Of the four guys left, the most important one to have signed before the first day of camp is not Hawk, it is Colledge. He needs maximum time to mesh with the rest of the O-line if he's going to start as a rookie. I want Hawk (and the others) signed as well, but I think Hawk will be okay if he misses a few days of camp.
 

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
398
Reaction score
0
Location
Trego, WI
:shock: According to roster on this site; GB has 99 still on the list. Does that mean that 19 have to be cut before camp?
 
OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
you do realize the roster is listed by numbers lowest to highest and some are not currently being used so there is really only 87 or 88 players
 
OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
0
you messed up then it starts at number 2 - 99

Numbers missing

1, 3, 14, 15, 17, 42, 92, 95, how can you get 99? I got 91
 

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
0
I like everything I read about this guy. His bad-*** temperment is going to infect this line in a good way....and combined with Colledge's known nastieness.....well, I must say I like the attitude that Ted is drafting...Hawk, Hodge as well....all smart, nasty, motor-always-running kinda guys.
 

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Joined
May 6, 2006
Messages
229
Reaction score
0
Location
North Yorkshire, UK
Spitz sounds like a good guy - and JS Online reports his salary/bonuses as indicating he will likely start.

On the roster ... How do we stand with exemptions for NFL Europe etc?

Chris
 

cheesey

Cheesehead
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
3
Location
Wisconsin
digsthepack said:
I like everything I read about this guy. His bad-*** temperment is going to infect this line in a good way....and combined with Colledge's known nastieness.....well, I must say I like the attitude that Ted is drafting...Hawk, Hodge as well....all smart, nasty, motor-always-running kinda guys.

CAREFUL DIGS!!! (You'll end up being labeled a "TT LOVER!") LOLOL!!!
I like the guys he's getting too! I like that get after it nasty tude!
 

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
2,486
Reaction score
0
Too late, cheesey......already labeled. Actually, while I am very supportive of TT and generally like damn near everything his is doing, much of my "support" for TT is actually in defense of the guy from some of the more errant and poorly composed criticisms that have flown his way.

That said, I said from Day 1 that TT would be drafting football players...not a bunch of nancies who dabble in the sport for pay, p@ssy and parties....and would rid the roster of that type of player quickly. Thus far, I am batting .1000.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
digsthepack said:
Too late, cheesey......already labeled. Actually, while I am very supportive of TT and generally like damn near everything his is doing, much of my "support" for TT is actually in defense of the guy from some of the more errant and poorly composed criticisms that have flown his way.

That said, I said from Day 1 that TT would be drafting football players...not a bunch of nancies who dabble in the sport for pay, p@ssy and parties....and would rid the roster of that type of player quickly. Thus far, I am batting .1000.


TT lover, batting .1000 isn't going to get it done my man. That's only 10%. And while I love this draft class and what TT has done so far this year last years draft set us back even farther. I'm being fair to him now you should also.

I do love Spitz, but the bottomline is who knows if he pans out? I THINK he has a brighter future than Colledge!
 

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
2,253
Reaction score
2
Location
North Dakota
DePack said:
digsthepack said:
Too late, cheesey......already labeled. Actually, while I am very supportive of TT and generally like damn near everything his is doing, much of my "support" for TT is actually in defense of the guy from some of the more errant and poorly composed criticisms that have flown his way.

That said, I said from Day 1 that TT would be drafting football players...not a bunch of nancies who dabble in the sport for pay, p@ssy and parties....and would rid the roster of that type of player quickly. Thus far, I am batting .1000.


TT lover, batting .1000 isn't going to get it done my man. That's only 10%. And while I love this draft class and what TT has done so far this year last years draft set us back even farther. I'm being fair to him now you should also. I do love Spitz, but the bottomline is who knows if he pans out? I THINK he has a brighter future than Colledge!

I was going to say that too. Batting 1.00 would be much better. However, let's wait and see how A-Rod pans out when he gets a chance and how Poppinga recovers from his injury to label this last year's draft class though ok?
 

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Joined
Dec 12, 2004
Messages
11,903
Reaction score
4
Location
Green Bay, WI
DePack said:
Misplacing decimal points have killed better men than you and I!!!!

Do you know why the Space Shuttle Challenger crashed? We discussed the issue during our programming class as it was relevent to programming errors.

They used the wrong data type on some vital configuration that caused it to crash. It was an extremely elementary mistake that even new to the world programmers know better.
 

longtimefan

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
25,383
Reaction score
4,105
Location
Milwaukee
Packers | Contract update: J. Spitz
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:51:36 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers rookie OL Jason Spitz signed a four-year deal worth $2.352 million, including a signing bonus of $742,250. The deal also included base salaries of $275,000 in 2006, $360,000 in 2007, $445,000 in 2008 and $530,000 in 2009.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Top