PackersNews Premium - Favre ...

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Jan. 28, 2006
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chris Havel
A gambler wouldn’t walk away too soon

MOBILE, Ala. — Brett Favre’s greatest concern shouldn’t be staying too long. It should be leaving too soon.

For the past 14 seasons, Green Bay Packers fans have lived and died with the quarterback’s gunslinger, go-for-broke, riverboat gambler mentality. It wasn’t always easy, but it was a lot of fun. Fervent Favre fans wouldn’t want it any other way.

Favre’s touchdown passes overshadowed his interceptions, his victories dwarfed his defeats and his childlike enthusiasm touched fans everywhere.

Now hardly seems like the time to retire.

He still wants to play

Favre, 36, has nothing to prove. He long ago cemented his place in NFL history. He can walk away from the game knowing that he doesn’t have to play another down.

That’s the problem.

He still wants to play. Another down. Another game. Another season.

What’s more, Favre is confident he can compete at a high level. If he weren’t, he would have retired after the Packers’ victory over Seattle in the regular-season finale.

Favre didn’t because he intends to decide what’s best for him and his family. The problem is, what’s best for them is watching Favre play and seeing the Packers win. Given Green Bay’s 4-12 season, the injuries and the coaching change, there is little reason to think 2006 will be significantly better.

The Packers can be considerably better in Mike McCarthy’s first season as head coach than they were in Mike Sherman’s last.

Here’s the hitch: Favre has to believe it.

Whether GM Ted Thompson’s trip to Hattiesburg, Miss., to visit Favre earlier this week hastens his return or seals his retirement remains to be seen. What is known is that Thompson wants Favre to return.

‘We want to win now’

“We want to win now,â€

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imho, he'll be back. i can just picture him sitting at home enjoying all this discussion - will he/won't he?? it's really comical when you think about it. i'd hope he'd make his decision known sooner than later though.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'll know before FA agency opens up. Favre knows he has to let the Packers know in order to get a playoff-caliber team on the field for next season. I'm looking for TT to build through the draft as he says but he'll get a couple FA's this year as well that are a little better than the Adrian Klemm's and O'Dwyer's of the world.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully now that Thompson has his own coach here, it will be easier to get free agents. Last year the situation looked shaky with Sherman's demotion and uncertain future, which probably scared off free agents. Now, if they like the coach they can be pretty sure that he'll be around for a few years.

If anybody else can figure out what the heck Havel means in these two back-to-back sentences from his article, please let me know:

"Given Green Bay’s 4-12 season, the injuries and the coaching change, there is little reason to think 2006 will be significantly better.

The Packers can be considerably better in Mike McCarthy’s first season as head coach than they were in Mike Sherman’s last."

HUH?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Greg what I think he is trying to say is that as bad as 05 was 06 could be as bad or worse. Also saying that it could be better kind of a quandry I am sure

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre will be back . Last year he lost weight to get quicker to avoid the pass rush . It shows that he still wants to get better. Bringing in McCarthy , the Pack's draft position , getting players back healthy ,and last years 4-12 season should drive Favre to come back and make the Pack a winner again . Being the competitor that Favre is , i don't think he wants to end his career on a losing 4-12 record . [/i]The Pack [/b]will be back !

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much the effects of Katrina have on his decision? From what I've read, there doesn't sound like there is much to go home to; things in Miss are still a mess and I'm sure the 12M salary can go a long way towards fixing that mess. Likewise, didn't his oldest daughter come to GB to finish out the school year??

Members online

Latest posts