Packers WRs - Best in the league

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy there... I'm not making that claim, Donald Driver is and Walker has a heck of a quote at the end.

All 'Four' One: Packers' Receivers Stand Out
by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 08/17/2005

On Tuesday night, wide receivers coach James Franklin commanded his receivers to set the tone for practice. He directed the veteran foursome of Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Robert Ferguson and Antonio Chatman to make plays.

Message received.

During Wednesday's fourth quarter drill, the Packers first team took the ball, trailing 24-14 with just over six minutes to play. Quarterback Brett Favre threw two touchdowns, an eight yard pass to Walker and a laser to Driver, who beat Chris Johnson for the second score.

The Packers' first team offense won that drill, and the wide receivers dominated Wednesday's practice.

"We've got four wide receivers that are the best in the division and the best in the league. We'll go against any corners," Driver said.

"We" is the key word. The Packers have a strong running game and only one football to spread around, but each wide receiver knows they will contribute.

Walker and Driver combined for 173 catches, 2,590 yards and 21 touchdowns last year. On Monday Ferguson declared himself the No. 1 receiver and said anything less than 1000 yards or 70 catches would disappoint him.

Walker agreed Ferguson was a No. 1 receiver.

"All of us are," he said. "The sky's the limit for us."

The receivers displayed that camaraderie after Driver scored the final touchdown in practice. Walker pretended to snap a picture as Driver struck various poses.

"Training Camp is hard," Walker said. "The little camera thing is just something to keep it fun."

Camp has become difficult because the wide receivers give their greatest effort each and every day.

"Of all our groups on this team," Favre said, "that's the hardest working group we got."

Driver, who has emerged from a seventh-round draft pick trying to make a roster to a Pro Bowl performer, epitomizes that work ethic. Two weeks ago, Sports Illustrated profiled his offseason conditioning work as one of the NFL's most demanding.

Driver is 30-years-old, an age when many receivers begin to lose a step, but he played well throughout Wednesday's practice and training camp. He said he is just approaching his prime.

"I haven't reached it yet," he said. "Now it's time for me to take this old body and continue to roll."

On the opposite spectrum, 22-year-old wide receiver Terrence Murphy was looking to push his way onto the third or fourth-string. Throughout the organized team activities and the early part of training camp before suffering a hip flexor, Murphy ran crisp routes and caught nearly everything thrown his way.

During Wednesday's practice, however, he strained the medial collateral ligament in his knee. Knee injuries always unnerve a coaching staff, but Murphy walked off on his own power before the training staff wrapped his knee with bandages and ice. The injury should not sideline him for too long.

"It was more scary to him because it had never happened to him before than ultimately dangerous," Sherman said.

Because of the depth at wide receivers, the Packers can better afford injuries at that position.

Walker, a four-year-veteran, continues to excel as a deep threat. Cornerback Chris Johnson, considered the fastest player in the 2003 draft, has run the 40 in less than 4.2 seconds and said Walker runs with him stride for stride on the football field.

Combine that speed with Walker's 6-3, 215-pound frame and remarkable body control, and one begins to understand his ability.

Said Walker: "I'd be scared if I had to face myself."

They are going to be awfully good this year. It's hard to see this offense finishing any lower than top 3 this season. And before you go doubting Ferguson just note that the offseason before Walker broke out he had Lasik surgery to help his vision, just like Fergy did this offseason.

Elusive Leaper
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Speedy & Strong

Strength & Determination

Can't Cut This

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At times I think the Packers have as much talent on paper on offense as the Colts do, but the Packers aren't quite as explosive as the Colts for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because I overvalue the Packer players, or if it's the system the Colts run. But the Packers have the potential to be pretty good again on offense barring injuries.

I just hope the O-line starts to come together so we can use the talent at the skill positions.

OP
OP
G

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's something on Chatman for all the little guy haters:

Training Camp Notebook: Chatman Develops Into Offensive Weapon
by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 08/17/2005

When Antonio Chatman first arrived in Green Bay after a career in the Arena League, he focused only on his special teams abilities.

"That was the only way he approached the game. He cared nothing about being a receiver," quarterback Brett Favre said. "I was ready to ship him out of here."

Chatman then reversed field like any elusive punt returner. Now he works hard at both special teams and offense.

"He's really improved as a receiver," head coach Sherman said. "He's done a nice job for us."

Last year Chatman started his first two NFL games and became the No. 3 wide receiver when Robert Ferguson went down with an injury on Dec. 19. He caught 22 balls for 246 yards and a touchdown. During the 2005 training camp, he has caught nearly everything as the No. 4 receiver.

He became a student of the game. Favre even tests him, asking him to identify the safety's coverage whenever he returns to the huddle.

"I have to read the same thing he's reading," Chatman said.

While improving his mental approach, Chatman retained his burst -- the skill that separates him from other players.

"He might be the quickest guy we have off the ball," Favre said. "It's hard to bump and run to him."

On special teams Chatman averaged 7.7 yards on 32 punt returns and 22.6 yards on 25 kickoff returns last year. Special teams coordinator John Bonamego has emphasized blocking up front to help him find a crease.

Chatman returned one punt for seven yards against the San Diego Chargers last week but wanted to stay in the game with the second and third-stringers.

"I didn't want to come out," he said. "I feel I'm going to really break one with how [Bonmego] changed the blocking schemes."

That's the kind of energy the 5-9, 183 pound burner brings to the 2005 season as both a returner and at wide receiver -- where he has earned Favre's trust.

"You've got to go to the big man," Favre joked.

OP
OP
G

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I just hope the O-line starts to come together so we can use the talent at the skill positions.

At the expense of sounding like a homer, I think the OLine is going to come around. The bookends of the OLine (Cliffy and Tausch) are among the best in the NFC if not the NFL. Flanny still needs to get the rust off but hopefully that's right around the corner.

Most of the preseason, at least the first two games, Beightol is going to try about every imaginable combination of guards to make sure he gets it right. But while he's doing that all the fans are going to see is inconsistency and instability. Add to that Kevin Barry, I'm sure you read the article 'Zona on how he is in excellent shape this year. Once Larry finds his guys the OLine is going to go. Plus, much like the Colts, the Packers should be able use the pass to set up the run.

Another aspect is Luchey, reports have been saying that he is crushing in his blocks lately. :Evil:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the Packers are the Best in the league. Remember last year when we went to play the colts we stuck with them the whole game. The thing that makes there offense better is the fact that they have better coaching on offense and also they in my opinion have a better running game. Not that they need it but it gives a defense somthing to think about.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBXU said:
ArizonaPackerFan said:

Another aspect is Luchey, reports have been saying that he is crushing in his blocks lately. :Evil:

I heard that too, but I'm kind of bummed that Leach got hurt. I still liked Leach's chances until he got injured. I still wonder if Leach had an indirect impact on Luchey, because it seemed like Luchey came to camp in much better shape than he did the last 2 years. It makes me wonder if Luchey felt a little threatened for his job with an up and coming Leach in the rear view mirror?

I still hope they only keep 2 TEs so they can keep Leach in case he doesn't win one of the 2 Fullback positions.

But I'll be happy too though if Luchey plays to his potential. If you could stick Henderson's head on Luchey's shoulders you'd really have a player.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
At times I think the Packers have as much talent on paper on offense as the Colts do, but the Packers aren't quite as explosive as the Colts for some reason. quote]

No. Sorry but no. The Colts can and do score 40 points against any team in the league week after week. They have just been out coached by Bilacheck with the help of some questionable officiating.

Reaction score
Phil, I would disagree with your opinion. We have excellent recievers, the best group that the Pack have had in a long time, and arguably ever. But you are right, the Colts are one explosive team, and I would think that they have better coaching. And add Murphy to the list of WR the Pack have, This is one deep and talanted group. :D

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
At times I think the Packers have as much talent on paper on offense as the Colts do, but the Packers aren't quite as explosive as the Colts for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because I overvalue the Packer players, or if it's the system the Colts run. But the Packers have the potential to be pretty good again on offense barring injuries.

Yea ArizonaPackerFan, I agree with you. This group of WR's could really explode this season. A lot depends on the performance of the O-line. The next few weeks should be interesting on filling those two positions.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Packer receivers, which of our receivers is the fastest?

Anyone know? I thought Chatman wa fast but I heard that Walker ran a 4.35 on the 40.

That is VERY fast.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Phil, I would disagree with your opinion. We have excellent recievers, the best group that the Pack have had in a long time, and arguably ever. But you are right, the Colts are one explosive team, and I would think that they have better coaching. And add Murphy to the list of WR the Pack have, This is one deep and talanted group. :D

Oh that was not a knock on the Packers offense. As a Bears fan I can't criticize any other teams offense. I just think that the Colts Passing game is as about as close to perfection that I have seen in a very long time (Chargers in the 80s!) I believe that if Manning had not been pulled in the 2nd half of so many games last year to huge leads that he would have thrown for 60 TD

Reaction score
I would agree. Man only if he got pulled in the second half of the Packers game. :-? The colts do have excellent timing, and I would agree that they are as close to perfection as any offense. Hopefully, Pack group emerges to be like the Colts. On another note, Phil how is the Bears WR crops this year. They got Mushin, who is a class act. But how about their second WR? I would feel a lot more at ease if the Bears had an average WR opposite Mushin, seeing as our CB situation is not the best at the moment.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree. Man only if he got pulled in the second half of the Packers game. :-? The colts do have excellent timing, and I would agree that they are as close to perfection as any offense. Hopefully, Pack group emerges to be like the Colts. On another note, Phil how is the Bears WR crops this year. They got Mushin, who is a class act. But how about their second WR? I would feel a lot more at ease if the Bears had an average WR opposite Mushin, seeing as our CB situation is not the best at the moment.

The Bears have improved that situation by dumping the whiny and non-productive David Terrell. The rest of the guys are very young but talented. They have two burners in Berrian and Currie. Currie was the fastest player in the NCAA last year in the 100 meters. Bradley looks like he can be very good (20 yards. per catch at Oklahoma) Wade has great hands and is turning into a great go to guy in the clutch, Gage has a ton of talent and plays very much like Randy Moss (long arms, great leaping ability) but without the attitude. I think that they could have gotten Ogunleye from the fins for Anthony Thomas and kept Marty Booker after the Rickey Williams mess. They cut Thomas any way and received nothing in return. Dumb.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's many good receivers...but Moss and Jerry Porter on one starting team is pretty scary. Can you "double-double" team?

Walker could play other places...but Driver I think is a product of the system. His skill is finding a seam and having great hands, but I don't know if he could play in the 'vertical' offense of da Raiders, for instance. Ferguson is tough as hell with solid hands, but a hair slow for some attacks.

The West Coast Offense thrives on short, precision routes and timing and the Packers have players to fit the mold. Walker is valuable because the defense can't sit down on the short routes or he will toast you deep.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree with Walker, I'd hate to cover the guy. He's big and fast not to mention has good hands. Too be he has crappy friends like TO and Drew to bring his image down, well it was his choice.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good comparison to the 1980's Chargers, Phil. Damn, that was one scary aerial show with Fouts tossing big numbers EVERY week.

Air Coryell, baby!!

That said, top to bottom, this Packers WR group has to be considered one of the top 3 or 4...and perhaps the best! We will have to wait and see!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our group of receivers could play in any system and any team in the NFL and play well. The Packers really don't play much of the old west coast offense anymore, it has changed very much in the last five years that Mike Sherman has coached here in Green Bay. I think, Javon Walker is not like TO and his friends. he never had been a problem before in Green Bay and through the first three plus of Packer Training camp, he has been fine and doing extremely well in Training camp. if you would see him every day out at training camp, you would appreciate his skills as a wide receiver. There was little boy from Manitowoc who wanted Javon to sign his little Packer helmet, We called Javon over to fence, as he walked by during practice and asked if he would sign the boys helmet. He said yes and did so. Does that sound like TO. A another great year like last year by Walker, will silence all the Walker critics

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should be one of the best this year,on offense. Not many teams can compete with the pass recievers we have and the running backs we have.

This year may be the last year you see the colts play like they are,James is in his final year,and I think Harrison is in his too. I thought I read that somewhere on the net. Could be wrong about that tho. :kickcan:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

Anyone know? I thought Chatman wa fast but I heard that Walker ran a 4.35 on the 40.

That is VERY fast.
I think it is Walker.

OP
OP
G

GBXU

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Obi1 said:

That is VERY fast.
I think it is Walker.

I think it's Walker too but it is definitely a very close race after that.

Ferguson is the strongest. And Favre compared his ability to Sterling Sharpe only stronger. For those who haven't seen it yet just remember that Fergy is a year younger than Walker and patience is a virtue.

Driver is definitely the hardest to tackle in the open field, he'll make you miss.

And Chatman has to have the best time in the shuttle run.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
GBXU said:
I think it's Walker too but it is definitely a very close race after that.

Ferguson is the strongest. And Favre compared his ability to Sterling Sharpe only stronger. For those who haven't seen it yet just remember that Fergy is a year younger than Walker and patience is a virtue.

Driver is definitely the hardest to tackle in the open field, he'll make you miss.

And Chatman has to have the best time in the shuttle run.

Chris Johnson said Walker keeps in stride with him and probably faster. Chris ran the 40 in 4.19 look at his calf for the tattoo of 4 on the left and 19 on the right.

Walker is the fastest in my opinion from what I've read and seen. Driver though is someone who can leap a dang moutain lol

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:

Oh that was not a knock on the Packers offense. As a Bears fan I can't criticize any other teams offense. I just think that the Colts Passing game is as about as close to perfection that I have seen in a very long time (Chargers in the 80s!) I believe that if Manning had not been pulled in the 2nd half of so many games last year to huge leads that he would have thrown for 60 TD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts