Packers Will Wait Before Retiring #4

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Should we retire it one game and unretire it the next for a season, then mutually retire it with the Vikings? Then brutally beat the Vikings that game, and tell them BACK OFF4 is ours, causing rioting and splitting of the Packers fandom again?

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe when Mike Holmgren is enshrined into the Packer HOF this year he'll put in a good word for Brett. He is forever the coach that tamed and shaped the raw gunslinger into a champion. Favre has to show some grace to TT and kiss & make up instead of being forever pissed at him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe when Mike Holmgren is enshrined into the Packer HOF this year he'll put in a good word for Brett. He is forever the coach that tamed and shaped the raw gunslinger into a champion. Favre has to show some grace to TT and kiss & make up instead of being forever pissed at him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"And no more fireballs. Please."

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. It would be a sad reflection on Packer fans as a whole as being immature, vindictive, petty and unforgiving. There's something to be said for being the better man, even as a fanbase.
I wrote that part in jest. And as I mentioned before that, I agree with Packers management that the number should be retired in a year or two.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's worth noting that Reggie White repeatedly stressed that one of the important factors that led him to signing with Green Bay was the presence of Favre. Would he have signed with a Favre-less Packers?

I thought it was where god told him to go....

Let's be real, he went where they offered him the most money. I don't think Favre changes much one way or another in his decision.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Technically sure. But Rodgers is an honest man, and he would still be lying even if "technically" it was the truth. Here is a link to a shortened version of the E:60 interview with Rodgers.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Most here know I am not a Favre fan by any means..I hated how he handled all of it, hated how others got blame for losses when he would toss 5 ints.....Hated how people refuse to give him blame for the Giants loss...

But I can tell you, Brett did reach out and for what ever reason Rodgers never called/texted/emailed him back...Honestly I dont blame Rodgers for doing it..But Rodgers is telling half truths in that interview...Almost like how Brett would do..so maybe Rodgers did learn from Brett on somethings lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Let's be real, he went where they offered him the most money. I don't think Favre changes much one way or another in his decision.

Reggie was on record stating he wanted to play with Brett...

But yes...I think Reggie would have gone to the highest bidder

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOF, yes. Retired number? I'd issue #4 to the first undrafted free agent punter to sign a camp contract...

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think White was lying when he emphasized the role Favre played in his decision. Certainly money was a big part, but winning a potential championship was important too. Would White have looked at Majik, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell and Ken O'Brien at that time and thought "Man, with these QBs, we really have a shot at a SB in a few years"?
Without Favre there, I think it's questionable that White signs with Green Bay.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think White was lying when he emphasized the role Favre played in his decision. Certainly money was a big part, but winning a potential championship was important too. Would White have looked at Majik, Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell and Ken O'Brien at that time and thought "Man, with these QBs, we really have a shot at a SB in a few years"?
Without Favre there, I think it's questionable that White signs with Green Bay.

I'm usually in the group that believes its always about the money

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His # should be retired, no question in it. Can't understand the betrayal that a lot of Packer fans feel, doesn't make the slightest sense to me. At this point it makes me feel annoyed at any packer fan that dislikes him. They're worse than the Viking fans who hated him because he played against them.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"betrayal" is hatred against the Packers and wishing, and hoping for the team's failures. "betrayal" is going out of your way to call the Lions's Matt Millan and spending hours on the phone discussing the Packers offense and schemes in hopes that the Lions could beat them.

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the team that traded him in favor of starting Rodgers after he played for them for 14 years?

**** if I wouldn't hope for my opposing teams failures, especially one that traded me.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
longtimefan, could you link to a source to back up your opinion that Favre called Rodgers after the Super Bowl to congratulate him? Not saying it didn’t happen, I’d just like to see the source.

His # should be retired, no question in it. Can't understand the betrayal that a lot of Packer fans feel, doesn't make the slightest sense to me. At this point it makes me feel annoyed at any packer fan that dislikes him. They're worse than the Viking fans who hated him because he played against them.
What about the betrayal don’t you understand? Are you like some fans who are uninformed about it and want to stay that way? BTW, do you not realize that Favre retired of his own volition and about a month later was welcomed back and changed his mind again?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan, could you link to a source to back up your opinion that Favre called Rodgers after the Super Bowl to congratulate him? Not saying it didn’t happen, I’d just like to see the source.

What about the betrayal don’t you understand? Are you like some fans who are uninformed about it and want to stay that way? BTW, do you not realize that Favre retired of his own volition and about a month later was welcomed back and changed his mind again?

This can't be seen online, it was told by me from someone very close to both

So you either have to take my word for it, or think I am full of it

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This puts both the Packers organization as well as BF in an awkward position. It was inevitable that they were going to have to address this. The Packers are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't. No matter what anybody does, somebody is going to walk away from this unhappy. I think it is important to realize this and come to the decision that is the best for everyone.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

If it was indeed God, then God's voice sounds an awful like Sara White. ;) I agree, it was the money and everything else is pure 'fluff' and qualification

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO honorable behavior and betrayal can occur in nearly every human endeavor, including business and professional sports.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Brunell/Hasselback/Rodgers/Flynn are some of the QBs we've developed since 1992... Plus Holmgren's coaching staff & Ron Wolf's scouting staff would've built a winning TEAM regardless... Favre became a special player, but Single Handedly made the team special? I think that honor belongs to Reggie White.
It is of course a team effort. My comments were not intended to exclude anyone else. I am just saying that when BF arrived, things began to change. That attitude and winning tradition has continued on ever since.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If it was indeed God, then God's voice sounds an awful like Sara White. ;) I agree, it was the money and everything else is pure 'fluff' and qualification

It was Holmgren that left a voicemail saying this is GOD, sign with Green Bay

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It is of course a team effort. My comments were not intended to exclude anyone else. I am just saying that when BF arrived, things began to change. That attitude and winning tradition has continued on ever since.
But you did post this:
The fact is that if he didn't come to the Packers there is a good chance that we would be just as bad of a team as we were before he came.
That certainly looks like you are giving Favre the majority of the credit for the turnaround in Green Bay. That comment completely ignores the contributions of Harlan, Wolf, Holmgren, Holmgren's staff, and the rest of the talent Wolf acquired.

With that kind of posting it's a wonder you got kicked off of Favre's website. IMO Harlan gets credit for re-structuring the organization and hiring the right guy to run it in Wolf. Wolf gets the lion's share of credit for teaching the scouts how to scout, for hiring Holmgren and for bringing intelligent talent acquisition to Green Bay. Wolf rescued Favre from Glanville's dog house - Favre was Glanville's pre-game circus act in Atlanta at the time of the trade. Wolf and Holmgren excelled in finding and training QB talent and they had competent - or better - backups in place for nearly all of Favre's Packer career. How even the most ardent Favre fan gives most of the credit for the Packers turnaround to Favre is astounding, let alone someone who says he's a Packers fan more than a Favre fan.

It was Wolf who trained Thompson and Thompson who continued the winning tradition by leading the organization to another Championship, obvioulsy without Favre. Wolf deserves most of the credit for turning around the Packers franchise.

BTW Rocky11, it is an interesting juxtaposition for you to post, "OMG. I don't understand how BF can stir up so much emotion. This is sports, not life." And then reveal you posted enough on Favre's website to get banned. Not a big deal, just say'n.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It was Holmgren that left a voicemail saying this is GOD, sign with Green Bay

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I was referring to a 4 year $17 million contract that would most assuredly get a woman's attention - that was a TON of money back then...remember the $1.7 million that Majkowski got? That was when a 7 digit contract got your attention, much less an 8 digit contract -- in any event, Reggie was worth every dime of it. Still and the same, without Harlan, Wolf and Holmgren pulling the trigger, no Reggie...no Favre...no Sean Jones...no Eugene Robinson...no Santana Dotson.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc arguments (Reggie came here because of Brett) usually have more holes in them than the 2011-2012 Packers defense. Such arguments never take the verbal combatants back to the real trigger moment - the hiring of Ron Wolf...and I don't carry a grudge against Favre. I appreciate the years he was with the Pack - he did his thing and was paid for it. He isn't "owed" anything else.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Rocky11 - Farber didn't "come" here. He was traded for by Ron Wolf. And there is absolutely no question he was rescued from Atlanta's bench. There is a bit where Glanville says it would take 3 injured QBs and a plane crash to get into the game for him. If anything, Bernt owes his career to the Green Bay Packers and the brass that brought him here, coached him and gave him an opportunity.
Further, he owes his career to the fans who sat and watched him throw the most interceptions in NFL history. I'm not saying I didn't love the guy as a player but it all comes down to the bottom line as a fan. The fans are what makes the NFL, never question that and when you spit in the eye of the fans you've become just another guy in the game to me. I really don't believe he has a place on the wall of honor. I think he squandered that chance at sports immortality when he disrespected the franchise and it's fans.
I'd rather see #21 than #4 up there honestly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts